csmith170

Before/ After Ikea kitchen + Scherr's doors, living room, bathroom

Csmith
3 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Houzz was a lifesaver while we were in the middle of remodeling so I wanted to contribute and share where we landed with a materials list in case it’s helpful for anyone else! We took our kitchen down to the studs due to a leak that damaged cabinets and floors and we added a window and reconfigured the kitchen.

Cabinets: Ikea

Installer: https://www.yelp.com/biz/365-fa-lafayette?osq=365+Furniture in Northern CA. Oscar was amazing to work with! He did a bunch of custom stuff for us and also made those cool toe-kick drawers. If you're in the Bay Area or nearby, I would recommend Oscar without reservation. He was super creative in how to solve for anything I was looking to customize, fairly priced, and great to have around, even when we were all home all the time. He did the cabinets, put up window molding, put together a few PAX wardrobes for us, and turned the dresser we bought into a vanity.

Door fronts: Scherr’s Cabinets - Tanner was so patient with me and I loved working with him. I honestly couldn't decide between the door styles so mixed and matched three of them throughout. They did the custom range hood to match the doors and also a custom microwave cabinet with a hinge to hide the microwave.

· Kitchen cabinet doors: Extra white, maple, 440 door (step shaker)

· Island doors: Rift sawn white oak stained with graywash, 400 door

· Built-in doors: Maple, primed, 700 door painted in white duck, flat, to match living room walls

Kitchen paint: Aesthetic white, satin

Living room paint: White duck, flat, walls, built-ins, hallway

Kitchen wall tiles: Floor & Décor/ Artisan Frost 3x12; https://www.flooranddecor.com/porcelain-ceramic-decoratives/artisan-frost-ceramic-tile-100500982.html

Countertop: Granite Expo- quartz slab in Calacatta

Electrical Pop-up: We had to do a pop-up b.c. I couldn't figure out another way to add an outlet to the island and be up to code. This is the manufacturer https://www.the-sbox.com/shop/ Purchased from here for maybe $350 but it's not on their site anymore although as of 2/25/21 they still had some in stock and were selling the last of their inventory https://www.kitchenpowerpopups.com/

Grout: Mapei White 00

Grout size: 3/16

Kitchen light: Fairview Triple Sconce, old bronze & thunder blue; https://www.rejuvenation.com/catalog/products/fairview-triple-wall-sconce/configurations/60248551892a6c10b31de89d

Kitchen Sink: Kraus 33" workstation sink; https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kraus-Kore-33-in-x-22-in-Stainless-Steel-Single-Bowl-Drop-In-or-Undermount-2-Hole-Commercial-Residential-Kitchen-Sink-All-in-One-Kit-with-Drainboard/1000957418

Kitchen faucet: MOEN Align Single-Handle Pull-Down Sprayer Kitchen Faucet with Power Clean and Spring Spout in Spot Resist Stainless

Island sink: Kraus Kore Workstation 17-in x 19-in Stainless Steel Single Bowl Undermount 1-Hole Commercial/Residential Workstation Kitchen Sink All-in-One Kit

Island faucet: KRAUS Oletto Single-Handle Pull-Down Sprayer Kitchen Faucet in Gold

Island filtered water faucet: KRAUS Purita Single-Handle Water Dispenser Faucet for Water Filtration System in Brushed Gold

Range: Used Dacor Epicure ERD48SBR

Counter stools: Safavieh Summerset Counter Stool or Ellery Counter Stool on Wayfair

Microwave door hinge: Blum Aventos hinge; https://www.blum.com/us/en/products/liftsystems/aventos-hl/programme/

Kitchen cabinet handles: https://www.etsy.com/listing/472750866/satin-brass-trane-drawer-pulls-and-knob?ref=yr_purchases

Island cabinet handles: https://www.etsy.com/listing/267274382/lucite-cabinet-knob-drawer-knobs-cabinet?ref=yr_purchases

Built-in cabinet handles: https://www.etsy.com/listing/575357264/solid-satin-brass-texture-knurled-drawer?ref=yr_purchases

Floors: Floor Dimensions/ California Classic Floors Mediterranean Calibria; http://www.californiaclassicsfloors.com/hardwood-flooring/Mediterranean/FrenchOak/Calabria-flooring.aspx

Fireplace tile: Floor & Décor/ Viviano MarmoPalissandro Medium Picket Marble Mosaic; https://www.flooranddecor.com/stone-decoratives/palissandro-medium-picket-marble-mosaic-100467067.html

Fireplace grout: Delorean Gray

Living room light: PB Alma Crystal Chandelier; https://www.rejuvenation.com/catalog/products/grandview-triple-wall-sconce

Bathroom tile: Bianco Carrara Hexagon Polished Marble Mosaic; https://www.flooranddecor.com/stone-decoratives/bianco-carrara-hexagon-polished-marble-mosaic-931100750.html#q=Bianco%2BCarrara%2BHexagon%2BPolished%2BMarble%2BMosaic&search-button=&lang=default&start=1

Bathroom vanity: Found on Craigslist, painted Hail Navy

Bathroom lights: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074W2B2YR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Electrical outlet in cabinets for coffee & hot water

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Under construction...

Construction + shelter in place + distance learning = makeshift glamping kitchen setup :-)

Chaos during floor install

Dresser found on CL to be used as bathroom vanity

Hundreds of hours spent in the Ikea planner

Comments (93)

• Csmith
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@dmac1108 I bought the island cabinets from Ikea and then Scherr's made the panels, baseboards, doors. I specified rift sawn white oak to get more of the grain and asked them to cut it so it ran horizontally and then he sketched out how the panels on the back and side without drawers would look.

Yes, your calcs for the countertop are right on. I knew that under the microwave btwn the range and fridge we'd have our countertop oven which we use everyday. Having the extra 3" + 2" in addition to the standard 26" depth has been huge b.c. we can actually put things there when we're pulling stuff out of the fridge, microwave, or cooking on the range. It also makes the regular size fridge almost look counter-depth which is what I was going for with the deeper side panel and above fridge cabinets. I wanted the look of counter-depth but absolutely wouldn't sacrifice the space that comes w a smaller fridge w 3 kids.

Honestly for me, symmetry wasn't on my list of priorities beyond having the window kind of centered on the wall, which it really isn't. Since it was Ikea, it had the constraints of Ikea's cabinets so I just worked within that. The ceiling height is abt 10' (apparently the ceiling slopes so it isn't consistent), molding is 5-6", upper cabinet is 20", second upper cabinet is 40". The microwave cabinet is 23"+17". I designed everything on my own w many many hours in the Ikea planner and in the store, plus lots of back and forth with Tanner at Scherr's :-)

• T. Monkey
    3 years ago

Beautiful upgrades. I'm curious about your fireplace insert. Do you have details on that?

Thanks for sharing details - very useful for everyone.

Csmith thanked T. Monkey
  • Related Discussions

need suggestions for our bedroom

Q

Comments (44)
    I like second plan! That space will fit the wardrobe perfectly. Take all colors from the art. The colors can be lighter or darker than the colors you see in art. Take "Venice" with you to paint store and they might be able to help you choose good colors. Idea: paint four walls the same and see if you like that. If you feel the room lacks interest, then paint the accent wall. Choose a pale green that harmonizes with "Venice" and a darker green accent. Yellow + red accent White + blue accent
    ...See More

need help for my own room

Q

Comments (202)
    Pankaj, I just realized that initially you told us that the bathroom area was 12'-0" x 9'-0" and later you mentioned that it was 11'-8" x 8'-0". In the last floor plan, I forgot to change the bathroom with the new dimensions. Below is the floor plan with the correct dimensions for the bathroom. The bedroom is ok, I drew it 19'-2" x 12'-6". The new layout does not change the way things are placed. Everything still fit. The only difference is that the vanity is now 4'-4" long instead of 4'-8". and the toilet is closer to the shower by 1'-0". Can you give me the lengths of the walls K and L. They are the walls between the vanity and the shower area. I will send you the new layout once you give me the length of these 2 walls.
    ...See More

i need help for my formal living and unformal living and dinning

Q

Comments (300)
    I think a comfortable distance between the island and the counter is around 42". It seems that you have only 30" between your cook top and the counter. I might be a little too tight. The wall between the entrance and the kitchen could be 4' long instead of 6', you would then be able to move the island a foot which would give you more room between the cook top and the island. Could you switch the location of the toilet and vanity in your dad's bathroom so your enter facing a vanity instead of a toilet which is a lot nicer.
    ...See More

Ideas for front elevation!

Q

Comments (22)
    @Dar - We hired a builder and he gave us this blueprint according to our requirements. We started constructing with the foundation and then after foundation the real problem came into picture. Now i'm worried about the front elevation only. We have already decided to make the kitchen open n combine it with dining hall. As per your suggestions we can combine the stair hall which is in our hands. Let me tell you the most important thing, we are constructing each and every room according to "Vastu Shastra". So we are forced to place rooms according to that. We can't change the position of the rooms. I hope interior decoration will help us to flourish our home.
    ...See More
  • tartanmeup
    3 years ago

Gorgeous!! Don't know how I missed your post the first time around but happy to discover it now. Your choices are beautiful and cohesive. So much (mouse) work into sourcing all the elements. I admire your persistence and eye for detail!! Beautiful inspiration. Hope you don't mind my saving to my ideabooks.

Did I miss the timeline?

Wish you many years of happiness in your new spaces. All the best with the new family addition as well. :)

Csmith thanked tartanmeup
  • Rachel Gill
    3 years ago

What an amazing eye for design! Well done! Can I ask you about the toe kick drawers? Are these low ikea drawers installed in between the legs of the base cabinets? How did you go about that? I also noticed that you have your cabinets right up against your walls without a filler piece between the wall and the cab. Ikea recommends filler. Are you finding your set up to be fine? Thanks!

Csmith thanked Rachel Gill
  • Csmith
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@T. Monkey Thanks! The fireplace is a gas fireplace that the house was built with (not an insert) and we added tile. I'd painted the red brick inside with a black fire-resistant paint previously and used glass crystals inside fr Amazon.

Fireplace tile: Floor & Décor/ Viviano MarmoPalissandro Medium Picket Marble Mosaic; https://www.flooranddecor.com/stone-decoratives/palissandro-medium-picket-marble-mosaic-100467067.html

• Csmith
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@tartanmeup Thank you! The leak happened in Jan and the timeline was a little slow due to needing HOA approval for the window, insurance process, and COVID and the delays it caused in waiting for permitting. But we started the actual construction in Oct and were done by Dec.

• Csmith
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Rachel Gill Thank you! Oscar from the installation company did the toe kick drawers. He measured the space between the legs and I bought a cabinet frame that would fit inside that and the low drawer that fit inside the cabinet frame. He was able to cut several toe kick drawers out of a single cabinet frame of the same size. Ikea also had the soft push hinges.

Having no fillers has been fine, although we don’t use those doors super frequently. Here are more pictures showing how they open.

• dani_m08
    3 years ago

@Csmith: thanks for letting me know the details about your renovation. I really appreciate it. I am in the middle of renovating my master bedroom, along with another bathroom - simultaneously! Next up - my kitchen!

I can only imagine how difficult it was to deal with the leak - however - it looks like it was definitely worth it! Your kitchen truly is BEAUTIFUL! You should be very proud about what you’ve accomplished!

Csmith thanked dani_m08
  • Csmith
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@dmac1108 Such a huge amount of time and energy goes into remodeling and I always spin in indecision which is why I spent SOOO much time on Houzz and appreciated all of the user content! But now that it's done, I really do appreciate it everyday. Yours will be beautiful, too, can't wait to see what you share once it's complete!

• Candice Medina
    2 years ago

@csmith Beautiful kitchen!! We are going with Scherrs too. Your photos are an inspiration. May I ask what type/name of countertop you went with?

Csmith thanked Candice Medina
  • Csmith
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you! That’s awesome you’re working with Scherr’s, thery’re fantastic. The countertop is quartz, we bought it from a store nearby called Granite Expo the color/ pattern is Calcutta. I debated getting one of the name brand materials but decided against it since it seems like functionally, quartz is quartz, and just went with the non-branded version instead. So far so good, we did get some staining from some Indian sauces but baking soda was able to get it out, thank goodness.

• PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    2 years ago

Looks fabulous!

Csmith thanked OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
  • RedRyder
    2 years ago

Bravo! I’m applauding as loud as I can from Tennessee. You made so many wonderful decisions and have generously shared every detail for others to learn from. And I just LOVE the bathroom cabinet. Your kitchen choices are classic and very modern as the same time. Enjoy every minute in that glorious room.

Csmith thanked RedRyder
  • James Marshall
    2 years ago

very cool

• mabeldingeldine
    2 years ago

Fantastic!

• HU-558061979
    2 years ago

Thank you so much. Your post might be the most helpful post EVER! I need a whopping eight cabinet doors in my small kitchen and have IKEA boxes. This is perfect! Thanks so much!

Csmith thanked HU-558061979
  • HU-558061979
    2 years ago

Question - on your island you did the 700 series door. How is that different than the 400 series door shaker door? ? It looks like you did the 440 step shaker for your uppers?

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    2 years ago

Fabulous and stunning! You must be thrilled with this lovely kitchen!!!!

Csmith thanked Rory (Zone 6b)
  • Amber Bargstadt
    2 years ago

Did you have any issues mounting your doors with the Kraus workstation sink on your ikea cabinets? I purchased the same one and have read in different reviews you couldn't use doors with the sink because the hinges wouldn't fit.

• Csmith
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@HU-558061979 Thanks for the note, I'm glad it was helpful! Thanks for the question on door styles, I mixed up the door numbers and updated it to the below:

· Kitchen cabinet doors: Extra white, maple, 440 door (step shaker)

· Island doors: Rift sawn white oak stained with graywash, 400 door

· Built-in doors: Maple, primed, 700 door painted in white duck, flat, to match living room walls

• Linda Bui
    2 years ago

This is beautiful!
    Did Sherr do all the door front painting and staining for the island? I am seriously considering the white oak for our kitchen!

• Csmith
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Amber Bargstadt We have’t had any issues with the sinks and hinges. I wasn’t sure which one you were referring to so here are pictures of both.

• felizlady
    2 years ago

Your kitchen turned out beautifully! And you are lucky to have gotten experienced contractors to work with.

Csmith thanked felizlady
  • Csmith
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Linda Bui Thank you! Yes, Scherr's did all of the staining for the island so there was nothing to do on-site other than installation. Tanner at Scherr's sent a few samples of different stains and we chose this one so I'm sure they can send a few to you. Good luck with your remodel!

• A
    2 years ago

I love your new kitchen! I can't believe they never had a window in the kitchen before, it looks so much nicer with one! I've been planning a kitchen remodel and have been looking into Scherr's, as well. I've been really digging the white uppers and walnut lowers theme, but am afraid it might make my galley kitchen look small. I've recently seen the white oak here on houzz and your post and also really love it.

Does the white oak have the yellow undertones that that other oaks have, or is it more neutral/cool undertones?

• PRO
    2 years ago

Great choice of cabinet and quartz.

• Csmith
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@User Thanks, Ann! I just used the Ikea planner to l ay everything out. We aren’t far from Ikea so after I was done, I went in a few times to get different Ikea kitchen associates’ opinions and see if I was missing anything. I also went in during the planning process to get tips on how to use the planner since it isn’t super user friendly. I spent lots of hours planning out the layout and trying differrent options 😅

• Csmith
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@A Thank you! The rift sawn white oak can have whatever stain you want to make it warmer or cooler, Tanner can send a few for you to look at. I also considered using Rubio Monocoat stains and having it applied on-site but Tanner’s samples looked good so we went with that. We chose the white oak for the wood grain look and specified that we wanted it to run horizontally on all the pieces.

• bargainhunter
    2 years ago

You must be very pleased. Your house looks brilliant!!

Csmith thanked bargainhunter
  • A
    2 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. I never really thought about staining, and primarily focused on how the wood looked with just a clear finish. I wish think I completely missed their brief sentence in their website about offering some staining services. I'll definitely be reaching out to them about that. I also love the horizontal grain. It really stands out among cabinets with the grain running vertical.

Your kitchen cabinets are really one of the perfect inspirational photos that I have been looking for in cabinets!

Csmith thanked A
  • PRO
    2 years ago

Big transformation great job!

Csmith thanked OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
  • Megan Marelich
    2 years ago

How are you liking your scherrs cabinets fronts now that you’ve lived with them for a while? Really considering going with them for the white and white oak like you, and not semi handmade. I really like the idea of wood! Thank you!

• HU-558061979
    2 years ago

Hi Megan,
    I absolutely love my Scherrs cabinet doors. The quality is outstanding. Scherrs was wonderful to work with. The Sheers doors and doors replaced old Ikea Acrum doors that were brown. I would have Scherrs drill for the hardware so you don’t have to mess with it. Let me know if you have other questions. I went with SW extra white.

• Csmith
    Original Author
    last year

@Megan Marelich It’s been about a year and a half and the doors are holding up pretty well. They get A LOT of use with 3 middle schoolers banging around, a baby who is crawling and pulling on drawers, and a dog. There’s some wear with the white doors under the sink where the trash and recyling are since those are used the most. The island doors that are stained don’t show anythtkng and look brand new. This picture is the worst of it which isn’t too bad. We’ve had multiple spills and dirty handprints with tomato and chocolate sauces that I was sure would stain but didn’t so I’ve been really happy.

• Eva Garcia
    last year

OMG. What have I been doing wrong! This is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. You did a great job.

Csmith thanked Eva Garcia
  • Julie Yap
    last year

Wow can you please share which ikea system you got for the small drawers and the bottom? Would be great for dog bowl !!

• Maur T
    last year

Wow! This is such a beautiful kitchen and exactly what I’d like to do. I truly appreciate you taking the time to link all the details!

• nycjerseygirl
    last year

@Csmith your kitchen is gorgeous. I am so happy you shared it here. Do you mind sharing which Ikea cabinets you used to create the island and also what the size of your island it. Thank you!

• Shawna
    last year

Honestly, best kitchen I’ve seen on here in a while. Love the look, but I’m more obsessed with the function. Great job!!!

• RedRyder
    last year

Wow. Not only did you create stunning rooms with great function, you took the time to carefully photograph details and shared what you used!

Love the kitchen, how the family room got upgraded and absolutely adore the creative bathroom vanity-from-an-antique idea!

If Houzz Dilemmas gave out Oscars, you would win!

• Beth Bickel
    last year

@Csmith I'm so happy I found pics of your gorgeous kitchen!! This is exactly the look we're going for in our kitchen remodel and thank you sooo much for sharing every little detail! Question-can you tell us why you switched from wall ovens to a range when remodeling? My husband and I are frozen on this decision right now and can't move on with kitchen design until we give our final answer to the KD. I see pros and cons of each so just curious what your thought process was on this. Thank you!!

• Megan Marelich
    last year

Are the white oak cabinets also sherr? I love them

• Megan Marelich
    last year

Also, was this white oak veneer or solid?

• PRO
    FrameMyMirror
    last year

Gorgeous before/after!

• Jan
    last year

I like your kitchen. Do you also have a pantry? I’m short and those tall cabinets wouldn’t work for me.

• Emily R.
    last year

I can't believe I missed this first time round! I've been scrolling back and forth between the before and after shots -- it looks like you raised the ceiling 4 feet. The miracle of white paint, an extra window, and cabinets all the way to the top!

• Csmith
    Original Author
    last year

@ bethbickel Thanks for your comments! I switched from wall ovens to range b.c. I used the ovens only once a year. The tradeoff with the new window was losing wall space so the wall ovens were easy to give up.

• Csmith
    Original Author
    last year

@ Megan Marelich Yes, the white oak cabinets are from Scherr's and I believe they're solid. I don't think they do veneer but I know Tanner would be happy to talk to you about them. He's so great to work with and very patient with lots and lots of questions.

• Csmith
    Original Author
    last year

@ nycjerseygirlThe island is a 36"x24" three-drawer cabinet next to a 24"x24" sink cabinet. On the end is a 30"x14" two-drawer cabinet. This worked well to leave room for the plumbing behind the sink cabinet. I'd have to measure the island countertop to give those dimensions, I can try to remember to do that tomorrow.