iftekhar2012

need suggestions for our bedroom

iftekhar2012
11 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

i have a 1 BHK flat in mumbai, India on rent. i am getting married in 2 months, i want to have a living good bedroom and drawing before she comes to my flat. please help!

Comments (44)

• TanCalGal
    11 years ago
    OK you have a bedroom, hall & kitchen. Do you think your bride would like this bedroom?
    Eclectic Bedroom · More Info
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    j222b has a good suggestion, here's another: [houzz=
    Casa de Cocinas · More Info
    ] also [houzz=
    storm mountain ranch house · More Info
    ] and [houzz=
    Bedroom · More Info
    ]
  • Related Discussions

Need Colour suggestion for bedroom

Q

Comments (1)
    I found this for you
    ...See More

Seeking suggestion about a covered balcony area in bedroom.

Q

Comments (11)
    Thanks everyone, I'm planning to get my floor tiled up soon, and then later the whitewash. So before all that, I wanna do away with the construction part, if required to transform this hideous corner. I had the roller blinds in my mind to hide these iron windows, but I will also look at options for changing them windows entirely if budgets allow. I might have to use some false ceiling work as well. Posters, I don't think can find space here, but a lounger sofa-bed is a surething with some nice lights. Please do share some pictures of the lights and loungers and floor tiles if you may, for suggestion. I'll be obliged. Thanks again!
    ...See More

Wardrobe design & colour suggestions welcome for the bedroom

Q

Comments (1)
    Use a sliding door wardrobe, as you will have little space after putting bed.
    ...See More

Help! Need Bedroom Interior Suggestion

Q

Comments (6)
    Proportions in this bedroom are out of place. The bed is quite large and bulky to look at, and it covers most of the floor area. If you are planning to change the bed, then you can replace this with a smaller bed, preferably a floating bed(with no heavy storage beneath). It will give a sense of larger floor area. Next, the sofa/couch can be replaced with a narrow wooden console/table against the front wall. The artwork which is now hanging above the headboard can be kept/hung above the wooden console. The console can also have other accessories to decorate it. Now, the ceiling is not visible in your photos but the walls can change the look of this space immensely. Dark tones will close the space in and the room can look like a small box. You can go with lighter shades/hues for all the walls and add a texture/wall paper on the headboard wall. If you keep the same furniture, then colours which you can choose from are:- Light/pastel shade of teal Mauve or lavender Very light shade of pista green. The headboard wall can have a deeper texture of the same colour and you can hang a round decorative mirror which will reflect more light in the room. Make sure to choose curtains and bedsheets that complement the wall colour. These are my suggestions. However, it’s always better to take more opinions. Hope it helps! Do share the pics of the final makeover!
    ...See More
  • iftekhar2012
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Please see attached picture of my current bedroom. I have brown color wooden floor and same color 6X5 wardrobe. One 5X6 wrought iron bed and . room size is approximately 10X11. light yellow color paint on wall. Now please suggest something.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    We gave you 4 suggestions, did you like any of these?
  • iftekhar2012
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    first option given by j222b, is good Indian style. i want to know what color should i use for wall and what color of bedsheet i should use. What to do with my bed and overall space.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Well the walls in j222b's suggestion look like a light yellow with white trim. And the linens are white. But it's the headboard in j222b's picture that makes it look Indian style, your heaboard is not the same.

As far as arranging the furniture in your room, we need to see more of your room, all the walls, not just the bed.
  • iftekhar2012
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    One more picture which is on my mobile phone, please have a look at it. i think, one thing i cant change is wooden floor, other than that please suggest me a good color for wall or some more arrangements to make everything good.
  • iftekhar2012
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks!
    You really think that i should paint it light yellow or increase the contrast of yellow. Also please suggest what color combination of comforter should i buy? please also clear that what is HEADBOARD? one more thing, when i open my room's door, there is a window at front and right side is the bed lying as you can see on the picture. also suggest, if i can play with some other color... what color would go well.
  • PRO
    Christina Fusano
    11 years ago
    I guess first come first you should get your house painted or atleast get your room painted as it will give it a fresh new look as for bedroom sets, I think decide amongst each other for your specific tasts, for me I like contemporary designs, and they are quite in these days...
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Do you want your room to look like j222b's room? On my monitor the wall color is reading light yellow, if you like the room, paint it light yellow.

I did some research on the headboard and it turns out it is actually a decorative screen the designer used. The headboard is the wooden piece at the head of the bed.

The comforter in the picture is a terra cotta. Go with that. For the bedskirt you can match the comforter or go with white.

You can place the bed either under the window, or center it on the wall to the right.

What color is it you don't like? The wall color can be changed to white or off white. The comforter could be changed to black, or any color you like, but you'll need to change the wall color if you go with another color comfoter.

Do you have a comforter you are wanting to work with? What color is it?

I need more color information from you to advise any further.l
  • iftekhar2012
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I don't have any comforter as if now. all these things are new for me. Here in India, we don't use comforter for whole year. J222b's design is good enough, i was thinking that i'll paint grey on walls and keep yellow color comforter something like that. i want to do something which is good and usual.

i have seen many designs on Houzz, they all are looking amazing. But i think, execution is difficult, and i'll end up wasting lots of money. Also, i did mention that this flat is on rent, so i don't want to invest anything to flat.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    A yellow comforter with gray walls is fine. [houzz=
    Michelle's Master Bedroom. · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Modern Guest Room · More Info
    ]

Or you could use your gray comforter and paint the walls yellow and add yellow pillows on the bed.
  • iftekhar2012
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Again these two designs are looking fabulous.... but execution looks very difficult. Neither i have such beds on room or my bedroom is so big. i only want to make my room more lively with good arrangement... that's it.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    I just used those pics to show you how well gray and yellow go together.

What is your current concern? Color? Arrangement? Pattern?

Where you live, do you have a department store that sells bedding and linens and curtains? I would suggest you print out the pictures you like and take them to that store. There should be someone there who can help you pull it all together if you tell this person EXACTLY what you're looking for, better than I can help you a world away.
  • iftekhar2012
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    My concern is color and smart combination of colors.
  • inkwitch
    11 years ago
    For a rental, if you paint the walls, do you have to repaint the walls white when you move out? If you don't want to repaint, you'll have to work around a color scheme that works with white. Gray and yellow will still work well if all items coordinate.

If you have the room, a bench or a loveseat at the end of the bed would give you seating for watching TV. And putting on socks. Don't jam it against the end of the bed. Move the wardrobe/closet to the other end of the room, if there is another corner it will fit, to open up the area on either side of the bed. Definitely some lamps for the tables on either side of hte bed, but if you can find cabinets with storage, this will be a bonus. Buy very plain lamps, or you could leave this for your bride to pick out.

Do you want a cheerful room or a more sophisticated atmosphere? If you want cheerful, make yellow the dominant color. If you want more sophisticated, then use more gray. You'll need to replace curtains, bed cover, linens to all coordinate. The bed cover can be a pattern. The headboard you have is nice rodiron. It will look more emphatic if you were to hang a patterned cloth behind it, but not if you use a patterned bed cover.

It is important to take into consideration how long you expect to live in this space. FOr a long time, it is worth spending money to make it attractive and appealing, and your bride will be happier. (And impressed!)
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Ok, here's my advice to you.

If I were your bride, I wouldn't be worried about having perfect decorations in the bedroom. I would worry about how clean it is. I would want to sleep in a bed that has crisp, clean linens. There should be no dirt or dust anywhere and it should smell clean as well. Pick up and put away all your clutter and clothes.

Working with the comforter you already have, paint the walls a very pale yellow. Clean, or have cleaned your comforter. Change your curtains to white.

Your bride will want to do some decorating of her own. Give her a budget to work with and allow her to personalize the room for both of you. She will enjoy doing this!

Take a deep breath. Don't panic. Clean.
  • iftekhar2012
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you so much guys. i want to have a cheerful room so i think i should go ahead with pale yellow color only. and yes i don't want to spend so much on flat unless i'll buy our own... so these would make the room look good i believe now.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Ok! Send us "after" pics, we've earned them!
  • TanCalGal
    11 years ago
    Can you ask your bride-to-be what color(s) she likes for bedroom walls? You do not want to paint the walls in a color she dislikes. You could submit a floor plan so we can help arrange bed / wardrobe. It seems like you will only have room for the bed and wardrobe on one wall? I like the black bed. Maybe the pale yellow walls that are there are OK? This room shows a wardrobe in the corner-would this arrangement work in your room?
    Debra Campbell Design · More Info

Are you keeping the same curtains? Do you need privacy coverings for the window? Do you need lamps near the bed? night tables? If you want to keep the same bed covering you have, buy a red throw pillow for the center of the bed. White sheets are always nice.
  • iftekhar2012
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Please see the attached layout, i stay in 4. the picture u have sent, my bedroom is some-what same. on left side, there's a window, and yes i want to cover it up with good curtains. On right hand side, next to that sofa... there's a door for the room. Night tables are also looking nice. i think the picture u have sent is very live and bright. My bedroom size is 11.4' X 10.11'.

As i have mentioned on my previous msg that the bed size is 5X6 and wardrobe size is 5 x 2.5.

Please help me in arranging stuff in bedroom.
  • TanCalGal
    11 years ago
    OK. Some ideas. Arrange the bed & wardrobe as shown in the floor plan. Buy 2 small matching night tables in wood tone (one or more drawers is nice) and 2 matching black wrought iron lamps for night tables. This photo gives an idea for the lamps.
    San Carlos Craftsman 2nd Story Addition · More Info

Hang the painting that is over the TV over the bed. White bedding, white curtains & / or blinds, a throw pillow on the bed from one of the colors in the painting (blue?). Do you think you will need another wardrobe for your bride? Hang your clothes up so your bride does not have to pick up after you ;)
  • iftekhar2012
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    This is good.

What i have thought, i want to check with you. i am thinking that what if i put 2 colors in bedroom, one is pale yellow or any light color (please suggest) on three walls and little dark color at the back wall of bed (please suggest color).

You must have seen TV on another wall, i want to remove and put it on drawing room. and on that place, can i place wardrobe? because wardrobe has to be in the room, and no other place i can imagine for it. Now, when i place wardrobe and bed facing to each other at the center of room and adjacent to opposite wall... there will be less space in between them, is that fine?

I think if we select room color smartly, comforter and tables with lamps etc properly... we'll do the justice with the bedroom.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    If you don't push yourself to make a decision, you are going to run out of time!!!
  • iftekhar2012
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    that's mean what i have thought is right.

Please suggest few good color combination options.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    It wasn't meant to be mean, it was meant to be motivating.

We have suggested many, many color combination options for you. Now it's your turn to make a decision. I'm sorry, that's not something we can do for you!
  • TanCalGal
    11 years ago
    I like the idea of 2 paint colors, 3 walls with lighter color and 1 wall with a deeper accent color behind the bed. It is always best to base accent colors on art. Do you have an art for over the bed? The one that is over the TV?

Not sure I understand some of the rest: There may be several places for the wardrobe in the room. Cut a 5 x 2.5 piece of paper & move it around the room(s) to see where the wardrobe will fit. As long as you can open the wardrobe doors and use the wardrobe, you are OK. Wardrobe looks like it will be fine in niche where TV is OR wardrobe might be fine on the wall to the right of the door (see floor plan).
  • iftekhar2012
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks J222b for your encouragement, I'll put that venice painting over the headof bed. And at the right door you are suggesting, if I keep the wardrobe there, I think door will face little difficulty to function. Wardrobe and bed opposite to each other would be fine I guess.
  • TanCalGal
    11 years ago
    You are right, niche across from bed might be best place for wardrobe. How about pale yellow walls (3) and a red from the painting on the accent wall? This photo shows a colorful art on the red accent wall and other walls are a pale yellow. It's not easy to paint a high contrast accent wall. If you think it's too hard to paint an accent wall, how about a deeper yellow on 4 walls (taken from a yellow in painting).
    Contemporary Weekend House Sugar Hill NH · More Info
  • iftekhar2012
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Its good.this is fine.
    Thanks!
  • TanCalGal
    11 years ago
    You seem like a very thoughtful husband-to-be. Thoughtfulness is a good quality to have for a successful marriage!
  • iftekhar2012
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you very much J222b.
    Just last thing, help me with choosing 1 light shade for 3 walls and a deeper accent color for back wall of bed. should i consider light green or blue or pale yellow for 3 walls and what color should i consider for deeper color in combination with green, blue and pale yellow.
  • iftekhar2012
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I have drawn two possible layout as per my capability, please suggest which one is right, or any other layout that you can suggest.
  • minax
    11 years ago
    hello i would love to help you send me your floor plan with the measurements and the theme you are looking for... At my e_mail ( idmina@yahoo.com).
  • minax
    11 years ago
    i prefer the second floor plan because you can move freely around the space i think you should have a dresser as well.
  • iftekhar2012
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Where should i put the dresser, as you can see there is no much space left anywhere. and i want to keep it cheerful. please suggest.
  • TanCalGal
    11 years ago
    I like second plan! That space will fit the wardrobe perfectly.
    Take all colors from the art. The colors can be lighter or darker than the colors you see in art. Take "Venice" with you to paint store and they might be able to help you choose good colors.
    Idea: paint four walls the same and see if you like that. If you feel the room lacks interest, then paint the accent wall. Choose a pale green that harmonizes with "Venice" and a darker green accent.
    Bedroom Retreat · More Info

Yellow + red accent
    Bohemian Chic · More Info

White + blue accent
    Bedroom with cathedral ceiling · More Info
  • iftekhar2012
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    i like that idea... otherwise i am also liking yellow with red accent.
  • TanCalGal
    11 years ago
    OK.
  • minax
    11 years ago
    if you are going to paint your room yellow you should paint one wall only cause too much yellow will be over powering. For bedroom i suggest you choosing relaxing and fresh colors such as( blue, pistachio, or soft lavender). For the dresser i don't think you have enough space, but you can put a long mirror instead.
  • minax
    11 years ago
    Try to use soft fresh relaxing color, and try to make the bed very elegant and romantic, by using nice bed sheets with nice bellows. Also replace a rug under the bed to give the room the cozy look, and place nice paintings on the wall behind the bed.... It is all about making the right choice with a nice touch, if you have Ikea near by your place it would be very helpful.
  • PRO
    Vikrant Sharma Homez
    11 years ago
    Hi Iftekar salaam , mujhe aap plan mail kar de .. vshomez@gmail.com, aur aapke paas kya furniture already hai ,aur aap kitna kharch karna chahte hai .
  • iftekhar2012
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you so much people, now let me do something. Thank you so much for your expert suggestions.