montiadis

Advice re colourbond - light or dark for energy saving?

8 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I'm about to replace the rusty iron roof (originally red) of a red brick federation cottage in Newcastle with colourbond. The trims will eventually be repaired and repainted too, so the new roof colour doesn't have to match the existing painted trims. There are LOTS of different opinions about energy costs of light vs dark roofs. I hear that while a light coloured roof may reduce cooling costs in summer, a dark roof may also reduce heating costs in winter. (The house has neither heating nor cooling installed at present; I will live in it through both seasons before installing anything more permanently, but in the meantime the roof does need more urgent attention). The roof is VERY visible from the road (house on a corner of a fairly busy road, which runs downhill); I'm slightly worried about a super bright light roof being really reflective and upsetting traffic. I'd prefer a dark roof simply because I think it will look better (esp with a lighter colour palette for the wood trims and potentially some renovated tuck-pointing), but don't know whether the 'environmentally-unfriendly' criticism is valid. The roof WILL have an insulation blanket, but also there will be batts in the ceiling. Could such insulation offset the cooling/heating costs in any case? Does anyone have any tips or experiences to share, and/or useful sites for more information?

Comments (41)

• 8 years ago

I'm not sure if this is relevant for your area but our neighbours have a light grey(colour of a stormy day) colorbond roof and pigeons love it. They make a complete mess on it and sit on it most of the day. The house next door to it has a light beige/cream roof and the pigeons completely ignore it.

montiadis thanked hitchandthread
  • Related Discussions

"need to design space under the staircase"

Q

Comments (52)
    A houzz contributor, not too long ago, had made a wine rack out of 4'x4' wooden pallets, that are used in the US to move a load of goods with a fork-lift truck. Perhaps they have them in your country. He cut them in half so they were only two feet deep and stacked them up to high counter height. The wood would be a nice contrast with your concrete, might add a little warmth to the space. cascio.offsite@gmail.com
    ...See More

Need help for the living room, Indian/Asian/Tribal artistic

Q

Comments (501)
    Hi Ni, I just thought of something....did you say you planned to do the stencil motifs on the window wall? If so, I am thinking they will be mostly hidden by the curtains. I wonder if it might be better to stencil the long wall that is on the right side of the room when looking toward the window. I could see this being a pretty backdrop to the prayer box (I think that’s what you called it?) and your wood cuttings. Then maybe the opposite wall (the one with the kitchen doorway) could hold a large piece of art?
    ...See More

please help...hello i have one sofa set and 2 single bed one tv in liv

Q

Comments (76)
    HI RinaI do agree I love jewelbox rooms, but I consider them more cosy ... and with a grey marble floor it goes all Versace Italianate! I am trying to balance the colours by bringing in a pattern on the covers rather than plain. I feel this will bring colour without overpowering the room. In the pictures I showed above, the rooms are basically neutral but the colour is brought in via pattern - I think this might be the way to go...Ideally a green or blue on a subdued grey would be the best, but I dont know what the market is like for Sumit...Cushions can do a lot to tie in the other white/grey elements.Shelley - navy is a good suggestion, but as Sumits area is quite tall and thin, trying to keep the general area light Any more suggestions most welcome. These are just ideas after all and Sumit will choose what works for the room in the end ;-)
    ...See More

Need Design Ideas - Crowd Designing, anyone????

Q

Comments (13)
    Dear Mr. Maverick, Hope you are doing great. Seeing at your post its very clear that you are a passionate person and taking your designing process seriously. Also you are accepting that you are not a designer yourself which is a good gesture against those clients who think themselves superior when it comes to design choices but knows nothing in real. I agree with above replies to share some information about your house starting with the floor plans as without these no one would be able to help you in any way. Also you need to understand that designing is a subjective and time consuming process and doesn't happen in an instant. If its just about getting ideas then you can find millions on google search. But being on Houzz platform is a great thing as its full of many talented professionals contributing to the solutions best way possible. I hereby offer my services and request you to go thru my profile and works and see if it interests you. I can show more interesting works if you insist. Let me know for further more as i am offering my services remotely as well including couple projects in Ireland. Best Regards, - Ar. Ravi Prakash Email- ar.ravi2013@gmail.com
    ...See More
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

my personal research says light colour but not original silver look that creates reflective problems my choice for my new house is mid beige with black gutters and eaves to widen my narrow house good searching and check out the colorbond site which should have comparisons of performance for each color choice sustainable housing day sept 15 revealed roof insulation at R6 was the standard plus reflective foil

montiadis thanked suancol
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    What colours are on the house at present and is there a heritage overlay which will restrict which colours you can use? It does look like a darker colour would sit more naturally with the colour palette of the house at present.
    montiadis thanked Lyndall Emmanuel
  • 8 years ago

We have colorbond roof in Monument (almost black) in Sydney. We used ceiling and wall batts to insulate R3.5 and our home is cool in summer and warm in winter. Some tips I would suggest...

Make sure you draught proof as much as you can for winter warmth. Before we renovated we seemed to lose a lot of warmth under doors etc eg there are new shaped door treads that fix this.

I've noticed a lot of lighter roofs that look old within 12 months from black stains and seems to be from gum trees and possibly pollution. Mid to darker roofs don't seem to show.

There's a lot of professional advice that gaps will cause batts to lose their efficiency. Make sure your installer does a neat job!

Good luck!

montiadis thanked ozcoley
  • 8 years ago

Just look around your neighbourhood and see what colours exist and that will give you a pretty good indication if there are any colour restrictions in place.

If most of the roofs are the same colour, it's a pretty good indication that council has restrictions but definitely check with your local council.

Whilst you are in this very important decision of chosing a colour, you could in fact re invent your entire home decore, so I would seek professional help in making the right choice for the type of home you have and the ultimate look you're after in the end.

As for insulation, we have just had our roof completed albeit on a new home, we have a 22.5* pitch, yours looks more than that or at least as much.

We are placing factor 7 into our roof instead of the usual 3.5 batts as part of our compulsory energy rating but most heat enters and escapes through the roof so more insulation there can never be a bad decision, so colour choice should really be a factor.

We chose Jasper for our roof colour rather then Hedland which is the colour I originally wanted, now deleted, Manor Red, is probably the colour your roof was.

I am somewhat glad that I didn't go with Hedland, as I think it would have dated an otherwise modern looking home in my case built with Mt Gambier limestone.

montiadis thanked Barbara Dunstan
  • 8 years ago

Choose windspray here near Byron bay, love it.Check neighbourhood as some very light colours look dirty readily.Considered the appropriate environmental options and still happy with the choice after 5 years

montiadis thanked Annette Kern
  • 8 years ago

Tis a lovely house love the fret work.

montiadis thanked Annette Kern
  • 8 years ago

Not sure I would choose a grey like windspray, unless you intend on doing grey features on the home as well but if you were thinking of going down that colour pallete, then it could look amazing, as heritage homes can be a little too dark often and can really be transformed with lighter colours.

montiadis thanked Barbara Dunstan
  • 8 years ago

We choose Windspray as we did not want dark or light roof. For a heritage home this might be ok, depending on what you have to use. As you most likely will not change the bricks colour just make sure that greys are the way you want to go. Being on a corner yes you do have to worry about reflection and are you going to use solar panels too.

montiadis thanked Tracey
  • 8 years ago
    I would choose a white colourbond roof with whirlly birds as Oz is usually more hot than cold. Insulation is the natural choice to remain warm in winter and cool in summer.
    montiadis thanked damo_25
  • 8 years ago
    Choose the overall colour scheme first, working out what goes well with your brick and moving upwards to the roof. You don't need to be planning on painting straight away, although I'm guessing the paint will look pretty tired against the new roof.
    How much glare the traffic gets off the roof will depend on orientation. Sounds like you have insulation covered, which will make a huge difference.
    My experience with double brick houses in this area is keeping cool in summer (open the house up and catch the cool onshore of an evening) is easier than staying warm in winter.
    montiadis thanked Fiona
  • 8 years ago

Agree with Fiona.

montiadis thanked User
  • 8 years ago

The insulation blanket and highest rating batts is the best decision you will make.....I did and I don't suffer temperature fluctuations at all. As for the colour, you need to live with it.....I chose monument and I'm still in love with it.

montiadis thanked trudilicous
  • PRO
    8 years ago

Hi Montiadis,

A dark colour will always have a higher proportion of solar energy absorbed. Coatings/additives like Thermatech® may help, but the difference will always be there. I am unsure on the current stats, but info I got from BHP about 8 years ago.... zincalume sheet 5% absorbed, Deep grey like Ironstone about 40% absorbed, so the difference can be significant. You could do the front roof and flashings a heritage red, but do all the back in zinc? Alternatively or additionally, ensure you have good controlled roof space ventilation in summer (http://www.pureventilation.com.au/product/exhaust-fans/edmonds-airomatic-roof-ventilator-white/), combined with a duct from underfloor (some downpipe up through a cupboard works well!) to provide cooler air in the roof. Seal the flashings and sheet ends (anticon blanket does this if well installed), and my choice would be to spray foam the ceiling (http://www.sprayitsolutions.com.au/) as you don't get settling or installed gaps like batts!

Enjoy!

Bryce.

montiadis thanked Shade and Shield
  • 8 years ago

I see the next door neighbour has a light roof.

montiadis thanked User
  • 8 years ago

go with monument...classy and will not date

montiadis thanked nirlepa
  • 8 years ago

Thanks SO much everyone - this is the first time I've ever put anything on Houzz and I'm so grateful that so many of you have taken the time to comment and make suggestions. I'm still undecided about what to go with - taking all the points about houses in the immediate neighbourhood (sadly there are few that are alike and in the same position/orientation, ie so exposed), and it seems more common that the dark brick tuckpointed houses of that era in Newcastle have tiles rather than tin on the roof, so I've not found many 'OOH like THAT ONE!' examples.. Funnily enough, I was driving through Goulburn last weekend and there are loads, which gave me some good ideas (even if what to avoid).. mmm.. Ta for all the advice re batts and insulation too, very helpful. And yes, I hope to have solar installed at some point. Likely to be on the northern side and the road towards the house runs up the hill so while the house is exposed and very clearly seen, hopefully the angles will mean little or no reflection-distraction for traffic. (will have to research that later :-)) No heritage overlays but it's a lovely little house and I'd like to see it looking loved and cared for, it seems to have been reasonably prominent back in its day. So many of these little houses are being demolished for development so I'm feeling very happy about being able to preserve this one. Internally it needs updating (all very beige) and it's sadly had a lot of its features stripped out (but lovely ceilings mainly retained), and I'm about to get the cypress pine floorboards in the living areas polished. Its external fretwork isn't as ornate as many others (eg via googled images I've been looking at for ideas) and I'd like to see it looking sharp - while not Federation colours I've seen some really good looking combos with dark grey/navy trims, with lighter grey and white posts and windows; to my mind this looks especially good against the darker bricks.. could really make the contrast clean and smart; not too fiddly or overdone. Because the roof is SO exposed and visible its colour will have a much bigger overall effect on how the house looks.. mmm.. So, I'm really very very grateful to you all, it's been a huge help.. (I'll have to come back to ask about double glazing and other stuff!) In the meantime, my indecision is working in nicely with delays with the roofer.. :-)

• 8 years ago

As for the solar panels distracting drivers, stand a mannequin in a bikini up on the nature strip across the road.

montiadis thanked User
  • 8 years ago

A fresh lighter look to rejuvenate and lift the heritage style of this house would be to use mid and light tonal colours eg. Haymes Butterscotch (or similar) for barge boards, fascias, gable battens and posts with Haymes Eggshell (or similar) on the fretwork and gable infill. Roof and guttering could be Colorbond Ironstone (if you like a blue/grey look or Colorbond Woodland Grey for a green/grey look) which could be picked up again in paintwork on the rendered tops of the piers and entry steps (or Haymes Butterscotch again). Windows, eaves and rendered sides to the steps could be Haymes Eggshell keeping the colour scheme very simple and smart. Warm colours will suit the mortar colour of the brick walls better than cool colours. All the best with the project and well done for taking on the job of looking after part of Australia's heritage.

montiadis thanked Lynne Mewett
  • 8 years ago
    This may sound a bit strange but have you had a drive around Lorn, lots of federation houses done well. Also lots of new roofs, especially after April's storm. There is one very similar to your's that has just replaced its roof, but can't remember what colour it is, I'll check and report back.
    BTW if you look around Lorn stop at Icky Sticky Patisserie for a billion yummy calories and a nice coffee
    montiadis thanked Fiona
  • 8 years ago

I think your ideas about the charcoal/blue and lighter greys with the red brick are inspired! I also have noticed that many federation have the red roof tiles instead of tin roof. I believe that you would do well going with either the traditional Manor Red (colorbond classic) or a darker shade of grey from the contemporary range such as Ironstone or Basalt.

This picture of a renovated Federation house gives a great representation of the aforementioned colour palette, substituting the tiled roof with the manor red colorbond. With these paint palette colours, using the Ironstone or Basalt would work beautifully.

If you were swayed toward the blue/charcoals, then I would recommend colorbond classic Deep Ocean.

For the future installation of Solar panels, it may be aesthetically more pleasing to have the grey roof tones for a more seamlessly blended, less obvious contast of tradition versus technology.

Hope this has been useful!

Good luck! :)

montiadis thanked startreelandscape
  • 8 years ago

Unfortunately, Colorbond Deep Ocean doesn't fit with the era of the house. Colorbond Manor Red, Colorbond Ironstone or Colorbond Woodland Grey will sit better with the era if you are trying to be as authentic as possible (the last 2 will coordinate well with solar panels). The greys look stunning on the house above but be aware that your home doesn't have as much area for light grey paintwork to lift the look of the house and dark grey windows under the verandah will darken the look considerably, absorbing all the light....and heat (on windows not under the verandah). Just depends whether you want to lift the profile of the house or hide it. Important to understand that a paint colour scheme on one house does not necessarily transfer well to another house. Colour balance is also important. To be true to the history of this house simplicity is the key because it was doubtful that it was built for a wealthy person, unlike the house pictured above, noted by the degree of ornamental detail, the front garden size and the size of the house. The social history of each house style is fascinating......spare time reading!

montiadis thanked Lynne Mewett
  • 8 years ago

we just re-roofed our 100 year old tudor. installed a roof blanket (1.5) and ceiling batts (3.5). last week we had a couple of days around 35degrees, and the house barely changed in temp (topped out at 22-23degrees) Our roofcolour is surfmist with ironstone gutters. whilst i wanted a light colour (lots of homes in the area are going straight galv colour), i didnt realise how much lighter the colours appear outside with the sun on them. to be honest, i dont love it. i dont hate it either. but i am dissapointed-after spending nearly 30k, i had hoped it would look amazing. :/

i guess it doesnt really matter-after all, years ago, everything was just galv. provided they dont leak, thats the important thing.

montiadis thanked Connie
  • 8 years ago

Gal does turn grey with time. In the meantime it's not popular if it reflects heat into neighbour's houses, same with white. If this is not a prob, then, true, gal is technically historical, but it would have been tin.

montiadis thanked User
  • 8 years ago
    Go red, stunning tradition red. It will look so good.
    montiadis thanked Bernadette Brandes
  • 8 years ago
    @chook. I have never heard or seen a white colourbond roof reflect like galvanized roofing. My roof is white colourbond and so are many around me (new renos and new houses) that do not reflect the way that you implied.
  • 8 years ago

Light colours do reflect heat and glare, which is why they are used on walls in hot places instead of very dark colours. I'm sure you made sure that your neighbours would not be affected before you installed your roof.

Unfortunately, in our increasingly built up neighbourhoods, that is not always possible. In design dilemmas, Houzzers are given minimal information, so I always err on the side of caution when giving a serious answer.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=White+roof+reflecting+nuisance&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

• 8 years ago

The council that i am with current has updated their zoning laws to increase housing density ie. R30 to R40 and R40 to R60. This sift has been advertised for a while and people have been subdividing and updating their house/units all around me to reflect the new direction of increased living density with energy efficiency. The issue of heat and glare are minimal due to council planning. The only reason i know this is that i recently asked that council about roofing, permits, energy practices etc for that council as i was looking to repaint the roof.

What kinda threw me was that i have never experienced glare/heat like galv. on a lighter coloured roof except from galv. itself. Part of my job is to drive around at different times in different areas.

• 8 years ago

I picked a galvanised colorbond roof for a workers cottage i rebuilt. I liked the silver look and was depending on it for minimal heat retention. One neighbour - a good friend - still mentioned that they were concerned at the likelihood of glare onto the street. This never became an issue. People didn't need to look away or anything because it was too bright, but it was interesting that they feared this would be the case and it created some small tension at the time.

montiadis thanked Luke Buckle
  • 8 years ago
    I have a late Victorian brick house in south-west Sydney. Needed to replace the green corrugated iron roof and had heritage restrictions. Replaced with plain gal and navy trim (fascias/guttering). Never a problem with glare and looks great. Very original but still contemporary. Lots of people comment on the improvement. Colorbond is a great product, but sticks out like a sore thumb on a heritage property. And definitely insulate at the same time or it will cost more long term.
    montiadis thanked mummabwown
  • 8 years ago

Gal does mellow to grey.

montiadis thanked User
  • PRO
    8 years ago

Gal will go grey (mid to dark grey) over 12 - 18 months. Initially VERY bright. The energy absorbed changes accordingly, from sub 5% absorbed to ~35%. Zinc maintains brightness for longer, though still suffers some dulling. Say 5% to 15% over time. This can be avoided by coating with a product called 'Sharkhide' metal protectant, used to stop aluminium boats oxidising.

For there reasons many councils will not allow zinc or gal roofing (visual amenity, reflection issues), while making the houses more prone to requiring summer aircon at the same time. Surfmist Colorbond starts around 9% absorbed.

If purely for energy reasons, a light colour might be the only option. If going dark, I would suggest at least doing the 'less aesthetically important' sides and rear in a light colour. Your call. If you go all dark, ensure you have good roof space ventilation for the summer that can be closed in the winter, and lots of well installed ceiling level insulation. Spray foam is more reliable over time than batts, see Spray It Solutions or similar (they have the Formaldahyde free Canadian Icenene foam).

montiadis thanked Shade and Shield
  • 8 years ago

I am having my roof restored and having colorbonds "Paperbark" colour on my new gutters and downpipes to suit the brickwork, I was wondering if anyone out there had teamed it with either Birch Grey or Light grey Dulux Acra-Tex paint on their roof tiles.

• 7 years ago

If you check-out this link,

http://mydesignethos.blogspot.com.au/2012_03_01_archive.html

about half way down the page there's a period home similar to yours and in colours suggesting that a Manor Red Colourbond roof would come closest to the original terracotta tiles so often seen in his style.

• 7 years ago
    Barbara would never have picked your roof as jasper just shows how much light all steel roofs reflect or how strong our sun is !!
  • 7 years ago
    Woodland grey basalt or wallaby Monument is too dark and heat absorbing
  • 7 years ago

@girlguides,

Didn't realize that the roof looked almost like a zinc colour in thaty photo!!

I've attached another photo below that is a bit more true to colour.

Cheers,

Barbara

• 7 years ago
    The pic is of our games room. I chose monument for the roof gutters and eaves, as it matched the tile roof of the main house. I specifically chose black trimed solar panels so they didn't look so obvious as the house is set higher on the block.
  • 7 years ago
    Yes, I agree a dark roof is no longer a problem if this is the way you want to go.