ira_atreya

"need to design space under the staircase"

ira_atreya
10 years ago
the stair case is circular.I'm attaching the image.Please help me asap as we are about to finalise the plan. I want to utilise this space for storing nearly 30 bottles of wine,a sleek low ht. counter where artefacts, bokks can be kept.Few drawers under the couter to keep invoices etc. (daily use items).
Waiting eagerly for your reply

Comments (50)

• evierh
    10 years ago
    I think people are beginning to get confused about the meaning of "design dilemma". I think it means you have a design or idea for what you want to do, but have a specific issue or question about it. Do you think it's fair or reasonable, to post here for free complete design services?
  • frishkay
    10 years ago
    free design service? like what you do deserves getting paid?
    if you dont want to help then dont but some of us enjoy helpin others without expecting pay
  • evierh
    10 years ago
    @Frishta - Are you a professional, giving your services away free here?
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    ira, as you are new to the sight, I will add that you already have a good idea where you are going and are really in need of specific dimensions for placement and wiring, and so should be working w someone locally. Find Local Pros, above, may help. If not, get bids for your project, ask for references and follow up on them to assure a good choice. Good luck
  • User
    10 years ago
    If you search houzz photos you can find inspiration for what you want to do under your stairs.
    http://www.houzz.com/wine-and-book-storage-under-stairs
  • sugarcakes2
    10 years ago
    I think the dillema was that s/he needed storage for specific items and did not know what would work in the space. That's a dillema, not a request for complete design services.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Now, children!!! Tsk, tsk, tsk! Let's play nicely!
  • User
    10 years ago
    Leave it as is, paint it all white and a large Jeff Koons in the center of foyer. That's it and step back.
  • ruthmand
    10 years ago
    ira, I believe that sam0705's link will give you some great ideas and I apologize for the rudeness some houzzers have displayed here and elsewhere lately. I would urge them not to respond to some one's dilemma/question if they have nothing positive to contribute.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Rudeness? This poster needs help, but hasn't posted a single measurement or door window locations, heights, nothing. Needs help asap though. That's rude.
  • nasmijati
    10 years ago
    @sam0705. Your link is the best.
    I was thinking about storing wine only under the stairs.
  • User
    10 years ago
    @eztia - isn't it amazing what people do with these nooks? I am hoping to be that creative someday when I move out my strollers and Christmas decorations :)
  • S. Thomas Kutch
    10 years ago
    I'm confused.........you apparently have a set of plans that you built this from or at least I'm hoping you did seeing that it's formed along with the walls and I doubt it was accomplished by "what ifs" or sketches in the dirt on the site................so you didn't bother designing any built-in's or coordinating electrical conduits in the concrete for those built ins.......you don't bother with providing a plan, any dimensions and yet you want a design idea ASAP..........I'm sorry, but the lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part. You get what you pay for and it's usually worth just as about as much. I have clients who are paying me a fee for designs or drawing up ideas and plans, why should I spend my time providing you with design answers?

I would be happy to offer some suggestions.......like paint it white and go on the IKEA website and find something, but design it for you.............so you can finalize your plans. Not gonna happen.
  • frishkay
    10 years ago
    you could let a poor orphan wizard boy live under ur staircase haha lol jk. so i found some pictures i thought were a great idea. the first is a little office, thats what i call using space wisely. the second is a little place to put ur boots and coat ... also great especially if u have kids
  • frishkay
    10 years ago
    also you could use it as extra storage space, or even a place to store your wine
  • frishkay
    10 years ago
    i like these V
  • frishkay
    10 years ago
    most people on this website dont expect profissional help eaither im just an average joe and i do this for fun because i like to, not for money
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Ira - you are obviously working with a builder on this, I think you would get far more satisfaction by checking ideas on Houzz with the items you want to store in mind, save photos into your ideas book and then sit down with your builder and plan it. That way he can immediately tell you what is feasible and what isn't or come up with options to give you a better result or save you money. I have done this with my home renovations, had very successful results and the builders were delighted they could actually see the sort of things I had in mind.
  • laurae1967
    10 years ago
    What the heck is going on here? The original poster did NOT ask for " complete design services". They asked for advice which is what this forum is all about. Sheesh! Get a grip!
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    ruthmand - please take a step backwards and look at the issues here, there are many people on this website because they enjoy building and home renovations and decor, love the opportunity to help others and do so willingly, particularly when this is such a multicultural site, as you say it does make it more fun and interesting. It is quite easy to pick those whose first language is not English and most people do make allowances for that and go the extra mile to help such people. Mr. Kutch, is one such professional of excellent calibre who has willingly given a lot of his valuable time to help people and is a very valued member of this forum.

Unfortunately, of late, many posters have come here almost expecting "miracles", expecting everyone else to do things for them without any input of their own giving no relevant information and basically doing nothing to help others to help them. This is becoming very frustrating for those wishing to help. When there are over 1 million photos here of ideas it is only natural to expect people to sift through relevant photos and if they still have a quandry then post but also give as many details as possible. If people are not going to put some effort into helping themselves first then the fun of helping people is wearing thin fast - in other words tolerence levels ARE becoming very low. This is not a free design service.

I note you, yourself, recommended the poster check Houzz for photos, it isn't that hard, but it does show some effort from the poster and that is all everyone is asking.
  • PRO
    Scott Design, Inc.
    10 years ago
    Houzz management recently sent out a survey to pro's and asked for feedback . I suggest for those of you who find it difficult or frustrating to participate in this forum to state your case to houzz.com management. Venting here does nothing to improve or change the situation.

FYI, Houzz.com has taken the following position with a recent inquiry of mine… “you may find it helpful to ask some clarifying questions before giving any advice on the discussions. Homeowners often don't know what help they actually need, so Houzz is a first step in how they determine that. It's a great chance to help educate them and start building a relationship that may become professional when the time comes. The Houzz Team “

Based on this reply, it's up to the professional to determine whether s/he can be effective and efficient with the time spent on this forum.
  • ruthmand
    10 years ago
    Thank you, olldroo, nicely said. I do have to correct you on one point however, this is a free service site. If someone is offended by the question/dilemma, doesn't understand the question or has some other objection to it, there is absolutely nothing compelling them to respond. If they feel they want to respond anyway then it would be nice if they would do it in a courteous manner. That's all.
  • Jayme H.
    10 years ago
    I am thinking that type of staircase would look better kept sleek...without storage units under it...but maybe a bench or something.
  • Jayme H.
    10 years ago
    ...some pics
  • Margo
    10 years ago
    I have never read such meanness ! Shame on y'all and if you don't have something nice and kind and helpful then step away from the keyboard!!!!
  • Jayme H.
    10 years ago
    Any storage design would look better sleekly, clean- lined in my feeling...The shelving in the pic I posted could work, I think..and maybe some built ins- too...Or just nothing ...maybe a huge vase or arrangement of some kind..
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    ruthmand, I think the difference is that while service is freely given by many willing and generous people, it seems to be coming the norm lately that people expect it and even at times demand it and that is what is irking people, to the point that valuable contributors are leaving the site. I know quite a few regular contributors here who have requested Houzz give more advice and suggestions on posting dilemmas, especially for those with language difficulties, that would hopefully resolve all the angst and help both those posting and those wishing to help.

Another irksome issue too is the number of people seeking advice and then not acknowledging one response. We do like to think of Houzzers being part of one big International family and getting a response and seeing the end result really enhances that family feeling. As Michelle says, it is a happy place and we all want to keep it that way.

Ira - I'm sorry your post has become a sounding board for frustration here, please don't take this personally, unfortunately the issues have been a festering wound for some time and your post was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. I do hope you find a satisfactory solution to your problem and please don't forget to post photos of the finished result, we really do care.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Hellooooo.... This is a voluntary discussion forum.
  • Jayme H.
    10 years ago
    Yes...so let's just go forward now..let's hear some more good ideas!!!
  • S. Thomas Kutch
    10 years ago
    You're righty Jayme. So Ira, my best recommendation for you is to stop construction, don't do another thing, untill you fianlize your plans completely. Every space should be completely designed out as to finishes, built-ins, lighting, plumbing fixtures, windows, doors, railings, right down to the hardware and furniture........it is quite apparent you are putting some money into your home and to pull it all together you need to consider the big picture. Piece milling it by little areas will give a very disjointed look as compared to something that has been coordinated and everything supporting a unified look.

Another benefitt to a complete design is effiencey in the construction progress..... you're not starting and stopping, items that have to be fabricated off site are ready for installation when they are needed. Items that have to be ordered are done so in time to facilitate the schedule.

It sounds as if you don't really know what you want here, but how can we offer any solid suggestions when we don't know the look your wanting, we don't kinow what your finishes are, we don't have any particulars about this specific space other than you're thinking a desk and some wine storage........really any specific suggestions or examples are purely shots in the dark...........and that sir isn't what you need.

Speaking as someone with years of professional design experience as well as construction management experience, I personally think it is highly unprofessional to offer suggestions or solutions without knowing all the details and facts that go into good design. I could not in good faith offer you a design solution for this space without spending some time with you and getting to know the big picture.

Maybe I'm totally off base here and if I am, I apologize, but it comes across as if your grasping at straws here in a hurry and that my friend is not a good formula for a good design. Sometimes we have to take a step back and regroup before we can make positive progress.

That sir is my recommendation and with that and $1.29 I can get my cup of coffee to go in the morninig at the local cafe. Good luck sir.
  • bumblebee728
    10 years ago
    Good suggestion Jayme!
    Ira, I hope you come back and enjoy all the good things Houzz and the discussion boards can offer.
  • qam999
    10 years ago
    You need a railing for code.

Also, paint the concrete and install lighting.
  • Jayme H.
    10 years ago
    Not trying to say anyone's position is incorrect..just saying..let's go forward and offer a few suggestions...that is all.
  • ira_atreya
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Studio 1001 as u suggested i've roped in a local professional,but obviously v hav not been able to finalise a good design hence I posted the image here ,just in case I might be lucky.
    Astraea ,I think it's absolutely fair to post here for free design ideas to better our designs.It's not up to individuals, it's up to houzz..com.It's not as though Ihad the option of paying and yet I choose not to pay.Here there is an option of posting your query along with the image and get professional or unprofessional responses for it. I did just that.
    None of the professionals S.Thomas Kutch,is compelled to offer any design solution if they don't want to, without getting payed.If u hav a brilliant idea and u want me to pay for your services u tell me the means i'll do it.

What about this site...houzz.com...they are providing umpteen no. of designs, ideas ,images for free.It's such a great help.I discovered this site just a week ago ,as I'm getting my house done,i was on a book buying spree (for interior designs).I managed to collect 5-6 books ,but they are very costly,sometimes u hav to buy a book for just a couple of ideas.
    I am thankful to this site.
    My sincere thanks to all those who tried to help me.
  • Jayme H.
    10 years ago
    @ira..I am not sure how much clearance there is under there...When designing..I would stand in there/imagine what I plan to use it for to see how I can move around...ie : if a desk...when standing up will there be clearance, etc? Good Luck.
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    Ira, I am glad to see you post, and hope that either my or sam's research referrals was of assistance. As you can see from the quality of posts having little to do with wine storage, it is important to stay connected to your own problem thread as much as possible, and even more important to state what that problem is. Professionals and wine lovers alike are happy to give suggestions and brainstorm actual problems, and you have not, even now, stated yours.(Displeasure, in and of itself, does not signify). These same folks were quick to feel the professional slight to both themselves and whomever you are working with (and now against) in making a blanket design request. In fairness, you are not alone: design students have tried the same - and gotten as far. You already have a clear design idea .Stating your design issues (and at this point you may want to choose a new thread) may lead to better recommendations. I hope this may be of some help, and wish you and your contractor luck with your project.
  • PRO
    LEWIS & KLADDER
    10 years ago
    The Design Directors of INSTUDO would suggest a 36" tall "L" shaped contemporary cabinets that terminate to conform with the shape under the staircase. Use a beautiful wood finish and a thick flat profile stone top in a similar color of the wood. Alternate grids of storage drawers, doors, wine storage and open shelves. Done right this solution will blend well with any design style. Use good custom cabinet makers and stone suppliers.
  • bumblebee728
    10 years ago
    Have you considered putting the wine storage on the opposite wall along with bookcases?
    Some large urns in the niche? I was going to suggest a seating area with sconces there, if you put wine storage and bookcases on opposite wall but the area seems to be too low.
    Bocci pendants hanging from ceiling or a chandelier?
    Just some ideas.
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    *L* Well done and impeccably timed devination, INSTUDIO!
  • penelopesdreamydesigns
    10 years ago
    For Ira_
    See if you like any of these ideas : )
    http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/11468423/thumbs

click on Ideabook: wine under the staircase ideas under the photograph to get to the ideabook
  • mcbriec
    10 years ago
    This is a very glamorous staircase so the plan about what goes beneath it should be equally glamorous. Given its beauty, I would not try to make it a utility/desk type area and would really try to maintain the sinuous, i.e., sleek and curvy, nature of the staircase when deciding to add anything. Frankly, if space permits, I would keep it purely artistic rather than functional.
  • PRO
    WineRacks
    10 years ago
    Ira, if you're looking to put a wine cellar in that space then feel free to fill out our online questionnaire: http://www.wineracks.com/custom-wine-cellars/cellar-design-form.htm

We offer a free consultation and would be happy to see how we can help
  • Sarah
    9 years ago
    The space is already so raw. Are you staying with the raw element of cement etc. If so Im envisioning more raw elements under the stairs whether its old barrels, reclaimed wood etc.
  • Nancy Walton
    9 years ago
    This posting is over a year old.
  • Sarah
    9 years ago
    Lol i didnt even look at the date!!
  • PRO
    Cascio Associates - Site Planning - Landscape Arch
    8 years ago

A houzz contributor, not too long ago, had made a wine rack out of 4'x4' wooden pallets, that are used in the US to move a load of goods with a fork-lift truck. Perhaps they have them in your country.

He cut them in half so they were only two feet deep and stacked them up to high counter height. The wood would be a nice contrast with your concrete, might add a little warmth to the space.

cascio.offsite@gmail.com

• PRO
    Interior Designing Web
    6 years ago

Make cupboard or extra storage space under the stair which will enhance the beauty of your home and make an adorable way to arrange many things.

• PRO
    Red Carpets
    6 years ago
    Hi, cn u share the image of the staircase, I hav recently designed a bar counter under staircase