bradfordj

Kitchen Remodel...Great space and light but too many options

bradfordj
11 years ago
We close on a short-sale next week, but my wife has concerns about moving...due in large part to the multiple remodel projects required. Thus, I want to provide a design for the kitchen first and get it done ASAP (if the design prompts her to agree to keep it). The kitchen is 23 x 14 and open to a 24 x 14 vaulted family room (on the side with the built-in table). . It has tons of light, and was a top-notch ktichen remodel...in the 80s. The picture was from a few years back, it is now missing cabinets doors, has cracked counters, and fixtures are broken. We would like a traditional kitchen with a mixture of tone (avoiding all white, or all dark). Some contemporary features are interesting, but not to the point of large metal surfaces or finishes. The windows overlook a pond and woods, a nice accent not seen in the picture. I would like to keep the cost below 70K. The house is a 70s walkout rambler, so there is not a distinct style to integrate. Any ideas are welcome. Thank you in advance!

Comments (25)

• deppner
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Your kitchen is beautiful and has so much potential! The first thing I would do is get rid of the low seating and replace it with a bar that has seating on both sides. That way you would be able to enjoy the nice view of the pond while dining:) I would make it higher then the counter tops. I would also put a nice piece of art above the kitchen sink window or a large artistic clock. It just looks like a nice focal point for something interesting in this photo. I think I would continue the bar across the kitchen so that it will cover the sink and any mess in the kitchen from the living area (kitchens can get messy). It will be higher then the counters and a great place to dine while looking out onto the pond and trees.
  • ruthmand
    11 years ago
    Are you sure you want a traditional kitchen in your 70s rambler? Everything in this photo, particularly the windows, point to a bit more contemporary style. Houzz has gazillions of kitchen photos for the various styles with fabulous ideas. I would urge you to look through there and see what catches your eye and go from there
  • Related Discussions

Need help for the interiors of my new house which is too small

Q

Comments (12)
    That was a hard nut to crack! I've tried many options and this one had the most space. Downside is the bed has to go along the wall. There can be plenty of cabinets in there, but not a large dresser. It would be ideal if your bed could be raised, so you can have drawers/low cabinets underneath it for storage.
    ...See More

"need to design space under the staircase"

Q

Comments (52)
    A houzz contributor, not too long ago, had made a wine rack out of 4'x4' wooden pallets, that are used in the US to move a load of goods with a fork-lift truck. Perhaps they have them in your country. He cut them in half so they were only two feet deep and stacked them up to high counter height. The wood would be a nice contrast with your concrete, might add a little warmth to the space. cascio.offsite@gmail.com
    ...See More

Need help to decorate 20'×26' space.

Q

Comments (29)
    You've to consider some points before designing you celebration hall. 1) It should have proper sound proofing if there is too much of noise. 2) There should be more of decorative lights to give proper effect. 3)In this hall, there should be corner sitting or grid sitting, the center space or the pathway should be defined for the movement. 4) The cooling system whether its air cooling or air conditioning, it Should be effective, so must consult a professional for that. For any other help, you're most welcome
    ...See More

Where's the puja room/space in your home?

Q

Comments (14)
    One of my clients had no designated space for puja in their home, and they would have had to squeeze it into a passage somewhere. So when they came to me for ideas, I noticed in the floor plan that they had a beautiful covered verandah overlooking a private garden. The wall of that verandah was towards the east side of the garden. So I thought- why not carve out a rustic simple puja space here? Outdoors? The client was game. And this was the result- a 2'-0" x 2'-6" wood panelled niche in the wall, with a simple clay Krishna placed on a wooden bracket with a delicate hanging brass lamp
    ...See More
  • PRO
    PoshHaus
    11 years ago
    You have a solid base to work on. Nice open area.
  • bradfordj
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    ruthmand - I agree, to a degree. If there were such a thing a "traditional contemporary" it would be more accurate to describe what I envision. Looking through the pictures on this site, some of the contemporary ktichens steer too much towards a "modern" look for my taste. The house was designed as a 70s version of contemporary, but I don't necessarily want to keep it the same...especially the entire wall of mirrors in the dining/sitting room :)
  • bradfordj
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    AMN - very well said. Maybe to combine my response to ruthmand with your observation, I think what I envision could be called "natural contemporary," rather than traditional. Specifically to tie the interior to the beauty of the big lot with heron, deer, ducks, etc in the backyard. Not that I want wallpaper with little ducks...rather the emphasis on wood and stone.
  • PRO
    Total Kitchen Store by Kelly
    11 years ago
    Hi bradfordj,

If you give me the dimensions of the kitchen and a rough layout of the existing cabinet spaces, I can give you a rough estimate of what it would cost for me to supply you with cabinets. I can definitely be well below 70k, but you will need to hire a contractor install them. Once I have a rough layout, we can choose colors and door styles very easily. Please let me know. If you'd like a quote from my company please visit our website www.totalkitchenstore.com. I'd love to help you layout your kitchen and I know I can save you money!
  • Jo Allan
    11 years ago
    Great ideas posted. I will add the minor suggestion if you do move to add some visual interest and homey feel with sml details like big bowls of colorful fruit, a sml interesting print on a stand and or a cook book sitting open, pops of color with one or two plants on the floor in contemporary containers (big enough to impact pics) plus one beautiful bright colored orchid, etc. There is a house for sale near us and the rooms look so sterile and not inviting...it doesn't show well even though in general it's a good house. Good luck!
  • housebuilduk
    11 years ago
    Go to Rebecca Robeson her contemporary modern twist are brilliant and have a look on You Tube at her contemporary modern home which is beautiful and she is also very aware of cost constraints which is brilliant.Robeson Design Studios just rock.
  • Christine W
    11 years ago
    I actually like what you have and with minor tweaks you can straddle the contemporary with the traditional. What comes to my mind are

-Stain the doors (if they are made of wood)
    -Add detail mouldings around the doors to create a more traditional panel
    -eliminate that sit down counter and then extend the island and buy a lighter slab of granite and use part of it as an overhang for seating.
    -change the backsplash
    -Change the lighting
    -Upgrade the appliances
    -Lay an engineered wood floor (maybe something handscraped) over the tiles
    -Change out those angular windows for something more traditional
    -get som simple roller shades for the windows or leave them uncovered.
    -Paint the whole room
    -Lay some nice pathway rugs to suit the new theme.
  • apple_pie_order
    11 years ago
    Looks like a great space with beautiful views. I appreciate that it is an old photo not showing the current damaged condition.

1) Are the cabinets too damaged to be reused?
    2) Can you post a floor plan? The area does not look rectangular.
    3) Are there two sinks, including one in an island?
    4) Is there currently a cooktop in the island?
  • PRO
    Butterfly Yao CKBD
    11 years ago
    Attached you a sample, traditional or too antique, you can try some feeling like this, white color cabinet with walnut color island, that's two tone kitchen, not everything white or dark. Match with a nice granite and flooring.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    Here is an example with mix of white, brown cabinets, along with some furniture-like storage units.

L. Cramer Builders + Remodelers · More Info
  • gunnsharon
    11 years ago
    Hi I have read all the comments of the above regarding your kitchen. You have a great layout. You have the cabinet boxes in place; just reface with new cabinet doors and yes eliminate the sit down table and replace with an island and granite counter with stools, new appliances and flooring would make this a wonderful gathering place. Yes you can be contemporary with traditional.
  • bradfordj
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I have to say the activity on this site is quite amazing. Per apple_pie's request, I am providing the following additional detail.
    1) The cabinets were apparently custom made in Italy in the 80s. The doors look like pressed wood...not solid. The hinges are very high quality and the boxes are in good shape but also pressed wood.
    2) I roughed-out a floor plan with adjacent areas if one wanted to consider traffic flow. It is pretty much a rectangle; the kitchen does come out farther than the living room wall...not even like the drawing.I don't have details on counter dimensions yet; possibly this weekend I might arrange a visit to the house.
    3) Main sink is in the corner by the windows. A small sink is also on the back of the island. It seems like windows over a sink get the most "use" since everyone goes to the sink several times a day.
    4) There is a gas Jennair cooktop (pop up vent) on the island. I'm playing with the idea of moving the cooktop off the island. All appliances will be replaced.
    Other notes: Corian countertops are gouged and cracked. They must go; perhaps some repurposed in the garage for work area. Most of the light fixtures are damaged and the replacement glass would have to be custom. I think we are better off buying new...plus the light fixtures are critical to the design (for me).

Thanks everyone!
  • michigammemom
    11 years ago
    This is one of my favorite kitchens on houzz. It is what I would call "edgy" traditional with simple Shaker style cabinets and classic subway tile paired with the drama of contemporary hardware and lighting.
    Mill Valley, CA · More Info
  • bradfordj
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I don't have a picture of the view out the windows, but attached is the exterior bird'e eye view. Dytecture - it is eerie that you posted that picture; the actual house is about 5 minutes away from us. I like it, but it is not quite what I envision. Unfortunately, I can "feel" what the space should be, but I can't yet translate it into materials and design. In that photo, I like the different woods, and the contrasting countertops. A less "finished" floor with more texture, e.g. shaved as previously mentioned, may work better in our kitchen. The comments here have been very helpful!
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    @bradfordj ... That is something that I chose a picture so "close to home" literally !

Interesting attachment you have there.
  • apple_pie_order
    11 years ago
    bradfordj- Thanks for answering the questions and posting the photo and layout. This kind of property (architect designed to take advantage of the unique site) really needs a professional designer for the kitchen. He or she will know if the Italian cabinets are a high grade of MDF or something else and if they can be reused with new fronts, for example, which could save you many thousands of dollars. Given the other work that goes into refurbishing a damaged short sale house that was originally gorgeous, you really need that designer expertise.

I can't resist adding that I think you should look at kitchen layouts that have windows on the "pond wall" instead of upper cabinets. There are spectacular examples on houzz if you search on "kitchen windows".
  • bradfordj
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Apple_pie - I agree that a professional designer is necessary. While I am a DIY'r, the consequences of not planning well is a little more than just pulling apart a door and reinstalling (did that last weekend). I just wanted to thoroughly think through what we want first with the intent to:
    1) minimize influence of bias from the individual designer. Even if they really want to think like you, they are only human (at least I've been told) and their own preferences will influence the guidance they provide.
    2) If the designer can spend less time extracting the mental image of what we want, the more time they can spend making it a reality.
    I'm in awe of what a good designer can do, both for function and beauty, and won't flinch to make that investment.
  • apple_pie_order
    11 years ago
    Bradfordj: I agree with your reasoning. IME, designers get a much better idea of what you want when you do your homework. Then you can show them pictures, floor plan sketches, a prioritized wish list and a budget. Not to mention a hefty reserve for contingency.
  • housebuilduk
    11 years ago
    Fantastic,practical help from really useful ideas all emannating from this Houzz community.I will be using this a lot in our remodel.
  • alwaysdesigning
    11 years ago
    You have a very nice kitchen space to work with. What I would recommend is investing some time and a little help, billed by the hour so as much or as little time as you want, from a residential architect. Not expensive considering what you want to spend in making a kitchen you will love and not regret later. Please consider getting recommendations from a licensed residential architect. You will not regret seeing options from a professional who will integrate your own very personal design style. Good luck
  • apple_pie_order
    11 years ago
    What stands out in the photo is the flying saucer light fixtures. They were high style attention-getters. Without their pizzazz, the 1980's kitchen is quite sleek but lacking in wow factor. Depending on what you and the designer choose to emphasize, you could use spectacular new lights in the same way or pick some other feature such as countertops or windows or cabinets.

I'd look into moving the cooktop to a wall where a real hood and serious fan (like Vent A Hood) can be installed.

If you go out to the house this weekend, you might look for the Italian manufacturer's name on the inside of a drawer (that's where American manufacturers tend to put their stamps). Take a drawer home after escrow closes so that you have it in hand when you contact the original manufacturer to see if they offer new doors for those cabinets.

I think you will have to make a decision about whether you are going to fix the place up for your family or for sale. That will affect the budget and possibly the style of the fixup because you'll want to do better than break even after carrying costs and the 6% (or so) sales commission.
  • apple_pie_order
    11 years ago
    Bradfordj- I'm curious about what you decided to do with the remodel. Would you like to post an update on your plans?