sueny4

My Kitchen Renovation - It's all about the details now!

Susan Haggett
10 years ago
Our kitchen renovation, that almost didn't happen, is now underway! My original post was out of frustration over crazy high bids and quotes that had us ready to give up on the idea of renovating the kitchen despite what we considered a generous budget. Thanks to the advice and encouragement of many Houzzers here, we didn't give up and eventually found cabinets and a contractor we could afford. So here we go!

We're about a week in at this point, and everything is torn apart But we're loving the process and have discovered some very cool things about our house, which was built around 1949. Pulling up flooring uncovered the fact that our main hallway from the front door to the kitchen was never a hallway at all. The hallway was originally filled with two back-to-back closets, one facing the front door and one facing the kitchen. There was an addition added in the 70's, and the old back of the house is now in my back hallway to the back door. When we pulled paneling off, we discovered the patched holes where the original back door was into the house, as well as a window, and a hole next to the door where the light was attached...complete with old wiring still tucked inside. Interesting!

One of the biggest and best decisions was to pull up all the old layers of flooring. The layers on top of the original subfloor were....one layer of old vinyl tile, a layer of sheet vinyl, luan underlayment, another layer of sheet vinyl, a layer of plywood, and finally a layer of newer vinyl tile. Now it's all gone, and our floor is being leveled.

I'm attaching photos of the old original kitchen from when we moved in back in 1997, photos of the kitchen after we painted the cabinets, replaced countertops, and made some cosmetic changes in 2003 because we couldn't afford a full kitchen reno. at the time. It was supposed to be a temporary fix until we could afford a full renovation. And here we are 10 years later, in the midst of our dream renovation!

Comments (107)