theoffice0

Need Help with Open Floor Plan

theoffice0
10 years ago
I have a large space between my breakfast nook table and great room. The great room is a two-story area. Any suggestions on what to put there? We have a plant there now.

I don't know if some sort of room divider would be appropriate. Would it be better to leave this space open? I realize the breakfast nook table could benefit from an area rug.

Many thanks for any suggestions!

Comments (26)

• PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    10 years ago
    I would be more inclined to angle a rug in the bare space instead of putting the rug under the table where it will make it more difficult to pull the chairs in and out, and also more difficult to clean under the table. A rug there would make a nice, comfy play area for kids if you have young ones around.
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
  • User
    10 years ago
    A decorative screen might be something to consider.
  • Related Discussions

Need help with floor plan enhancements

Q

Comments (11)
    @soberg: on the toilet entry we thought we could have a 2 way access to the corner most toilet - one from the closet side and another from bedroom 3. @ eagledzines. Thank you for the sketches! On the high ceiling do you think we could juggle the entire layout of 1st floor a bit to accomodate a small family room (hall) where the staircase opens along with 2 other bedrooms. We are ok to compromise on the room sizes a bit and toilet / closet positions can be changed too as long as pillars are not affected.. The kitchen changes sound good. I was also wondering if it would be ok to have the sink right below the window. Thereby freeing up more cooking or prep space.
    ...See More

Need help with vinly flooring for open plan kitchen & entrance. Help !

Q

Comments (3)
    Thanks One Plan for your recommendation. Would it be good to go for Herringbone pattern in hallway and in the open plan vinyl straight planks and then matching tile in the decking area. We have shortlisted karndean vinyl for open plan (Von Gogh Distressed Oak) althought not sure. Also what type of anti-slip material should I go for if I had to matching wooden look vinyl ?
    ...See More

Need help for floor plan layout

Q

Comments (1)
    Contact a local Architect and he will answer all your questions and make suggestions.
    ...See More

Need Help for Floor Plan Exterior look as well as Interior Designing

Q

Comments (6)
    Hi, You need an architect to get a proper floor plan. You can get in touch with me on 07838154046 or write to me at pkassociates8@gmail.com. By the way, where is your site located?
    ...See More
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    10 years ago
    Well, I like the open floor plan and would not attempt to create a visual barrier between the two areas. Personally, I like a rug under the table and something you might want to consider is a floorcloth. They are not expensive, can be custom colored and are totally washable. I do see a disparity between the paint colors between the two rooms. Perhaps it is the lighting coming into play. Whenever you have an open plan such as yours, you will always want to create a visual balance between the two so they feel as though there is a very easy visual transition between the two spaces. I'm seeing quite disparity between the two areas. The kitchen is very light in nature and the f.r. is much darker. Is there anything you might want to change to bring them closer together visually?
  • User
    10 years ago
    Visually marry the two spaces by painting your dining chairs expresso and replace the dining corner plant with a larger one in a larger dark container. It appears the coffee table has dark metal? If so, darkening the metal trim on the dining light fixtures would also help. Pretty spaces!
  • bunnyllg
    10 years ago
    Would you be able to have a small bakers rack for cookbooks and or small plants like African violets?
  • lrm1
    10 years ago
    Have you tried turning the dining table the other way?
  • PRO
    Exceptional Home Designs
    10 years ago
    How about a knee wall @ 36" high that is wide enough to actually set plants in like the attached photo- I designed this between a Kitchen and Family Room in a home recently and the homeowners love it!
  • km kane
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    without the benefit of seeing other views of the room/s I would consider moving the sofa out to become the dividing line between the two rooms, and perhaps place a sofa table behind it. Photos taken from the fireplace/wing chair area out would help us see the space better. Best wishes to you!
  • theoffice0
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you for all the comments. Our breakfast table was moved from our old house, but I agree that the open floor plan creates a stark contrast between the great room furniture and the kitchen area... This is something that had not even occurred to me! I figured that the breakfast table and chairs would match the house's extensive trim and crown molding, but it does seem to stick out quite a bit. I appreciate Karen Paul's, Green384's, and PatriciaRHall's comments on this.

To LRM1, we had originally turned the breakfast table 90 degrees to its current orientation. However, it seemed to make more sense to orient the table in its current state since it lined up more nicely with the kitchen island and the great room furniture. It seemed to create a more distinct area. I wasn't sure if anything needed to be done with the space between the breakfast table and the great room. I agree that the space may look more visually integrated with darker furniture.

As you can see from the additional photos (attached), we still need curtains, an area rug for the breakfast area, and work on our dining room area. I wasn't crazy about the mixed metals and wood types in our great room (at first)... Any comments on that as well?

Thanks again for the insightful suggestions.
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    10 years ago
    Need Help with Open Floor Plan - Houzz · More Info

Need Help with Open Floor Plan - Houzz · More Info
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    10 years ago
    It's always amazing how photos of the same area can shed such different light. This is what happens with advice when we have a very limited view of what exists. So, "office", you will need to ignore every single comment that has been made thus far! First I would like to commend you on your good nature and stalwart spirit. Your house is absolutely lovely. So let's start over. In your second photo you show the perfect area for another rug which could do much for both areas. Interestingly enough, the kitchen no longer feels on top of the other room in your second photo as it did with the first.

So now you want to do windows and what else? Give us really, really great photos of each area you wish to address.
  • Kathleen Jamison
    10 years ago
    Beautiful home. I agree with others about contrast....light and dark.
    Maybe cushions on the chairs. the corner is not a problem. Needs no divider. I am not a fan of rugs under table with children.
  • Kathleen Jamison
    10 years ago
    Maybe the living room furniture arrangement is the problem. From the one picture looks like the sofa and chairs should trade places.
  • Libbmom
    10 years ago
    Kathleen...exactly what I was thinking...
  • kargus
    10 years ago
    How about a double sided glass cabinet, it will let the light pass though but give the space some visual interest. White cabinet would play off kitchen cabinets and tie in fireplace. You could fill it with nice barware, giving it a purpose.
  • km kane
    10 years ago
    Office, thnx for posting additional photos. Now that I see the whole space, my thought is that the little extension wall (where the plant sits) is the problem. Too bad it's there in the first place. 2nd thought is the sectional doesn't work in this arrangement. Two tough things to change, I know. Beautiful home. If it were mine, I'd place a colorful rug under the breakfast table, re-work the sofa and be very happy!
  • theoffice0
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, it's too bad about that extension! We had originally thought to put some cabinets there but then decided against it. We positioned the sectional to provide maximum viewing of the television. Thanks for your kind comments.

To Kathleen's point: Seat cushions would be an easy way to integrate the spaces (and low cost, too). I'd like to wait on a rug until the kids are older. At Karen Paul's recommendation, I have attached additional pictures of the breakfast area and the adjacent dining room. Walls are BM Shaker Beige for the kitchen, breakfast area, and great room. Dining room walls are BM Philadelphia Cream. Perhaps curtains around the breakfast area that are beige/taupe with dark brown accents of sorts? We stuck with a yellow/gold theme for our dining room. How "matchey" does everything need to be? The kids have taken over the dining room table with Legos...
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    10 years ago
    What is the horizontal piece running across your living room window?
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    10 years ago
    When you are asking about "matchey" regarding windows, I am assuming you are asking if all the kitchen and great room windows need to wear the identical treatment? I have noticed that windows are exactly the same from kitchen thru great room.
  • User
    10 years ago
    the pattern in your dining room drapery is what makes a difference in the room. there doesn't appear to be much pattern in the living area and none in the kitchen eating area. Be brave!
  • theoffice0
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The horizontal piece represents additional millwork around the windows. I am assuming you were speaking to the area just above the transom windows? There is a bit of a column motif between each of the windows.
  • theoffice0
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    When referring to "matchey," I was questioning the need for curtains, roman shades, etc. to look the same or similar.

Thanks for all of the comments. Much to think about!
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    10 years ago
    Yes, it looked like millwork but I wasn't certain.
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    10 years ago
    In your idea books I noticed your photos and comments regarding plantation shutters with an inside mount below the transom windows. How would you feel about doing that treatment on all stationary windows and leaving the French and single doors bare. I know it's a rather unorthodox treatment but it might read well in both areas. Would love to have a few workrooms weigh in on this IF this is something you would like to pursue. As a side note: Sliding doors are not a problem as projecting hardware can be changed out. French doors opening in however, is a whole other problem.
  • PRO
    Pfaff Color & Design
    10 years ago
    Use something that's multi-functional, moveable and creates a focal point. An antique wooden bench comes to mind. Provides extra seating for entertaining and when not in use, a row of plants in colorful pots