karennana

Dirty old quilts

karennana
10 years ago
I have some quilts made in the '30's to 60's by a great aunt. They were beautifully made, but were used in the "everyone smokes" days and are nicotin-stained. My mom says don't wash them, just "sun them on the clothesline." I don't want to ruin them, but frankly cannot understand why anyone would love to have something musty and dirty. I am very practical: if I can't wash it, I don't want it!
Long drawn out methods involving making a special drying rack outdoors is out, too. Gravel driveway, pine needle yard, too small deck. Should I throw one in the washer, or just take it to the dump?

Comments (105)

• gypsyrose17
    10 years ago
    Oh no....you got me on the energy/green soapbox now too:) You will never recoup the "energy savings" equal to the extra money these new appliances cost...have friends that buy new energy star front loaders every 5 years...I still have my old trusty Maytags, changed a water hose once...by myself!
    karennana thanked gypsyrose17
  • feeny
    10 years ago
    My GE top loader washer and regular dryer are 18 years old and have not needed a single repair.
    karennana thanked feeny
  • Related Discussions

help with bed back

Q

Comments (9)
    Kriti, I don't have any pics to attach but I can give you simple instructions. If your headboard is removable you can skip the step of creating the paper template. 1. Remove the headboard. 2. Lay your fabric flat on a surface large enough to lay your headboard on top (I often need to use the floor). Also, if you can find a flat sheet you like, there's alot of fabric there. probably cheaper. 3. Using a marker, trace the headboard onto the fabric. You will need 2 layers of this fabric, or one for the front, and a plain or contrasting fabric for the back. 4. Cut the fabric with a 1" seam allowance. 5. With right sides together, sew the two pieces of fabric together. Turn slipcover right sides out. 6. Glue padding to the headboard. 7. Pull your slipcover over the headboard and padding. Reattach the headboard to the bed. 8. Done! If you like to change your headboard with the seasons, you can inexpensively create many slipcovers this way. I hope this helps, and I hope it makes sense as I am writing this at 3 o'clock in the morning! Good luck!
    ...See More

Need a new look for windows

Q

Comments (35)
    softyjain, If the windows need to be replaced I recommend looking at fixed steel to maintain the narrow profile of the windows and small window lites. Using fixed instead of operating will be a cost savings if you don't need to open them. Another option for hanging from the ceiling is a decorative light or chandelier. That way you still have light into your ceiling at night. We offer Renaissance solid bronze windows that don't require any finish or finish maintenance. Architects designers love the rose bronze color, which closely matches copper gutters. http://www.houzz.com/projects/152134/Renaissance-Solid-Bronze-Windows---Doors-by-Progressive-Solutions You may also be interested in this ideabook- http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/18543834/thumbs/Bronze--Copper---Steel-Window-Ideas
    ...See More

Bedroom Nightstand

Q

Comments (34)
    If you go with the black bed, get a rustic and in fall colors night stand, that will stand up with the orange. Or that particular bedspread has golds, browns, and other shades... you might even be able to work a fall leaf red (sort of a dark faded red) in there for the night stand and the red into more accent pillows that would take the Halloween away. Stay away from bright limey greens and not picking up more of the orange or black and you could make it work well.
    ...See More

Living room makeover

Q

Comments (50)
    Susan, I find that people often make their coffee tables too low and too small. Measure the height of your sofa cushion and pick a coffee table that is a similar height. Also, in the layout you posted above the room would look better with a larger coffee table. Even as long as your sofa, or close to it. Let me know if you need one custom built, it easier to get the right thing for your room than you may think. Here is my etsy store if you end up needing one custom built. www.etsy.com/shop/MetalTreeFurniture
    ...See More
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    Most fabric is pre washed before quilting so you should be safe washing them ,soak them in cold water and mild detergent first and change the water several times before washing them on a gentle cycle in cold water ,if you toss them in the dryer do so at low heat or if weather permits hand them outdoor to dry.
    karennana thanked Geneviève
  • karennana
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Genevieve, but read I DID IT above. Just above the photos a bit. Explains how I did it and why I did it like I did it.
  • candicorne
    10 years ago
    I have been receiving and buying tattered old "loved" quilts for about 25 years. Love them! DH said he knew I must have 25 quilts... I went and counted...23 yup! X 3! I have washed them all in our top loader on delicate and dried in dryer. Turn out fine.
    karennana thanked candicorne
  • karennana
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ooooohhhh! Sunnie2day! You are so right! Those machines run FOREVER. I can sort wash dry fold hang and put away all my laundry in the time it takes for one load to go through those front loaders. How efficient is THAT! So all of you who take my advice to heart better buy an older style model while you still can get one, or soon enough you won't be able to buy an American made top loading TRULY efficient USA-made washer and dryer in the US either! Fashion-smashion! FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION! Every design student knows that from day one of school! If it looks good but works poorly, fagettaboudit! Go for the function, not the fad.
  • karennana
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Candicorne, glad to hear it! I just did that too! Love my results!
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    The ones my grandmother made are so tattered around the edges that I'm afraid the batting will come out and clog the drains! She made some with feed sack backings and they are falling apart. If I had the patience I'd try to take the top off and salvage it for pillow cases, curtains or something smaller, but that's a lot of stitches to rip out! lol
    karennana thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    Good to hear that you got them cleaned and wonderful to see them ,they are beautiful and those colours are sure spectacular , a lot work and love went into making these , thank you for sharing them with us.
  • PRO
    Balsam Hill
    10 years ago
    Wonderful quilts!
    karennana thanked Balsam Hill
  • karennana
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Decoenthusiaste, if the quilt is truly beyond saving as a quilt, I have seen some beautiful pillow shams or throw pillow covers made from the good parts of a quilt. You don't remove the stitches at all, you just cut out a pillow front, make a zippered or tied back for it, sew it, (use a serger/overedger on the fabric/quilt edges if the quilt isnt too thick, or use stop-fray if it is) use cording if you like, turn it right side out, and you have salvaged a bit of that special quilt. Once you have saved your "strong pieces" of the quilt by making them into pillow covers, you can wash them. (I know that now!)
    Also, place mats and other decorative items can be made from salvaged quilt pieces. Haven't done it, but I have seen some done. One lady made a table topper from the good center of a quilt too frayed on the ends and edges to salvage. It was lovely. That way you still have that bit of grandmas handiwork.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Thanks, karennana! May try that for a winter project, but I don't have a sewing machine. I could get the pieces sorted out though.
    karennana thanked decoenthusiaste
  • User
    10 years ago
    Make a laptop computer case or a guitar case. Glasses case and cellphone case from the scraps. Anything that needs padding .
    karennana thanked User
  • sunnie2day
    10 years ago
    I made a Christmas tree topper (star) and skirt from the better bits of the one and only quilt my new husband had from his gran (made in the early 30s). Typical guy, he'd used it to cover some fishing gear in the loft and it was in terrible shape! After the salvage, the star and tree skirt are lovely - and machine washable:)
    karennana thanked sunnie2day
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    Even if a little bit of a quilt can be saved and reused its still a keepsakes , we just wish that who ever gets them can appreciate the work that it took to make them. This is my latest creation .
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Very pretty Genevieve! You have a huge talent there!
    karennana thanked karemore55
  • unwantedadvice
    10 years ago
    @karennana, I too had a similar situation with old linens from my maternal grandmother. She was French-Canadian born in Saskatchewan. Her items, lovely hand crocheted tablecloth, white napkins with hand embroidered edges and corners, and the cutest baby pillow cases with hand embroidering along the open end. Also some small table cloths with the embroidered detailing.

After my mother passed, I finally decided to try and clean these items and preserve them somehow. Read up on topic on internet and read how to wash with specific cleaners,etc. and in bathtub. Two arthritic thumbs and wringing or even squeezing water out was a no-no for me. I decided same as you, put in washer and hope for the best. Thank goodness everything came out in one piece and I placed them in multiple cotton pillow protectors to hopefully preserve them longer.

One thing I neglected to do was label the items in each bag so when I pass, at least my children will know where they came from, who made them and about what time period. I figure 20s or 30s for vast majority. Then it will be up to them to decide what to do with them. I hope they keep them but again, I will be gone so technically won't care!
    karennana thanked unwantedadvice
  • bungalowmo
    10 years ago
    I'm another old-school gal! I didn't even want a "new" house. Mine is 3 years away from her Century Birthday!

I love old things. They're all made to last...before the "throw away" age we seem to live in now. I have an antique toaster, several old fans that weigh a ton & make you feel like you're in a wind tunnel when ya turn them on!

I have truly come to fully understand the saying "They just don't make em like they used to"! And I couldn't agree more. I love my old stuff!

When I wash delicate things like old linens or tablecloths & such...I have some large bags (like lingerie bags but bigger) that I can fold the linens up & put them in those & let them all soak a while. Wash on delicate (top loader hehe) & spin...then hang dry. Seems to work pretty well

The stove that came with my place in 07 is falling apart so I found a 1947 Nash/Kelvinator that a retired Marine owns. He rewired the entire thing & found another just like it with a bad "shell", so he stripped all the knobs, handles & burners, oven grated & anything salvageable off it. All the spares are in a tub! Getting it for $250 & I'm SO excited!

Here she is! She's 11 years older than me! :0)

The best energy conservation is using what is already here. Tried & true for decades.
    karennana thanked bungalowmo
  • bungalowmo
    10 years ago
    Hey....Hows the new house?? I saw that you were closing over the weekend!! :0)
    karennana thanked bungalowmo
  • karennana
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hey! Went to close, spent the weekend there sleeping on a blowUp mattress. Took a fresh clean quilt too! Grandsons camped out on the floor of the other bedroom. We loved it! Now packing as a full time job, lol. Didn't know I had so much stuff til I started packing it. I think it will be a relief to let most of it GO!
  • karennana
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Bungalowmo, I envy you your new old range/oven! What a charmer! I agree 100 percent, oldies are the goodies! Our lil farmhouse has stainless which I don't like. Sorta looks put of place, ya know?
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    I love that stove and all the stories that I'm reading about quilts and homes . A while back I suggested to quilters to make a fabric bag by using the same fabric used for their quilts to store their quilts in ,if you like this idea you could make one and label it writing on the year and by whom it was made . Thank you very much for the compliment Karemore55 I'm making one for Christmas at the moment I will post a picture of it when done.
  • gypsyrose17
    10 years ago
    This is the perfect time of year for the thread of all these comments.
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    Now this is what I need :) they sure don;t make them like these anymore

• unwantedadvice
    10 years ago
    Foodarama! How cool was that. I wonder how many of those sold?!
  • quiltroom
    10 years ago
    I prefer top loading machine. That said, ended up with a front loader a few years ago. Then we moved - left the machine. Hubby insisted on another front loader - couldn't convince him of top loader - he helps with laundry -- must choose battles (!). If he "goes" before me, I'm getting a top loader. Now, about the Kelvinator stove - wish I had Grandma's - very similar to photo - loved that drop down burner in the back for deep frying and the extra "counter" space next to burners. And the drawers for the pans. Oh, well...
    karennana thanked quiltroom
  • User
    10 years ago
    Have told young people on dilemmas not to buy a front loader because mine so slow but argued back, so I give up.
    karennana thanked User
  • karennana
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Taking a break from, well, packing, refinishing furniture, and washing chickens and a duck! Thought I'd check in here. This is fun to talk about old quilts, old appliances, old houses, and more!
  • karennana
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    OH! Forgot to explain the chickens and duck...I once had a "Country French" kitchen with chicken decor. (Didn't we all, lol?) But I tired of it, and remodeled, changing to black and creamy-white with black and white granite countertops. Now, packing up, I am washing chickens I brought down from the overstuffed attic. I opened one box and there was something furry in there. I yelped "WHAT is THAT!" before I recognized a little feathered duckling I had once put in a basket at Easter time. I don't want to take along
    anything that hasn't been cleaned before packing, so...(You shoulda seen me styling the wet duck, hair dryer and all...)
  • karennana
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Guess what valances are in the ol' 1939 (new to me) farmhouse? Checks with roosters! And I like 'em! So maybe the old chickens will go back in the kitchen, but this time more toward "primitive-farmhouse" than "country-French." It seems so right for a farmhouse! now if I can just be patient those "newish" stainless appliances will die, and I can shop for some oldies but goodies!
  • gypsyrose17
    10 years ago
    I used to have an old Wedgewood gas stove, had a griddle in the middle between the burners and a shelf on top, the broiler was separate to the side of the oven. Loved that old stove.
  • unwantedadvice
    10 years ago
    karennana, I sort of freaked when you said you were cleaning chickens and a duck. I thought they were real ones! And the story of "styling the furry duckling", how funny! It is fun to talk about old quilts and linens and how about that commercial on YouTube? :)
  • karennana
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes the chickens and duck are cleaned and packed, then I find a little rabbit whose paw was chewed by Wally, soo...mended the paw washed the rabbit. I know, time to let stuff go, but...it's just a LITTLE rabbit...
  • karennana
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Gypsyrose, what happened to your old Wedgewood gas stove? Did you move and leave it?
  • karennana
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    OK, so the painters finished the interior, I chose a cream color to lighten up the little rooms. All the same throughout, because the color will go with everything, and because it looks a bit more spacious with continuity. Cozy still, but brighter. Got the scraped hickory hardwoods in the living room to match those already in the adjoining dining room and on into the kitchen. BUT when the flooring guys were gluing down the hickory planks, guess what was there and had been under carpet? Hardwood floors! I can't believe we just installed new hardwood over old! Ah well, it does look good being continuous through those rooms that open one to another...
  • gypsyrose17
    10 years ago
    karennana....yes, we were living in an old 1933 Doelger flat in San Francisco...belonged to the landlord.
  • karennana
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    BUT we checked under the bedroom carpet, and voila! Old hardwood! It's yellowish but in great shape: had the workmen go ahead and rip out that carpet! So we are gonna have those refinished. But we move Friday! So that refinishing will have to be done AFTER we move in. Blah, fumes! Hope we have nice winter weather here in the south else we will live with the "ol' yaller" til spring. LOL
  • karennana
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Gypsy Rose, wonder if its still there and still working? Maybe he'd sell it to you?
  • karennana
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Wait a minute, Unwanted advice, what commercial on you tube?
  • gypsyrose17
    10 years ago
    kerennana....wouldn't fit in my galley kitchen even if he would unfortunately.
  • karennana
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Tonight I washed three turtles, three frogs and a big fat toad. So there! LOL
  • karennana
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    (Have/soon had a big sunroom/playroom and decorated it with the grandsons in mind: Frogs and snails and puppy dog tails, you know?) there was a tree frog on the wall...
  • gypsyrose17
    10 years ago
    karennana you are wonderful...love your visions and vibe.
  • karennana
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We talked about old quilts? Well I just cleaned some old carpets that had been stowed in the attic for seven years... Lovely traditional-style 8x8, one round one square, they just didn't work in this house: BUT They are PERFECT in the little living and dining rooms in the little old farmhouse! I will post (or have DH post) some pics after the move.
  • karennana
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Gypsyrose, what a nice thing to say! Thank you! If you are ever in NC let me know: I will treat you to some hospitality country-style and southern-style too.
  • karennana
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    ok gotta go pack some frogs turtles and toads
  • karennana
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Tomorrow THE BIRDS
  • unwantedadvice
    10 years ago
    karennana, Genevieve posted a YouTube video on Nov. 14. So funny to see those old commercials and this appliance is quite innovative to say the least. Make sure you watch.

Glad the redo is going well and yes, post pics! Love to see them. All of the cutesy animals will be fun for the grand kids. I have two grandsons aged four and nine. Live super close so that is a good thing as Martha Stewart would say. I see she tweeted a pic of some small plate of food and there was lettuce with Thousand Island dressing on it and people freaked out about how it looked. I saw the pic and thought it was fine looking. :))
  • karennana
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sunnie2Day, if you're still reading here, I would love to see your quilt star and tree skirt when you put your tree up...
  • sunnie2day
    10 years ago
    The tree goes up Thanksgiving night and I 'tweak' over the weekend, so I'll post a pic the following Monday:) Thank-you for asking!