shweta10

Living room makeover

Shweta Malhotra
8 years ago
Looking to re do my living room .
Everything will go , only window shades will stay .
I will also change the paint .
Need some advice from houzers for furniture layout .
Please advice .
Thanks

Comments (50)

• havingfun
    8 years ago

color is coming in starting with this year. your items seem to be more neutral in shades for large furniture. do you have the measurements?

• Vicki Denson
    8 years ago

Don't buy that large of a sectional again. You limit your possibilities on arranging a room. I agree with Paige on a sofa an love seat or two small sofas with chairs. I would even move her arrangement further away from the window and try putting two chairs between the window and love seat, or put the love seat on the other side of the sofa and put two chairs close to the window. I like having a comfy chair or chaise close enough to the window where it's easy to relax and watch (depending on where you are) nature or people go by.

If you want a more visual for your room take your sectional apart to pieces that are equal in size to 1 sofa, 1 love seat, 1 chair and use the gray chair and arrange the pieces.

I think the end closest to the one window is your dining area?? Since the fireplace is visible from the living room, put a matching chair or chairs there to tie all spaces together. I like the way it all flows.

• susan2494
    8 years ago

No love seats please. Do 2 chairs instead or another like sofa..

• susan2494
    8 years ago

Duplicate Post

• Shweta Malhotra
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks everyone for the input .
    Definitely like the ideas .
    I am buying new furniture , this sectional is going to basement .
  • Shweta Malhotra
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    It's a duplicate post , I didn't know the first one went through so accidentally posted again
  • decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

3-seat sofa and 2 chairs, rug 2 feet wider than the sofa, coffee table 18" from the sofa and side table between the two chairs.

• Shweta Malhotra
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks for the furniture layout help .
    Next step is choosing the furniture .
    I like contemporary.... I also wanted to do light color but cannot do light fabric because I have two kids
  • susan2494
    8 years ago

I posted this on your other thread. Will do again here.

• Shweta Malhotra
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks Susan ... I liked the layout a lot
  • Shweta Malhotra
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Yay or nay for the black sofa with the yellow accent chair ... Any suggestions
  • susan2494
    8 years ago

Yes, I like that combo. A lot.

• PRO
    C'est Jolie Designs
    8 years ago

If you are willing to invest a bit you can get some very kid-safe fabrics in light colors. Sunbrella now makes beautiful fabrics for home use. They can literally be cleaned with a bleach and water solution if necessary although typically just need a little light spot cleaning. Crypton fabrics are wonderful too. All this to say that if light colors are what you love it really is now possible to pull that off and still live comfortably in your home allowing your kids to sit on the new furniture :).

• havingfun
    8 years ago

i am sorry, crossed posts, want me to ditch the things i put up? and do you want to look for things that go with that pair. they are nice.

• Shweta Malhotra
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    So this what I am going to pic ...
    This black sofa , two black matching chairs and yellow accent chair .
    Any advice ????
    Never thought I am gonna pick black
  • susan2494
    8 years ago

I might do it the other way around. That's an awful lot of black. Why not black sofa, 2 yellow accent chairs and another in Yellow or white or even gray?

• havingfun
    8 years ago

i think we like blk?

• susan2494
    8 years ago

• susan2494
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Here are a couple of options in lighter color. The top one is interesting has quilted back and the bottom 1 is tufted like sofa From Pier 1. Either chair would look great with sofa and 2 wingbacks.

• susan2494
    8 years ago

Or you could do 2 of the same lighter chairs and 1 black and white wingback

• Shweta Malhotra
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Susan I like the first option the grey ones ...
    Now another question , I do have a option of choosing the black sofa in other color if black is too much I can choose gray ... What do you say ???
  • susan2494
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I love the black. Wish I could have it, but have white dog that sheds :>) Go for the black. Add 2 gray chairs and the wingback. or 2 wingbacks, which I like better and a gray side chair.

• Shweta Malhotra
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    How bout these two chairs on window side with the black sofa ...
  • Shweta Malhotra
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    @groveraxle need your photo shop skills here
  • Shweta Malhotra
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Need advice on what kind of Rug and wall decor above sofa to choose with this sofa .
    Sofa will be coming end of May .
  • susan2494
    7 years ago

What chairs did you get?

• Shweta Malhotra
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    @ Susan I didn't order chairs yet but going back to store tommorow... Most likely same black chairs or love seat .
  • susan2494
    7 years ago

Please do not get loveseat. Do the 2 chairs, You are not getting them in black right? Getting gray or the black & white & yellow?

• Shweta Malhotra
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    So my question is will the gray go with the white and yellow accent chair I chose ???
    Can't picture it all together .
  • susan2494
    7 years ago

• susan2494
    7 years ago

This is the best I can do, Unless you give me the name of furniture store and I can do individual chair and sofa?

• Shweta Malhotra
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    It's from thomasville
  • anthip
    7 years ago

We have a black sofa and I love it. We bought it through lack of choice of anything else but it works so well with so many different looks. Yellow, grey and black is a classic combo.

• susan2494
    7 years ago

You could do a big mirror like one of these or art. I would worry about what to put over sofa after it is in the room, you have the chairs and rug. Wall art needs to have everything in place before hanging.

• Shweta Malhotra
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    True ... I def like the idea .
    Any other color for the chairs ???
    I feel this is not going with accent chairs
  • susan2494
    7 years ago

Is the store called Thomasville Furniture? Or I have to have specific name of piece?

• Shweta Malhotra
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Yes its thomasville furniture
  • susan2494
    7 years ago

OK, You are getting the black sofa. And 2 of the black and white? and looking to get one more. Are you saying you do not like the gray chair with the black and white?

Are You not getting the black and white? Or maybe 1 and then 2 more in a solid.

• Shweta Malhotra
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    So I ordered black sofa and 1 black white and yellow accent chair .i need something for the window side .thinking of doing two solid chairs but what color ???
  • susan2494
    7 years ago

You could do 2 chairs in solid black (I think that is too much black) gray would look nice or white. What do they have in the store that you like? Or have you seen something somewhere else?

• susan2494
    7 years ago

• susan2494
    7 years ago

• Shweta Malhotra
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Now I see what u mean ... Not to do black .
    So will def check in the store what other fabric options they have .thanks a lot .
  • susan2494
    7 years ago

This might look cool with the black/white/yellow chair

• PRO
    Metal Tree
    7 years ago

Susan,

I find that people often make their coffee tables too low and too small. Measure the height of your sofa cushion and pick a coffee table that is a similar height. Also, in the layout you posted above the room would look better with a larger coffee table. Even as long as your sofa, or close to it. Let me know if you need one custom built, it easier to get the right thing for your room than you may think. Here is my etsy store if you end up needing one custom built.

www.etsy.com/shop/MetalTreeFurniture

• PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    7 years ago

I like the black and white scheme but remember that both black and white are difficult colors to maintain for furniture and rugs (especially white rugs). Also that's a difficult color combination to work with - it's super modern and may not sustain the test of time. I suggest you go a little milder with your furniture colors, which you'll presumably keep for many years, and go bolder with your accessories, pillows, curtains, artwork, etc.

Instead of black, I'd start with charcoal and start matching to that.

• Shweta Malhotra
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Need help from houzers ....Receiving my furniture soon ... Need help with paint color . Please advice .
    Sofa is black and the chair is black white and yellow .
  • Radhika Vijayakumar
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I love your living room colours. I would suggest one wall in a warm grey. I also love that you have brass metal items in the picture. I too am looking for brass coloured accessories (lamps, curtain rods, coffee table). This is one of my inspiration pictures.

Another of my inspiration pictures. I would pick a wall colour from this picture. I am making a pieced cover for my new sofa because I have a beloved dog who makes it dirty.

• PRO
    WDF space design, Interior Design Business
    7 years ago

Make a list of your requirement for better makeover of living room