furniturebuyer

Bedroom Nightstand

10 years ago
I am just starting out with my guest bedrooom furniture. I will be buying the black panel bed, the quilt will the orange or blue or pink......Need help on deciding what type of nighstand to buy....should I go with black or something different.

Comments (34)

• PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Love the bedding! My favourite is the orange one but then I thought it might look too Halloween with the black bed. I suggest not going with a black night stand. For the blue or purple bedding, you could choose this type of painted night stand (green) or for any of those beddings a rustic wood side table would also work. Both from Pottery Barn.
  • 10 years ago
    Thanks for the reply. I relly like the rustic table idea as well. But I'm wondering if it would go with the black bed? Its a cottage style bed.

Thanks for pointing out the halloween look with the orange bedding. I didnt think about that. I was leaning toward the orange.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    You're welcome! It would definitely go with the style of the bed. The weathered wood top is reminiscent of cottage style.
    Krithika Kannan thanked Lydia (Kazza Design)
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Well, the black and blue look like a bruise. The black and orange look like halloween. That leaves purple. Before selecting a nightstand, I would first want to know what else is going in the room.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I think if you love the orange, you should go for it! It does have the potential to go Halloween, but you just have to be conscious to work against that. The orange bedding has a cozy quality and a bunch of accent colors to work with - a great start!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    A mirrored nightstand
  • 10 years ago
    Karen Paul interiors, Nothing much is in the room right now...We have an old bed, that we are going to switch....We are starting from the bed.
  • 10 years ago
    I don't like matching furn. So mix it up in a guest room. The ones posted above are nice. Or go a reclaimed wood. Which would work with the comforter you choose. Keep a cottage look going.
  • 10 years ago
    The blue quilt is the easiest to work with.
  • 10 years ago
    Mix it up - no matchy-matchy!
  • 10 years ago
    I agree the blue has the most neutral palette to work with...easiest to coordinate.
  • 10 years ago
    I like the purple with the green nightstand. I like the painted nightstands as they
    provide some storage for your guests.
  • 10 years ago
    I agree the blue is the easiest to work with. I think a reclaimed or weather wood look headboard would look great with any of these spreads. Black sends off a more formal vibe then the bedding for me.
  • 10 years ago
    I think either a mirrored or glass/Lucite stand to break up the "heaviness" of the rest of the furniture.
  • 10 years ago
    I think the Pottery Barn rustic wood side tables would be perfect with that headboard. For the bedding, the blue is my first choice, purple second, orange last.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I like the matching black nightstand, and I think the blue quilt looks nice against the black wood.
  • 10 years ago
    Blue quilt.
    Purple is too teenage girl. Orange would call for a brown headboard.

No matchy-matchy black nighstand please!

One inexpensive option - a draped round table (you can get the forms at many fabric stores, be sure to get the bottom that links like an X, versus the screw on legs that are like sticks), get a coordinating solid tablecloth & a glass topper. This would would very well with the cottagey vibe.

Even if you go wood, consider a glass topper or at the very least leave a tray on top of the table for the glass of water guests carry to bed!

Consider strongly height of table & lamp. They need to be tall enough for reading & for easily accessing items on them.
  • 10 years ago
    I agree about the orange not working with the black bed. Love the blue. I was going to suggest a mirrored nightstand as well. Love to mix it up!
  • 10 years ago
    How about these?
  • 10 years ago
    or this?
  • 10 years ago
    I'm no expert, but I like the blue quilt
  • 10 years ago
    I like the first and the last of lydia's combos (nightstand/bedspread) best.

Have you already bought the bed? Could you go wood or "faded wood" like in the pictures of the comforter in the same style as the black one?

Love bedspreads (all colours).
  • 10 years ago
    Still like the purple and green
  • 10 years ago
    Very cool Lydia, that should really help furniture buyer.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Judging by your choices it seems that the guest room will have a cottage-like feel. If so, I think an industrial type stool as mentioned above would work fine, but since the headboard is clean sleek black, I would go with a white nightstand to create a nice contrast and mix-match look without looking scattered. Good luck!
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    If you go with the black bed, get a rustic and in fall colors night stand, that will stand up with the orange. Or that particular bedspread has golds, browns, and other shades... you might even be able to work a fall leaf red (sort of a dark faded red) in there for the night stand and the red into more accent pillows that would take the Halloween away. Stay away from bright limey greens and not picking up more of the orange or black and you could make it work well.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    On second thought......although I like the white night stand I think it will be too much of a contrast with the black bed.
  • 10 years ago
    Lydia, Thanks so much for the photo collage...I think I'm going to go with the rustic side table and blue quilt or the green table and the purple quilt. I like those combos. From online reviews of the white nightstand, i figured that its more of a pale green than white. which is why I thought it might work, but I cant rely on that.
  • 10 years ago
    Sounds great - please post pictures when you're done!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Glad I could help! :)
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Personally, I like the green nightstand best of all. Great color, shape and the right ambiance. Most certainly does not look like a "set" with the black headboard.
  • 10 years ago
    Search Craigslist. I posted that I wanted a wood night stand for $20 and was emailed various stands. I ended up getting the perfect one. It didn't have a knob but that was less than $2 at a hardware store.
  • 10 years ago
    I like things that match. You can always change the bedding once you've established your foundation. I also like the blue. It looks soothing in a bedroom. The other colors are pretty but are too bright. Bottom line though it's your home and you have to feel good in it. I've just redone a guest room after much back and forth. I ended up with what I wanted in the first place. Go with what you really love. It's going to look great whatever you choose!