edubya

Have you hired a pro after they gave you a "free consultation?"

Emily H
6 years ago

When you are looking at doing home renovation projects, do you ever take pros up on their offers of a "free consultation?" If so, have you gone on to hire that same pro?

Share your experience! (photos encouraged)

Comments (238)

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Do not "help them" - this includes cleaning up or moving anything (w/o very explicit directions and followed exactly). Have a place to go to the bathroom and cold water to drink. Have an open invitation to ask you for anything they might need that you can do/provide or if there is anything you are doing unknowingly that is impeding their progress in any way. Have a board to write notes on for communication or reminders. Make sure there is plenty of power available and that they know where the breakers are. Keep your vehicles out of the way. Have a "hotpot"/thermos of coffee available and a surprise on Friday afternoons - maybe even a beer after you know them. Make sure they can get a hold of you. Try not to bother them Monday mornings or Friday afternoons in particular - ask them when the best time(s) is/are. Try to have a (short) meeting with them once a week to coordinate/exchange information/concerns.

That's a good start. Best wishes - that you would ask this question/make this request is a very good sign.

• thatsmuchbetter
    6 years ago

FTR i do not condone drinking and hoozing even tho Chuck may do it, he is a stuntman

• Related Discussions

Need a new look for windows

Q

Comments (35)
    softyjain, If the windows need to be replaced I recommend looking at fixed steel to maintain the narrow profile of the windows and small window lites. Using fixed instead of operating will be a cost savings if you don't need to open them. Another option for hanging from the ceiling is a decorative light or chandelier. That way you still have light into your ceiling at night. We offer Renaissance solid bronze windows that don't require any finish or finish maintenance. Architects designers love the rose bronze color, which closely matches copper gutters. http://www.houzz.com/projects/152134/Renaissance-Solid-Bronze-Windows---Doors-by-Progressive-Solutions You may also be interested in this ideabook- http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/18543834/thumbs/Bronze--Copper---Steel-Window-Ideas
    ...See More

i need help for my formal living and unformal living and dinning

Q

Comments (300)
    I think a comfortable distance between the island and the counter is around 42". It seems that you have only 30" between your cook top and the counter. I might be a little too tight. The wall between the entrance and the kitchen could be 4' long instead of 6', you would then be able to move the island a foot which would give you more room between the cook top and the island. Could you switch the location of the toilet and vanity in your dad's bathroom so your enter facing a vanity instead of a toilet which is a lot nicer.
    ...See More

Help for my small dream home .

Q

Comments (32)
    Thank you nagadeepti, but there is an issue, my father has already finished with the basic foundation,sump, and pillars when I tried to tell him about the option he said that its not possible to change the plan , Please let me know if there are any other option , i have included the ground floor plan as well ,I thought of swapping the bedroom to kitchen in first floor , let me know if its possible according to vastu since its north facing site with roads on both north and south . we have made slight changes instead of full utility in ground floor its only till kitchen , bedroom is extended to make 9*10, and kink for fridge is removed . balcony in second floor is removed . Kindly help if there are any other suggetion to make look house spacious. stairs to the terrace from outside has to be there. I know iam asking for more in a small space.but please help. finally this is the elavation we have decided on with a little bit of modification like extended balconies. Thank you all but my effort is just to make everything good for a little house for my 1.3 yr old daughter. Anam
    ...See More

Best Place for Puja Mandir in a 3BHK

Q

Comments (40)
    Hi, I am not a professional but a enthusiast. I have 2 opinions for you. 1. Small Puja Mandir in place of Fridge and move the fridge near the Sink opposite to Dining. This will be probably very Small. But during Pooja, there will be good space. 2. The second opinion is based on questioning the need of 3 bathrooms. You can remove one attached bathroom and make it a big Pooja Room. Further, you can also play with the size of Bathroom and make it extremely small and accommodate both Pooja from outside and a small bathroom or powder behind it * Chosen practicality over Vaastu.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

Suzanne Devane:

Your post is the logical fallacy of relevance, ad hominem circumstantial. You are addressing my circumstances (my being a small project contractor), not my argument that sophisticated remodeling project proposals require too much work to propose for free. The work I do has no relevance to my argument. You may as well have said, "But Joe, you wear brown work boots. How can you have an accurate opinion?"

• F L
    6 years ago
    dreamdoctor great tips, thanks, will do. but what about on the initial bid, before we sign, that he should realize I'll be pleasant to work with so he should want the job in the first place?
  • Suzanne Devane
    6 years ago
    joseph -- me thinks thou doth protest too much. be a nice guy and you may get something beyond tiny jobs. just try it for a change of pace just to make your wife happy. pax vobiscum.
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

Suanne Devane:

I'll consider your non-answer as concession.

• PRO
    Ryan Olivieri, Inc.
    6 years ago

In art school we used to say, if you're going to say something mean, we all want to hear it.

• cookic
    6 years ago

Ryan...love it!

• User
    6 years ago

FL, first of all, have a realistic budget or you are wasting everyone’s time. Several contractors have already told you that your budget is not realistic for your scope. That’s a Giant red flag to any new contractor. Architects are rarely good judges of construction costs. Remodeling costs are more than double new construction. Hurricanes have increased costs almost 40% in some areas like OSB and plywood. . Add that on top of an architect’s out of touch guesstimate and you've got people running in droves.

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    6 years ago

Sophie - this architect builds as well - pretty much constantly and I have a very good feel for cost (unfortunately I agree - that is the exception and I'll add designers of most stripes to that as well) - in this area - other places are much harder - one of my philosophies is to make a good cake (healthy even) - a little frosting to compliment it - the cost will be low as possible to start with - you can always add frosting later if by some strange happening there is extra money - my/our designs do not need frosting for the most part. I recommend a split bid - shell/rough-in and finish/fixtures - helps keep everything organized, separated and much more transparent.

FL. - Oh, starting - thought you meant starting to build. I wrote it earlier. Don't focus on pleasant - keep it professional and business like but not antagonistic - that is predictable - pleasant is part of first dating and that can change with circumstances - professional and reasonable do not. Write out a list of questions including what I mentioned above and ask if there is anything else that has historically been an issue. If you are as concerned about their comfort/efficiency as you are with your satisfaction that will send a positive message. My email footer says, "Architecture is about people first. The project s the manifestation of the relationship of all the people involved." Keep this in mind - do not go in negative directions and do not have negative people involved in the project. There is no need to argue in business - there are negotiations and a canceled project. This is a business agreement - they are not your friends (yet - maybe never). I do not have to be friends with people to assist them in their project - I am naturally friendly because that is what architecture is about - if I didn't like people I would go into a non-people oriented business - which are few and far between.

Practice the golden rule and don't be shy about expecting this from them while realizing you are doing one project they are probably in the middle of many - that is the price of using good people that are in demand. This is a tight rope situation - balance is crucial, but the project vibe should still be calm and not full of anxiety.

Be calm and reasonable but know where your line is that will not be crossed. If there is a fire use water not gasoline to try to out it out. Build the bridge - remember it is very hard to rebuild them and you never know when you will need it or who is watching. If it is absolutely necessary burn the bridge (last resort), do it decisively and don't look back - you don't know what you have until it is gone.

You play a major role in this reality, make sure it is the one you want. Design your builder relationship in the same manner your project is designed - so that it meets your needs. I wish you well.

I'll add - communication is crucial - remember they have not been chewing on what you have been for days - they are coming in cold - explain as you would to someone unfamiliar with the project most every time - it will ensure the communication is complete and relays the message intended and it saves time in the long run as well as having a paper trail (I highly recommend communicating via email).

• F L
    6 years ago
    dreamdoctor thank you, you are very thought out and well spoken. sage advice. one thing though, I'm not sure what list of questions you are referring to. what should I ask the contractor?
    Thank you!!

sophie-i have a reasonable budget. I was told it's reasonable. I even just got a quote nicely within budget, but it took weeks of correspondence, repeating myself, and chasing the guy down before he sent a bid, dated 3 weeks earlier. I am too nervous to go into business like this. it's not my budget that is the issue, I'll pay for whatever I can afford. it's that no one seems to be in a rush to take on a job. I'm trying to get to the root of the issue so I can fix it. and dreamdoctor had some good pointers as did another pro that commented on not saying I have other bids etc.

Is it recommended to state the budget or does that guarantee the bid will be above the number I quote? I like transparency but I can see why in this case it may not be advisable. what do you guys think?
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

"Is it recommended to state the budget or does that guarantee the bid will be above the number I quote? I like transparency but I can see why in this case it may not be advisable. what do you guys think?"

I would never quote a job for potential client that wouldn't share their budget. There are no free estimates, there is only a fair exchange of information. You show me you've got the ability, willingness, and a realistic budget, and I'll trade that for some initial technical and pricing expertise.

• User
    6 years ago

FL: You can have a 100 sq foot kitchen cost anywhere from $100 to $1,000,000. When I meet with a contractor, I have a list of what needs to be done (except unforeseen problems), types of materials such as stone, mahogany, hardwood, etc., and a range for the budget such as $1000-$3000. A quote or estimate from the contractor should include labor, materials, etc., but not unforeseen problems.

If you aren't comfortable giving a budget range, then give a detailed list of what needs to be done, materials chosen, etc. Then the contractor can base that off your project list.

When I meet with a contractor, I have a prepared project list that I give. Then the give and take begins depending on materials and amount of labor necessary. You should always have a built in figure for the "oops" factor - something that goes wrong or and open wall finds a problems that needs correcting first, ,etc. Those items are not in the bid, so prepare just in case.

If your project list doesn't have materials chosen and you are leaving it up to the contractor, then yes, you'll need to give him a budget range so he can use materials that fit your budget. Point for discussion - choice of materials before selected is a good idea. You may want marble floors, but they won't fit your budget, so the contractor may suggest one or two other materials for you to decide.

• User
    6 years ago

Who even gets labor quotes for a project that hasn’t been designed and specified first? If you don’t have the ability to draw out the layout, create elevations and section details, have a workable electrical plan, specify all of the products being used, then you have no business talking to contractors. You need to be talking to a designer or architect. And they do not work for free either.

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    6 years ago

FL - the budget is the most valuable design tool there is for me. It tells me a lot about what we are doing. I know to do the leanest/cleanest design possible - it avoid future problems or lessens them. I recommend add/alts too - you find out where the costs are and what they want to do and what they don't want to do. Not only do designers/architects kneed to know what materials cost s but what different types of designs are expensive. I had a client direct me recently to replace a "simple curved stair" with a suspended stair - I said I did not think that was in their budget even though I had not done one before (it was outside the scope of minor plan mods from a set of my purchased plans - and made for an uncomfortable invoice situation). I kept relating to them it was taking a lot of effort to figure out and draft up - and that to me that was an indication of how hard and expensive it would be to build - it will not be in the project - the original stair will be. I detailed it so it would be architecturally interesting but relatively easy to build - I explain it to the builder and they "get it".

Not meaning to get political here but the president wants to stimulate the economy and it is already chugging along and he is kicking out the very workers that are needed to do the work. Everyone is busy and has been where I live - may as well pick the low hanging fruit and hesitate on commitment.

The "questions" were under/with the "do not help them" comment - it, in an over view way, says - communicate - ask them how to aide them in the project and avoid mistakes they have seen in the past. That you want things to run smoothly and would like the benefit of their experience to "ensure" this. There are no guarantees though. Once again - I do 99.5% of my communication via email. Something about things being written down makes a big difference and the thoughts are better thought out than phone calls, texts and in meetings (I rarely meet my clients in person and transpose them to an email if we do for concurrence).

If you'd like, send me an email - I will send you my project programming guide (PPG) - no cost or obligation. I'm headed out of town this afternoon. mc@architecturebysynthesis.com

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

"...and he is kicking out the very workers that are needed to do the work...."

Yeah, come and talk to me when illegal aliens start doing architecture, please.

Think that's far-fetched? The lawyers aren't safe from the invaders; the archys could be next.

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    6 years ago

We are at 1.5% unemployment where I live - I can't even get legal Mexicans to do work - they are way too busy (and very good at what they do). I have competition from overseas - well, I would if anyone did what I do - I am bombarded by offers in my email everyday for drafting, rendering and design services and my business keeps growing. I'm more worried about AI than illegals.

Everything is corrupted currently - we need a real capitalistic society rather than a hybrid economy. I would like to a take a big step forward in the opposite direction we are headed - I have a very good idea how this scenario ends; an environmental "market correction" where the destructive virus is largely knocked out of the picture. We are headed towards a brick wall and the idea is we need to pick up speed?

What is the purpose of this economic growth? Happiness and health? It's not working - let's try something else.

• klasd1959
    6 years ago
    After reading these comments, I have to admit the entertainment was better than anything I've paid for, lately. And wow, am I ever glad that I'm not planning any work on my house. That being said, lots of good advise.
  • wrdupre
    6 years ago

We had a company recommended by Home Advisors that came out to give us a 'free' estimate for a kitchen redo. It was very friendly and useful until the end, when the hard sell came. After bashing every other contractor and glorifying his own company, he gave us a $40,000 bid. But wait, there's more. We were then told if we signed a contract on the spot we would get a 10% discount, as it would save them an extra trip out. ($4000/visit?). When we declined, saying the bid came in higher than we had budgeted for, he then offered a senior "discount" (another 5%), plus another discount if they could put a sign out and use our house to help recruit neighbors. The result, a $40,000 bid down to $29,000, but only if we signed on the spot. We declined, and when he left, we felt we had to open the windows to clean out the air!

• User
    6 years ago

Home Advisor aka Service Magic is a hit or miss company. The contractors recommended are those who sign up for recommendation to homeowners. Hefty fees are charged according to percentage of the projects. HA gets leads from other pros whether good or bad. Their referrals are basically like pulling a name out of the phone book. Ratings range from poor to excellent - so there is a strong possibility of "padded" reviews.

Whenever one uses internet referrals - treat them with a grain a salt - a big grain and do research on the company that was referred to you. Do not rely on so called "reviews" unless you know they are all vetted honestly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPeh42cfqcc

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

wrdupre:

That guy paid about $75.00 to speak to you. Thought you may like to know.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

"Hefty fees are charged according to percentage of the projects."

In over a decade, I've never had a homeadvisor fee based on a percentage of my projects.

"HA gets leads from other pros whether good or bad."

What does that mean, please?

"Their referrals are basically like pulling a name out of the phone book. Ratings range from poor to excellent - so there is a strong possibility of "padded" reviews."

I have over 300 homeadvisor reviews. I can assure you none are "padded" although a few are hilarious. You must be a customer of a homeadvisor contractor to review a homeadvisor contractor. Homeadvisor has broken their own rules and allowed non-customers to review me. They have broken their own rules and allowed a negative review of me when a customer signed in writing that he was completely satisfied.

celestina89, I suggest you do a bit more homework before commenting on subjects you obviously know little about.

• User
    6 years ago

Thank you Joe - I have done my homework. HA is a revamp of SM - but then you know all about that and why it was revamped. Most of HA's policies are the same as when it was SM. It's s real hit or miss.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

celestina89:

Please cite a single instance of someone paying HA or SM with a percentage of the job as you have alleged. And please answer my previous question.

• User
    6 years ago

@Joe Try re-reading my posts and this time, don't read anything more into it than what is there. I can cite more than a single instance but I wouldn't without the permissions of the professionals involved and frankly I wouldn't even ask considering this discussion. I will say, the professionals included 1 electrician, 2 plumbers and 1 HVAC. I'll repeat for you so you can understand. From my former post: "The contractors recommended are those who sign up for recommendation to homeowners. Hefty fees are charged according to percentage of the
    projects
    (that means # not $). HA gets leads from other pros whether good or bad."

I'm fine if you received over 300 HA reviews from your customers. I don't know how long you have been in business as a small contractor, but considering on the average although 88% of "shoppers" check reviews whether online, in print or in person (friend or famlly). Then 95% of consumers suspect fake or censored (edited) reviews when no negatives appear. 100% of customers earning more than $150K claim to give a review only when there is poor experience or bad customer service. Now, for the fun part - approximately 2-5% of consumers who purchased a product or service actually leave any type of review. Approx. 15% of consumers who purchased from an online seller will leave a review about the seller. Overall for any review - print, online, phone, in person, approximately 3-10% of total customers will give a review. That said, some businesses receive more online reviews that others. Examples are major hotels 28-34% during holidays only; 5-8% non-holiday major hotel reviews. Standard customer surveys have a 5-15% return and depends on the strength of the brand. And yes, there are people who are paid to send in reviews. And yes, there are people who get sued if they leave a false or negative review.

And yes, you can verify each and every statistic I reiterated online if you care to do your own research from marketing studies and resources conducted over the years. Yes, there are boni fide consultants and marketing specialists in various areas concerning surveys. When I finished researching out the issue, I discovered an interesting repeated paradigm: "One percenters control online reviews" Nautilus. Here's another fun one: "All of which comes from the 5% to 10% of customers who actually write reviews." Convince & Convert, a digital marketing strategy firm. Amazon is even more interesting with 4.2 - 4.8% return.

So by numbers your 300 reviews were generated from 3000 customers (giving you the benefit of the high of 10% return) over the selected period of time. Considering you are licensed in two states (FL & MI) and married, and 3 Houzz reviews of which only one has any ideabook or activity - you, Sir are one of the cream of the crop. Pat yourself on the back.

BTW, your great increase came when Home Advisor formerly Service Magic merged with Angie's List company. Angie's List is the world's largest digital marketplace for home services using 10 brands in 8 countries. Check wikia for business info on both HA & SM including use of HA by criminals. Not saying you are a criminal, but the service HA has been used by criminals.

• placid1968
    6 years ago

No - did not hire the so called "pro". We had a well known and highly advertised company come to give us an estimate on new vinyl railings on our 15 year old deck. We have a beautifully maintained home and take a great deal of pride in it. This guy was rude, insulting, and didn't bother even looking or measuring anything and he just yelled out the price - something like $5,500. Then he said well, what did you expect - about $1,000? After he left, we went to local source that sells only siding, roofing materials, vinyl. We asked if they could give us a name of someone local. We contacted this gentlemen - he did the work and used the good quality railings. He took his time - 2-1/2 days - and the price was half the "pro". Plus this man was a gentleman, friendly, and courteous. We paid him nothing until the job was completed. Now - that's a real "pro".

• cookic
    6 years ago

Some of these companies are good at big advertisements and that's about all. My mom got stuck with bad window shutters by the same type of outfit. Buyer beware!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

I'm closing 55% of the calls I'm getting on my ads. I think that's too high. My rates should be higher and my closing ratio about 25%.

• User
    6 years ago

@Joe Happy Happy

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    6 years ago

Not a fan of HA (or any of the others) - I signed up when I was but a young lad and the economy was slow. They put me down as a contractor when I was a design and design/build firm - all their leads did was waste my time and money - they still call me years later. I said, "If you believe in your service give me five leads and no yearly fee until I have followed them up and seen them to their logical conclusion - if they are worth the time and money wouldn't I gladly pay the per lead and yearly fee? If I make the money back I lost from the first experiences I would do that." Their response was similar to the sound of crickets. They seemed less concerned about a good match than getting the referral fees. In other words they are more interested in profit than quality or ethics in business. No thanks. When you do a search for just about anything related to building, including design, they and the other similar companies pop up first - if someone can't do their own research to find someone to do provide a service locally I don't see how they would be a good client - it is pretty basic stuff. I need people that can think to work with.

• User
    6 years ago

Service Magic (now known as Home Advisor) started in 1998, Very few digital marketplaces in the 90s, however, my research does take me back to the 1980s when IAC (InterActive Corp) was born in 1986 as Silver King Broadcasting Company. It was a plan to increase viewerships of Home Shopping Network by purchasing local TV stations. The first digital marketplaces bought and sold companies and changed names like you change underwear. IAC owns the brand Angies List, ASK and Angi Home Services, my builder, vimeo amoung others.

ServiceMagic had bad reputation from the time they launched in 1998 by a mgt team of Einstein Bros Bagels. IAC purchased Service Magic in 2008 appointed the CEO of Service Magic and the founding mgt team contined as part of the company when IAC split. Service Magic expanded but were going downhill. IAC hired another CEO and the following year in 2012 rebranded. This is typical strategy for companies who buy and sell and trade up the ladder. After expansions and increasing income from the pros, in 2017 they merged with Angi Home Services.

It's all about scale so their attraction and business is to sign up the pros - the more pros they have the more biz they get. They pros foot the bill by the company now HA with AngiHomeservices, Inc, part of IAC parent company. THe idea is the more pros they can advertise the more likely a homeowner will use their service whether they hear about the pro locally or through the internet. In either case, HA gets paid. They even have instant booking started 2 years ago in 2015 - so homeowners can instantly schedule appointments to "eliminate phone tag". They use a service called Instant Connect paid by the pro since the pro signs up for it. All these fees are then billed by the pro to the consumer as part of the project. The more projects that get listed under a pros name, the more money the company gets.

There have been quite a few articles ( you can google them if you wish) about these so-called recommendations by HA and that these so called pros weren't even licensed. Their vetting process isn't always what homeowners think it is. Of course, it hurts the honest pro who signs up for referrals and benefits the crooks and also hurts the homeowner. There are areas where HA is active and there are few problems. Other areas have a total different story and have even won awards what ever that means. So hit or miss.

Houzz basically works same way - it's advertising. They sell products on a markup to the reader. HA sells pros on a markup to the homeowner. Pros in both cases pay for each lead or listing or advertising or sale/project.

There is nothing wrong with the system. Some companies are honest about their services offered to the homeowner. Others are hit or miss and still others are totally dishonest. It pays to thoroughly check any internet company out - even more so if there is no street front company to visit. From personal experience, I can say that every contractor I ever hired - I have been to their office more than once.

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    6 years ago

Vetting? - if they have a pulse and make HA money they are qualified is my guess. They have worked the same as contractors that go bankrupt from doing bad business - change the name and start doing the same thing with a little more savvy as how to not get stuck holding the bag (of poo). The more professionals (a word they paint with a big brush) they "match" the more they make so little incentive to be picky or accurate. Their service has a built in conflict of interest - do the research yourself - celestina already knows this of course.

• User
    6 years ago

@Dreamdoc - you'll love this; however me thinks Joe won't. :) Happy Happy!

Lawsuit against HA - just one of several....

If I was a pro or homeowner - I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. Now, Houzz is a different story. I think they are working to up the level for the pros, even the beginner pros. And they don't push the pros on homeowners. Houzz gives a platform that attracts homeowners to the pros. Then it's up to the pros to sell themselves through Houzz. I didn't find my land architect through Houzz, though I did search and came up with a few names, but they didn't feel right for my project. Currently, I've found several architects through Houzz, but my builder & I are just starting to put a list together. I'll do the same for the Interior Designer. I'm really hoping that I find a good pro through Houzz, but it's tough since my projects are totally out of the box and require knowledge and experience that many do not have. It does demand quite a big amount of creativity.

Happy Happy 2018 to everyone at Houzz.

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    6 years ago

There is a box? I don't take archipornoghy mags as I call them - I don't care what everyone else is doing - I do take trade mags though such as The Construction Specifier. When I went to college I went to learn how to think not get a vocation. My design does not stop at the front door - integrated design of community, site, structure and interior and how it relates to the state of the entire planet with a strong foundation of principled philosophy. I took landscape history, theory, programming and independent study classes for my electives not underwater basket weaving.

Something I dislike about online reviews is that I have not seen the opportunity to give a zero - that means the results are skewed by 20 % unless all reviews are 5s. It is like getting 20% right on a test just for getting your name on it.

It looks different becasue it is different - "only the lead dog gets a change of scenery".

• User
    6 years ago

Houses from grain bins are nothing new. I've seen them in europe, SA as well as some parts of the US. They are around but not real popular. As to different, anything can be different from a box. As for reviews, I take them with a huge grain of salt for various reasons.

Did you do the architectural work on the house with silos in your post? If so, nice job. I presume from your writing, you also designed it to be self-sufficient and off the grid for electric, water, heat, air, etc. Not everyone can do that. - so where's your landscaping work on that house?

This one is from Oregon....

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    6 years ago

All the ones I have seen are framed - what a nightmare - one of my clients did that too against my advice - took a long time to build and they wouldn't tell me the cost. I design and build; we put up the bins for that as it was a horrible time of year to find anyone to do anything - late fall in Iowa. I provide the services requested - that project is surrounded by prairie - part of a preserve. I master planned it though for a phased in build over many years.

Hopefully I will build this for my next home soon, no one else is stepping up to be the first but I sure get a lot of inquiries about it.

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    6 years ago

Forgot to mention in my earlier post regarding Home Advisor, when I asked if they believed in their own service, after I had stopped believing in it in any capacity. They contacted me after I told them to completely delete my name from their system several times - I'm still listed by them if you search for architects in my area. They said they had leads in my area but no one to fill them. So, either it was more important for them to not "give anything away" (which MIGHT begin to compensate me for the time they wasted in the past) or they were in marketing mode again and had others but told me they didn't to suck me back in - that would be my guess. Deceptive practices would be a mild description of their business model I think; I would put as much faith in what they say as far as I could throw them - not the kind of people I would partner with in my business - the kind you have to keep one eye on all the time to figure out what they are really up to. They would tell you anything they have to to get your money is my perception. Now they are like dog poo - can't get them off my shoe after I stepped in them.

• Charles Erb
    6 years ago

We got a guy to remodel our bathroom He stalled us into not getting it done before Thanksgiving then stalled us after thanksgiving then wanted to do it 3 weeks before Christmas. We told him we wanted the money we gave him to buy bathroom products (which we had all picked out on our own)Back. We have not heard from him even though he said he would send us a check in the new year after the 1st. We have not gotten satisfaction in any way and I doubt that we will have anything to do with Houzz again in any way.

• skyeryder
    6 years ago

Charles, Please let us know who this guy was...

• Charles Erb
    6 years ago

Clarks Home Services in Coopersburg PA.

• skyeryder
    6 years ago

Thanks.

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    6 years ago

If you can, write a Yelp review (and anywhere else you can) - it gets their attention if they are legit at some level and warns people if they are not.

• User
    6 years ago

@Charles Erb: I don't know if that is how contractors do biz in the North, but here in the South, I have never ever paid a contractor up front to buy products, etc. for the job. On a large job such as building a house, payments are made to the builder who pays the subs. These payments are generally so much every so many weeks and not until that particular phase is completed. The biggest scam is to ask money up front because the contractor ain't a "bank" and doesn't have the funds to advance. The story is they tell a tale how they get ripped off and not paid by the homeowner. Well, go file a lien against the house and a lawsuit. That's what liens are all about and when you signed the contract is so states and lien can be placed against the house or wages garnished, etc. in order for the contractor be paid.

I'm sorry you got a bad one, but they aren't all that way. I hope Houzz helps you out in solving the problem. Even so, at least you learned a big lesson as tough as it may be.

• PRO
    Bogman Design/Build AKA GreenBuiltCottages
    6 years ago

For me, it depends.

During my phone conversation with the clients, did they act as if they only wanted to get me to visit them, to pull information and ideas out of me? If so, I tell them I charge $250 for the visit, and my design hourly for designing/planning/etc. If they proceed with us I end up crediting them that first visit charge.

But, for the majority of the clients, if they seem fair, realistic, budgetary and design ready - NO CHARGE!!

Of course, the marriage has to be mutual.

• Charles Erb
    6 years ago

The guy I had said he had a death in the family and couldn't start (before Thanksgiving) Then he had Afib, then 2 guys quit on him, We wanted it done before Christman, He wanted to start 3 weeks before, so we told him we wanted our money back, we haven't got it yet. Yes, we did learn something; Some of the contractors are not to be trusted, and if not careful you get burned badly. No, I didn't want information, I wanted a new bathroom.

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    6 years ago

The lien sure gets there attention. I've had to do this when contractors/subs do not finish the work so either I have to do it or pay someone else to do it - I don't care what stories they come up with. They do not have to pay the lien until the property goes up for sale - I remove the lien with the same urgency as I am paid. "Every sheep hangs by his own leg."

I've worked with some youngsters - so when their equipment is set up and materials are "secured" on site I will cut them a check and again as work is completed, but not the full amount so as to ensure the project is finished and worked on continuously. This is agreed to ahead of time, not sprung on them. They have 30 days to pay for the materials - I get to see the receipt. Good business practice needs less trust and more accountability - it is business, not a corporate team building exercise. Trust is built and earned over time through consistent performance.

• User
    6 years ago

@Charles Erb: Just looking at the contractor's website, I would not have used him. Why? No physical address of an office. Although I did find it by doing a search through the phone number. It comes up as Quakertown PA. BBB has no reviews on this company. The BBB file was opened 08.01.12 but not accredited. I'm sure you checked to see if they had a license considering what they advertise for services. The map shows the "office" address as being a house in a subdivision. I also found it is supposed to be a "registered" company, but then that could be registered in the town to do business mostly for tax purposes. I also found 4 ratings on Yahoo which were done mostly (3/4) within one year in 2011 basically one month apart with one being from Clark Home Services itself. The fourth one was in 2013. All 4 ratings were 5 and basically copied each other. And his website is also through Yahoo which can be easily set up for a small monthly fee. Clark's Home Services was set up with Yahoo in 2010. From what I can tell he is basically a handyman but probably not licensed. I found too many things that told me to look elsewhere for a handyman DIY.

Depending on the amount, you may have to file a small claim lawsuit in court.

• skyeryder
    6 years ago

Celestina, I too looked him up and was not impressed although I didn't bother to go as far as you did. Now days, reviews are important and so are references but you need to check them out too. Anyone can put up a nice looking photo as a front to a company and many do.

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    6 years ago

Sometimes the "reviews" are almost comical. But they seem to work like Nigerian Princes in need and "Windows tech support" - someone must still be falling for it. Particularly telling are the companies with review that are all 5's and 1's. The 5's are planted the 1's are from actual customers and the message from the two could not be more disparate.

Always an idea to do a search for their name/company's name and then put "litigation" after it. Try it with "Donald Trump" for instance and see if you would want to work with him. Not being political so much as providing an example.

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    6 years ago

And speaking of litigation and legal matters - Legal Zoom (and most if not all on line legal help) has about the same relationship to law as Home Advisor has to any sort of (professional) service in my opinion (since there are attorneys involved I have to add that). Do yourself a favor and do your legal research first and then hire an attorney that specializes in your type of litigation - don't hire a divorce or real estate lawyer for construction issues. This is my opinion, from my experiences, and does not constitute legal advice.