greenyogini

Golden Oak Trim = Much UGH (Paint HELP!)

greenyogini
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

(Existing wall is "ivory linen" (not sure who makes that). Top left is Chantilly Lace, top right is Whitetail, and lower right is Snowbound.)

Confession: I feel very silly. I've spent countless hours googling (and houzzing, and pinteresting) white paints and things that go with golden oak trim (and scouring comments to find the needle-in-a-haystack-paint-brand-name), so now I'm reaching out for some help.

* The house has gawd-awful oak trim. (You can tell I don't love it.) It's like it's not even finished - it's flat, and none of the nail holes were even filled. I don't think the stain was sealed, either. But it has to stay, at least for the time being (until I can get the green light to change it out, which isn't happening anytime soon). So golden oak = warm trim. There's also horrific tan, wall-to-wall carpeting. :shudder: But it stays for the time being.

(top is Chantilly Lace; bottom/side is Whitetail)

* I don't hate warm wood or warm colors, but my taste veers more cool / modern. I have some blues, greens, greys, and the occasional pops of pink and orange, but mostly neutral to cool in the house.

(See the awful lighting? And icky wall-to-wall carpeting and oak trim? The pink chair is moving to another room.)

* I want white walls for a bazillion reasons. I like to change out art and accessories, and I don't want to be restricted by colored walls. The current color is a builder's type tan which I can't stand - it's warm-on-warm, and the entire house feels yellow and sickly to me.

* I'm choosing a paint for the entire first floor - kitchen, dining room, family room, living / sitting room, halls. This means the light comes from all directions - north, south, and everything in between - and the paint will be viewed in both cool and warm lighting, as well as plenty of shadows.

* One of the rooms (the living / sitting room) has absolutely no overhead light (and no immediate plans to hire an electrician), so it's lit by nearby ambient overheads and a bunch of lamps. Another room is lit only by a small track light over the fireplace, plus a couple of lamps. Both have windows, but the house isn't well lit. (That'll probably change after the carpeting goes. :P )

If you're still with me...so far the contenders are:

- Chantilly Lace, Benjamin Moore

Chantilly Lace Paint · More Info

- Snowbound, Sherwin Williams

Snowbound (SW 7004) · More Info

- Whitetail, Sherwin Williams

(can't find image on Houzz)

- (possibly) Simply White, Sherwin Williams - haven't tested this one yet

Simply White 2143-70 Paint · More Info

- open to other suggestions!

I'm looking for a mostly pure white with just a *hint* of creamy warmth to help with the shadows and blend a bit better with the golden oak trim and lighter tan carpet. Chantilly Lace seems almost right, but a tiny bit stark in some areas, Snowbound seems even cooler, although I like it, and Whitetail seems to match an upstairs hall I recently painted (in Snowfall, by Behr), but pulls more yellow than I think I'll like in some areas.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance! (edited to add more images)

Comments (14)