shedengren

Choosing finish on white oak floor. Any help appreciated!

Sarah
8 years ago

I had 8" character grade white oak installed on my main floor. (About 1200 SF). I told my floor guy I wanted
matte and a light tone and that I did not want it to yellow. He suggested a light colored oil stain with a
water based finish. We ended up using minwax fruitwood mixed with
natural (roughly one to one) with
streetshoe super matte on top.

After the stain went on, I was kind of freaking out. It was so much
darker and more red and intense than I wanted. I knew the water based
finish would tone it down, but I was worried it wouldn't be enough.
Well, the good news is the finish toned it down beautifully, perfectly.
It's a mellow light brown without strong red or yellow undertones. The
bad news is, there is a ton of color inconsistency now. There are places
it looks great and fine and places it looks really uneven and awful,
and way too many places where the filler took the stain harder, or the
end of the board soaked up too much stain or something. My floor guy
came by today and I was hoping we could just fix the worst places but he
doesn't think that will work well and recommends sanding it off and
starting over with a different combo. Here's some pictures of the areas with uneven coloring and darker joints.

I don't fully understand why this floor didn't work out and wish I understood that. Truly, I wish I knew what the actual problem was. The buffing after
the stain? The original sanding job? The finish coat being thicker in
some areas than others? It just makes me sick to my stomach because I
want my floor to be done, and I love the color, but there are too many
problem areas. And the sample boards of course looked fine, so it makes
me wonder how I will know if we will be clear of some of the same
problems with the next go round? We talked
about different options and he said he'd work up sample boards for the
following:

1 - water based sealer with water based finish (no color)

2 - oil based sealer with water based finish (street shoe)

3 - glitsa multikote

4 - woca oil

I love the look of woca oil in pictures (I LOVE the work of Lauren
Liess) but don't know if it would be harder to maintain and keep clean,
or if it would yellow/amber over time. I've heard great things about
glitsa, and my installer says it yellows less than standard oil based
poly, so I'm open to it, but I'm leaning toward number one because I
don't want it to amber/yellow. (And I don't really see how #2 would be that different than what we did with a water based finish over an oil based stain.)
My installer has been installing and finishing wood floors for 20 years
and acts like this is a huge mystery. He acted like I had asked for
something out of the ordinary, and all I had asked for was light, matte,
and not yellow and this was what he'd picked. It just makes me
concerned if the next round will look any better. The sample boards had
looked fine, so I feel like can't just go from those.

Any advice or info is appreciated, and he'll probably sand it all off
tomorrow so I have a day and a half to figure out what I want him to
replace it with! (I also posted this on the flooring forum. Sorry if that is bad form, but I'm hoping for quick feedback.)

Comments (16)

• libradesigneye
    8 years ago

Don't let him make you feel odd - his finish that he recommended was uneven. You asked for what you wanted, you got it but not a good result. This has nothing to do with you and everything to do with him.

The color was right and the finish was matte. Now he needs to deliver a quality result. It probably was uneven buffing after the stain. Fresh sanding may help all the wood absorb the stain more evenly as well.

Don't you be responsible to solve the problem for him. It is his problem, and his area of expertise. If he doesn't get it right this time, look for the next guy but . . he did deliver the basic response you wanted - good color, matte finish. Hang onto that and I bet these results will be great.

Sarah thanked libradesigneye
  • PRO
    CCM Architecture
    8 years ago

Its hard to say for sure on an online forum but it sounds like your contractor is trying to do the right thing just by being willing to sand it off. Even the most experienced professionals don't know everything and wood after all is a natural material that can react differently. If he does in fact have 20 years experience work with him in a collaborative manner. In the end it is your problem as you have to live with it and if you approve a sample he could claim that you signed off on it and discrepancies are natural variations. "Finding the next guy" will probably just cost you more and you may be right back where you started.

Sarah thanked CCM Architecture
  • Related Discussions

Any suggestion

Q

Comments (44)
    You could also bring in some texture with bamboo sticks or decorative branches and help balance a bit the height of your room with small scale furniture. Spray paint them if you find the perfect size and shape but they aren't the color that you need. Ikea carries white decorative stalks for a very good price. the ones in the 1st picture hold well with small kids around and you don't need a vase for them. there are washi paper or crinkly paper floor lamps with a soft beautifully diffused glow For a budget friendly version check ikea or target http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80028552/
    ...See More

Which exterior would u choose

Q

Comments (25)
    I love the exterior lights in the first photograph! It's a great and simple way to give your property a major makeover with something so settle. We talk about exterior lights and 8 other ways to easily add curb appeal to your property in our latest blog post. Read about it here: http://goodfellasconstruction.net/blog/9-ways-to-add-instant-curb-appeal
    ...See More

My house interior help neede

Q

Comments (11)
    Greeting sir, nice to see your replies....please note this white wall contains unistone red brick work (2.6 inches*8inches)concealed with white sticky tape .done to prevant paint stains as noticed and suggested . about the wall coming out of the slope its not in actual merely an illusion becoz of the taping... also.the red brick work is complimented with white cement....for flooring steel grey granite and s white As planned...im attaching u final finished look wud b like...v wud b putting artificial grass garden besides the right side of the building ground floor.. good to know appreciative responses from you..please suggest another ideas floor plan ill share for sure
    ...See More

Need help choosing a kitchen cabinet color

Q

Comments (12)
    Hi Murthy, See from the window reflection in your kitchen, I think that you've got the glossily finished tile for your kitchen. I hope that it's not glossy tiles and probably the light effect in the photo. What kitchen countertop are you planning to select? Select cabinet color in accordance with the kitchen countertop material. -Thanks -Neelam -Lines and Profile
    ...See More
  • Armando o
    8 years ago
    bleaching the wood first would help to get a uniform color. 1 bleach the wood. 2 seal it. 3 apply at he desired glaze.
    Sarah thanked Armando o
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    8 years ago

Start over something went wrong! I would let him take the time sanding and fixing it for you.

Sarah thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • Sarah
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, all. I do appreciate his willingness to want to make it right. I just wish I had a crystal ball to tell me which one would work out great. Woca oil? Water based sealer with matte finish? Just hoping to love whatever we go with...

• PRO
    WOCA USA
    8 years ago

WOCA Oil over White Oak will not yellow or amber over time. As far as cleaning and maintenance, it is ideal you use WOCA products to get the best durability and protection for your floor. Sweeping regularly and mopping once or twice a month is the norm. Feel free to contact us if you have any other questions 800-242-8160.

Sarah thanked WOCA USA
  • Sarah
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for your perspective, Cancork Floor. Is that pretty standard? I wish we had some sort of contract where these things were spelled out. I have been trying to be easy to work with, so I'm paying for materials for this second time around and today he even asked me for some money for labor. I was pretty surprised.

I'm 90% sure I'm going to go with 2 coats of water based sealer and 3 coats of streetshoe super matte. Sure hope things go better with round 2.

I wish I would have taken a little more time to vet this installer but too late now. He certainly hasn't made my cut of contractors that I'm happy to use again and recommend.

• libradesigneye
    8 years ago

What is your contract? Is he labor only? Or did he buy materials the first time for the price he gave you? If so, you buying materials a second time is as far as you need to go to meet him in the middle. You paid for his labor and his labor botched the finish.

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    8 years ago

You pay for labour ONCE....if it takes 2 more kicks at the can then HE is on the hook for the rest of the LABOUR (and supposedly the materials).

As for "is this common"? Sigh. Too many "professional" (I use that in the LOOSEST possible terms) use low-end (read: DIY level) stains/finishes when refinishing hardwood floors. I'm of the opinion that if the poly isn't worth $100+ PER GALLON, it isn't worth it (I sell product that is a 2 part product for $179/gallon). The Streetshoe is in the category of "professional grade finish" and is not the issue.

Traditionally a water based stain is coupled with a water based finish (solvents wreck havoc with water based finishes...best to avoid them). Minwax is a "home owner DIY" level of product. The "better" professionals (especially the NWFA Certified Sand/Refinishers) will work with MUCH HIGHER END stains/products that Minwax. That being said, Minwax is relatively EASY to work with (as stains go)...so it points more and more to "user error" on this.

I hate to ask but curiosity did kill the feline, how much did he charge for the job (per square foot)?

• Sarah
    Original Author
    8 years ago

He bought materials and did the install. I paid for the wood and glue separately outright and he charged me $5/SF for the install (which included all the other finish materials). It seemed a reasonable price for 8" with full trowel glue, compared with other quotes. And he gave me the wood at price, which he didn't have to do, so I don't mind helping with the cost of the sealer and finish on these last coats. I just hope they look great. If we go with the water based sealer (I forgot the name of it, but it's $50/gallon, so I think it's pretty good quality?) and the streetshoe I'm hoping we'll be good.

He could have got stain from his normal place but I think he was feeling time crunched and was worried that the stain might differ from the one I'd tried. I was really nervous about the color and he didn't seem to think it was too critical. Perhaps he was too casual about it and that is where some of these problems came from. According to him he has done things (as in the sanding/buffing/process etc.) the way he normally does, and has done water based over stain before. He feels like the culprit is that the stain was a light color. I don't know that I agree, I just want it done well this time round and be done with it all. I'm tired of stressing about it. (And dealing with the fact that it is holding up cabinets, and everything else beyond.)

• Sarah
    Original Author
    8 years ago

And WocaUSA, thanks for the information! I love idea of using Woca but probably not for this install. Since it includes some areas that will definitely see some water - a kitchen, mudroom, laundry room, and entry - I'm just wanting the extra protection.

• zellycat2
    8 years ago

Cancork, you always have such great input, thanks! What water based stain do you like?

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    8 years ago

I like the stains that are made by the same company that makes the finish. Streetshoe by basics + their stain line. Or Bona Traffic + their stain line. Or Loba 2K + their stain line...you get the idea.

As for the cost of install...$5/sf with FULL SPREAD glue + stain + sanding + finish (materials extra) is on the low side. A sand/refinish of an existing floor = $4-$5/sf. Installing an 8" plank with full spread glue is EXPENSIVE (the labour alone is intense). Several dollars per square foot would be expected...then you add the $4-$5/sf for the finish.

The installer did a great job with the install, he fell down with the stain and finish. He did know his stains and how it would finish...I will give him that. Doing a light stain like this is not easy...and it takes time. And like all things "time is money". I would say he under bid the job and was pushing himself to finish (he rushed the stain...which is why it is inconsistent) so that he could move on and make money on another job.

I'm sorry but this finish is not "salvageable". It must be sanded down and done again. It is not the homeowner's fault that the job was bid too low (but they did accept the bid...)...but it is now the homeowner's experience (part of the decision process of taking the low bid) to live through a full sand and refinish of a brand new floor. And this will continue to occur until the finish is "done right".

The good news is the installer will have learned his lesson: do NOT under bid a project just to win it. Give a price you can make a living off of and let someone else win the low ball estimates.

I can see the installer has the ABILITY to do make this finish work...he just ran out of time and money because of his bid (which was too low for full glue). Let him fix it ONCE. If he can't get it done...then hire someone NEW and send the bill to the original contractor. That's how building law works.

Sarah thanked Cancork Floor Inc.
  • Sarah
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks so much for the input, Cancork. The installer sanded off a bit ago. He did a great job, then he put two coats of sealer down. (Water based, keep forgetting the name.) He's put one coat of finish on and it is all looking fantastic. Now that the cabinets are in he is going to buff and do two more coats of finish sometime this next week. (Streetshoe matte). I felt so unsure what to do after round one, wondering if it would look good after round two. I'm really glad he went forward with it. It just looks so much better. I'll share pictures when it's done. Can't wait to get those last finish coats on, let them cure, and then move back into those rooms. Thanks again, everyone.

• PRO
    ULTIMATE HARDWOOD LTD
    8 years ago
    Ok I'll give you some pointers. 20 yrs experience and he can't pull off an standard satin job? Hmmm. So the reason the stain did not turn out would be a) poor sanding b) not waterpopped c) poor stain application. I agree with cancork-minwax is a very lo-end option. Also note putting down 5 coats of poly is just asking for trouble. Most Waterbourne systems are a 2 coat app. Again agree with cancork I like using compatible stain/finish combos. Loba,glista,Rubio these are all good finishes. I haven't used streetshoe in decades so I can't comment on that. Also note ALL solvent based finish/stains will amber. ALL. Is your 'floor guy' certified? Could also be part of the problem.