tcrp6566

white oak hardwood flooring. STAIN OR LEAVE NATURAL???

tcrp6566
8 years ago

I installed approx. 1600 square ft. of 5 inch wide white oak plank with random lengths throughout my house. I am renovating a tri level house that was built in 1980.

I painted the walls with a muted mint colored paint and plan to trim out the windows and base boards with a colonial style white board. The counter tops are light granite with cherry stained grey cabinets.

The white oak flooring is very cool looking with lots of crazy grain patterns. My dilemma is whether or not to stain the floors dark. I like the idea of using a water based poly and leaving the floor in its natural state. My hesitation is that I already feel like the great room looks washed out. There's no white trim on yet and I realize that the trim and good accent rugs with help make the room appear not so washed out.

I really like the look wood floors stained dark but I have not personally seen a white oak floor stained dark. Most of what I find is engineered white oak.

I have 3 cats and 2 kids ages 17 and 12. Hopefully someone else has had this same dilemma and been pleased with there choice!

Comments (45)