wendyvigeant

Take out a fireplace? Or reface it?

My room off the kitchen leaves me stumped. I want a fresh contemporary look. I'm at a loss right now. Any suggestions would be so helpful.

Comments (46)

• Carol Teig
    8 years ago

Depends on the view beyond the fireplace. If it's lovely, or you plan it to be, I'm a big fan of floor to ceiling windows and wall to wall if possible (be sure to check local building codes before deciding). If the view is not so striking, you're better off retaining the fireplace in some way - adds value. It is possible to have a fireplace surrounded by glass to let more light in. Or make your existing fireplace narrower with bigger windows. The least harrowing option is to reface, although I like what you've got.

Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked Carol Teig
  • PRO
    CLR Design Services, Inc.
    8 years ago

There are some truly amazing textural tiles now that add visual interest and aren't extremely expensive if you end up re-facing. A lot of your decision will be based on budget I'm sure, since demolishing a fireplace is not a "quick fix". Something else to consider is whether or not it would eventually hurt the resale. Even though I'm in Houston, most of my clients still like to have a fireplace and I rarely end up removing it - unless there is an amazing view that trumps it.

Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked CLR Design Services, Inc.
  • Related Discussions

Meditation room design in private garden

Q

Comments (66)
    Thank you roj leather and Simon for your recommendations. I like the hanging chair and the almanda creeper on the wall. This will certainly liven up the patio.
    ...See More

Need help with our living room please!!

Q

Comments (33)
    This arrangement works much better, but some adjustments are needed to make it work. First, the fireplace grouping needs to be tightened. It crowds the dining area and you need a passageway behind the couch. Turn the rug lengthwise, parallel to the fireplace. Pull the large couch about 2 1/2 feet closer to the fireplace, and place the two chairs and loveseat on the ends of the rug, and pull them closer together. This will give you a more intimate conversation area, and not impose on the other areas of the room. Remove that floor lamp from behind the couch. If you need the light in that area, put it by the fireplace. Also, the stereo system on the mantel needs to find another home. Maybe it can go IN the fireplace instead. At the other end of the room, I think the arrangement would look better if the seating were rotated 90 degrees. Keep the rug and coffee table in its current configuration, place the sofa either facing the window or with its back to the window, and put the two chairs opposite it. Finally, the dining area. Now that you've moved the big leather chairs, you should have enough room. Your rug is too small. It should be big enough to give you at least a 2 ft. border all the way around when the chairs are pushed in. And it's a really beautiful table; please uncover it. I can't see what kind of lighting that area has. It really needs a pendant or chandelier hanging directly over the table.
    ...See More

i need help for my formal living and unformal living and dinning

Q

Comments (300)
    I think a comfortable distance between the island and the counter is around 42". It seems that you have only 30" between your cook top and the counter. I might be a little too tight. The wall between the entrance and the kitchen could be 4' long instead of 6', you would then be able to move the island a foot which would give you more room between the cook top and the island. Could you switch the location of the toilet and vanity in your dad's bathroom so your enter facing a vanity instead of a toilet which is a lot nicer.
    ...See More

I want a door there (red rectangle area)

Q

Comments (36)
    How do you decorate your place, what kind of style, colors, and feelings? That will greatly influence the type of door you might want. Also, think of your budget, and whether you want to install it yourself or hire a professional (you don't need to tell us, just keep that in mind). Then look around Houzz, in the products page, they have lots of interior sliding doors and hinged ones, from elegant frosted glass in a dark wood frame, to rustic reclaimed wood planks. You may not want to purchase that exact model, but it might give you a better idea of what would fulfill your airflow needs without sacrificing style.
    ...See More
  • dacklin
    8 years ago

Personally I think the fireplace is contemporary neutral now, and I would put a bold piece of art or if a family room a flat screen TV, which can also be hidden behind art. For me the divided black pane windows are the detractor in the room. For a more contemporary feel go with a solid piece of glass that isnt framed. Love the Tile btw!!

Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked dacklin
  • meora
    8 years ago

The fireplace is contemporary. I would leave it.

Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked meora
  • decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

For "fresh contemporary" I'd reface the FP, replace the western feeling art, bar stools and the rustic/industrial coffee table. Then select a stunning contemporary area rug to anchor your space, adding a new glass and metal coffee table and a pair of contemporary chairs.

Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked decoenthusiaste
  • User
    8 years ago

I love your fireplace and think it works beautifully with your very contemporary space. I would consider making other changes, instead. Have you considered adding an area rug and a larger painting over the sofa as suggested by BeverlyFLADeziner?

Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked User
  • king3253
    8 years ago

I like a darkish red or contemporary many colors rug but even a white shag rug is better than a bare floor. I think all these suggestions will help. To me the room is screaming for color. At least a rug and large painting. Agree with moving arc lamp. Looks empty, not streamlined. Add warmth.

Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked king3253
  • Catherine Barrett
    8 years ago

Keep the fireplace .. lose the coffee table and lack of furnishings ... get some large comfy seating and add some warmth with rug and accents.

Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked Catherine Barrett
  • katscorvette
    8 years ago

reface the fireplace with brick or stone. Something to give it some warmth. It's very cold looking right now.

Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked katscorvette
  • PRO
    KHI Designs
    8 years ago

This is a wonderful look. I think the addition of some decorative items will make a difference. Art over the firebox, a rug and some simple contemporary window treatments will take the starkness out of the space. I think what you are seeing is a scale issue: the fireplace looks large and the windows look small. This is so easily solved with accessories. Treat the kitchen and keeping room (?) as if it were one space. Like colors, the use of textural accents will do wonders. A mantle may help but if it is coquina stone or limestone, don't drill into it - could end up being very costly!

Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked KHI Designs
  • Colleen Nolan
    8 years ago

I think the fireplace is fine. What's missing is design. You have the core pieces but nothing else. You need a rug, a small chair or two for either side of the tv. Something on the fireplace. Curtains, something of the table. Get rid of the fan and get a new one or another light fixture. Seems you ceiling is too low for the floor lamp. Get side tables with table lamps. Keep looking at houzz to get ideas and your inspiration can come from any room, not just family rooms. Keep an open mind. Also pay attention to fireplace pictures for staging yours. Good luck!

Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked Colleen Nolan
  • droosth
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I like Beverly's idea, regarding the painting above the couch. I'm not a fan of the coquina stone, even though it is expensive. I'd have no problem covering it up with a large colorful modern painting. Instead of spending the money taking out the fireplace, why not use it to replace the large ceramic tiles with maybe a grayish wood look ceramic tile. They have some amazing choices that look just like wood without the upkeep.

Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked droosth
  • Delora Dickey
    8 years ago

Jealous, jealous, jealous (in a nice way) that you have a fireplace view from your kitchen! During the holidays, I yearn to be baking, looking at the holiday décor, and enjoying the ambience of a fireplace - all at the same time! So, obviously, I vote to keep it! I agree with most commenters here: smaller coffee table, area rug under coffee table, and horizontal artwork over sofa. Definitely, floor-to-ceiling light drapes on side windows. If you don't need the privacy, I'd opt for swing arm half-rods (about 18") on each side, thus keeping the lovely windows/light "open". Finally, paint! Even if you're not adventurous in color, there are wonderful cream/beige hues that would lend lightness/warmth. The fireplace? Looks just fine.

Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked Delora Dickey
  • N LC
    8 years ago

The fireplace is really not the problem, it is modern and interesting, makes your room different. I would keep as is.

I like the suggestion of BeverleyFLAdezigner : you need to center your coffee table on the fireplace and move couch away from wall. Then 2 absolute must: you clearly need a rug and to replace the wall art with something bigger. I would also add a chair on the other side of the coffe table and plants to add some warmth. Your room is easy to deal with actually, good bones, but right now it is very empty in a sad (sorry :)) not streamlined way. I love simplicity and neutral colors but you need to add things here

Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked N LC
  • tralexan
    8 years ago

A broad visualization, as opposed to specific colors etc. reveals that a clean contemporary look can be achieved without the drastic and costly measures of removing or replacing the fireplace. The walls to either side of the fireplace have been darkened, objects have been removed from the ledge and the painting that was over the couch becomes a focal point.

The ceiling fan is gone because there is no visual cohesion between the cantilever floor lamp and the fan. The inclusion of both creates a sort of uneasy visual strain. The lamp stayed because it is a better fit stylistically.

If you simply dislike the fireplace, of course none of this helps and a large sledge hammer becomes the tool of the day.

Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked tralexan
  • shamasbay
    8 years ago

Keep the fireplace. Add LARGE art over the sofa and fireplace. Add a rug to soften and ground the room. Repeat the black from the window frames and fireplace in the rug, lamps, chairs or table legs. I love this beige room. It just needs punctuation and character. Go with BIG chairs.

Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked shamasbay
  • suezbell
    8 years ago

How much room do you have in your yard behind the fireplace?

Instead of removing the fireplace, extend the room behind it so you can walk all the way around the fireplace and add a sitting nook with a huge bay window wall or even a sunroom with patio doors on that end of the room. You'll have the best of both options -- fireplace and window wall.

Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked suezbell
  • PRO
    PamelaKBeer-ART
    8 years ago

I love the stone fireplace, it is already contemporary and the light color fits well with the surrounding area. It would be a project to make the windows larger, but perhaps less of a project than removing the fireplace. A beautiful contemporary piece of art that glows under a spot light would bring it alive as well as expanding the windows to let in more natural light.

Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked PamelaKBeer-ART
  • rainigirl
    8 years ago

Larger windows on each side would be an improvement. I would embrace your beautiful fireplace and move your furniture around to face it. If you have to, put your tv up on the fireplace, though I am not a big fan of doing so a lot of people do. Paint can change the whole look of the room and it's cheap:)

Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked rainigirl
  • PRO
    PamelaKBeer-ART
    8 years ago

yes, great idea!

Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked PamelaKBeer-ART
  • PRO
    Amy Wolff Interiors
    8 years ago

Ditto what the other designers are saying. The room needs to be decorated properly. And the windows need some gorgeous window treatments to frame the fireplace and make it the star of the show!

Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked Amy Wolff Interiors
  • ballwin1
    8 years ago

looks like you have casual, rustic taste. i would add a chunky distressed barn beam as a mantel. love the table, lose the modern lamp. the room needs more warmth. i love some of the other suggestions to paint darker color on either side, add a rug, move the pic from over sofa to over mantel and get horizontal pic for over sofa. good stuff!

Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked ballwin1
  • PRO
    Amy Wolff Interiors
    8 years ago

We also have "magic" ways to make those windows look much larger without the expense of replacement.

Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked Amy Wolff Interiors
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

add a chunky reclaimed mantel. also you need a longer tv console. and a new fan or light fixture would be great too.

Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked flair lighting
  • PRO
    Floortrends Ltd
    8 years ago

I actually like your fireplace! The colour and texture work in a contemporary room. I like the modern arc light (but it looks like it needs to be repositioned a bit) and I also like the table. As other people have pointed out changing the painting above with a larger (wider) and more modern painting would help. You don't necessarily have to add bright colours to finish the room, you can keep it neutral and use the same colours you currently have but you need to add some texture to add a bit of interest, adding an shaggy area rug and some throw pillows and perhaps another side table or chair will give you opportunity to add some texture and warm up the stone.

Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked Floortrends Ltd
  • PRO
    CB Interior Design
    8 years ago

As the comment above I like your fireplace is the focal point of the room. I would try to find a beautiful painting in the large size and hang it in the center of the fireplace, also you need some window treatment, I would do Plantation Shutters they will give you a clean, contemporary look. In the seating area as mentioned above you need to add an area rug, some throw pillows for the sofa and either an arm chair or two ottomans will bring the space together. The color scheme you can keep it neutral but I always like to add some accent colors, and add some plants on both windows in modern planters they could be in one of the accent colors you use!

Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked CB Interior Design
  • sandradclark
    8 years ago

For heaven's sake do not touch the FP. I think your room will benefit with a smaller coffee table. Stay with a Mid Century Modern style.

Mid-Century Modern Tile Top Coffee Table · More Info

Bent Plywood · More Info

Mid-Century Danish Tile Top Coffee Table Mosaic · More Info

Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked sandradclark
  • PRO
    Labra Design Build
    8 years ago

I feel like one of the big issues is the flooring and lighting. The cloudy ceramic tile with wide dark grout lines isn't a beautiful material that is critical in a minimal/contemporary space. Also some additional bright lighting to balance the windows, offsetting their hard shadows and lighting up the space would really help. I agree the ceiling fan is also detracting from the space.

Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked Labra Design Build
  • janabanana
    8 years ago

The elephant in the room is not the fireplace, it is the floor. It looks dated while the fireplace looks contemporary. Also agree the room needs proper sized wall art and new thinking on the windows to the sides of the fireplace. PamelaBeer posted a photo with larger windows and they look dynamite.

Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked janabanana
  • Jo-Marie Rutledge
    8 years ago
    I would keep the firplace and change the floors to hardwood or hardwood-looking, as in ceramic tiles or luxury vinyl tiles.
    Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked Jo-Marie Rutledge
  • woofwoof
    8 years ago
    rug, rug, rug! maybe a smaller coffee table but the look is right. ceiling fan sort of awkward there. window coverings of an organic nature....maybe woven shade? don't lose the f.p., you will regret it.
    Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked woofwoof
  • Nassland
    8 years ago
    You have a lovely home..........
    Looking at your pictures......you have two focal points in the room....the fireplace and the TV
    Keep the fireplace and move the TV to hang over the fireplace opening
    Back to the pictures you have only the sofa in the room to sit on.......
    Get a room size rug, get a WOW rug.
    I would find 4 chairs ( all the same ) the best the budget would allow. Choose these chairs in a color not a print ( a small print that reads as a solid color ). And place them North, East, South and West around a smaller coffee table. This will make the room look larger and there is a place for everyone ( people don't like to sit too close ).
    The wall where you have the sofa now, I would use that as a art gallery for my children's art work. Their art work tend to be contemporary and funky...have them framed the same with the type frame.
    Most of this can be done with a budget in mind, just buy good quality big pieces. Pieces that you love. They will last a long time
    Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked Nassland
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

nassland, Not sure if there is an attic or second floor over this room, but how do you expect Wendy to feed the electrical and cable wires to the fireplace without destroying the stone on the face of the wall?

Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • rcarterworld
    8 years ago

Keep the fireplace! Just update the floors....

Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked rcarterworld
  • Jennifer Owen
    8 years ago

I would keep the fireplace as well!

Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked Jennifer Owen
  • PRO
    Broadway Kitchens & Baths
    8 years ago

For resale value Id keep it and reface to your style.

Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked Broadway Kitchens & Baths
  • Lisa Mchugh
    8 years ago

Re-tile the floor with a wide bleach wood contemporary tile. Agree, the stone in the FP is beautiful. A nice piece of neutral art, and soft white linen curtains to diffuse those windows would be my start.

Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked Lisa Mchugh
  • PRO
    CB Interior Design
    8 years ago

You are very welcome Wendy! You will have a beautiful family room!

• Deborah Barnhart
    8 years ago

I am assuming that you don't want to outlay a lot of cash right now, so the ideas to toss your furniture, replace your windows or add on are great! But maybe for later when the budget permits. For now I agree with many above. Figure out a color palate and choose a wow big rug and large art above the fireplace. Curtains also and make them tall and wide to cover the whole area or most of it. It will make the Windows look bigger.. Get some color in that room, but read up on color choices so your room doesn't end up a mish mash. Agree the arc lamp should face away from the FP--easy to move around and see. Plus if you get end tables, table lamps might work better. I didn't see anyone else say this--the stone face is beautiful but what ever is covering the fireplace makes it look like a black hole. You could get a new screen that is more contemporary. Chrome? Bronze? Paint it? Something that contrasts rather than blending in. Ok my don'ts. Don't brick the FP it screams rustic ranch house-- plus you have that beautiful stone! Don't drill into the stone, it could possibly ruin it forever-- you have so many other choices. Don't hang the TV over the FP because it involves drilling into the stone and you have to crane your neck to watch TV. I would maybe hang the TV on the same wall it's on to get rid of the TV stand because I like the streamlined look and additional floor space. And you have to add a shelf for TV components. But if you like thr TV stand, keep it. Agree that a spotlight on the FP art would be good coming from the fan's opening. But if the fan is centered in the room leave it. If not, put the spot in its place and move the ceiling fan to the center. I live in Texas so I understand the importance of fans. Mine has a light kit but you seem to have spots that give good light. Ok, can you tell I'm in the middle or redoing my LR and dealing with a FP? Hope this helps!

Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked Deborah Barnhart
  • home548
    8 years ago

Reface but it looks great now. I'd leave it and use your money elsewhere.

Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked home548
  • suezbell
    8 years ago

Other thoughts:

Something you might consider at some point is to replace the two windows beside the fireplace with doors with plenty of glass panes and add a deck behind the fireplace.

Your floor looks fine; unless it is damaged in some way, you shouldn't replace it unless you're planning to rip out the fireplace -- something which I would not do -- or it is somehow damaged.

A rug could add a feeling of warmth during the coldest months but a rug is certainly not needed in summer. A large planter/pot on a wheeled dolly for each window would make the room more inviting and add oxygen. Think snake plant or rubber tree plant for there.

If you add drapes to your windows by the fireplace for looks rather than privacy, you could use double rods and have the rods wider than the windows -- as wide as the space permits -- in order to completely expose the windows when the drapes are opened -- visually enlarging the windows -- and a have set of sheers on the inner rod you can leave closed to soften the look a bit from modern to contemporary. You have enough wall beside the windows to be able to add a wood cornice above the windows to cover the curtain rods.

If you are wanting to add a window treatment for privacy, consider louvered shutters.

Having a ceiling fan in this room is the right idea but you might spend some time seeing if you can find one you like better -- something more your idea of the contemporary style you seek. The floor lamp you have is more modern than contemporary.

A fireplace without a mantel is also more modern than contemporary. You might consider adding a wood finished mantel with side 'legs' to support it. That way you could decorate the fireplace by setting stuff on the mantel instead of hanging a painting or tv on the fireplace. If you opt to add a mantel, the traditional top of a mantel should be at a height so the average person will be able to see the framed family photos and mementos that traditionally decorate a mantel without having their heads tilted at an awkward angle.

You're getting suggestions about moving the painting to above the fireplace: While the large painting currently above the sofa would look good over the fireplace, heat from a fireplace can damage a painting or electronics. If you added a mantel to deflect the heat from the fireplace a bit it would serve to help protect the painting and your investment in it. Ditto about the mantel to deflect heat if you opt to move your tv to above the fireplace.

If you do move your tv to above the fireplace, you should consider adding to your room a stuff cabinet -- for "stuff" you could display but don't want to dust or necessarily want to be the focal point of the room (candles or candy dishes or especially nice vases that you are not currently using for their intended purposes, knick knacks, mementos of vacations, etc. ) with glass doors that is the same length and height as your sofa that matches your kitchen cabinets and have that cabinet face your kitchen and put the back of your sofa against that cabinet with your facing the fireplace and, of course, turn the coffee table around, too.

Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked suezbell
  • home548
    8 years ago

The more I look at the photos and read the comments and suggestions the more I love the FP. I too am jealous and would love that view from the kitchen. I agree with others in the fact that you could use a carpet, window treatments and accessories but first I'd PAINT! I think you have great bones in this room, you just need to make a colour board to include wall colour, accent colour, then choose a carpet colour, fabric colours for the window treatment or shutters, art work and maybe a throw and cushions to soften the look of the couch.

Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked home548
  • PRO
    Grand Valley Window Coverings
    8 years ago

I LOVE your fireplace! You have done an excellent job bringing out the natural look of your fireplace with your coffee table. I agree that window treatments at the eye level will do a lot for the look of your room. Our recommendation would be the Alustra Woven Textures Shades by Hunter Douglas. They have a very exclusive line of organic and synthetic fabrics that can be made into simple roller shades or classic roman shades. For additional light and privacy, you could incorporate the Top-down/Bottom-up feature.

Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked Grand Valley Window Coverings
  • dancywalden
    8 years ago

My two cents... Keep the FP as is, as others have said. The flooring is a detractor, but no need to replace, just add color with a large area rug. Larger artwork. Ceiling fan and the curved lamp don't suit each other - unless you really need/use the ceiling fan, it should go. Please don't move the TV to the FP, it will just ruin the stone. The windows are fine as is. Once you add some color, warmth, and softness with textiles you are on your way to a comfortable and contemporary look.

Wendy Vigeant | Artist thanked dancywalden
  • PRO
    Strata Alexopoulou
    7 years ago

I would recomend cladding the fireplace in a way that matches the walls. In that way it would partially desapear and have and even more contemporary look as it has now.