vimalgopalani83

Need help with our living room please!!

vimalgopalani83
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago
This is our living room , its a very large space and I don't get a cozy feeling around here. Plus we have a rectangular area in the hall as seen in the 3rd and 4th pictures....have no idea what to do with it. I am big on cozy intimate areas for some family time and conversation corners. Please help

Comments (33)

• anne dee
    7 years ago
    Bayshore Estates Custom Home · More Info

inspiration pic
    follow the link for more pictures
  • Related Discussions

Need help with our living room please!!!

Q

Comments (1)
    Can you share some photos of the room?
    ...See More

Need help decorating our family room and kitchen

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi, Our new home is nearing completion. We are looking for suggestions and ideas in decorating our living room and kitchen based on the plan attached. All walls in living room are double ceiling. 1) We plan to put our TV on wall B. We are open to wall mounting or getting a custom made cabinet there. 2) Fireplace has a nice mantle 3) Wall A is really big and tall. I am wondering what to put there. 4) Ceiling has 4 recessed lights 5) Windows on wall D faces East so there will be ample morning light. Windows are really huge. 3 at the bottom and 3 at the top. 6) Flooring is hand scraped hardwood in dark color Specifically it will help us if you can suggest - Wall Colors, faux finish ideas, art work, paintings, pictures ideas lighting ideas Blinds / shutters ideas - Is it advisavble to put blinds/shutters on the 3 top windows Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks
    ...See More

Need help in designing living-room

Q

Comments (6)
    What are those red curved lines? The measurement is also not clear. What i understood with this is that , You should have two different rooms - one is formal drawing room with only sitting area and for that you need not provide a partition as it should look grand from your entryway and second one should be the living room. There you must give a partition between both the rooms so that the person sitting in the drawing room cannot peek in the living room and it'll be kind of privacy as other area will also be not directly visible . By giving a partition you are messing up the passage way more.
    ...See More

Need help with design ideas for living room

Q

Comments (5)
    Hey, Thanks for nice article that has been written in very a good manner.I really like your living room.Really houzz is a wonderful platform where one can get beautiful tips and ideas for house decor.A living room is the space where persons spend plenty of time, so it is vital to make a composed atmosphere.If you need inspiration for designing your living room, you have to choose the right color,material and furniture needed to make the living room a better place,therefore it is advisable you should contact with interior designer for this work as they have a good knowledge and ideas.The finest advice while beautifying a living room is to find a balance between current and flexible stuff
    ...See More
  • Lupe Melendez
    7 years ago
    A wall seperating the living room and making that other room a dining room would look better and seperate the two. Also, I would take the couches away from those pretty patio doors and face them on the opposite side. Take the curtains off and make the doors stand out...they are big and pretty. You can even paint them white or stain them. To make the room a bit more cozy you can remove one of the couches and just either get a recliner or a nice chair....less crowded is always better!
    vimalgopalani83 thanked Lupe Melendez
  • groveraxle
    7 years ago
    Divide the area into three distinct zones. The center zone should have furniture grouped around it in an intimate seating arrangement with the fireplace as focal point. Move what I assume is a game table to one end or the other, and the remaining end can be the TV viewing zone.

Also, please unleash your drapes. Uptight drapes never contribute to a cozy feel.
    vimalgopalani83 thanked groveraxle
  • vimalgopalani83
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Lupemele dividing the room by building a wall will not be possible as we like the space and also there is only one entry way to the living room from the rest of the house
    Groveraxle, that is the dinning table, will two seating arrangements- the fireplace area and tv viewing area not make the room look too crowded??

Thankyou for your suggestions keep them comming......it helps to get a new perspective.
  • anne dee
    7 years ago
    Just to be clear are you telling us that this space will be used for dining and lounging i.e. living room/family room
    Besides the entry does this large space open up to other rooms I.e. kitchen etc.
    Can you define your style and colour preferences
    Is this a family home
    Basic info is sometimes required before we are able to give you an intelligent answer to your dilemma
    Thank you :)
  • lessismoore
    7 years ago
    This is a rather grand space. But the casual overstuffed leather does not jibe well (for me) with the flowery curtains, tapestrys, and renaissance art. Nor those with the dark woods, or the more modern dining set. You need to pick a "style" in your furnishings and accessories to achieve a more cohesive look. (Why do I want to suggest Louis XIV?) This room needs a much larger/grander dining set. You still have plenty of room for "intimate" seating at either end.
  • groveraxle
    7 years ago
    vimalgopalani83, you already have two seating arrangements, so no, two seating areas won't make the room look crowded. A fireplace is always a focal point, so one conversation area should surround it. Your dining table is dwarfed in that huge space.

Next question: where is the kitchen? That would determine where I would put the dining set. Once you decide on a purpose for each of your three spaces (or four spaces if we consider that little alcove to the left of the club chairs), then we can talk about functional arrangements and bringing it all together.
  • PRO
    Maguire
    7 years ago
    You've got to try to make major furniture placement changes. Your furniture placement is all wrong now (sorry, but it is). Would you move the dining room set to the red wall end and move the 2 sofas in the red end facing each other in front of the fireplace with the rug under. Then snap another picture so we can get an idea of the scale? Put the other two chairs in the red area in the hall for now.
  • PRO
    Veronica Lawrence Interiors
    7 years ago
    Try it out as I suggested: I you could also add a sofa table behind the sofa end tables each side of the sofa with lamps. If your area rug is 8' x 10' it will give you an area for the seating. The sofa and chair front legs shoug go on the rug - not the whole furniture piece. Don't be afraid of open space, it's OK to have some flow through the rooms
  • PRO
    Veronica Lawrence Interiors
    7 years ago
    Adding large plants to the space can also help to fill and soften the room
  • decoenthusiaste
    7 years ago
    Your wide hall needs a dramatic round foyer table. The FP needs a group of your four chairs around a glass coffee table. The chairs don't have to match - two of each style is fine since all of yours appear to be leather. The window area needs to become the dining area. The section across from the wide hall should be for your two matching sofas and coffee table. The end by the large doors would be a great spot for a pool table. The extra mis-matched sofa cold go on the wall where the dining table is now.
    Coastal Living | Davis Island | Interior Design · More Info

Bill Bolin Photography - Christy Blumenfeld Architecture · More Info

Formal reception space · More Info
  • vimalgopalani83
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Anne dee, Yes this is a living room and we want to use it for dinning, lounging area, entertaining and basically family room as well.
    The living room opens up to a small bedroom near the red area as seen in picture 4 below, and a kitchen - exactly opposite the narrow alcove-around the tufeted chairs area as seen in picture 3 below. Behind the tufeted chairs, open the patio doors to a little open space as in picture 2 below. Next to the dinning table is the entry to the living room from the main door and lobby area as seen in picture 1 below.
    we prefer colours that add warmth and comfort like beige, cream, whites, lilacs. Please refer the pictures below.
  • vimalgopalani83
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Grover axle, the kitchen is right opposite the narrow rectangular area, next to the tufted chairs.
    we want to use the living room for
    1 - dinning
    2- entertaining/ lounging
    3- tv viewing
    4- no idea about the rectangular space:) but yes definitely want to use it smartly. Its also a little deep inside and a little claustrophobic, so not sure reading would be a good idea. Any suggestions are .
  • Andrea D.
    7 years ago
    You seem to have a lot of furniture along the walls leaving a big open space which is fine for ball room dancing. Move furniture around closer to middle and buy a bigger area rug.
  • vimalgopalani83
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I am trying to upload more pictures but the old ones keep coming up. Have started another discussion with my name, please check for further reference.
  • groveraxle
    7 years ago
    No, no, don't start another discussion. Here, I've moved the pics from that discussion to here. In my next comment I will discuss your furniture arrangement.
  • snyggt
    7 years ago
    I agree with" lessismoore" you need to pick what style to go for.Your dining room furniture are to modern for the rest of the things in your room and the curtains got to go they don't do anything for that window.You have a great space to work with.
  • groveraxle
    7 years ago
    Re: photos above:

Pic 1 is the space opposite the fireplace. This is where your conversation area belongs. Move one of your sofas here. Put it facing the fireplace with a coffee table in front, and put your tufted chairs on each end of the coffee table facing each other.

Pics 2 and 3 are your dining area. Put the dining table in front of the patio doors.

Pic 4 is your TV viewing area. Remove the dark sofa (put it in front of the fireplace) and place the TV on that wall opposite the wall with the lighter sofa, the painting, and the air conditioner.

For now, don't worry about rugs or tables or lamps. Just move this furniture into position, take more photos and upload them HERE (please don't start another discussion) and then we can talk about adjusting things and pulling it all together.
  • groveraxle
    7 years ago
    vimalgopalani83, when you get the furniture moved, we will take each space in turn, working on colors and styles and accessories. Trying to do the whole room at once is overwhelming because it really is three spaces all in one big room. So let's think of it as if it were three separate rooms and treat each one separately while at the same time, we make sure they all relate to each other.
  • deepsjoseph
    7 years ago
    As said by groveraxel the fire place can have the tufted sofa and the chairs placed against the coffee table...Since the kitchen is nearby placing the dining table parallel to it makes a lot of sense.But those door opening to the patio will look gud if they have glass on it !!
  • lessismoore
    7 years ago
    I get the impression that the fireplace is a movable fixture. as well as the pillars flanking it.
  • vimalgopalani83
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    The fire place is not movable, but the pillars are.
  • Elisa Jed
    7 years ago
    Well other than trying to get a custom fireplace, try bringing in the furniture. With that much space you can afford to waste some. Have the couch on an angle (takes up more space and adds to the conversation aspect). Get some rugs, the floor is too cold. Try to add soft things (curtains, pillows, rugs etc.)
  • groveraxle
    7 years ago
    I see the fireplace is not a real fireplace. Do you intend to get a gas insert for that space?

In the meantime, I have moved your dining table and chairs to the end by the kitchen and enlarged your rug to fit. I think you'll see it doesn't look so lost anymore.
  • decoenthusiaste
    7 years ago
    Thanks, grover... I can't ever show what I explain. Guess that confused you 'cause my suggestion is on the secondary thread where the additional pix were posted.
  • PRO
    Maguire
    7 years ago
    Once again great work Grover! Now if vimalgopalani83 would physically move the furniture around then snap a couple more pictures., I know you can fine tune it, helping with art, light, accessory placement too!
  • vimalgopalani83
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Groveraxle, yes the FP is not real, its just a pretend FP:).
    You suggested that i move the black sofa facing the FP with 2 tufeted chairs that are dark brown at the coffee table ends.

Is it ok to place non- matching sofas in one seating area??
    In the tv viewing area you have placed the brown tufeted 3 seater sofa against the wall with the airconditioner, we also have a black 2 seater and a black single seater placed against the window......should i leave them there or move them facing the window?
    Thankyou so much for the help.....will place the furniture as suggested and snap a few pics....:)
  • vimalgopalani83
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Same prob again......the old pics keep getting uploaded when i put upthe new pics........kindly refer to the new discussion.......sorrrrryyy all :(
  • groveraxle
    7 years ago
    Here are your pics, transferred to this thread. When you upload new pics to the discussion, you must be sure you're choosing the right ones. If the old pics keep uploading, it's because you are selecting them, not the new ones.
  • groveraxle
    7 years ago
    This arrangement works much better, but some adjustments are needed to make it work. First, the fireplace grouping needs to be tightened. It crowds the dining area and you need a passageway behind the couch. Turn the rug lengthwise, parallel to the fireplace. Pull the large couch about 2 1/2 feet closer to the fireplace, and place the two chairs and loveseat on the ends of the rug, and pull them closer together. This will give you a more intimate conversation area, and not impose on the other areas of the room.

Remove that floor lamp from behind the couch. If you need the light in that area, put it by the fireplace. Also, the stereo system on the mantel needs to find another home. Maybe it can go IN the fireplace instead.

At the other end of the room, I think the arrangement would look better if the seating were rotated 90 degrees. Keep the rug and coffee table in its current configuration, place the sofa either facing the window or with its back to the window, and put the two chairs opposite it.

Finally, the dining area. Now that you've moved the big leather chairs, you should have enough room. Your rug is too small. It should be big enough to give you at least a 2 ft. border all the way around when the chairs are pushed in. And it's a really beautiful table; please uncover it. I can't see what kind of lighting that area has. It really needs a pendant or chandelier hanging directly over the table.
  • vimalgopalani83
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    No i upload the new pics but really dunno why I'm facing this problem all the time.......