christiemg

What to do with fireplace? HELP!

Christie Gaynor
8 years ago
We are going through a house renovation and unfortunately our fireplace, due to code clearance, had to be brought in 18" into our living room/great room (our kitchen now is open to the living room and faces this fireplace. They did not make the fireplace wall large enough and we bought the mantel 60" that they told us to buy. We were going for this look:

Brownhouse Design · More Info

The TV inset with a white frame around it on top and then stone surround with two "legs" of the mantel on each side. Since the wall jutted out, I was going to have the mdf "leg" wrap around the side of the wall to make the mantel surround legs look thicker and the wall seem less intrusive into the room. I hope this makes sense.

Now as you can see from the attached photos, the mantel bottom is smaller than the wall so if I put legs, there would not be any room for the stone. I want to use the stone. So should I put stone all below and just frame in white on each side and then do the frame above for the TV? Or try to connect the legs and make the mantel bigger somehow. Just so confused on what to do. The leg posts were going to match the posts we have in the dining room (just left of this pic) and the newel on the staircase. So disappointed. Any ideas? We will have sconces on each side. Craftsman-like house with mouldings. Thank you!

Comments (4)