emmelinewe

Are pantries a thing of the past?

Emmeline Westin
10 years ago
I was chatting to a friend over the weekend about kitchen space and how I'd really like a pantry. The friend muttered it was a waste of space.

Do you agree? Are pantries going out of fashion?

Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC. · More Info

Comments (37)

• Victoria Harrison
    10 years ago
    I know someone who ripped out a pantry to make space for a new, open plan style kitchen and has regretted it ever since! I would love a pantry, it's on my wish list.
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    10 years ago
    Since there has only been one house I lived in that had a pantry, I don't feel like they were ever IN fashion! LOL! Now root cellars, those get used in my family. I think it depends on whether the space is organized well for what you store in the pantry, as well as whether or not you ever buy things in large enough quantities to need storage for them. If you are the kind of person who stops at the store every day for fresh goods for that evening's meals, then you may not need a pantry. However, if you are like the individual who posted this dilemma https://www.houzz.com/discussions/storage-dilemma-dsvw-vd~931251 and only get one or two shipments of goods a year that you need to store until used, a real pantry may be important.
  • lellogirl
    10 years ago
    I love having a pantry. I've had them in all my houses, the bigger the better. I use them. My only nit-picking about them is that they not have wire shelving, which my last one did. I can't stand things sliding through and sitting crooked!
  • User
    10 years ago
    How can a space like that go out of fashion? Everyone can use extra room for storage of kitchen and entertaining supplies. Square footage is expensive, builders made the decision to stop using pantries and go to oversized and underused open spaces. Yea for the pantry. I would love to have one.
  • Chandani
    10 years ago
    I wouldn't base my decision on whether it is trendy or not. If you like to cook, entertain, have lots of small appliances, like to keep a stock of the basics, then it seems wise to have a pantry. I think it is more a matter of lifestyle. I don't have a pantry, but have storage in my laundry room and basement!!
  • qam999
    10 years ago
    I have a book of kit house plans from 1917, talking about how the "old-fashioned pantry" (yes verbatim), used to store "potatoes for winter...preserves, table leaves, brooms" is becoming a thing of the past, replaced by a "bright, modern and sanitary kitchenette"! That actually made no sense as the kitchenette does not include space for the potatoes and brooms.

Space to store food and utensils will always be in style. I've never had a walk-in pantry myself, but those I know who do, love them.
  • User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I couldn't do without my pantry. I don't want canned goods, cereal boxes, extra paper towels, big serving pieces and small appliances, etc., etc, taking up valuable easy to reach cabinet space, who would? Mine is tucked under my back stairs, next to my fridge and in constant use.
  • PRO
    Studio M Interior Design
    10 years ago
    I think that they still have a place in modern day homes. I'd say to just turn it into a butler's pantry with a prep space, cabinetry, maybe a wine fridge and a sink.
  • lefty47
    10 years ago
    HI -- The most important question is -- do you need a pantry ? Pantry cabinets and or walk in pantry rooms are needed and wanted more than ever before . How on earth could this be a waste of space . Your friend is behind the times ,misguided and misinformed !!
  • Susan Malone
    10 years ago
    it is on my wish list for my next home, which I am designing at present. love them
  • User
    10 years ago
    My buyers always want and look for a pantry when choosing a home, it's a big selling feature in my area.
  • wmsf
    9 years ago
    Dont get rid of a pantry, I have a fridge in mine, food And its very useful to hide stuff if people call unexpectedly!
  • PRO
    Anthony Edwards Kitchens
    9 years ago
    Love working with pantries, good design / planning make them very practical and when they are done properly they just become a part of your life that works !
  • PRO
    Charmean Neithart Interiors
    9 years ago
    No, I love pantries. When I re-modeled my own kitchen many years ago that was one of the things that prompted the project. Previous design did not include a pantry and it really was impractical. I always consider a pantry when I am designing a new kitchen.
    Emmeline Westin thanked Charmean Neithart Interiors
  • bombel1972
    9 years ago
    if you have the extra space, i'd go for it. storage is SOOOO crucial. and especially if you could walk into it, and see what you're looking for, grab it---that's great. compared to trying to dig back into a cupboard. if i could, i would. totally. personally, i will always find it in fashion (unless you have SUCH a big kitchen with MANY cupboards, then maybe not?) ha
  • PRO
    Smartstyle Interiors
    9 years ago
    I'm getting a lot of request for pantries from clients. They make it so easy to store all food which isn't in the fridge/freezer, so no more wondering which cupboard you put the beans in.
  • polly46
    9 years ago
    Would love one
  • Tryphic
    9 years ago
    We've got a pull out larder unit, wouldn't be without it! Saves so much space and is so easy!
  • Karin Madgwick
    9 years ago
    Butlers pantries are taking over in Australia
  • PRO
    Treyone
    9 years ago
    We still have plenty of clients who like these in their home. Having items on display and easily reachable but also out of the way gives so much versatility to the rest of the kitchen space.
  • tiredoldwoman
    8 years ago

I have kept my old larder/ pantry , most of my street pulled them out making way for extra worktop plus unit above . But I love mine , it's now 70 years old and has seen out 3 kitchen refits .It's got ventilation and a stone shelf which in the winter is as cool as the fridge - it's great for extra storage or to defrost things . At Christmas time I'd be lost without it - it keeps the drinks cool and holds prepped veg and extra puddings !!

• Marina
    8 years ago

I had one in an Edwardian house. It was fabulous as I was able to store so much in there and it was all easily accessible. I would love to have one again.

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I had one for 25 years in our old home, my mother and grandmother also had them, our present home of 15 years doesn't have one and I wish it did. Our old pantry had space for loads of stuff and we could record the height of our children as they grew on the wall behind the door, we never painted over it, just left the area the original colour, a little bit of family history, no idea if it is still there!

Emmeline Westin thanked User
  • Olena Tkach
    8 years ago

I guess, it depends on two factors: how much free space you have to incorporate it and your lifestyle: do you really need it? As for me, I always have lots of products to store: various oils, various vinegars, varios seeds and grains, pastas, herbs, teas, nuts and dried fruits, various kinds of flour, sugars, honeys, juices, pickles, mushrooms, baking and asian cousine ingredients, spices and canned corn, tuna and pineapples. I feel a need in a good pantry because currently, without having one, I use too much cabinetry in my kitchen which is already too small (around 7 sq.m.). Meanwhile, I have a friend whose only stores outside the fridge are a bottle of oil, some sugar to drink coffe with, a coffe package, cereals and salt. He does not cook, he buys frozen meals or eats outside of home. Morning ccereals is the thing his kitchen is mostly used for. Obviously, for him a pantry is a waste of space.

Actually, looking at the pic in your post, I think that I'd not need a pantry if everything I store was only what is pictured there =)

• ladyfrazer1
    8 years ago
    Best thing I've ever done, love mine it's only 1 month old every woman should have a pantry, mines not painted yet it's worki n progress, kept the window behind, put up a black out blind, it's as cold as a fridge
  • Rob
    8 years ago
    Totally he opposite, they are coming back into fashion. We made a kitchen from an old bedroom and bathroom and repurposed a built in wardrobe for a pantry and love it
  • susan Morris
    8 years ago
    I have a small one but fund it useful and would not like to be without one . I do wish however mine was full of food like nigellas
  • PRO
    Maison De Caron Interior Design
    8 years ago

In my opinion a pantry is a fantastic functional feature for any kitchen, Oozing character. I wish I was lucky enough to have one.

• tina_napier_green
    8 years ago
    Love my pantry space - it houses all the grubbings I don't reach for on a daily basis in my kitchen - such as the kitchen aid , magi mix , ice cream maker , nespresso , juicer ,pestle &.mortar blah blah - does turn into a dumping ground if I am not disciplined but I would not be without it . Lucky to have a period house that has a serious amount of storage built into each room . If I were putting a new build together I would def have a pantry & deep shelved cupboards in the dining & drawing rooms - when would additional cupboard space be a bad idea ?????
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    8 years ago
    From a designers perspective ( and I'm an independent one - not selling anything other than design ) I find that the main types of pantry requests - the big furniture type pantry on the wish list (mostly) of those with a more classic style of furniture - some can also get more space for their cash with a (plaster /brick ) built in one - these can sometimes suit a more modern style of kitchen too if done sleekly with push close doors or if space is tight then pull out larders seem to fit the brief - but also base cupboards are being replaced with deep drawer cabinets, which sometimes, negates the need for a pantry cabinet if one can't be placed due to other constraints - on the flip side - occasionally - I'm getting people who dedicate a complete room to pantry space, with mixers and other gadgets set up for use at any time.

The other main change from when I started nearly 31 years ago is utility rooms now seem ( mostly ) to be purely laundry rooms now - with attention given to sorting baskets - space for folding, hanging, ironing and mending ... With larger laundry rooms including sewing and once or twice parcel /gift wrapping desk !

I see it all as positive changes to suit the needs of the family's that use the space and who the rooms can be modified to suit their lifestyle better !

Adding links to some examples from our pro page ...

https://www.houzz.co.uk/ideabooks/22651514/thumbs/oneplan-project-ll-laundry

http://www.houzz.co.uk/projects/1167511/oneplan-project-lh-kitchen

OnePlan Project: LL Laundry · More Info
  • PRO
    Bridget Reading ID
    6 years ago

No they re not a thing of the past, my client's are requesting we design pantries into our schemes.

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Hi,

I spent the first half of my career taking pantries out and the second half putting them back in !!!!!......

Most clients that speak to me now definitely want a pantry if it's possible to fit one in. They are a really functional addition to any kitchen and a good selling point in the future.

Types of pantries:

• Bulk Food Storage.
    • Semi utility and food storage.
    • Crockery storage
    • Wine, Beer & Food..

You obviously need to decide on the main functional requirement then design it accordingly.

The most interesting one I designed was a breakfast pantry.

Sounds like an odd idea but it worked really well, it housed all the large packets of cereal, bread bins, jams, toaster, juicer etc...

Hope that helps,

Martin

www.3dinteriorillustration.co.uk

www.angel-martin.com

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    6 years ago

2 years old post.

• Alicja Hughes
    6 years ago
    Definitely not a waste of space! I had a pantry in my previous house and I loved it. Now since we moved I can't get used to not having one. No cupboards can accommodate as much stuff as a pantry!Kitchen renovation is my next project in the current house and I already have plans to make a space in my new kitchen for a pantry.
  • PRO
    Vivid Line Furniture Ltd
    6 years ago
    “Larders” or built in “Pantries” - oh i love these and so do my clients! They are the best thing ever and if there is an opportunity to squeeze one in I highly recommend to do so! They are great to hide away the clutter or toaster if it has a worktop, put away all your baking stack and spices and Kitchen Aid ... or if there is space - add a mini sink and boiling water tap inside, decorate interior with antique mirror or wallpaper, or make a “drinks bar” behind fancy pocket doors! Whatever the lifestyle - it’s the pandora nook of the kitchen! Some pics of mini larders below ...
  • PRO
    Bridget Reading ID
    6 years ago

My client's love a pantry and we try to include them in our schemes whenever possible. On this project we made it a feature of the rear entrance to the property and incorporated a glazed display cabinet into the pantry screen through which you can view the kitchen. Therefore the pantry is not a dark cubby hole but a beautiful useful feature of the house.