vcaldwell1227

Whether to use glossy or matte white subway tiles?

vcaldwell1227
10 years ago
Remodeling main bath, can't decide whether to use glossy or matte white subway tiles for walls up to 3 ft. And into bath/shower.. Will be using light grey grout with it. Flooring is a dark greyish brown wood look porcelain tile. Paint color above 3 ft. Wall subway tiling will be Benjamin Moores Edgecomb Grey or similar. Thanks!

Comments (17)

• Courtney
    10 years ago
    I think glossy skews more old fashioned/industrial, and matte more strictly modern.
  • Related Discussions

Help me decide floor tiles people!

Q

Comments (21)
    I am assuming you haven't finalised your wall colours and colours of any other fixed elements. In case you have finalised your color scheme you would need to see which of these colours blend well or complement with that scheme. Assuming none of this info is available, then you could look at the neutrals which go with all colours. The white tile and the 2 colours at the end would be preferable. If you want color on the floor as well as drama, you can choose from the 2nd options from both sides or even the 1st from left.
    ...See More

Kitchen Tiles Design

Q

Comments (6)
    for kitchen you should use white tiles with some other tiles like photos of chocolates coffee tea etc. printed on it
    ...See More

I’m hoping to find some backsplash ideas for our kitchen.

Q

Comments (5)
    Greetings from Dream Design, As per your inputs we suggest some ideas -Don't go with too dark backsplash as it will make the kitchen dull after some time and kitchen will look smaller -You can go with marble/tile or even the same counter top like quartz if you use in counter top you can same also put in backsplash as currently it's in trend -take white color with some black/grey lines marble or quartz -or you can go with white designer lines with grooving Sharing some reference pictures
    ...See More

is this a good choice or not

Q

Comments (11)
    Chayya, These are not suitable as kitchen dado tiles. If you have budget and can manage would suggest to get these changed. Feel free to get in touch on a call for further queries on these. Thanks, Nitin Cornerstone Designs Bangalore
    ...See More
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    I have typed my experience TWICE now and lost it all when trying to attach photos. I'll try attaching FIRST then see if I can follow up. Keep in mind that project was finidhing up but not cleaned or accessorized.
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 years ago
    I have used both for similar projects. I used glossy beveled subway tiles for one and in another I alternated with glossy and matte flat tiles. There is no rule. But the matte tile will feel more muted. The gloss tile is more reminiscent of an older bathroom
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    Ok...I wanted classic, versatile and knew before I even got started that I'm never going to want to do again. I used a 4x8 field tile in a matte finish with a wavy texture along with antique ivory grout. Additionally, I "splurged" and used accent trim pieces. I took the cornice pieces to the ceiling in the tub enclosure then dropped it down to about 48" from floor and it makes a lovely library trim. I also used a bit of pencil trim of the same color just for a break in the tile only in the tub enclosure. I adore the skirting/baseboard tile. Absolutely the trim pieces are way more expensive but make the room. And I kept telling myself, "do it right NOW". For the floor, I chose a Niles meshbacked marble baskertweave TYPE with a tiny black square stone center. It has a bitb of beige along with blue gray and white. It does not show every speck of dirt either. It has natural busy look but still ultra classic. All was treated with a 15 year sealant (we'll see, right). These tiles were all purchased from the Tile Shop. It us the Imperial Blanco line. I do like the look. It's fresh, clean, simple and just unique enough while remaing neutral. Hope this gives you an idea. Look on the Tile Shop website. They have an inspiration gallery. Look at bathrooms. About 1/2 down on the left is another showing of it. They combined it with green glass. Best of luck!!! I don't envy the mess coming your way!
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    Yes, I'd say the matte finish is "softer" looking and "muted" as described by ASV. You will make the right choice for you. I don't think either would be a mistake so you're "all good" : )
  • sopatsios
    10 years ago
    Bsellers1394 I would like to ask you specifics on the the chair rail, trim pieces, and baseboard you used for the bathroom besides the 4x8 wavy tile.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    Oh, ok, Great. ..hope I can help. What would you like to know?
  • sopatsios
    10 years ago
    Is every piece the same white color in matte? Do they only carry one type of chair rail in the same color as the wavy tile? So will I find all pieces at The Tile Shop at the same location as wavy tile?
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    Yes, everything came from the Tile Shop. They shipped via freight since there's not one yet where I live. Freight charge was $75 FYI. delivered to my garage. If I understand your questions correctly, all the tiles I used are matte finish. They are wavy, not beveled edge. This tile group comes with co ordination pieces. I used the Cornice (library rail), a pencil piece and the skirting baseboard. I used the field pieces and the edge pieces with the rounded edge. They are a creamy white, an off white not a stark true white white. I will say that they get "marked" where the shower hose hits the tile. Its marked a charcoal color from the nickel hose. I am afraid that is going to be a real scrubbing site when cleaning. I'm sure the more glazed shiney tiles would not have this problem. On the other hand, the matte doesn't show every water mark which is great. I do not like the soap dish, corner shelves etc that were chosen for me by the associate although she said they were the best match. They have the matte finish but are much whiter. Luckily my tub is white and it all blends well with the shades in the marble I used for the floor. I also got my grout through the Tile Shop along with sealer and a grout "expander" that is supposed to make the grout more flexible. Its my understanding that this was a difficult tile job because of all the "cuts" it required in my bathroom. A mistake I made was that the cornice/ledge goes inside the window area. Seemed like the thing to do until I realized the window treatment shade doesnt function correctly because the ledge coming in from both sides takes up space and obstructs letting the shade down straight. The shade rests over the ledge when its let down. Duh! I was not thinking, clearly. I SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN SAMPLE PIECES although I am still happy with my new bathroom . The Tile Shop does have a good return policy unlike many places. If you have any other questions or want close up photos or my flooring, please let me know. These tiles are not made in US as I was told. They are made in China. I did receive 40% off! They will discount.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    PS the baseboard skirting is probably my favorite piece. It really makes a complete beautifully finished look.
  • sopatsios
    10 years ago
    Thank you for taking the time and posting this information. I think I am going to go with this tile because of the wavy texture and color. I am going to do the chair rail in the same finish but have not decided whether I am going to do a border. I am definitely doing the baseboard skirting. I agree it does look a clean look.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    I was AMAZED at how much bigger my bathroom looked. What do you mean by you're not sure if you are going to do a border? Do you need any close up pictures? How are you doing the floor? I think the grout was "antique white". I do encourage you to get a sample first. It's to my very very layman's opinion, not the highest quality tile so I do want you to be happy with it.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    I also got the best exhaust fan that I am extremely happy with. It's a Panasonic. Now they make a GREAT fan. Extremely quiet. Bought off Amazon.
  • sopatsios
    10 years ago
    I do have a sample of the tile. Why don't you think its a quality tile? After you installed it, did it not look like a quality tile. This is for the master bedroom. The only thing I like about this tile is the wavy texture and its maintenance free (I think). Do you wish you had selected another subway tile in the matte finish? The other tile I was looking at is a matte beveled subway tile by Daltile.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    It just seems a bit thin to me but please understand, I say this without a lot of experience or comparison. No, it turns out beautifully except the scuff mark from the shower hose bothers me. I have procrastinated really getting a magic eraser or something to it. I think that will probably occur with any matte finish though. It looks like a little black shoe mark where the hose has hit it repeatedly. I have a bright LED light in there so it shows everything but I do love it nice and bright. That being said, I still don't see water marks or spots so that is excellent. As you can see from my photos, I had it laid in a brake brick fashion, not a stacking of one over the other. It sort of looks like painted bricks. I went about 50" from the floor up so that it is about the middle of my upper arm. No, in answer to your question, I don't really wish I had chosen another subway tile. I'm happy enough with it. I had so much excess field tile that the guy tiling the bath took it and tiled his new kitchen in it. I imagine he sees a bit of tile and he liked mine. I guess that says something for it. As I said, the Tile Shop has a good return policy, unlike most places. There is no restocking fee for the first year for instance. I just didn't want to send it back or drive 4 hours. I saved some back in case i need to replace a broken tile but I had plenty. I ended up ordering more of every other piece however, like the trim. Customer service was very good about running it down and getting that second shipment to me quickly. Do you have a piece of the Daltile to compare it to? BTW, I had them install the soap dish at the front of the tub on the faucet end. That gives you a place to put your foot for scrubbing or shaving and the wider side wall is then not broken up with this soap dish sitting there in the middle. Those accessory pieces are not creamy white, mind you, they are more gray white by comparison and they are large scale. It just so happened to turn out ok because of the white tub and the floor tiles have both a tan, a blue gray and white in them. You say you only like it because it's wavy and maintenance free. You don't sound thrilled!!! LOL! I first saw a photo of wavy tile used in an Italian Restaurant in NY. I tried repeatedly to contact them but could not get in touch. It seems it had a bit more subtle shine to it. Lord know what that probably cost. I think you will be pleased with this. Don't forget to get a really nice discount ; ) If I can take close ups for you or anything, let me know. And why don't you post some photos too ? Fun to share.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Oh, and I'm not sure I understand...you are planning to only come up the wall 36"? I really don't think that's going to look right at all or are you saying three feet from the ceiling? I took the shower tile to the ceiling incidentally and used the pencil pieces in there for a subtle accent piece. The paint color I used is GORGEOUS with this tile. The photos do not do it justice. It is Behr from Home Depot and it is called "DOWNPOUR" like gray, purple and navy in the same paint.