dlander63

Final layout version of kitchen remodel???

dlander63
7 years ago

After looking at a million pictures, getting some input, and considering all (I think) the possible layout options, we have what we think is our final layout version for our kitchen remodel. Below is our current layout and what we're thinking. With that said, I still have some concerns:

• The new version eliminates the current family room, incorporating it as our new dining area. We've actually moved the table and chairs into that area now to "mock it up" and try it out for a few days...it's been hard on our white carpet to have toddlers eating in there! So the space works much better and isn't so tight, but we miss having the table in front of the big sliding glass door...lots of light, nice view, and now the table and chairs block/makes less usable the nice new fireplace and built in cabinets I installed last year.
  • I don't love the range or drop in stove top (whatever we decide) in the island but I don't see another spot for it.
  • We don't really need a peninsula and an island, and I would prefer to just have an island with bar seating, but we would loose too much cabinet space without the peninsula. We moved the peninsula to the other side of the kitchen so the bar seating could be next to the sliding glass patio door.
  • The area between the peninsula bar seating and wall, in front of the sliding glass patio door, (6-7') seems wasted, even if we put some cabinets on that wall. Too wide to be empty and not wide enough to really do furniture or much with.
  • I really like the feel of an L kitchen with island, but with the kitchen in the middle of the back wall of our house, with a 6' sliding glass door on one side of the current kitchen, and an office room with 6' barn doors on the other side, I don't see another configuration that would work. We like an open feel, but also aren't a fan of having guests be able to see our dirty dishes from the living room. So that's how we got where we're at.

Any input on our new layout? We start in soon and want to get it right!

Current layout

New layout

Comments (26)