gargi_nanjanath

Jaipur Blue Pottery Tiles in the Kitchen

Gargi Nanjanath
5 years ago

Hello!

I am keen on using Jaipur Blue Pottery Tiles in the kitchen of my flat. I want to use bright colours such as the ones attached, but I fear that using only these will make the kitchen go over the top on pattern and look like a jumbled mess. These tiles are 6" x 6". What colour, size and dimension of complementary tiles would you suggest I use to offset these?

Thanks in advance!
Gargi

Comments (31)

• PRO
    Wing Feather Impressions
    5 years ago
    sir

you have to match it up with other door s, laminate,. bright color is ok
  • Gargi Nanjanath
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @Cornerstone Designs - great suggestions, thank you!
  • PRO
    GJ Studio
    5 years ago

Cool Blue and Sunshine · More Info

Jaipur blue and summery yellow work brilliantly together. I used precisely those blue Jaipur tiles but so as not tooverdo it, I used them as accents with a base of white, and added splashes of blue and yellow in the cabinetry. Then, just for fun, I painted one wall entirely yellow

• PRO
    Aurum Ideas+Spaces
    5 years ago

Hello there,

Jaipur blue pottery would look good on any surface provided the decor must be of great contrast.

You could use them to highlight walls and floors too. Warm tones of wood, neutral solids, textured tiles all would go well. If you are interested, you must install one!

Regards,

Aurum Ideas and Spaces

Bhubaneswar

• Anas Badshaha
    5 years ago
    please advice us about kitchen tiles on walls .....
  • PRO
    Aurum Ideas+Spaces
    5 years ago

Hello there @ Anas Badshaha,

This post is irrelevant to the query above.

Please post the query in the forum with detailed layouts and images.

Regards,

Aurum Ideas and Spaces

Bhubaneswar

• Gargi Nanjanath
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Aurum Ideas+Spaces - thank you for the great suggestions! I am looking to maximize the light in the kitchen, so I want to go for white tiles interspersed with the blue pottery tiles, with a big splash of blue pottery tiles under the chimney as suggested by the very helpful Cornerstone Design Studio! I want to have 3-layer shallow open pinewood shelving (I feel like depth is useless at that height; you end up groping around for things you can't see), and pale blue cabinetry, both under the counter as well as above the open shelving.
    I have attached a very poorly taken picture of the kitchen as it stands today - do you think these ideas will work well?

• PRO
    Aurum Ideas+Spaces
    5 years ago

Hello there,

You're good to go with the plan as the existing wall tiles and whites would play a vital role in contrasts and shading.

Since you have opted for pinewood shelves, blue would go incredibly well with it. However, a depth of 4-5" is suggested for safety of glass jars and spice cans.

As for the backsplash, deeper hues are suggested. You could also add a pinch of blue to the floor as a highlight/ carpet.

Overall, the plan will work flawlessly. Just be sure to choose the right shades of blue.

Regards,

Aurum Ideas and Spaces

Bhubaneswar

• Gargi Nanjanath
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @Aurum Ideas+Spaces Thank you so much!
  • PRO
    GJ Studio
    5 years ago

Here are some lovely ways to use blue tiles in both dado and floor. It will work with white cabinets or pine

• PRO
    Cornerstone Design Studio India
    5 years ago

Gargi,

There is one issue with open shelving in this Kitchen. Your Chimney duct ( Which is going to be a long one here) cannot be hidden using open shelves. Hope you have a given that a thought.

Thanks

Amit

Cornerstone Design Studios, Bangalore.

• Gargi Nanjanath
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hey Amit,

Would it be possible to have it directed through the closed loft cabinets?

Thanks,
    Gargi
  • PRO
    GJ Studio
    5 years ago

you can of course guide the chimney duct through closed loft cabinets. In cases where there are no lofts, you can make a plywood boxing to cover the duct and paint it as shown in the second picture. It looks quite ok since your eye doesn't notice that so much. But when the boxing runs over closed upper cabinets, you won't notice it at all. I've shown all three possibilities here

Kitchens · More Info

The Basrurs · More Info

Manasa and Arvindh · More Info

• Gargi Nanjanath
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Brilliant :)!
  • PRO
    Cornerstone Design Studio India
    5 years ago

Yes, as GJ advised it is easier with cabinets. Even open shelves looks good but you may have to be creative about chimney ducting.

A Bernal Heights 2 Residence · More Info

The Chic Farmhouse · More Info

Thanks

Amit

Cornerstone Design Studios, Bangalore.

• Gargi Nanjanath
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ooohhh, these are gorgeous!
  • PRO
    Aurum Ideas+Spaces
    5 years ago

Hello there,

If you do opt for open shelving, here's a tweak :

Semicircular sawn pine wood planks placed in 3-4 layers with a semicircular backing would serve as a heat insulator and a storage rack as well.

It would also merge with your decor. Else try concealing with cabinets.

Also, you need to select a slim model with powerful suction to be able to achieve the overall setup.

Regards,

Aurum Ideas and Spaces
    Bhubaneswar

• Gargi Nanjanath
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here is a badly drawn rough version of what I'm imagining. I'm hoping the tiles will look much brighter in real life! But I'd like the blue loft cabinets to hide the chimney duct if possible. And of course, I'd like more open shelves - 3 rows, if I can fit them in

• saranjit singh
    5 years ago

If you are keen in using these Jaipur blue pottery tiles then you have to change the entire home setup by using this blue color.eg tea cups Crockery similiar color,Bedsheets similiar entire walls painting in the same color every thing from A to Z then see how your home look.You might not have ever thought of it.

• Gargi Nanjanath
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @Saranjit Singh - I wouldn't necessarily say the whole home, but I do plan to use blue pottery jars and things for my spices and other items. I'd like to have two base colours for the house - red, and blue. I'll play around with them, certain rooms will have a blue theme and others red, and I'll switch them up every now and then :)
  • Rock Doc
    5 years ago
    I love your blue pottery tiles. where did u get them and how much did they cost. the hand made ones are too expensive I felt and take too long to be ready!
  • Gargi Nanjanath
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @Rock Doc: Are you addressing this to me? I haven't actually bought these tiles yet - when I do, I will definitely be going for the handmade ones. They're a work of art and irreplaceable in my opinion.
    However, there are also screen-printed tiles available in the market in more or less the same patterns; the workmanship is of course different, but you get them cheaper, and they're also more easily available. You could give that a shot. I'd recommend Aakaar Flooring Solutions - they're here on Houzz and are able to provide both the above-mentioned types.
  • Imrakhan Pathan
    4 years ago

hello

• Imrakhan Pathan
    4 years ago

pop wala

• Imrakhan Pathan
    4 years ago

coll mae7016446902. popwala

• Gargi Nanjanath
    Original Author
    4 years ago

For those of you that are interested, this is the final product! Thank you for all your tips and advice :).

• PRO
    DEVI INFRACON
    4 years ago

Good job

• PRO
    GJ Studio
    4 years ago

good job Gargi

• Gargi Nanjanath
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Geeta :)!

• U R
    4 years ago

@Gargi Nanjanath Lovely kitchen! Can I get in touch with you please, about some reliable sources? I've had trouble sourcing materials as per my design needs so far. Thanks.