bhuvnesh_sainani

Need advice on kitchen design

Bhuvnesh Sainani
5 years ago
what would be the suitable design for attached layout of kitchen.
Also will it be cheaper if I get the materials by my own and give contract for fitting only to carpenter.
I have created a design by my own, any suggestions on it.

Comments (19)

• aashi gupta
    5 years ago
    Srry.. But cn I ask u what app u use to design these pictures
  • PRO
    Atom Interiors . Smart Interiors.
    5 years ago

Hi Bhuvanesh,

The perks of having the works completed by an interior designer company will be the warranty, after sales service etc They are more likely to be careful in providing a finished product with less faults + they will know much better about materials and their features etc. Nothing against hiring a carpenter and doing it on your own but it is recommended you proceed only if you know the carpenter too well, you trust him, he helps you out in case of any faults without leaving it like that saying nothing can be done more and definitely someone with a sense of space and a good knowledge of materials.

We had a client come in recently who did something similar and it ended up being a mess. This resulted in extra costs because she now had to redo much of the work. We have had multiple cases, including this one, where the carpenter suggested materials and they later were found to be weak because of the design (the structure needed something more versatile) or a case where the space lacked ergonomic measurement !! this is a very frequent situation. The owner and carpenter resort to materials easy on the eyes plus easy to work on, without considering how it will affect the space. We have seen several cases where the result was reduced spaces, or bulges here and there that demanded the homeowner to be extra alert while moving in the kitchen. We even had a forum in houzz where the owner was telling how he got a carpenter to create a big library for his huge collection of books. They decided on a material, I think was suggested by the carpenter, and later found that the material held onto moisture and damaged his books.

So just be wary of these things.

atom INTERIORS, Banagalore

• Bhuvnesh Sainani
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks Atom interiors, I have a little budget for kitchen so just wanted to save some money with better quality, what do u suggest about that
  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hi Bhuvanesh,

Well the way I see it, you have two choices ok...

1. I cant help but offer that you reach out to us - if you are from Bangalore, Chennai or Hyderabad area we will be able to service you. Check with the team on the quote, see if they can do it for you within your budget.

2. IF WE ARE NOT ABLE TO HELP YOU (& super sorry if that happens! ) I'd say DEFINITELY get an interior designer involved.. not a contractor, not an interior decorator! an interior designer - an architect will surely be able to help you and if not an architect any freelance designer with a certificate in interior design course will be the best. If this is a renovation project its best you involve an architect. Architects would know the science. They will be able to give you the best design with effective space planning, lighting, advise the best materials etc. Then get the carpenter to execute. It is highly recommended you find an interior designer - find one that fits to your budget. Since these are matters of a home, something that should last forvever, you shouldn't have to spend more money later to correct the faults, right ? Do try to get an affordable designer within budget.

Then the only other option is asking around in houzz - but especially since this isn't about just decoration, its better you resort to a local designer.

Bhuvanesh, you can visit our profile and leave you contact details with you there on filling up the form. Our team will contact you in a day or two and let's see if atom can do the work for you. I will still say do that first! We offer warranty, after sales services, and completely hassle free work - the perks of hiring a pro! all you have to do is make the choices. Sincerely, check to see if a pro can work with your budget! Bhuvanesh, that should be worth it ! :) Then if it still doesn't fit your budget, stick to the recommendation I made - NOW I SAY THAT SHOULD BE PLAN B BECAUSE it won't come with the perks of hiring a pro :)

Hope you got it ? Looking forward to hearing from you ! :)

atom INTERIORS, Bangalore.

• PRO
    5 years ago

Hi Bhuvanesh,

Well you see, I have two options for you:

1. I can't help but offer you to contact us for the work - see if our team can quote a price that will fit your budget, ok ? We offer service in Bangalore, Chennai and Hyderabad.

2. IF OUR QUOTE DOESNT FIT YOUR BUDGET (and super sorry if that happens!) get an interior designer to look into this before handing over the work to the carpenter. NOT AN INTERIOR DECORATOR , NOT A CONTRACTOR! an architect or someone qualified in interior designing! It is highly recommended you do that. They will know the science; they will have better idea about the space planning, materials, lighting etc. there will be less faults coming out if you do this. Then use the carpenter for execution.

If otherwise your only other option is askign around in houzz ) or other forums bUT !! that is very risky.. because this is not just about decoration. Highly recommended that you find a freelance designer within your budget!

NOW I PUT 'FINDING A FREELANCE DESIGNER' PLAN B AND CHOOSING US PLAN A BECAUSE , there are lots of perks to having it done by a pro like us. (speaking very sincerely and not trying to market us) Pros like us will offer warranty, after sales service, shorter delivery period with no silly excuses and the whole process will be hassle free- you just have to tell your preferences. It is the safest way. If you work is renovation, its best to go for qualified architect than someone with just a course certificate.. These kind of works in home, I understand the budget issue, but keep in mind that its better to not have to redesign or spend extra money again in 3 months over this work because people cant move around in the kitchen easily, its unsafe to make quick movements, the material used gets damaged quickly, the mood of the kitchen is too dull etc.

Just contact us first! Leave your details with us, we will get back to you super soon, see if we can help you ! That is safest option! if it doesn't work out:

Try to see if you can get a PRO to work for you on your budget, if not, proceed with assistance from a qualified architect or interior designer. Did these thoughts help ?

atom INTERIORS, Bangalore

• goodashu
    5 years ago
    I think seeking professional advice is must. Small details get missed in self designing unless you have a lot of exposure to design and engineering. Simple things like having natural light, getting the workflow right and storage appropriate to your needs need a lot of thought. Please don’t go all modular, it is best to blend traditional design with modern. Think of a budget and seek out a good interior firm.
  • User
    5 years ago

Congratulations that you tried doing this. No doubt that professional advice will be great; but that does not mean you should not try.

I might not have understood the design fully, but trying to understand...

I am unable to comment professionally, but consider following things:

1. The whole thing looks closed and packed. Keep some decor space to give some varity. Plan open shelves in which you can place beautiful glass jars, crockery, old style brass antiques etc.
    2. Think of natural light...try getting max, remove anything that becomes obstacle.
    3. Check if light is enough at workspace(hob, cookstove)
    4. Try mix and match of colours....its in trend now
    5. Think of more appliances you can purchase in coming 5 years...microwave, blender, food processer, dishwasher etc..give space to those.
    6. Above knee and 1 ft above head is thearea where you should keep maximum things that you need daily. Plan according to the things(Classify it before that)
    7. If possible, go step by step..work upon necessity things first, and build other items every year. This will allow you to learn from actual life requirements..also will be easy on budget.

I think thats quite raw approach, but has fun in making on your own!

• Bhuvnesh Sainani
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    thanks for the details, yes its raw as i dint had exact dimensions in mm, have created it with what was available on builder brochure.

i have taken care the natural light.

Its not like I haven't contacted any professional, I have done the same and will get the final design from him only.

the other thing I am looking is, if I will get the meterial Nd get it fitted from the carpenter instead of going with designer/showroom, how much cost it could save. or is it a good idea.
  • User
    5 years ago

Going with professional has its own advantages. Afterall he is pro, so he has studied more and has more experience.

However is this person from the kitchen shoppee, which is giving you quotation of kitchen installation? In such cases, I have experienced that they just make boxy kitchens where they add lotsa fittings, that increases your budget. Open shelves does not need such fittings, so such are omitted...Normal door wali cabinets are less and number of drawers increased.

Going on own is not a bad idea, provided you need to study it well. Note down the requirements, classify work areas and so on...

In this approach , you have to go bit slower and carefully. Allow some flexibility in design, so that in future , you can alter as per the need. Sometimes we come to know the problems after few months/ years and we cant change it later.

Ultimately compare between [your time+ efforts+ study+ error chances] Vs Hiring professional and go ahead accordingly.

• Bhuvnesh Sainani
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    i will update a design which i have got from a pro. do let me know if that is fine from your prospective
  • PRO
    Entabulature Pvt. Ltd.
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hello,

We at Entabulature do all construction,architectural designing and planning and interior decor activities.We even do elevations and renovate and remodel the existing houses.You can contact and reach us at the below given details.You may follow us at our instagram page and facebook pages as well.

Feel free to reach me at my number or watsapp me.

With Regards,

Sr.Project Manager

• Bhuvnesh Sainani
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    this is what i have finalized, any comments on attached one
  • goodashu
    5 years ago
    The design is ok. On first look, the space around sink is a bit less, you may have trouble keeping dishes after washing. But that could be due to layout. It is a small kitchen. I prefer ceiling height cabinets to avoid dust gathering dead space. Even space above the fridge may have cabinet to store rarely used pieces of crockery. Chimney with its exhaust pipe is a must, not an afterthought. Consider under-cabinet light for workspace lighting; essential in my opinion. I also recommend lighter color of cabinets for this space. Too dark is too dingy, looks cheap and requires more maintenance. But that’s just my opinion. Have fun!
  • Bhuvnesh Sainani
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    thanks for suggestions, you have have given genuine advice :)
  • PRO
    Rupal shah
    5 years ago

Hello Bhuvesh, your sink and burner are very close to each other which might create problems at the time of using both the workspace together. You can opt for the full height O.H. storage for the lesser used things. This way optimum utilisation of the space will be possible.

For any other query, you can feel free to consult me.

• PRO
    rahmankhan_designs
    5 years ago
    I have Carpenter
    Call 7507590999
  • PRO
  • PRO
    WDF space design, Interior Design Business
    4 years ago

yes u can save lot of ur hard earn money, but make sure ur sketches gets corrected by designer who is technically sound well practical & get a good skill carpenter