newhomegal

What kind of budget for Utility Room Makeover?

newhomegal
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

My laundry/utility/mud room is at the garage entrance to our home. It serves as a dumping ground for our jackets, backpacks, rain gear, and shoes. It also serves as cleaning supply storage and laundry center. I would like to keep the existing cabinets, but add to them. I would like drawers for the laundry baskets, a closed cabinet for the vacuum. I would like the cabinets to include a sweater drying rack and a pull out ironing board. I would like to change the flooring to the wood style tile. I would like to add bead board above the shoe cubbies with a long rod to hang coats, etc. With cabinets above for the out of season items. The hooks we currently use just end up looking cluttered and we currently do not have a coat closet. I might consider adding a built in for the cleaning supplies and vacuum out in the hall area. Also looking at painting the ceiling to draw the eye up. My home décor is transitional with a touch of French country/coastal. The room is 7'3" long by 7'9" wide with a 10ft ceiling.

Questions:

1. Should I stack the washer and dryer to give more lower cabinet space?

2. Should I keep the washer and dryer unstacked but take then off the pedestals and add a granite or quartz folding counter?

3. What is your opinion on the open rod for coats vs. the current hook situation?

4. What kind of budget should I set since I am using some of the existing cabinetry?

5. When the builder built this home all the interior doors at 8ft. The exterior to the garage is 6ft. Should I change that too or is it ok design wise?

6. Any other items I should consider/include in this project?

Comments (19)