edubya

POLL: How do you clean hardwood floors?

Emily H
7 years ago

Angelwylde House · More Info

Everyone has their own method, but which one is the right one? Is there a right one?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

Just sweeping
Damp mop with water
Specialty cleaner
Other - Tell us!

Comments (160)

• PRO
    Kitchen & Bath Creations (KBC)
    7 years ago

That's what we say (if it's real Brazilian cherry it's lived outside and gotten wet!). We had them installed in 2004 and haven't had a problem. I'm quite sure Windex has water in it, but we don't saturate the floor, just lightly spray like when you're dusting furniture. We've had housekeepers come in and mop or use whatever they use, and it never looks as good, always has a film. So we do them ourselves.

• User
    7 years ago

I have a 4 step process since I have a long-haired cat and large dog. Good thing my house is small!

1. Sweep

2. Swiffer

3. Vacuum

4. Steam mop (if you move quickly the water evaporates within about 30 seconds.)

• Related Discussions

Cleaning Italian marble flooring

Q

Comments (5)
    Just as ASVInteriors said, different kinds of stains require certain techniques and substances to clean them. Although you can find a variety of recipes on the web for cleaning marble, it helps to have a pretty good idea of how your particular stone will respond and what kind of stain you have. We have created resources for helping customers understand what is involved in cleaning specific marbles on our site. Your question is for "Italian Marble" and since Carrara is one of the most common, this link might be helpful to others looking for the same information: https://www.lustroitaliano.com/about-carrara-marble-s/1992.htm#cleaning-carrara-marble
    ...See More

How to use a wooden wall in the kitchen?

Q

Comments (2)
    You do not mention whether you wooden wall will be painted or stained wood. Either way, there paint products you can use to properly seal and protect the wood either way. You should visit your local paint store and tell them what you are trying to do and see what products they recommend.
    ...See More

Ideas on what to do to this narrow walkway in my house

Q

Comments (22)
    Hi pankaj. Some lovely ideas above. Is that a door at the end of the passage? It strikes me, especially if you want to make the passage all white, that you might be able to give that door a special treatment to bring some drama to the end of the passage. That draws the attention to the door and away from the passage itself. You could just paint it a vivid colour. I think we tend to let our interior doors remain very plain and boring, when there is no good reason for that to be a rule. The one below would need some sort of backing for privacy, I guess, but I think to put metalwork on a door is a great idea that you could adapt in various ways. (Be aware of the dusting, though! Outside the rain will wash things clean, but not inside.) Also have a look at http://www.lushome.com/11-door-decorating-ideas-create-modern-interior-doors/58940 for some creative paint ideas -- I can't get those pictures to copy. I like the first one on that site. It's simple and geometric, and could very easily be adapted without hurting the budget.
    ...See More

Kitchen remodel

Q

Comments (2)
    Hey Katy! How about using large white tiles with or without spacers? You can use transition strips in brass between the hardwood and the tile and tie in the brass finish to the sink faucet and lights. ( That is if you want to change the lights! I think you should) and instead of using warm lights, go for natural white. in the 4000 - 4500 Kelvin range. and perhaps a fixture that gives more light to your room! If you would like, I can take this on as a small room redesign project! I hope this helps, and I look forward to hearing from you! Best Miloni The Yellow Cushion
    ...See More
  • sjsocon
    7 years ago

Candace,

Thanks, 10 layers! Lucky you. Unfinished oak is a nightmare. When I bought the house, I was told how easy it was to take care of them by the previous owners. "Just buy a dust mop" is what they said to me. Years of frustration with trying to keep these floors looking beautiful, I realized they had no children or pets!

I've replaced the kitchen and bath floors with easy-to-care for Forbo Marmoleum but replacing the whole house with new wood floors would be a nightmare.

• amanderveen
    7 years ago

The floor we've been stream mopping is Brazilian cherry. Works great, looks fantastic. And no sticky residue.

• Marjory
    7 years ago

Replying to Anne Aulbert - yes both Bona and Windex do contain water but in my opinion that is the very least of the problems with both of these products, particularly Windex. Windex contains a long list of toxic chemicals including ammonium hydroxide, which is a known respiratory irritant and which can also damage eyesight and skin. It also contains hexoxyethanol which can affect organs. The fragrance can lead to allergies, skin irritation and nervous system problems. Bona claims to be non-toxic but I question anything that contains chemicals. Why do we seriously need to use anything chemical based to "clean" our homes. I just don't get it. Soap, water, vinegar, elbow grease, lemons, baking soda, etc are non toxic and they get the job done. It is so sad that we have been brainwashed to believe that we need nasty chemicals in everything, including our food and the majority of us don't even question it.

• acm
    7 years ago

Method floor cleaner (almond or lemon, yum) when needed -- otherwise, I'm in the sweep and vacuum camp.

• alice68
    7 years ago

sjsocon: Why not find a pro that refinishes wood floors? It should be a fairly straightforward job to sand off a bit of your floor to get to clean wood then finish them with several coats of Urethane finish. Get references, of course, and ask for information about options for refinishing those beautiful floors so that you will enjoy them more. I have known a number of great pros who do great work and have very happy customers with refinished floors that look like new ones. This will be much cheaper than replacing the floors.

• sjsocon
    7 years ago

alice68,

My cat throws up all the time. She's responsible for most of the damage. We had another cat who past away and she had issues as well.

A close friend had her oak floors refinished. They spent a month living at her mother's and moved all the furniture into storage. The refinished floors were beautiful though.

We can't move in with anyone and the packing up my furniture,etc. would be a nightmare. My friend had to clean up sand dust for months after even tho the company vacuumed it. The sand was even upstairs and she didn't have the upstairs done, it was carpeted.

• greta1
    7 years ago

On my hands and knees with a mixture of water and vinegar.

• Jan
    7 years ago

How about baby wipes and my foot! Sad, but true.

• Christie Wright
    7 years ago
    I have the new Dyson V8 cordless. It comes with a head just for hardwood floors. It is all soft and plush. I vacuum with this and then use Bona. I swear by it. If you get a haze or sticky than you are using too much (sticky) or the mop is too wet. I take a 12x12 micro fiber rag and wet than wring out thoroughly. Spray Bona on floor and mop. I have beautiful clean shiny floors all the time.
  • housesitter22
    7 years ago

Dust mop, take used dryer sheets and clean your floors with those they work great!

• Ambra Sanne
    7 years ago

How do you remove paint off hardwood floors?

• farinas4
    7 years ago

sweep regularly and occasionally mop with water mixed with a small amount of vinegar to bring back the shine.

• robinsonjenny
    7 years ago

I have used numerous products over the years on my hardwood floors. In recent years I have been using vinegar and water. The floors are 20 years old and didn't shine much anymore so I tried Liquid Gold. They shine like new now.

• Kim Allman
    7 years ago

Dust mop several times a week. Steam mop with diluted Murphy's Oil sprayed on the pad for "accidents" & spills, and all over about once a month. Our floors are almost 30 years old and except for a little UV fading beneath a picture window they look great.

• Virginia Llorca
    7 years ago
    vinegar windex.
  • Virginia Llorca
    7 years ago
    vinegar odor goes away in about 20 minutes. use washable rags in your swiffer with product of your choice but swiffer wet pads with vinegar in them seem to me to leave no residue.
  • sierra90
    7 years ago
    Mostly just vacuum- about once a month I use Method diluted with water and very lightly spray and wipe immediately. I have dogs coming and going so have to "clean" it occasionally!!
  • wermsrus
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

My vinegar water is so diluted, and the cloth is so wrung out, it's hardly "mopping with vinegar". And done once a year maybe. The type of finish must matter. What are the options? Mine were "old style" finished, an oil-based I guess, not water-based finish. I should go look up what that means. And engineered hardwoods must be different than "real" hardwood, or not?

• lrgmrg18
    7 years ago
    little windex and water - cleans and has no sticky residue or streaks.
  • Martha Parish
    7 years ago

We live in a older farmhouse built in 1925. It has oak flooring on the main level and pine upstairs. Before we moved in, we had the floors stripped of that nasty poly coating so popular in the 1960's, sanded and refinished. We use plain old vinegar and water on the floors per instructions from our refinisher. It does just fine. Love my hardwood floors. Would never go back to carpet.

• janet h.
    7 years ago

Generally, sweeping and dry mopping. I love Seventh Generation Wood Cleaner for spot cleaning (I use it for much more than wood, and love it on my stainless). Occasional damp mopping with diluted Murphy's when I feel the need to clean the entire floor.

• capeanner
    7 years ago

martha parish, if you had the "nasty poly" removed and the floors were refinished what did they put on them other than polyurethane?

I have an old house (late 1800's).Have an assortment of oak, wide pine, fir and in the case of one kitchen and hall (there are 2 apartments) pine subflooring that got sanded and poly'd. I use area rugs and have the tenant do the same. Mainly I vacuum, damp mop once or twice a month depending on the room traffic. Use mostly plain water, but sometimes put in a drop or two of Murphy's. Squeeze the mop as much as I can. If I can see water afterwards I use an old towel to dry it. Once bought Zep spray (contains glycol ethers, not sure what else), but have had the same bottle for years. Have used it to spot clean; same with Spray Murphy's. Have never noticed any damage or film.

Some of the floors have a matte finish (the refinisher's suggestion) and some have shiny. I prefer the shinier and have the idea it's more protection but that might be my imagination.

The subflooring that got sanded and poly were out of necessity and financial constraints. It has worked out fine except they were finished with water based poly (was already living here; could not tolerate the oil odor) and stain easily if water drips on them and isn't immediately wiped up.

Put vinyl wood look in my FL home last winter. Looks great, soft under foot & easy to maintain. ;-) Older I get less of a purist I become.

• Martha Parish
    7 years ago

capeanner the poly from the '60 was a thicker, brittle mess which yellowed something fierce. What was removed had yellowed, cracked and looked horrible. They had put carpet over it at one time too. Our floor guy used a stain and different sealer which holds up well, but isn't as thick. I honestly don't know what he used, but he told us it was a newer, nicer sealer. It won't yellow as the floors age. His work is fabulous on both new floors and restorations. Do our floors look showroom new - no. I didn't expect them to or want them to for that matter. They are 91 years old and have all the character of older floors with a newer, nicer sealer and finish.

• PRO
    Hallmark Floors
    7 years ago

We wrote a blog post about the secret to cleaning hardwood floors. Hope this helps! http://hallmarkfloors.com/secret-to-cleaning-hardwood-floors/ 

• Zackery
    7 years ago
    Norwex 110%!
  • capeanner
    7 years ago

Hallmark, found it impossible to navigate that site! No control over scrolling?

• jkoneal
    7 years ago

My hardwood floor is a dark wood urethane finish hardwood floor. I Swiffer with the dry cloths first, then spray Bruce Hardwood and Laminate Floor Cleaner and wipe with a cloth mop (terry cloth or microfiber). I tried the Bona spray cleaner, but it left a film and wasn't shiny.

• senab
    7 years ago

White oak floors, no stain, clear polyurethane finish. I use pine sol and water and the floors in this house are over 50 years old.

• PRO
    Covering Broadway
    7 years ago

As a flooring retailer, we always recommend following cleaning instructions provided by the HW flooring manufacturer. It all depends on what type of finish your floor has. First & foremost...sweep or vac (without beater bar) FREQUENTLY! Spot clean any spills IMMEDIATELY. We also suggest a microfiber mop with an approved HW floor cleaner....Mannington, Bona, etc. DO NOT EVER use Murphy's Oil Soap, Vinegar or a Steamer. This will void any warranty and eventually damage the finish.

• PRO
    TORLYS Floors
    7 years ago

Great question!

Our recommendation for hardwood or laminate is a non-treated, clean dust mop. Never use oil or wax based cleaners or a wet mop!

More information on caring for your floor this summer? Check our latest blog: http://www.torlys.com/summer-maintenance-for-hardwood-and-laminate/

• rupertthecat
    7 years ago

But if it gets dirty - what then? A dust mop just doesn't seem to do it....

• PRO
    Linda Mayo
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Some have suggested vinegar. There is something you should know about that. Vinegar is an acid and as a cleaning solution can work well for a number of things. However, Oak and Maple contain tannin. When vinegar is applied to raw wood, it reacts with the tannin to produce a chemical reaction that darkens the wood. If there are any scratches in the finish and the vinegar touches any raw wood, it will darken the scratch. If you have a less than optimal finish, especially a water base finish, it can seep through the finish and darken the wood also. I would never suggest putting an acid on a sealer also because it will slightly etch the surface of the sealer--even a good sealer--so that it will lose it's sheen. I use Murphy's Oil Soap (It's formulated for wood.) on my wood floors but do no soak the floor. I wipe it mine with a damp sponge wetted very warm water for quick evaporation.

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    7 years ago

The part about vinegar is bang on. The Murphy's Oil soap is a big no-no for finished hardwood floors. Other than that, eagledzines is bang on about vinegar.

• capeanner
    7 years ago

I could not live in a home where the floors were never washed. Have been "washing" my hardwoods for twenty some odd years with absolutely no negative results. (I do squeeze the mop out as much as possible.) Other than retailers is there anyone that actually never washes the floors in their homes??

• robinsonjenny
    7 years ago

capeanner - what do you wash your floors with?

• capeanner
    7 years ago

Mainly I vacuum, damp mop once or twice a month depending on the room
    traffic. Use mostly plain water, but sometimes put in a drop or two of
    Murphy's. Squeeze the mop as much as I can. If I can see water
    afterwards I use an old towel to dry it. The floors with oil based poly have held up beautifully; water base not as well, but the latter also happen to be soft pine.

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    7 years ago

Murphy's Oil soap can look good while you live with the finish...the problem comes in when you TRY to refinish the floors. The "oil" in Murphy's oil (or ANY oil soap...which includes ECO cleaning products with coconut oil) prevents the NEXT coat of finish from grabbing the wood. You won't find this out until AFTER the new finish has FAILED.

Yah. That's not fun. People really hate it when they pay someone $5/sf to do a full sand and refinish and the expensive finish FAILS inside of 1 year. So they call to complain. The installer comes back and looks closely to see what is happening (the adhesion failure will be a the seams...between the planks). The installer will then ask what you use to clean your floors. The INSTANT you say "Murphy's Oil" they will tip their cap and say, "Sorry. This isn't my fault. I can try it again, but there is no way I can tell if this will work".

You will be ASTOUNDED by the "...it isn't my fault" part of the discussion. You will angrier than a wet hen! You will be enraged by the answer. But the answer will be valid and you will have no recompense.

You will hmm and hahhh for a few more months. You will gather your pennies together to hire a NEW person...and they will do the same thing. And the new finish has a strong chance of failing just like the last one. You will battle this issue until you rip out the hardwoods that were supposed to last 80 years. And you will curse the hardwoods. You will vow never to have them again.

Sadly, it was the Murphy's Oil soap (or any oil based soap) that has done this to the hardwoods....it isn't the fault of the hardwoods. Sure it looks good while you live with the first finish....it is the NEXT layer of finish that will fail.

Please stop using Murphy's Oil soap (and those eco-cleaners...they use partially modified coconut oil = oil soap = same problem as Murphy's).

• Net Moyers
    7 years ago
    Steam cleaner. Spotless and sanitized
  • Monica Gail
    7 years ago
    C.
  • tgb1
    7 years ago

Cancork - this question is for you if you would be so kind. My house was built in the late 1920's, and I have red oak floors that have probably been refinished a few times. We're the 13th owners of the house, and we've lived here almost 30 years w/o refinishing. As u can imagine, floors are a bit of a mess now and I'm looking at refinishing soon. Have cleaned with small amounts of water and the dreaded Murphy's. In your opinion, will finishing be a viable option(because of age and Murphy's), or do u think replacement will be suggested?

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    7 years ago

@tgb1...have a hardwood flooring professional measure the thickness of the floors before deciding what to do. If they have enough meat on them (they have enough wood above the tongue...should be 3mm or MORE) to refinish then you TELL the flooring professional about the Murphy's Oil....It may or may not be possible to get a new finish on these. The only thing they can do is try a test patch and leave it alone for a few weeks (pick a bedroom that no one uses). If it works, keep going. If it doesn't (signs of pealing, bubbling, white lines between planks, etc) then stop and reconsider. To get a new finish on a floor that has had Murphy's Oil soap used, it normally takes a few more passes with the sanding machine (to get further away from the contaminant called "oil soap"). That means this old floor would need 4mm - 5mm left to really be sure that a new finish can be put down.

The floor is ALMOST 100 years old. It is past the 80 year life span of most of these hardwood floors. It made it to 100 years because it ready for removal (that last refinish was probably the last kick at the can for this floor).

Be prepared to remove this floor. It is done. It has lived and been abused for longer than and entire human generation. It has done what it was put there to do....60-80 years of being a floor.

You might want to ask about hard wax oil finishes. They MIGHT be able to be put down over Murphy's...but I don't know if it makes a difference.

• tgb1
    7 years ago

Thanks Cancork - I always appreciate your advice : ))

• robinsonjenny
    7 years ago

What about the Swiffer solution for hardwood floors? Does anyone recommend or not recommend?

• rupertthecat
    7 years ago

Wow. Who knew Murphy's was so bad for wood floors. No wonder my floors are a mess.

• vvhewitt
    6 years ago

Wow!!!

• annamorland
    6 years ago

I use Bona hardwood floor cleaner and Bona hardwood floor wax. Love it. However, soda was used for a sheep rug, which has spread over the floor. I am having difficulty cleaning it off. I am using Bona cleaner with a rough sponge. It is looking better but I will have to do the whole floor. Keep soda away from hardwood floor is my advice. Bummer!

• robinsonjenny
    6 years ago

Has anyone used Liquid Gold for putting a shine on the hardwood?

• PRO
    Hallmark Floors
    6 years ago

Anna, I am so sorry to hear that someone spilled soda on your floors. Coke or Pepsi have a lot of acid in them and will damage almost anything natural. Their are products and will restore your finish. Hallmark Floors' has them listed on the website.

Robin, don't use products that are not created for floors. Not all wood finishes or wood floors are created equal. You will damage your floors if you use a furniture polish on your floors.