oliverac21

What do I do with this awkward space?

Olivera
11 years ago
It's between my living and dining room. Right now I have my son's guitar parked there. Do I leave it and hang some artwork above? Do I remove the guitar and leave empty? Put something else?? Help!

Comments (70)

• janishill
    11 years ago
    Drat! Forgot to attach images...
  • nononanna
    11 years ago
    Not too complicated, though. something you can either leave on the table when using it for meals, or that is easily moved off of the table just during mealtime.
  • Olivera
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @everyone: here are the latest updated. Would love to know thoughts!
  • cypress
    11 years ago
    Love the improvements, you are on your way!
  • Olivera
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @cypress: thanks! I did 3 of the 4 things you suggested :) I'm hesitating with drapes because I had drapes there before and I love the clean look minus the drapes and the way the window frame matches the shape of the lamp shades on the credenza. What do you think of the paintings in the dining room? I love the middle one but the wall looks a little bare without the two beside it.
  • cypress
    11 years ago
    Hi oliverac21, Happy some of my suggestions worked. If you like the window with a clean uncluttered look, and have tried drapes before, leave it as is. From your photo of the dining room, I only see 1 small painting. Maybe you could take another.
  • Olivera
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @cypress:
  • cypress
    11 years ago
    The photos you posted show the big painting in the middle of the 2 smaller ones, is that how you have it now? You might want to hang the smaller ones closer to the big one. There seems to be a lot of space between them. I also think the large would look good by itself.
  • PRO
    Paolo Monjes of J. Hetinger Interiors
    11 years ago
    put a shallow depth desk behind the sofa w/ a cube ottoman as a seat. the desk top will give a great opportunity to put a fabulous lamp and accessories. claim that space and don't let it go dead.
  • centaurita
    11 years ago
    Wow - you have already made it so much more attractive! Nice :)
    As Cypress suggested, the large peice looks good alone. I would take it over to right a bit centering it behind the two chairs (square with the table) and move the smaller ones to beside the window on either side. I might also put a couple of small 3D shelves in their place and set something on them that relates to the colors in the painting.
  • Olivera
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @janishill: what do you think if the lamps?
  • PRO
    Bargain Backer, LLC.
    11 years ago
    Some art work would do very nicely. I have found the perfect piece to compliment the musician.
    http://www.bargainbacker.com/Benzara-Designer-Instrument-Wall-dcor-For-The-Stylish-Musician
    Here's a coupon 1savebb13 expires 2/15/13
  • Olivera
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @everyone: what do you think of these drapes? They are charcoal, they are the ones that I had up before and did not like. I actually think they look pretty good now. Should I maybe go with something lighter?
  • Olivera
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Here's a pic!
  • janishill
    11 years ago
    They are great! I would move the rod up so it almost touches the ceiling though. See illustration posted above.
  • Olivera
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @janishill: thanks! You are right, I used the holes that were drilled before and it looks awkward somehow. Do you think it will look good once I adjust the height?
  • janishill
    11 years ago
    Put the rod up higher and spread it out as far as it will go. When you have rehung the drapes spread them open enough to touch the outside of the rod and just kiss the window frame. They are going to look specatular! :-)

You have a bit too many itmes on the buffet. Just 3 centered between the lamps will be plenty.
  • amgraham
    11 years ago
    i dont see it as an awkward space. not every part of the house needs a picture or something on the floor. remove instruments and just leave it clear i say
  • 7lexi7
    11 years ago
    That looks great! The drapes tie it together.
  • nononanna
    11 years ago
    The only reason to leave them where they are is if they're really short - does the buffet hide the bottomof the drapes? If so, you don't need to worry about length.

If you use the instruments all the time, it's nice to have them out, but if they're just decoration, probably not needed.
  • Olivera
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @nononanna: good point. They touch the floor right now and the buffet does not totally hide the bottom if the drapes. So I guess I should leave them as is unless I get longer drapes. My son does play guitar, but Moved it to another area beside my daughter's piano :)
  • cypress
    11 years ago
    Love the drapery panels, adds so much to the space!
  • Olivera
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you!! Anything else I can do to make living or dining room look WOW?
  • janishill
    11 years ago
    Have you lowered the pictures? That is the # 1 decorating mistake people make. :-)

Also you might turn the rug in the living room so it runs cross ways instead of up and down.
  • Olivera
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @janishill, I did lower the one in the living room, does it still look too high? I measured the rug to place it crosswise but it is too short to go underneath the entire length. What to do? Still looking for a centerpiece...would love to change everything but not in the budget :)
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Great drapes! Little by little... You'll get it tied together. The center of artwork that hangs alone should be at 60" above the floor. If with furniture keep it within 4-10" above the piece depending on weight and visual heaviness of the two items (frame and furniture.)
  • Olivera
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @decoenthusiaste: thanks! So I need to lower the art exactly 2". Just measured :)
  • mona21
    11 years ago
    Hi! What is the paint color in your room?
  • Amy Thompson
    11 years ago
    Maybe consider changing dining room with living room.
  • Melanie Hon
    11 years ago
    If the living room rug doesn't fit rotated, then at least push it under the couch even if it hits the back wall so it looks more square with the couch and the rug should be under the couch on each side (doesn't have to be a lot, just not to see any floor between the couch and rug. Right now it's a little like a bowling lane. I also find the cube ottoman where you have it a little odd. I really like the plant and the chair you added. Maybe after you move the couch you can angle the chair so it faces the couch at a 45 degree angle and put the the ottoman to the side. (does it flip to reveal a serving tray?) I also like the new location of the lamp, the paint on the walls, your artwork and your lamps on the credenza. :) The drapes are a nice touch too. You are doing great!!
  • Olivera
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @mona: Hi, the paints I used are Benjamin Moore Spring Dust and Moonshine :)
  • Olivera
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @Melanie: thanks for kudos and suggestions, I will try that. I am honestly thinking to find another rug, just not sure what colour. Maybe something colourful like some other folks suggested. The ottoman doesn't flip, but still can be used to set a drink upon.
  • Olivera
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @janishill and everyone: do you like any of these centrepieces for dining room?
  • Olivera
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @Melanie: I tried moving rug, chair and ottoman. What do you think?
  • Melanie Hon
    11 years ago
    Ooh! I think that looks much better! The rug acts as an anchor now. As for the centrepiece for the dining room, my personal preference are the red flowers as they make me notice the painting more. But any of them are good really. Great job!
  • sayboone
    11 years ago
    Looks great, Oliverac21! I'm so glad you found a way to use the metal lamp; I remember your earlier post. I agree with Melanie that the red flowers are the best centerpiece! Maybe you could get something similar for your coffee table to tie the spaces together.
  • cypress
    11 years ago
    Hi Oliverac21 The rearranged living room grouping looks great! The rug really anchors the furniture in this position. I still think the painting over the sofa needs be lowered about 6", and then I think you will be done!!!
  • Olivera
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @cypress: thanks! I lowered the painting exactly 6" against the will of the rest of my family members lol. I love it!!
  • cypress
    11 years ago
    You made my day! Looks Great!
  • Olivera
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yay!! Mine too!!!
  • Olivera
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you to everyone for all of your suggestions!! I'm really happy with the way everything is looking. A few questions: is it me or does the floor in front of the tv look a little bare? Also,should I change the chandelier? Should I add any more art anywhere? Any other final suggestions? THANK YOU
  • ktiquet
    11 years ago
    The orange vase is great a little small maybe some candles? Great space
  • Melanie Hon
    11 years ago
    I think the floor in front of the TV looks fine. A few simple changes has made quite a transformation! Your home is very welcoming. One final suggestion: is that a clock by the staircase? It looks like it would look good on the wall behind the tv as it is silver like your lamp and tv stand. Just a thought. :)
  • nononanna
    11 years ago
    Your house now looks as good as the pictures in your ideabook! My question is - how do you keep your desk so neat? You've done a great job teaching your son, that's for sure!
  • Olivera
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @MelanieI tried the clock above the tv, it does look nice! I still feel like there is something that would look even better. Just have to find it :)
  • Olivera
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @nonoanna: thank you so much! You have all been really helpful. There is not a lot of space around the desk for making a mess :)
  • Olivera
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I have another beautiful painting and I was looking for a space for it. What about behind the lamp?
  • nononanna
    11 years ago
    I like it. Great colors. It could be a tad higher, but I like it.
  • sayboone
    11 years ago
    Love your desk chair!

I'd either put the new painting over the TV, or in the place by the stairs where the clock was originally. I think it competes with the painting over the couch where you have it now.
  • PRO
    Dura Supreme Cabinetry
    11 years ago
    I would put it behind the TV or above the stairs if you choose to move the clock behind the TV.