lovetodecorate

Are you happy with your Quartz counters?

lovetodecorate
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi..I've been looking at replacing my countertops. I absolutely love marble but after obsessing about it I think I will have to get either Quartz that looks like carrera marble or get a white granite. I'm having trouble finding a white granite that I like. I see beautiful stones here but when I see the stone in person it's either too busy or too dark? l looked at slabs today and saw some Quartz samples. They were very pretty and look surprisingly like real stone. One was Carrara Grigio from MSI..The other color was Cashmere Carrara..I would like to know if your Quartz counters are holding up..If you have a white Quartz..are they yellowing? I read that direct sunlight can make Quartz yellow or change color. What brand did you get? Thanks!

Comments (203)

• cand1781
    7 years ago

Ok. I'm freaking out now. Not only did I postpone my counter install bc I couldn't decide on which Pental quartz, I finally decided and now reading this thread.....install next week! We went with the quartz because we felt it would be less maintenance with two small kids. I cook a lot and am a very messy cook. I tested the sample and there were no stains, but now I'm worried that was a fluke. We went with the Taj Mahal quartz...so light in color with some veining. Now what?!?

• momdia
    7 years ago

I think you might be ok with light color - I have dark and as a cook, it's a complete disaster. Pental knows of this problem for sure. I couldn't be more unhappy with my counter but I do think it's because it's darker.

• Related Discussions

Need help choosing the kitchen cabinet color with counter top !

Q

Comments (3)
    You are going to have to leave your comfort zone on this one. Walnut is "brown", you have "pink" as a counter top. I would suggest going with another version of the colours already in the room. you have gray/beige and white. I would hesitate going white...but it can be done. You can move into the grays and be very happy (it would look very modern) or you can move into a beige that holds a hint of pink in it (not pink...but a blush of warmth). Or you could go really wonky and add in something like a brushed stainless steel look to the cabinets and have it go "space age". There are specs of blue/gray in this counter top. The next think to look at is an "ashwood" or dark gray wood presentation that has some blue in it. It would lighten the space yet still add drama that dark cabinetry offers.
    ...See More

Planning for disability

Q

Comments (228)
    Tsilanko, I would always recommend professional installation where needed. But what I am doing here is suggesting that WHEN you are planning to build or renovate, to consider how your plans will affect you in 20 or 30 years time. Split levels are very hep when you are young. A kitchen 3 steps down at 30 is rarely a problem, but might be a hazard at 60, or, as Marjie1059 suggested, if you break a leg. ... All my parents' homes were terrible for old people. They were forced to move to a bungalow in extreme old sge because the location and design of their home was more suitable for an active young couple with a large family than for an elderly couple with stroke disabilities. I would not want to move again, so my present home has features built in that make ageing in place simpler. Mostly small changes, like grab rails, and lever handles on doors and faucets. A major disability suddenly suffered requires major changes if permanent. I did look at this because it came up in the discussion, but if you look at the heading, Planning for Disability, it means just that. Plan ahead so you don't have to make expensive changes later on. But thank you for your advice, yes, major changes are not in the DIY domain.
    ...See More

Quartz good or bad for kitchen top?

Q

Comments (16)
    If you are looking for fancy kitchen with good looks, go for good quality Quartz like AGL or Kalinga Quartz. It's a good alternate to granite but also is costlier. There is some negative reviews of Quartz/Corian tops due to low quality and unknown brands providing at cheap price. if you have budget constraint, then can opt of Granite.
    ...See More

I’m hoping to find some backsplash ideas for our kitchen.

Q

Comments (5)
    Greetings from Dream Design, As per your inputs we suggest some ideas -Don't go with too dark backsplash as it will make the kitchen dull after some time and kitchen will look smaller -You can go with marble/tile or even the same counter top like quartz if you use in counter top you can same also put in backsplash as currently it's in trend -take white color with some black/grey lines marble or quartz -or you can go with white designer lines with grooving Sharing some reference pictures
    ...See More
  • hawaiijenn23
    7 years ago
    I thought Taj Mahal was quartzite (natural stone) but I could be wrong. Quartz and quartzite are very different as Quartz is manmade. I believe Jospeh will have some feedback on this for you.
  • cand1781
    7 years ago

Hawaiijen- yes. Taj Mahal is in fact quartzite but one of Pental quartz man made color is also called Taj Mahal.

• lindylou2
    7 years ago

I've been looking at kitchen counter tops for 2 years and have considered everything from marble to quartz, to porcelain and quartzite and granite and now back to quartz. It seems like every one of these products has some sort of fault. I'm now considering Pentel "Misterio" for my kitchen counter tops. I selected this because I love the look of marble but don't want the hassle of maintenance that seems to come with it. Does anyone have experience with Misterio?

• momdia
    7 years ago

Mine is pental Grigio polished and has been a disastrous choice. It's not just the product you should consider but also how a manufacturer responds to problems. If you don't cook, don't have children, or aren't moderately concerned with appearance, it's fine. I'm stuck with mine.....

• hawaiijenn23
    7 years ago
    People seem to complain here on Houzz a whole lot about Pental Quartz. We wanted marble without the maintenance and went with LG viatera Rococo. We've had them for about 2 months now and couldn't love them more! It looks so much like carrara and doesn't show anything. No fingerprints or smudges. We are so happy with it!
  • Nate Keag
    7 years ago

Stay away from ColorQuartz. We are ready to rip out our concrete color quartz counter tops. The finish has flaked off and pitted. It also chips and scratches too easily. We have been overly protective of the tops, We do not cut on it, place hot pans or trays. Our CeasarStone White Quartz on our Island has held up great and gets used a lot more.

When we wipe them up they get hazy and cloudy.

We had the installing company out with the Rep for ColorQuartz. The rep to my face told me that we are too hard on and abuse our kitchen! Really!! People walk into our kitchen and ask us if we even cook in it!!

• bcalhoun10
    7 years ago

Follow up on my Quartz countertop. It developed a crack all the way through at an inside corner by the lazy Susan. The installing company replaced the counter and stated that they had never seen anything like that and that the inside cut may be a weak spot. I'm very happy with the company and have bought granite for other houses we have owned. However, I think I will stick with granite should we every need another counter.

• PRO
    Presidio Tile & Stone
    7 years ago

Inside corners on quartz need to be radius, not 90 degree straight cuts. The only way to get around that is to put a seam at the corner.

• lovetodecorate
    Original Author
    7 years ago

bcalhoun10, That's horrible it developed a crack. My quartz is only on the island so there are no seams. When they replaced your countertop..did they replace everything or just one section and matched it to the other counters? When I had mine replaced due to resin pooling the new countertop didn't match the breadboard that they made me from the first countertop. The new one was whiter. I actually like it better but realized they may not always match if a piece has to be replaced.

• lindylou2
    7 years ago
    Has anyone used Ceasarstone? I'm seriously considering Ceasarstone Pebble #4030, honed.
  • bcalhoun10
    7 years ago

@foreverhouse...it was a huge slab that also had a seam by the sink. They took away the whole thing to make sure it would match. It looks great. While doing a little research on quartz cracking, numerous people mentioned that you should not use appliances that may heat up the counter for prolonged amount of time, such as crock pots and sandwich grills. Good to know....but they should warn the consumers of that.

• PRO
    Julie Paulino Design
    7 years ago

Hi, have you considered "bianco macabous quartzite"? It's a Brazilian quart that looks a lot like marble but with more alongated veins. It's as strong as granite, if not more but beautiful like marble. Another option would be ceasarstone "statuario maximum" or "statuario nuvo" both look vey much like marble. Good luck

lovetodecorate thanked Julie Paulino Design
  • lovetodecorate
    Original Author
    7 years ago

bcalhoun10, I do remember reading about that..I forgot all about it. I think people that leave their laptops had a problem with quartz. I use an iPad that's in a case so I don't worry about that. I have a type of marble in my other house and I use a thick cutting board underneath when I use my slow cooker..which is not very often.

• Bruce Crawford
    7 years ago

Re laptops, one shouldn't leave them flat on any surface, quartz or otherwise. Heat build-up shortens life. I always have something at rear of mine that lifts it 1/4" or so for air circulation. We have Cambria. We use toaster daily & wife uses crockpot several times/mo. Both have feet that keep bottom surface well off countertop. No problems in 2+ yes.

• Kathi Steele
    7 years ago

I use my Nesco Roaster about once per week and it has not bothered my Cambria. It is on feet and does not generate a lot of heat below, I guess. My toaster is incorporated in my oven, so I don't have a counter top one!!

• bcalhoun10
    7 years ago
    1. "Natural stone surfaces can be damaged by sudden and/or rapid change of temperature, especially near the edges, as well as direct and/or sustained heating of the top. Cambria may not withstand the direct transfer of heat from pots and pans and other cooking units such as electric frying pans and griddles, slow cookers, roaster ovens, and heat lamps. Therefore, the use of a closed-weave hot pad or solid trivet like a bread board is always recommended to prevent heating the product."....from Cambria's warranty page.
    lovetodecorate thanked bcalhoun10
  • nanette16
    7 years ago

Love my quartz marble counters. I had a very lightly veined slab and some of the resin (holding the stone together) rose to give what looked like a tea -stain. The contractor immediately replaced it. Love love it

• damblues
    7 years ago

I am trying to decide what to put in our kitchen. I had decided on Cambria Quartz in a lighter color. I had black granite and it was horrible to keep clean. I wish I had a dollar for every time I had to wipe and re wipe those countertops. Lol. I read this entire thread tonight and now I am just confused again. I wanted the look of marble but not marble. Also we are adding 2 baths in this remodel. I was not even to the point of thinking of those countertops. Do folks usually use the same as what is in the kitchen? Color me overwhelmed.

• Bruce Crawford
    7 years ago

DamBlues, we are using same Cambria quartz in our family room bath remodel that we used in our K reno, but the vanity cabinets are different to add a little variety. That isn't b/c of some grand design, but during our K reno we'd originally planned on using the same quartz on the hutch, but switched it to a wooden countertop. Thus we had extra quartz we're now using in the bathroom.

• Elizabeth Gardner
    7 years ago
    We are very happy with Carrera Grigio, looks beautiful!
  • richgi2
    6 years ago

We have dark PentalQuartz, matte finish. It is hard to clean. I have to make several passes, first with sponge and then with paper towels. Even then, it never looks that good. We got this to replace Formica, which frankly was better.

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

I just love my white quartz counter tops, though soft scrub with bleach has become my best friend. They are difficult to keep from getting stained...though the stains come right off with the soft scrub. I have not had sunlight (or humidity) issues and they are constantly exposed to both (being in SW Florida). Even though they are much more high maintenance than my concrete countertops, I wouldn't trade them, because of how they look.

Interior Design/custom building · More Info

Interior Design/custom building · More Info

• Kathi Steele
    6 years ago

Kelly, I have quartz countertops and have had red kool aid stand on a countertop over night. I have NEVER had a stain, etch or anything like that. Are you sure they are quartz and not quartzite?

• damblues
    6 years ago

@Elizabeth Gardner are you still liking the Carrara Grigio? That is what the counter top guy suggested to me. This has been a horrible addition/remodel. Our builder and friend became very ill and passed away so we are way behind schedule and have a new builder assisting us. The budget did not include the Cambria, even though that was what I had indicated I wanted. Trying to figure out if I can handle the additional costs of the Cambria. UGH

• vickinbobyo
    6 years ago

We are thinking of Pental Quartz in the bathroom, including the shower walls. In a light color. I have heard pros and cons on this product, but I am wondering if it is just the dark colors. I have black granite in the kitchen and it is a real pain to keep clean, so I am hoping that it is not Pental. I prefer their colors. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• momdia
    6 years ago

The Pental product spots easily and is difficult to clean. Much better products available. I've never regretted a selection more.

• User
    6 years ago

We have now lived with our new quartz countertops for a couple of weeks and am shocked at the level of care they take. They look fine if your looking straight down on them. But if you look at a angle you can see wipe marks. Kind of like etching on marble. You see it in a certain light and at a certain angle only. Plus a lot of imperfections. Or it’s just simply damage from shipping and or handling of them. It’s a bit of a process every time you wipe them though and I was not prepared for that at all because of the “carefree “ reputation they have. So wished I had just gone with marble as the level of care seems similar but the wear is more natural looking. Regrets.....

• momdia
    6 years ago

Sorry. I've found them to be the worst possible product.

• hawaiijenn23
    6 years ago
    @ldecor54 I’m so sorry to hear about your experience. We have LG quartz and haven’t had any issues at all! It’s the most low maintenance thing in my house. But ours are white with grey veining and looks like Carrara marble. So maybe smudges just blend in. What color is your quartz and who makes it? It shouldn’t have a lot of imperfections either. You may want to reach out to your fabricator and ask them why your quartz has damage like that.
  • Bruce Crawford
    6 years ago

Yea, as I posted earlier, we've had our Cambria 3 yrs. now & my wife still talks about how much she loves it.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

Idecor54:

They this, please.

• Kathi Steele
    6 years ago

Bruce, we have had our Cambria Bellingham for 2.5 years now! I can't believe it. I still love my counter tops! Not one single problem. No stains, no smudges, no streaks, no chips!!

Idecor54, I am sorry you are having so much trouble. You need to get with your installer and find out the problem so they can fix it.

• lovetodecorate
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I’m the original poster..I purchased the MSI Carrara Grigio that looks like marble. My original slab had a white spot of resin pooling that my fabricator replaced with a new one. I’ve had enough time with it to say I’m still happy with it. It looks brand new with no problems whatsoever. I feel bad for the people that are having problems with theirs. I just had Thanksgiving here and the counter was a mess during the prep. I gave it a wash afterwards and it cleaned up perfectly.
  • User
    6 years ago

I have dupont zodiaq London sky which is a white/grey marble look. I’ll be calling the contractor Monday as everyone has advised. Can’t imagine going thru the replacement process since we just got back into our kitchen after four months. But I know I can’t complain without being prepared to do what’s necessary. Fingers crossed and thanks everyone for confirming that quartz should not be high maintenance.

• User
    6 years ago

Joseph corlett: what??

• Kathi Steele
    6 years ago

I think he meant try this and click on the link.

• User
    6 years ago

Thank you kathi

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

"Joseph corlett: what??"

Google "Magic Countertop Cleaner" please.

• User
    6 years ago

Thank you Joseph will do

• tallbritster
    6 years ago

Read my YELP on Ceaserstone counters. NEVER choose a dark color of quartz. Every crumb and fingerprint shows and we clean our "deep ocean" quartz about 20 times a day. Also, every scratch shows up white!!! I dropped a knife on it and it chipped. My husband tried to open a spice bottle by tapping on the lid while it sat on the counter and lots of little white flecks showed up under the bottle. The reps were supposed to come and fix it but never showed up. No matter what anyone says, Quartz does not hold up like granite, or maybe it is just Ceaserstone!

• vickinbobyo
    6 years ago

After reading the pros and cons and considering the price, I went with large porcelain tiles that look like charcoal grey slate. I am very happy. Thank you so much for all your help.

• bcalhoun10
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I had posted earlier about smudges and water stains on my white quartz. I have found that a wiping them down with some diluted white vinegar removes any stains or smudges. Very happy with them now.

• PRO
    Kitchen Magic
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hi Lovetodecorate..

Granite and quartz are very different in looks. Quartz has a more consistent pattern since it is engineered. Granite is more random and sometimes more of a surprise once you get it home and installed. Happy remodeling!

Granite

Quartz

• Jennie Julianne
    6 years ago

We have white quartz and absolutely LOVE it...it was costly but so worth it. Easy clean and look s beautiful. I am very much done with granite. IF i redo my bathrooms I am doing white quartz as well.

• Linda Bianchi
    5 years ago

Lindylou2 did you choose the Pental Misterio quartz for your countertops? I’m looking for quartz and liked the color.

• calmom25
    2 years ago

For Pental Quartz counter problems: were they "polished" or "honed"? I've "heard" the honed are miserable, but the polished work very well.

• momdia
    2 years ago

Miserable! That’s the right word.

• E Moss
    last year

I love my ocean jasper quartz countertops! Have had them almost a year now. Easy to maintain.