flgrandma

Need Help in Guest Bedroom

flgrandma
11 years ago
I've been in my "new" home for almost two years but I'm still working on some details. I've attached photos of my guest bedroom. I think the room looks OK, but sort of bland. I'm thinking of painting the wall behind the bed blue. The print over the bed on that wall has orange, blue, off white and tans. I'm also considering a new carpet, perhaps in blue and white. The room isn't large so I used roomy bachelor's chests on each side of the bed. There are two largish stools as well for sitting or luggage. Please give me your opinion of how to improve this room. Thank you.

Comments (44)

• flgrandma
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    This is the first time I've posted here and I'm having trouble with photos. I'll try again.
  • flgrandma
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I'd like to also mention that this room is part of a guest suite with it's own sitting room and bath.
  • Related Discussions

Help - contractor added receesed lights by accident in guest bedroom

Q

Comments (2)
    keep them! Just put some ambient lighting on the nightstands. Recessed is wonderful!
    ...See More

Need help with my bedroom

Q

Comments (3)
    sure take a picture of the entire house and send you, but only after a weeks time as i am going out of town. Also , please suggest as i need a kids room (we don't have right now)..so a design for the room that can be easily turned into a bedroom later. also a walk-in closet +a guest room +an entertainment room( all this apart for the kitchen and dinning and living space)
    ...See More

Need help on bedroom

Q

Comments (24)
    Keya, glad you decided to take the one reader's idea about moving the armoires in front of windows that you don't need and giving the bed a wall of its own! And, yes, you can have Roman shades on one wall and layered drapes on the other. When I had drapes made for my tall sitting room windows/doors, I had them use the same fabric for the Roman shades for the smaller windows on the other wall. For me personally, in these older Indian homes with all the odd nooks and niches in the walls, perhaps it would be more soothing to have a light/med tone paint on the walls that blends with the drapes/blinds for an 'uninterrupted' look, and I would use the same color on ceiling and beams. (but that is just my thought) I would start the process with a large carpet with your favorite colors, then choose your Bedcover & cushions, then your wall paint and fabric for drapes/blinds ..Not certain what style you like, but if you really like a particular Ethnic bedcover fabric, you can always have them stitched into curtains or Roman shades too. Can't wait to see the "After" pics!
    ...See More

Need help choosing bedroom wardrobe color

Q

Comments (6)
    You must go English. The colour depends on the kind of finish that you want in the sense whether it is veneer or laminate. You get excellent laminate these days. Don’t introduce a dramatic shade, instead opt for something subtle and subdued. Infact if you have a great carpenter glass would be a great option. However it must be toughened and frosted white.
    ...See More
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Your room really is quite lovely..I am not sure the size of the mirrors behind the lamps are the right sizes ..but I could be wrong... still doesn't look bad...A blue or grey room would be lovely also,
  • lydiaxoxo27
    11 years ago
    I would try replacing the small carpet with a black one to add a warmer feel. Also try a black/white/gray bedding!
  • nysnh
    11 years ago
    It is a already a cozy room. Personally, I love the fame of the pictures or mirror with more curves and details and I like warm wall colors. I would remove all the small framed pictures and I would keep/paint the yellow/creamy wall color.

The window is pretty and I would make it more focal point of the room. I would add swags/valance to it.
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    11 years ago
    It is cozy. If you want to snazz it up a bit, I would paint the wall behind the bed a lacquer orange and keep the other walls the same. The two small pictures in the alcove, I would move to the right of the window, left of the light and put one over the other. I would remove the mirrors and put just one of them on the wall above the stool, hung with a large orange ribbon. The orange stool in the alcove is great. Everything else, I would leave just the same, it's beautiful. If you wanted to do anything else to the arched window area, I would use a cotton paisley with an orange background instead of the shears. Both would look nice.
  • 2dogssashatess
    11 years ago
    I like your mirrors but I do not think those lamps work in front of them. The mirrors are too small to have the lamps in front of them
  • flgrandma
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The comments about the small pictures is so true. I didn't realize how small they look on the walls until I saw these photos. I had thought about some sort of curtain to soften the room, but didn't want to overdo. If I go with the blue walls I'm afraid that the current rugs won't work. They have a lot of green. Here's a couple of rugs I'm looking at or something similar. If I do paint the wall and change the rug what material should I be looking at for a swag, valance or drapes?

I'm trying to have a room that will feel comfortable to both female and male guests.
  • flgrandma
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Here's a room from Houzz photos that I like.
  • Jean Tuck
    11 years ago
    I like this room its just enough space and guess the mirrors behind the lamps are for better illumination in the space. Like the curved top window I think I may even be able to make the top curtain if I had a window like that is pretty I think.Like the bench at the window incase you wanted a quiet area to read.
  • Jean Tuck
    11 years ago
    in 4 pictures i like the lower left one but smaller table to left of chair.
  • lorourke76
    11 years ago
    Based on your Houzz pic that you like, I think the darker blue wall would look nice. The blue will absorb the light from the lamps, so leave the mirrors and then decide if you want to remove them. They probably will then serve to reflect more light. If you remove them, put one to the right of the door. Maybe the second one can go someplace in the sitting room to tie the two rooms together. Take 4 little pictures and maybe put them verically near window where you have 1. I like the current rug and would leave it as is. Main thing is that if YOU like it, then it is right. It is your home.
  • jansgirl
    11 years ago
    The room is already lovely and I would be quite pleased to stay here. It's cozy.

My suggestions would be to replace the rug with a much larger one that goes under the bed and extends out on both sides and at the foot. I likethe paisley you have now and I would use a pattern again-perhaps you could find a rug with some blue in the pattern as you mentioned.

I keep looking at the alcove and wanting to see it painted the accent color to highlight that area or wallpaper with a simple pattern. Should you decide to bring blue into the room, you'll have to have a spot or two more blue besides just the art. Recover the ottoman by the door and some blue in the bed pillows as well.

Except for the art above the bed, your art is much too small for the walls they are hung on. I'd rather see you hang your round mirrors on each side of your shuttered windows if they aren't too wide. Or group the four small ones together on one side of the window and the two that are there now, on the other side. Then move one of the mirrors above the ottoman by the door.

You've done a great job so far. Hope we get to see what you decide.
  • flgrandma
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I don't want to add any more furniture to the room. This is a small room and is in a guest suite that has it's own sitting room. The ottoman and small bench are just there to sit on while putting on shoes or for luggage. See photos below of the sitting room (which isn't finished either, but is quite comfortable for reading, watching tv, playing video games. There's a small private patio behind the drapes.
  • hailee314
    11 years ago
    I think you should paint the back wall a light blue and redecorate the whole room. Maybe a new bed set to match the wall and new lamps and decor. That would make the room outstanding but not to over the top.
  • nysnh
    11 years ago
    flgrandma, I like the houzz photo you just posted and the rug photos which are more contemporary styles. However, to go well with the blue wall and contemporary design, I am afraid you will have more work to do with the furniture, table lamps, art, etc. Furniture/decors with clearer lines and sleeker surface would do well for a contemporary design.

As a matter of fact, I have a room with similar contemporary feeling with blue-red tone. To me, It is more simple apartment feeling style. I do not feel it is warm and welcome. When I saw your room the first sight, I feel it is comfortable and feel like a home. I want to stay in it for a night. :)
  • Mary Bert
    11 years ago
    I like your room...and your bedding is lovely...I wonder if your bench in front of the window would fit at the front of your bed...Also I don't know if they match...but if you added all the small pics to your grouping on your wall already it would look in better balance...I really like the paint color Squire Hill Buff 1068 by Benjamin Moore it would give a lovely warmth to your room...Even if you didn't do a thing...it's such a lovely room...lucky you...
  • PRO
    Deborah Vanderzel Designs
    11 years ago
    Yes the houzz picture has the right blue to match your deep orange accents, although it may be too strong with the white of your bed linens, and shutters, perhaps a few shades lighter
    i like the rug on the right, the blue gray or the charcoal. Wait on the rug purchase until after you paint. Then you'll know what direction for sure
    I like the window area too, but it needs some interesting texture rather than sheers ... reassess after you decide on painting.
    Good luck
  • Norma Sassone
    11 years ago
    I mostly like this room and its colors - very welcoming! I agree about the tiny pix that need to be replaced with something bigger. Also I am not fond of the mirrors behind the lamps. perhaps you could move one to the wall where the ottoman is and the other to craigslist :-) I adore your paisley rug - could you find one in a 7 X 9 foot version to fill the room up more, under the bed? Where you have the 4 little pix maybe a wall display of baskets? or other wall art? I like the striped throw but perhaps an antique quilt folded at the bottom would add geometric graphics and coziness.
  • flgrandma
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    hailee 314 - I'm a retired widow who just wants to make her home a little better. I can afford paint, some some new drapes, a new rug, recovering an ottoman, some throw pillows, but not a complete redo of any of my rooms. Perhaps I wasn't clear as to what I was looking for as far as help.

To everyone, thanks so much for all of your suggestions. You gave me some great ideas and I truly appreciate the time that you've taken to help lead me in the right direction. I'll send some photos when the guest bedroom is improved.
  • clindsay3406
    11 years ago
    I like eagledzines idea about the orange wall. The room looks nice, but is very matchy-matchy with the matching lamps and mirrors. Matchy-matchy is oldie-oldie. Get a different, more modern lamp for one side, stack some books on one of the end tables, and take one of the mirrors down and replace it with some lovely framed black and white photographs double hung. Also, find an Indian quilt made from old saris to layer on the bed for some additional color and texture.
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    Your room really needs next to nothing as far as improvements...already gorgeous..just minor if u want only...wall color and new pillow...for a new color if u choose...no need to replace furniture, carpet or anything else in my thoughts...Best Wishes to you!
  • Keitha
    11 years ago
    You have a good sense of proportion! The art over the bed and the mirrors and lamps on the night stands are very nice. I would suggest that the window area needs softening with drapery panels on each side of the window hung to the ceiling. Otherwise, very inviting guest room !
  • 2dogssashatess
    11 years ago
    Matchy matchy is symmertrical and people like symmetry. Nothing wrong with matchy matchy
  • Katherine Floritto
    11 years ago
    I like both the bedroom and the sitting room - and I like your choice of Houzz pics, if you decide to paint, etc. So far, you've kept the rooms simple, with clean lines and good colour - very welcoming to any guest. I think your design sense is quite good, overall. The paisley rug is a bit small and the 4 pics on that wall are also rather small, but other than that, I see no real need for change, unless you *want* change. If you want the wall behind the bed to be darker, go with whatever works best with your existing woods and softgoods, but only as dark as it takes to show them off. In other words, a deep tone is good - a dark, drab colour is not..:) Congratulations with what you've done so far - and if you decide that's as far as you wish to go - well done!!
  • PRO
    Shades IN Place
    11 years ago
    If your budget allows, you could address the arched window replacing the sheer with an arched shutter to match the lower part and add drapery side panels to soften the looks.
  • flgrandma
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Everyone, this has been a real learning experience in many ways. First and foremost, if I post again I will include the dimensions of the room I'm showing, the photos are very distorting. By the way, my guest bedroom is only 12' x 12 1/2' and the ceiling height is 8 '. Secondly, I didn't give enough information at the beginning. For example: my budget and the fact that I'd moved the furniture many times and to comfortably navigate the room, this is it. Third, when I set up the room I tried to incorporate what I would like in a guest room, comfy bed, places to store clothing, good reading lamp, tissues at each bedside, holder for jewelry and enough room on bedside stand for book, nook or what ever's needed during the night.

The sheered curtains on the arch were in place when I moved in and I've thought about replacing them many times, mostly because they cut the view. See photos below for the daytime look. I didn't remove them because there is a street light just two houses down the street. and they do provide some blocking. However, I now have some ideas on how to solve that problem.

It's apparent from some of the responses that orange and blue are not a favored color combination, but I like it and want to work with it to make the room just a little bit nicer for my guests.

Thanks everyone.
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    I really is all about what u want...Hopefully something useful was gained..Your guest bedroom looks very comfy! It is apparent you do much to ensure your guests are comfortable! Your orange and blue looks fine..I like it!
  • lauraingalls
    11 years ago
    Room looks fantastic. You are just bored of seeing it always like that, as it is a guest suite, does not have much of personalization. Just change decorations, And you will feel much better. The mirrows first, they look aged. The paint on the bed wall , use something longer, not so square, or even a shelf wouldo better. The 4 little drawings take them and pit a mirrow with a nice wood trim, it will bring the light in from the window. In the sitting area, you can put some more drawers space or console that can be used as a side table with a lamp to add more light and make it a nice space to read a book. But be carefull with the shades, they need space to open. You can take them and put a nice curtains, ceiling to floor. Use a soft one underneath a blackout, and on the sides to small ones just to create a trim in coordinating with the bed throw. You can do a lot of things in this bedroom but in general it looks good. Save money for a bigger project later somewhere else.
  • anitajoyce
    11 years ago
    Nice room. Remove the mirrors from behind the lamps because I don't think thats a good place for them.
  • CHRISTINE FREY
    11 years ago
    We can gess you're living in a caribbean island by the "Martiniquaise" windows, the tropical garden and very near the seaside. I would put a Moroccan touch to your room with Moorish sconces like these attached. It would give an warm and intimate ambience to your room.
  • User
    11 years ago
    Love the room. The bedskirt look too lightweight to balance the coverlet and oranges. What about an orange solid or print to balance the stronger color elsewhere?
  • flgrandma
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I agree about the bedskirt, I do have a quilted one in white for the bed. I just need a couple of strong guys to lift the mattress. I like the Moorish touch idea. The print has sort of that look, as do the Ikat and trellis rugs that I'm attracted to. I also have some brass decorative plates that my parents brought back from Morocco that I might be able to use.

I hate to dispel you visions of a tropical island, but I live on the Space Coast of Florida.

Photos of the print and the plates.
  • flgrandma
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Photos of print and plates.
  • flgrandma
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    i've removed the sheers from the top of the window.
  • flgrandma
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Next question concerns drapes. Should I hang them inside or outside and higher than the little bay area? If outside, should I hang the rod just below the ceiling? The ceiling is only 8'.
  • patty40422
    11 years ago
    Orange and blue are beautiful complementary colors! I would go with your instinct and your Houzz idea and paint the headboard wall. Perhaps hang the brass plates vertically by the door. I don't really care for the mirrors behind the lamps as they look too crowded for me. Incorporate any other suggestions given on this site that you like and that are within budget. I agree, it's already a beautiful, welcoming space.
  • PRO
    Bella Interiors
    11 years ago
    Your room has so much potential! I love your furniture! I personally think that you need to paint 'all' of the walls to make the room more intimate. Your window disappears in the room, but with a darker wall color, it will really stand out! Also, your framed print over your bed seems to look "in scale" with the furniture, but I would remove the mirrors. Try hanging one (or both) vertically over that ottoman in front of the bed. Also, your other artwork (plates and framed art) are way to small.

I love your rug, and I think after painting the room, it will look nicer too. "Wheat Germ" by Martin Senour Paints would be a great color in this room because it would complement your existing accessories... even your rug!

I am so glad that you took down your sheers! That was a great start!
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    I just want to come visit u! lol
  • flgrandma
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I'd love to have all of you great people with wonderful ideas come for a visit. There are other rooms that need help too. This could go on for a long time.
  • PRO
    Deborah Vanderzel Designs
    11 years ago
    Hang the rod inside the window nook right below the ceiling, find a fabulous print for the drape panels
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    11 years ago
    As lauraingalls suggested, I would consider putting blackout drapes with shears on the whole window wall. I would remove the shutters since you wouldn't need them if you did this. I would hang the drapes from the floor to the top of the alcove--but I would put the drapes on all three sides of the alcove, even though there is only one window in the center. This would give an illusion that the room is larger. Also, it should be a pattern that doesn't 'hide' the chair, but makes it stand out. The background of the drapes should be a different color or starkly different saturation of the same color.
    If you're stuck on blue, try a blue pillow with orange embroidery.
  • janax
    11 years ago
    I like the room and furniture, and agree that the mirrors should go. Hang one mirror above the stool near the door and replace lamps with wall sconces. I like the navy and white rug you chose and would like to see a wallpaper feature wall behind the bed with red,orange green and navy colours similar to your small rug. love the window a built in window seat would make a nice cosy place for your guests enjoy the view, read or just relax.