keya_mitra

Need help on bedroom

Keya Mitra
7 years ago

Hi, I'm in the Tropics, in Kolkata (India). I've inherited my parents' home built in 1976 and full of polished wood furniture from the 1920's, and the 1960's in dark and medium polish. The bedroom has some beautiful pieces but the clash of polish and furniture styles is creating a lot of noise. I intend to change the floor to light ceramic vitrified tiles. I would appreciate the advice of the Houzz community on whether I should retain the dark polish in the cupboards and arm chair and match the polish of the 4 poster bed to go with it, and simply paint the other furniture. I plan to use green as the main color and maybe grey to complement it. There's a beam running across the room. I can't change the location of the AC. Should I paint the beam in contrast with the rest of the ceiling? Also, what do I do about the draperies behind the bed? I was thinking of replacing the distressed pelmet and heavy drapes with Roman blinds in a light shade of off white. I could really use some help. Very confused. Thanks a lot!

Comments (24)

• decoenthusiaste
    7 years ago

I think you're confused because the room is confused. Re-arranging it might help but we aren't seeing all four walls. The bed would look better with a wall behind it. Will this be your master bedroom? Looks like the bed is made of two smaller ones pushed together so it is a king with the poster portion added for draperies which are missing. With the two cupboards (armoires) and two bed frames, you might separate the beds and make this into a guest or children's bedroom. I think the change in flooring will be nice. Then you should add a rug under the bed. I agree with roman shades but you're going to need some fabrics to soften the space when you put hard floors in. It will echo without enough fabrics. You could add stationary panels between the windows, hanging over the shades. There are a lot of windows for a bedroom, so I wouldn't mind it the armoires are tall enough to cover a window or two. If you keep the larger configuration for the bed, you can add drapery to the poster. I don't mind the dark finish on the furniture. With the traditional planter's boot removal chair you can go with a plantation style. You can visually lower the ceiling by painting it dark, and I'd remove the florescent light and add more table lamps. This will help the "beam" disappear. Generally, a bedroom paint color is chosen based on the colors in the bedding, so get new bedding first and go from there.

Buckhead Residence · More Info

Lido Island I · More Info

Jamaican Villa · More Info

• PRO
    Randy Trainor
    7 years ago

Roman shades would definitely make a difference. Here are some images below, from some of the houses we have designed, to let you see what it might look like.

Family Farmhouse Project · More Info

Living Room · More Info

Keya Mitra thanked Randy Trainor
  • Irene Morresey
    7 years ago
    Some inspiration
    Keya Mitra thanked Irene Morresey
  • Irene Morresey
    7 years ago
    You could paint beams black or charcoal like in pics, your ceilings look quite high, so could get away with it
    Keya Mitra thanked Irene Morresey
  • decoenthusiaste
    7 years ago

blenheimnewzealand - I don't think there are beams, just one AC duct. In that case, I think it would be better to match it to a darker ceiling to lower all of it visually and fade away the duct.

Keya Mitra thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Keya Mitra
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you so much for your comments. Let me clarify.....I can't convert this into a guest bedroom. I totally agree about removing the fluorescent lights and replacing these with lamps. Regarding the bedding, I like to keep changing it and so I would not want to stay with one set of colours. Perhaps I need to keep the walls neutral. And, decoenthusiaste, that is a beam that runs through the middle of the room. The room is 15ft by 18ft and the ceiling is 11 feet. I can't change the location of the bed either, so I am thinking of adding Roman blinds behind the bed. Can you please share a picture of a combination of Roman blinds and stationary panels as suggested by decoenthusiaste.

• Kruti Ali
    7 years ago

Yes I think keeping the walls natural would help. I like the idea of romans too.

Keya Mitra thanked Kruti Ali
  • Neha Batra
    6 years ago

I am in love with your furniture... you could also consider wooden flooring instead of a tiled one, - light shade though. Match the polish colour for all the furniture, distressed is quite in and you could go for a distressed look for all the furniture. Painting the walls white including the beam and painting the AC wall an olive green will look nice. You could add side tables on each side of the bed with nice glass base/porcelain base lamps. Blinds behind the bed could be mint/olive green and the blinds for window below the AC could be a cream or off white if you paint the wall green. Also move the chair next to the window on the AC wall with nice cushions and a nice floor lamp. The TV cabinet can be placed below the window on the AC wall. Over all it will be a nice cosy reading corner around that window. Finally you could add a nice rug ṭo the bedroom. If you don't want any accent colour you could have the entire room painted white with a distress polish or natural polish on all furniture as per your preference.

Keya Mitra thanked Neha Batra
  • Keya Mitra
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I've made a number of changes in the furniture arrangement since I posted the picture. I've followed some of the advice from decoenthusiaste by moving the two tall armoires on either side of the bed. This has eaten up some of the excessive openings on the rear wall and has added to the visual opening up of the room. I am having second thoughts about changing the floor. It is too much of a hassle and perhaps an avoidable expense. I am thinking of fixing the electrical layout, painting the walls in shades of green (yet to decide which ones), putting in draperies in two layers (sheer and heavier) behind the bed and keeping the bed linen simple and light in colour so it does not compete with the darker or medium tone walls that I intend to opt for. Lamps are definitely in and moving the armchair (my grandfather's) to the TV wall with a floor lamp as suggested by Neha is also something I am considering. I have moved the TV away from the room and will eventually move out all extra furniture except the bed and the armoires. At the far end of the room, on the wall parallel to the bed, we have a long study table with open shelving above because my husband and I both use the bedroom for our work. We work on our laptops and I have a printer and scanner all against this one wall and lighting below the shelves to light up the work surface. In the meanwhile, I am open to suggestions on colour palettes for the walls, bedlinen and thoughts on what to do about the floor that will not be too invasive on our life and our purse.....thanks so much. Thirty minutes on the Houzz App is a perfect end to my day and I feel like I haven't done something important if I don't browse the pictures and articles.

• Neha Batra
    6 years ago

That's why I suggested wooden flooring as it's not a hassle at all. You need not break the current flooring, the logs are placed above the existing flooring using a strong adhesive. It will instantly change the way your room looks. Olive green/mint green looks great in bedrooms and u could play with neutrals like beige, off white for draperies and bed linen. A sheer in soft golden can be added in curtains to add a little bling element that's not overpowering. All the best, happy renovating and do share pics

• Keya Mitra
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Neha, but placing logs however small these may be will require me to change all the doors in the house and would reduce the clear height of door openings. I don't think I want to go in for all that, and would rather use area rugs to hide the floor if required.

• shellsingh
    6 years ago

After living in India for 17 years, I understand the complexity of having 'work' done in your home, as well as the dirt factor. Breaking of the floor is a HUGE, long, dirty process; guys will take longer than you think. Wooden flooring has not proven to be successful in India, as most housekeepers do not know to use a barely wet cloth to clean it! (unless you are cleaning it yourself) And then the factor you mentioned of the doors. Your idea of keeping the floor and using one of the beautiful carpets is the best. Chick blinds (we never choose off-white anything in India) in a warm, light natural color with soft drapes framing the windows would look nice. Love the look of antique, dark furniture with fresh light colored upholstery and carpets! Happy Decorating with all the lovely fabrics available here!

Keya Mitra thanked shellsingh
  • Keya Mitra
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I wasn't even considering wooden flooring. But I did toy with the idea of changing the flooring of the entire house from cast-in-situ terrazzo to vitrified tiles which are now available in many attractive wood look alike textures and colours. But now, considering the need to change the doors, and the huge hassle of installing new floors in a house full of furniture and activities is too daunting and we have decided not to opt for it. As you rightly said, there are many options for carpets, rugs and the lovely cotton weaves on dhurries.

• URVISINGH Sukul
    6 years ago
    Love your almirahs,the four-poster bed and the long armchair! Brings back memories of my great-grandfather's and grandfather's houses.You have so many great ideas here from so many people.Glad to see you're getting them to work!
    Keya Mitra thanked URVISINGH Sukul
  • Keya Mitra
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Another poser on this. I am planning to put drapes (sheer and heavier ones in two layers) behind the bed. Is it OK to have Roman blinds and not drapes on the windows to the right of the AC? I have blocked the windows on the left of the AC as there were just too many windows in the room. About the walls, I want this room to have a cozy feel, and am visualizing dark or at least medium tone walls, floor and table lamps, draperies and bed linen in light colours with maybe a throw in some contrasting color. I'm just worried that instead of looking cozy it might end up looking and feeling overbearing with darker walls. The room is 15 feet by 18 feet and the ceiling height is 11 feet. Look forward to your thoughts. Thanks :-)

• shellsingh
    6 years ago

Keya, glad you decided to take the one reader's idea about moving the armoires in front of windows that you don't need and giving the bed a wall of its own! And, yes, you can have Roman shades on one wall and layered drapes on the other. When I had drapes made for my tall sitting room windows/doors, I had them use the same fabric for the Roman shades for the smaller windows on the other wall. For me personally, in these older Indian homes with all the odd nooks and niches in the walls, perhaps it would be more soothing to have a light/med tone paint on the walls that blends with the drapes/blinds for an 'uninterrupted' look, and I would use the same color on ceiling and beams. (but that is just my thought) I would start the process with a large carpet with your favorite colors, then choose your Bedcover & cushions, then your wall paint and fabric for drapes/blinds ..Not certain what style you like, but if you really like a particular Ethnic bedcover fabric, you can always have them stitched into curtains or Roman shades too. Can't wait to see the "After" pics!

• Neha Batra
    6 years ago

The room dimensions are pretty good, medium toned walls will look nice. Neutrals with a pop of colour always looks nice. Please do share pics of your room after the changes.

• PRO
    Civil engineer and palaner
    6 years ago
    I Will help u . contact me 9685672271 only what s aap
  • PRO
    Civil engineer and palaner
    6 years ago
    I Will help u . contact me 9685672271 only what s aap
  • PRO
    Colour Ur Blank Spaces
    6 years ago

We are an online homes styling and staging company. We do space planning, furniture layouts, reuse/ repurpose old furniture with the new ones, make design boards and suggest easy solutions with great makeovers. You can check some of our work on our profile on Houzz.

You could also get in touch with us on 9923893771 or email us at reema@cubspaces.com

Happy Colouring!

regards,

Team Cubspaces

Keya Mitra thanked Colour Ur Blank Spaces
  • PRO
    The Keybunch decor blog
    4 years ago

Do opt for a different flooring. You can also stick floor tiles in colourful colonial prints - or simple red oxide flooring, or even tiles that mimic the red oxide look. Secondly, keep all the antiques, and you could choose only a few pieces from the 70s era just to keep the space eclectic.

Experiment with wood color for pieces that are not genuinely antique, or not teak. There are interesting distress finish options and this mix of tiles, wood, and colour are sure to give you an economical makeover!

Keya Mitra thanked The Keybunch decor blog
  • PRO
    The Woods Home interiors
    4 years ago

hi , I would suggest you to provide us with rough layout of the current room instead of going with complete green which makes the room look smaller it's better if you go with whites and add green accents used in furniture or accent wall which gives you more calming effect than complete green

Keya Mitra thanked The Woods Home interiors
  • rkamatd
    4 years ago

Please retain the colour of the dark polish, has it gives a very century type look which is rarely seen these days. The furniture is beautiful. Get the walls painted with some light cream or beige. You can enhance one wall in grey or light pink or keep the whole room in white. If you go for a white outlook for the walls then make curtains in cream or beige. Arrange the furniture properly so that the room does not have a cluttered look.

Keya Mitra thanked rkamatd