irenale

Painting over the fireplace: is it too small?

Irenale Keller
9 years ago
Please help me decide! Should I find a bigger painting for this family room or leave this one? If I keep the small one in this room, should I hang it on the wall or leave on the mantel as is? What else can I do in this room? I'm thinking drapery and a console behind the sofa. There is also the angled wall to the left of the room (with the clock in it) that I'm not sure about... Thanks!

Comments (103)

• emmacordelia
    9 years ago

I wonder if the picture seems like a problem because the fireplace is competing with the TV cabinet as a focal point for the room. I wonder what would happen for the fireplace if you painted the beautiful TV cabinetry the color of the walls to make it disappear and bring the focus to the fireplace. Also, I wonder if it might be good to switch the colors of the walls as the lighter wall draws the eye's attention. Then,if the focal point of the room was clearly the fireplace, I think you could wrestle better with how to "dress" it.

Irenale Keller thanked emmacordelia
  • tschris13
    9 years ago

I agree with many above comments:

Picture is too small and too low. Raise up. If you don't want/have a larger one, you can flank the smaller picture with candle sconces or tall narrow framed mirrors to make a larger presence.

Entertainment unit is fighting fireplace for attention as the focal point of the room. Move side bookcases to either side of fireplace. If the top "hutch" comes off the base of the center unit, I would do that and just have the tv on the stand.

Add small end table/accent table between blue chairs and add some "pops" of blue or other colors to the room. If you want to fill in the wall on either side of the pared-down entertainment center, how about a large basket to stash extra pillows/throws or a couple of those "pouf"-style ottomans for the kids to pull out and crash on when TV watching? Or move the plant that is under the clock.

Where clock is, a console table would look great...with a mirror above it and a tall buffet lamp.

Have fun! This part can be frustrating, but so rewarding! Keep switching around and you'll know when its right!

Irenale Keller thanked tschris13
  • Related Discussions

Area rug too small!

Q

Comments (18)
    Thank you for your suggestions everyone. I am going to layer it with another solid rug and use it in the living room. My living room neds a bit of colour and I thought this would be perfect. Breaks my heart to think that I may have to put it elsewhere.
    ...See More

Need Help for my living room lightning please suggest me

Q

Comments (66)
    OK... but the wire wont be lower as it is fixed now. The wire in the pics below is the wall facing each other. They were leveled on equal height but the beam on one wall makes it seem a little above. But i think you guys are absolutely right that up and down lights wont look good there. I think you are right about down lights lessismoore. Would it look good if i go with two different lights on opposite walls??? it would look odd right.
    ...See More

Renovating a tiny( 4'2"x7'8") outdated bathroom.

Q

Comments (53)
    I am so happy to see you here! I will have to go back and see if i can retrieve my posts... thought I would make them into a little book for my daughter, with photos. Quick run-down on the bathroom (not travels, no time) - The kitchen has a rather elegant sliding door with beveled glass panels. Painted white, since this was the original colour. GD's new bathroom has the doors I had picked earlier; i thought of polishing them but decided sprayed automobile paint (on a resin primer) would wear better. Especially since it is such a small bathroom, and she is so splashy. I have this finish in my kitchen and it has lasted 15 years now. A tad chipped here and there, but only needs a wipe down once a week. Same finish for the balcony doors, also split like the bathroom. We have a new wardrobe, a study table with built-in shelves, and a small chest of drawers for her odds and ends. I want to re-tile the tiny balcony, more as a little statement. Currently we are looking at Portuguese tiles, though I did think a mosaic with a funky cat might be nice. Let me see the costing. The room will be painted a neutral adobe, with bright white woodwork and an off-white ceiling. This means she can go wild with cushions and covers. Other changes in the flat; We have changed the glass in the master bedroom and living room from small cramped panes to a single pane for each section with a 1" bevel all round. Doubles the cost of the glass, but looks so elegant! The air-conditioning is being re-located. The compressors were all mounted in the bedroom and living room balconies, which looked terrible and meant the balconies (very narrow, only 30" deep) couldn't be used for anything. Not even plants. So they are being moved so that the compressors can be mounted at the rear of the building. two down, one to go. Now we can put in some nice plants, fishtail palms etc. The kitchen counter on one side came out intact and will be reused elsewhere. I am planning overhead storage, cupboards, and a draining cupboard for plates and glasses. Right now there is no dish washer, though a place is earmarked, but for now I will put in a cupboard with steel racks for cups, glasses and plates, all hidden behind pressed glass doors. This is all in the planning stage.... Pictures in a little while, they are mostly on my ipad and don't transfer well to the mac. They come without numbers... so I have to rename the or something. Somebody tell me how to do this!
    ...See More

Need suggestion for my new first home!

Q

Comments (9)
    First, I would ask the builder to give you the dimensions of the furniture used in the plan. Since they've already done the legwork-you will know which pieces will fit. Many times folks go the the furniture store and end up with a huge sectional and it over powers the room. Second, just get what you love! You have to live there. Start to create an idea book in Houzz. You'll start to see a pattern. Then just find a sofa like the one in your pic that is in your price range. Just keep repeating until you have all your pieces. Same thing with wall decor (which I would do last). Have fun!
    ...See More
  • whynotdecorate
    9 years ago

If you love the painting and if you decide it's too small add a larger mat. There seems to be a lot of white furniture competing for focal point. I'd replace the coffee table with something a glass topped table/dark or metallic legs. Love your chairs and would prefer a darker end table between them as well.

Irenale Keller thanked whynotdecorate
  • Teena
    9 years ago
    as lig143 said; you'll need to create more relationship with your pieces. now, it's cold and stark. I agree with their suggestions to repeat your colors, add a rug to group furnishings and don't have competing focal points. Down play objects in the bookcase keeping them simple but relating to the colors in the room. your scale as to be on point also. their suggestions were spot on.
    Irenale Keller thanked Teena
  • aleanor
    9 years ago

Hi. Fun to be starting out...Could you paint the tv console the same colour as the wall? Your books could then play a role in making the room a little warmer and the white wouldn't compete with the fireplace and couch. Curtains are on the way, I guess...something deconstructed maybe, like a light linen? I like the blue...

Irenale Keller thanked aleanor
  • hollywaterfall
    9 years ago

I like the room. :) I would raise the painting up a few inches above the fireplace. I would move the chairs and chess table to be under the window and move the sofa to face the fireplace.

Irenale Keller thanked hollywaterfall
  • L.B. Cohen
    9 years ago

Too small, too low. If you love it, add a wider frame And hang it two or three inches higher!

Irenale Keller thanked L.B. Cohen
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago

I only see a few small things to do: Get a larger painting for the mantle & hang it. Move the coffee table so it is 18" from the sofa. A sofa table with two lamps behind the sofa as you suggested. Move the white table under the window to between the chairs. Lower the clock, Put the cube under the plant and stand under the clock so they are closer. Side panels for the windows in blue. Place the lovely painting on a wall somewhere in the room so you can enjoy it as it is a star.

Irenale Keller thanked sandradclark
  • luvdgreen
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It's a charming room and I think you're on the right track here. The things that "I" would do would be

1. To NOT put anything on the angled wall and paint it green like the rest of the walls.

2. Move the television over the fireplace and get rid of the book case.

3. Put the couch across from the fireplace put the two chairs, one on each side of the fireplace.

4. Hang some pretty (maybe a little bold) panels on the big window and remove the table under the small window.

5. I'd ground all the furniture with a rug incorporating all the colors...mostly the green and blue....and maybe a tad bit of a bright accent color. (red perhaps or bright yellow)

6. Toss some throw pillows on the seating areas that also pull in some color...be sure to match that with the window curtain panels.

1. Add some accent tables so there's a place for someone to place a drink or book if they were sitting in one of the chairs. ...maybe two tables...one on each outer side?

One way to visualize tables, curtains, plants etc is to place some sheets over the windows to pretend they are panels, place boxes where you may want accent tables, grab some pillows off the bed and place those in the chairs (maybe place them inside some colored pillow coverings or just wrap them in a towel of the color you want in there). Put whatever it takes in there to give the "feel" of how you want it BEFORE you go out and buy stuff. Bring in whatever you have that is about the same size/shape and place where you're considering something. Walk through the room and see if it feels too congested or if it flows. Does it feel as if everyone sitting is close enough to feel "cozy" and part of the conversation or does it feel as if everyone is outcast and far away? Place seating where everyone feels "connected" and where one can converse without feeling as if they must speak loudly. By placing a large area rug in the room, it will also pull the pieces together as a separate room. Sure hope that helps some. :) Enjoy your room!...and be bold!! :D

Irenale Keller thanked luvdgreen
  • smmtst
    9 years ago

Please post your results when you are done. Would love to see what you do.

• cleoa
    9 years ago

I haven't read all the comments, but my first thought was the TV and fireplace are competing. I totally agree with luvdgreen's suggestions.

Irenale Keller thanked cleoa
  • Sally Tucker
    9 years ago

Yes, you're right on! The picture is too small and so is the clock for the wall. You had several ideas about a rug to pull all your colors together. You really need that. Also, the table between the two chairs. I'd consider a subtle stripe with the blue, but lighter for your drapes. The reason you're having issue with the painting over the fireplace is because your white t v entertainment center is so large next to the fireplace. I would either antique the white t v center or the fireplace. I wouldn't have them both stark white. Just a thought. You certainly have a lot of them here. It's on it's way to being absolutely beautiful!

Irenale Keller thanked Sally Tucker
  • PRO
    Custom Design Construction & Interiors Inc.
    9 years ago

You've done a great job with color, I would tell you to use a larger horizontal mirror over the fireplace (no white trim though) and consider adding a larger crown moulding in the style of your choosing, it will make an amazing transformation of this space and is very affordable. You have plenty of wall space right now, I would use a larger print to the left of the entertainment center, maybe even a double or triple canvas wrapped print with colors that will compliment your current decor. Consider a print of scenery as it brings the outdoor in and would work with the traditional style of your decor.

Irenale Keller thanked Custom Design Construction & Interiors Inc.
  • Barbara Almandarz
    9 years ago

For your living room, visually you have 3 large white "boxes" all in one area. (Fireplace; bookshelf and coffee table). So it appears out of balance. Consider moving the couch on an diagonal, flanking it on either side with the blue chairs. I'd add two small round end tables and lamps to counter balance your bookcase/fireplace. Something like these.

Can you add a chandelier in front of the fireplace? The picture may be able to stay there if you hang it. The chandelier may help with the sizing issue. I'd also add some tall mirrored accents on the mantel like this.

If you reframe the picture with a museum black frame, it will also help. I would add a small table beneath the window and add some patterned or at least textured panels to the large window. The little white chest with your plant on it looks lost. I wouldn't put anything there. Also, what is on the floor on either side of your fireplace. I'd leave that space empty if possible.

As for the coffee table, I'd put something glass or mirrored there.

As for the angled wall, add an acrylic table and mirror. Add some colorful accents. You might want to introduce another color into the room (take your hint from your picture). Maybe the lavender? do that with some small accents on this table.

The kitchen needs some turquoise (and lavender if you add it to the other room). I'd add bits of color in your window shade above the sink; kitchen towels and floor runner.

Irenale Keller thanked Barbara Almandarz
  • cjay54
    9 years ago

Something as simple as switching out the short candelabra for a taller object, maybe a stylish vase, might balance the area above the fireplace.

Irenale Keller thanked cjay54
  • Margery
    9 years ago

Thanks for describing the TWO different wall colors. One would be enough and it should just recede Why can't readers bother to read the already posted comments and use their heads? You MUST keep the couch where it is, how far from the window wall is not yet determined. Glad to see two others agree with me about PAINTING the ENTERTAINMENT Ctr. Your problems will be 99% solved when you do this! You PLAN to get tables and lamps, this is just a beginning! Do NOT under any circumstances put the TV over the FP. Thanks for describing the 'painting' as a lithograph. (Lithography is the process, your piece is a lithograph or a 'litho' just so you understand. Be happy to describe it to you...grandsturdy410@yahoo.com. I've BEEN a print maker!)

Yours is not a huge room so the pale blue/green analogous color scheme is a good one along with the beige. It lightens the room and makes it seem larger. Do NOT use an area rug, it will just tighten up the space again. Don't do things just because they're popular, do what is right for your space.You DO need to introduce more of the colors and still say drapes are an excellent way, a throw and pillows too. Find some accessories for the Entertainment ctr that also bring in the blue and green and keep it clean and simple, not to cluttered with stuff. You want it to disappear.

If you can move the couch back to give more room and still see the TV from it, those blue chairs might be nice at either end of the ETC and other larger more comfortable ones at either end of the couch, adding more comfortable seating for watching TV for your 'large family'. Swivel chairs would be perfect for there, square to the couch for a more formal look, turned for comfortable TV viewing. In blue! can be darker if practicality is a concern, or a plaid.

You still need drapes and probably something that covers the large window to reduce reflection when watching TV. OR...if you need to keep the couch forward, is there room for 2 chairs and a game table behind it for your chess games? You CAN use an ice pick or the like to punch a hole in a carpet to thread a lamp cord through it to a socket if you do not have floor sockets. It really won't damage the carpet!

A shallow console would fit nicely on that slanted wall. Find another print or painting (a 'litho' is a print not a painting!) with similar colors for that wall. I think a simple mirror might be your answer, rectangular and of a proper scale, for the mantle. Start looking for some drapery fabric asap so you have that as a foundation for the rest. That's important at this stage. I want to see what you do!

Irenale Keller thanked Margery
  • romcfi
    9 years ago

What about using every bit of space on the fireplace wall for paintings. Make that whole wall the focal point and down play the tv cabinet.

Irenale Keller thanked romcfi
  • Joel Paez
    9 years ago
    I believe the Tv should be over the mantle. Also, you might need a bigger piece of furniture to make the room more cosy. And lots more color, plants, accessories, tables, lamps.
    Irenale Keller thanked Joel Paez
  • PRO
    Saari Masonry
    9 years ago
    I would personally rid myself of the painting there. I would frame a small bump out above the mantle, and do a cultured stone. The look of a masonry fireplace does it for me!
    In such a small area, i would be willing to bet you could find a few boxes of natural thin stone veneer for a very good price. Many times your local brickyard will have either extra special orders, or closeouts on smaller lots of stone. I am willing to bet you could call local masonry contractors also, and they would have extra product leftover that they would be willing to part with for a bargain price. I have a journeyman card with the Bricklayers and allied craftworkers, and i have known some owners of masonry outfits to use thousands of dollars of nice brick leftover for backfill! Im talking pallets, and pallets worth just buried and smashed!
    I have been collecting natural stone for projects like this, and it is going to be a major upgrade on my home for a very small price. Mostly free.
    The fireplace would then be an eye catcher when first entering, and a major value increase for your home over a painting.

The photos are all salvaged, or picked stone. First two salvaged natural thin veneer, the third Jacobsville sandstone, and the fourth is a natural picked quartzite.
    Irenale Keller thanked Saari Masonry
  • Patty Scott
    9 years ago

thank you Margery for your correction and clarification of the "painting/ print " issue. It was making my teeth itch every time I had to read something about the artwork and it didn't help alot when the advice seeking Houzzer confused the process of lithography with the lithograph print outcome. This issue comes up all too often on a site that should be more sophisticated and knowledgable.

• shedrivesatruck
    9 years ago

Beautiful room, nice painting! I'd go bigger and higher though. Maybe try a chunky mirror instead?

Irenale Keller thanked shedrivesatruck
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago

Wow, did you get a lot of advice. It seems it is all different as well. Do we have you totally confused yet? Add drapes on the one window. Raise the plant below the clock by adding a very narrow console table on the angled wall & add your beautiful litho above the console table. Just make sure to hang it at about five feet high. Add a sofa table as you asked about with two lamps.

I love the lithograph however It is too small for that area. Find something equally gorgeous, but larger to hang above the fireplace. Also maybe you can try using the small white end table between the blue chairs. Keep the chairs in there, they look very good. Also pull your coffee table to be only 18" from the sofa. Find another place for the clock.

Irenale Keller thanked sandradclark
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago

http://www.touchofclass.com/product.aspx?p=Z295-001&code=AMB08

curtains would be where i would start i dont think the art is too small, i think the walls are too bare. cheat the small window and make it look more centered and larger with curtain placement. lower the clock add a floating shelf or console table there. raise the art over the mantel just a tad. introduce an area rug for some grounding. for the console go with a wood tone similar to the furniture legs, or anything but white. paint your coffee table a gray color maybe.

Irenale Keller thanked flair lighting
  • garycassady
    9 years ago
    He painting is not too small, just too low. The room looks overburdened by the top of the walls and ceiling. You need something to transition to the ceiling.
    Irenale Keller thanked garycassady
  • patriciajeanne
    9 years ago
    Love the sofa and addition of the chess board table which is fun, functional and wood color adds warmth to the room. Patterned curtains like a geometric on both windows would balance the room and add punch. Lamps are needed so sofa table is a great idea for your lighting. So, these are all your ideas and I say fabulous. An idea for your angled wall are framed action photographs of your family on vacation, playing sports, etc or
    Antique black and white family photos. Frame all photos the same. This could be a conversation starter wall.
  • patriciajeanne
    9 years ago
    Haha! Obviously not tech savvy. Did not realize I downloaded those 2 photos on previous comment!
  • kproulx1975
    9 years ago

Hmm, I think the painting is not the issue. I think the overall scale of furniture to room needs to be addressed...everything is small: chairs, sofa, painting, accessories compared to the size of the room. Possibly a bulkier sofa or an oversized area rug may be an option. A larger painting hung on the wall above the fireplace and a larger ceiling light fixture may help to balance the room as well. You may also consider crown moulding along the ceiling to lend vertical balance. Hope it helps.

Irenale Keller thanked kproulx1975
  • neecie1951
    9 years ago

You have a good start as to color and pieces in your room; however, the painting above the fireplace is definitely too small, plus the print of the piece is probably a little small in scale. A larger subject matter would also help give presence to that area. If you add crown moulding in your room, it will raise the eye up and give more visual interest to the room and actually "outline the room" in white to coordinate with your windows and fireplace. Rooms almost always need architectural detail to create more character to your home. Drapes should go at least on your big picture window. I do a lot of staging for friends/family and have some paying clients in my area. I am also a self-taught artist - so color is definitely one of my strong points. I prefer a classic eclectic/collected look (and in my case, that doesn't mean cluttered) and doing organic/neutrals on the walls and furniture and then using pops of color with accessories, pillows, etc. That way, when you want to change your space, it's a matter of tweaking a few things here and there. Another piece of advice: as you have done, always photograph your rooms and you can almost always pick out the trouble spots of your space. For some reason, it's so much harder to be objective when you're actually standing in the room. Photographs give a great perspective!

Irenale Keller thanked neecie1951
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago

how would you feel about painting the entertainment center?

• Margery
    9 years ago

I already suggested painting the entertainment center(EC) way up the line. Painting it the wall color is the ONLY thing that will make it 'go away' and it must disappear! The fireplace is nice and has to stay put, but the EC outweighs it far too much, but it too must stay where it is. It is that elephant in the room! The artwork over the fireplace is not a painting, it is a lithograph and a favorite of the owner. It just needs a different place to rest. It needs to be replaced by something larger be it art work or a mirror and should command attention. Draperies in the cool colors as mentioned before will help pull the eye away from the EC. Painting the EC is such an easy fix! It looks like a utilitarian piece, not a fine piece of furniture so painting it is not a travesty.

• Irenale Keller
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again everybody! This is very useful! I am still debating painting the entertainment center because it would be lots of work and I am not sure it's really going to disappear as a result. Actually the whole point of me getting a white one was to out balance a lot of white on the other side that comes from shutters. The picture doesn't really do justice to that because of the light from the windows, but I tried to do more pictures and I will put them up later. Pictures are good, but sometimes they misrepresent things - for example, the room is actually much smaller than it looks, you can barely walk around the couch and there is no way to put the chairs on the sides of the couch, it's just about 20 inches from the wall of the fireplace. Getting the smaller scale furniture was the whole point to make the room look bigger, so I guess I achieved that because some people say the furniture is too small for such a big room, well it's actually tiny.

I didn't get to move the furniture around over the weekend but I did take more pictures and I will try to photoshop first - will try to color the unit, try to move the bookcases, or just get rid of the top - I think this is the piece that makes it look heavier. Anyways, I will post the pictures as soon as I get to do it, so far I didn't get the time, too much work these weeks. Thanks!

• Margery
    9 years ago

Trust me and others who agree, painting the EC the same color as the walls will be your answer. Sure it's work but not that undo-able! Yes, you've got to sand it down some first but you cannot have two such large pieces fighting eachother for control in such a tiny area. I realized it was tiny. You can't be 'chicken' about this and have it suddenly 'work' for you! You 'd have been better off just buying a low console or just shelving instead of that huge piece, the it's too late now for that. All those shelves and cubbies only make it more distracting; you want as little on that wall as possible so it doesn't fight with the FP. If you're not willing to try, not much else we can do to help.

• Irenale Keller
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, Margery, I didn't say I am not willing to try, I said I'd photoshop it first.

I needed the bookcases for all the books and games we have (family room has to be functional too). I found the narrowest bookshelves possible (can't even hold a big book) so now I just need to find the best place and/or color for them.

• Margery
    9 years ago

Again...I'd really like to help you but can you use the EC in another room? It's time to ADMIT that you made a big mistake buying it if you did that for THIS room. We ALL make mistakes like this and just have to 'eat'em' somehow, Can you SELL it? I haven't checked IKEA since I don't need anything, but could you get an inexpensive couple of low cupboards or bookcases that would fit that space? You might not even need to paint them, but wall color is still the best answer. Keep the TV at eyelevel. You could leave the wall above bare for awhile and maybe start your collection of lithos to eventually hang above the , keeping the collection hung fairly low. Too many people tend to hang photos and artwork too high; too low is better than too high and will make the room seem larger. ECs really are NOT the IN THING now anyway. I have a great contempory one I paid a lot for sitting in my garage. There is not a consignment store in the area that will touch it! They take up too much space and are not wanted now. Good luck selling yours and I hope you'll consider it a 'lesson learned' and move on!

• Irenale Keller
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am considering the option of getting rid of the unit too...But not sure yet what would do instead. Wouldn't the art above TV compete with the focal point of fireplace too? I am also afraid the TV itself is the biggest competitor there because it is another black rectangular and the change will not make a huge difference then, but there is no way I tell my kids - no TV cause it's not good for our focal point :).

Here are a couple of pictures where you can see most of the white shutters (there are more on that side).

• PRO
    Stamps Design Services
    9 years ago

Is the entertainment center one piece or does it come in sections? You could place the bookcases on either side of the fireplace (similar to the two bottom images) and place artwork/photos around the tv (similar to the two images on the top)

Irenale Keller thanked Stamps Design Services
  • PRO
    Stamps Design Services
    9 years ago

You had mentioned adding curtains.......Since you have shutters for privacy, perhaps you could hang stationary curtains to add color pattern and soften the room....

Irenale Keller thanked Stamps Design Services
  • Margery
    9 years ago

I really like the ideas by STAMPS DESIGN. They should help you visualize things better. I especially like the middle one with some art framed in bold black because it helps disguise the TV and I like the low black shelves below. None of that intrudes on the room like the 'monster' does! You could even use that pretty pair of blue chairs now on either side of the fireplace! I hope you can see how much more opened up that area seems without the EC since it shows much more of the wall color and not that MASS of white furniture. I think the couch really needs to go back against the wall so IT doesn't intrude into the room so much. That really contributes to making the room seem smaller than it is.

Is there room on the angled wall for the EC? I now see there seem to be double doors opposite that wall, where do they lead? I've never been certain what goes on in THAT room; is it a dining area or what?

We ALL make mistakes when starting out and sometimes quickly buy a piece before we measure carefully. Yes the Monster fits but look at what it does to the whole space! It is too bad that the windows and those doors all seem to be different sizes, but drapes will help disguise that. Roman shades (be sure to line them!) might be a possible option also. They take far less fabric and if you hung them to the ceiling that would tie things together and even allow a valance over those doors to carry through to the next area without their being functional over the doors. I think you'd need to be able to close them opposite the TV to eliminate reflections during the day and Roman shades would do that well!

We'll just keep plugging away at this! Oh...as to their ideas you really do not have room for book shelves on the sides of the FP but I'm happy to know there are others who really READ and have real books!

• Margery
    9 years ago

I meant the FIRST Stamps ideas, not the ones that slipped in between! Do not like those, sorry!

• aandrews361
    9 years ago
    lowes sells white and gray faux brick backsplash squares_ that would look beautiful around the fireplace and up to the ceiling. put silver can candle holders on either side of a mirror that rest on the mantel.
    Irenale Keller thanked aandrews361
  • Irenale Keller
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Margery, the shutters are really enough, they block all the light when needed, so I do like the idea of panels just for color and hight.

Also, the bookcases are very narrow and would actually fit the spaces to the sides of the fireplace, that is exactly what I want to try and photoshop first. I love that idea, I only worry about their hight, they might look really short by the fireplace.

There is no room for chairs by the fire because the room is not long, I would need to move the tv and the couch out of the room into the kitchen area if I would place the chairs in between.

The couch used to be by the window, I had even bigger problem because it made the room asymmetrical ( the fireplace wasn't in the middle. I attach an old picture to show.

To door goes to patio and there is kitchen nook next. See another picture. Thanks for all the help!
  • Margery
    9 years ago

Thanks for the new info. The couch is MUCH better pushed back in front of the window! The room looks much larger now. There is nothing wrong with asymmetrical, in fact I prefer it. It is much more interesting than matchy/matchy symmetrical. You are never going to make that room symmetrical unless you tear the whole thing down, so learn how to BALANCE asymmetrical space. That's why it is so much more interesting! Think of a sea-saw with a big kid on one end, a small one on the other and how by giving the little kid the longer board, they WILL balance! You do that by using objects to create that balance. Look again at the difference between the top and middle photos from Stamp Design. The top one with symmetrical balance is far more boring than than the middle one with the frames of different sizes and 'visual weights'. This arrangement is balanced but much more interesting and dynamic. You may have to get over the false 'security' you feel by having everything simply equal rather than MADE equal by differences. It is a difference between being oh so safe and secure and stepping out and being really creative! You just have to STEP out! Your room will NEVER be symmetrical so stop trying to rebuild it and go with the flow! Look at how much more interesting the middle mantle is than if it had a rectangle (art or mirror) and a pair of candlesticks at each end! That may be comfortable for you at this point but your room demands that you LEARN to understand and BE comfortable with an asymmetrical set of facts. You will never be happy with your room as long as you keep trying to make it what it is not. YOU will have to create the balance, it is not built in. That's a challenge and when you get it right then the room will be unique and you will see it and be happy and your friends will think you're a genius! Keep trying and learning! My own living room is asymmetrical though it gives the impression that it's not. It was a challenge to get right and oh, the compliments I keep getting! You'll catch on!

• Janie Burton
    9 years ago
    The only thing I would like to see you do with your attractive room is to add an area rug for more definition in your conversation area. To go over carpet, consider choosing a thinner flat weave in a solid color with a banding similar to the sage green of the wall color.
    Irenale Keller thanked Janie Burton
  • smacasa
    9 years ago

In this new batch of photos I see a very calm light area -- not boring or screaming for pops of color. I'm sure family living provides plenty of that! I'd like to see you try your art work on the angled wall, albeit lower than you have the clock. You don't have to fill the wall; less can be more ;-)

We've now seen the couch both against the wall and previously much closer to the fireplace. I'd suggest somewhere in between so you'd have room for a narrow table behind the couch under the window, which could be used for a lamp and/or plants. The coffee table will move forward, but its low profile won't interfere with your view of the fireplace, maintaining an uncluttered feel. I wouldn't be in a hurry to do more until you're truly ready. Take your time. (However, when you do tackle your mantle I'd keep Stamps 3rd image in mind, using your soft palette as its basis. There's a lot in that one photo to inspire your obvious style preference.)

Keep up the good work.

Irenale Keller thanked smacasa
  • Katie Williams
    9 years ago
    Bigger, vertical painting above the fireplace. I agree with others that your walls need to be the same color. Clock is at a decent height but needs a console table underneath. And yes, crown molding would help to tie the fireplace and entertainment center together. Because of all the linear qualities already in the room (especially the closeness of fireplace and entertainment center), I would recommend an oval coffee table instead. Also could use a taller, larger plant between the fireplace and window.
    Irenale Keller thanked Katie Williams
  • Sheila Rumsey
    9 years ago
    Maybe place it off center and balance it with something else? I am partial to mirrors, myself. You could go larger if you want. No to the drapes. Love plantation shutters, and the room has enough going on already. Maybe a rug to anchor the space. Not sure about the console table. You could if you keep it simple and narrow.
    Irenale Keller thanked Sheila Rumsey
  • sheilaskb
    9 years ago

I would suggest you find two matching mirrors, about the same size as the painting, and put one on each side of the painting. I was wondering if this is a faux fireplace or a real fireplace as it seems to compete with the entertainment unit that holds the TV. At any rate, I would suggest you add a matching window at the left of the fireplace so that it will look centered or balanced. It seems the entertainment unit might look better on the opposite wall where you have the double windows. However, would it be possible to enclose the window spaces or separate the windows so that each would flank the unit if placed on that wall? I know this sounds picky and can be a big project, but it would make the room look much better. Of course, you need to consider how the windows relate to the exterior appearance of your home. You have lovely furnishings, but the placement needs to be improved, of course.

Irenale Keller thanked sheilaskb
  • sheilaskb
    9 years ago

After reading a few other posts, I certainly would not recommend painting the entertainment center the same color as the walls. It is a beautiful piece of furniture, and I would keep it as it is. Before selling it or giving it away, I would use it in another room. A family never can have enough storage, and you might be able to install doors to conceal the TV when it is not in use.

Irenale Keller thanked sheilaskb
  • PRO
    Deborah Cullen Interiors
    8 years ago

Wow, you have certainly been given a lot of advice here. I have not read all the comments, so perhaps these are redundant comments. An area rug will do wonders for this space. Without one, the furniture placement looks like several disconnected pieces floating on their own. Look around your home & see what you can "borrow" from other rooms to add to this room & mantle area.

Irenale Keller thanked Deborah Cullen Interiors
  • columbia93
    8 years ago

I'm a Libra and all about balance and symmetry but I really like the way your room opens up with the sofa placed nearer the window wall. It is actually more off balanced the way you have the furniture placed now - feels a bit like it's tipping toward the left! I don't like the blue chairs sitting at the end - they close up the room, visually and physically. If you move the sofa back to that wall, is there room to place one of the chairs in the corner, with the other one angled on the other side of the sofa? I'm also not seeing much in the way of lighting in your LR. You have art over the FP but no light. Ikea has clip on lights and such for art. I have a problem with the frame - I feel it should either be white or needs to darker like the legs of your chair. Your accent wall needs to be repainted or you need to bring the color down into the rest of the room - rug, pillows, curtains. The island in your kitchen - any chance you'd want to paint it to match the chairs? No clock on that wall - look for a large art piece or group or leave it blank. Don't paint the unit. It goes really nicely with all of the other "wood" in the room. Don't add that chess table - wrong color and doesn't really work as an end table.

Irenale Keller thanked columbia93