ldm959

Kitchen Renovation

ldm959
11 years ago
We've come this far with this kitchen reno but Im having trouble deciding on color/type of backsplash for this space. Any suggestions for window curtains? PATTERN ideas welcome!! There is 3 windows in the kitchen.

Comments (62)

• PRO
    Darling Dwelling Designs
    11 years ago
    I love what you've done so far. Very nice! We did a similar style in our kitchen Reno and went with staggered classic white subway tiles and are very happy with the look. The most important thing when installing them is to decide where you want the center to be and build out from there. The small cut tiles are best at the end instead of the center. Just a visual thing that makes a world of difference when it's all done. Here's a look at how ours turned out.
  • Leslie Haney
    11 years ago
    Fabulous and right on trend! This is almost my exact perfect kitchen and I'm envious of the space you have. Agree with the above comment on window treatments, go to the ceiling (or close to it). It will add to the drama of the room. I think a tone on tone subway type tile or stone would be terrific. Something with texture preferably. Nothing too busy nor loud. This is a gracious looking room and the food prepared will be the center piece. Are you doing something in the middle like a island or table? You look to have the space and it's certainly nice when all the people youre hosting show up in the kitchen with you. Careful with the use of too much stainless, can make the warmth of the stone counter tops look industrial. Good luck, you've made a great space elegant.
  • PRO
    KP Renovations
    11 years ago
    I think I would do a stainless steel tile backsplash with glass inlay (the small tiles) and use the end wall as your accent wall with the pattern larger and on the diagonal. I would also take the upper cabinets to the ceiling with crown moulding.
  • PRO
    Shannon Kirby Interiors
    11 years ago
    I think you might want to add color to the backspash instead of a white subway to reflect other colors you used in other parts of the house. A simple great trick is to use sheet of glass painted on the reverse- no grout or seams and easy to clean. Glass can withstand the heat from the cooktop too. The added bonus is when you tire of the color, simply remove the glass, remove the old paint and repaint!
    I definite see either mock romans or operating ones installed to the ceiling to add height. A pattern would be fun and bring warmth to the kitchen.
  • tudormomb
    11 years ago
    The kitchen in my new home is similar: white cabinets, light granite, stainless appliances. If you do subway tile, don't do white; it's boring and overwhelming. I have green glass tiles which I loved the first time I saw them. Images attached...
  • PRO
    KP Renovations
    11 years ago
    Stainless steel tile I am doing shortly for a customer. Forgot to attach on my other comment.
  • Colleen Tracey
    11 years ago
    Vogue Bay has the prettiest glass tile back splashes I have EVER seen. There is one called Fliicker that woudl be perfect!
  • vkrm1101
    11 years ago
    White subway tiles..for sure.
  • Ann Eagles
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    love the stainless steel backsplash idea above. and metallic paint if there is wall that needs painting (different color than backsplash ..like red metallic or something bold that coordinates with other rooms (Deep Blue? Copper?
  • martipat
    11 years ago
    Or a light gray subway tile, it would add some depth and color. What color did you paint you cabinets? They really look great with the marble...
  • PRO
    Interiors By Holly
    11 years ago
    I agree with going with a white marble or you could use white beveled subway if price is an issue. A 2 x 8 or 1 x 2 would make for a more interesting look than a 3 x 6. I recommend that you go up to the ceiling with the tile for a fluid look.
  • PRO
    Elizabeth Minish Design
    11 years ago
    Lovely job so far. For heaven sake, don't ruin this timeless classic approach by doing ANYTHING busy or colourful (even as an accent) in the backsplash. White subway definitely (matte or gloss, your pick) and don't go too dark on the gray grout. Your marble is subtle. You don't want to overpower it.

The other great thing about subway is that it is inexpensive enough to allow you to go right up to the ceiling on that wall with the lovely stainless range hood. Glass could be lovely, but it's expensive and will date. As will finger tile or mosaic in any material.

Another suggestion for window coverings would be woven wood roman shades to pick up the wood tone and level of casualness from your rustic floors.
  • smldesigns
    11 years ago
    You've had some great suggestions, but I think I vote for subway tile - maybe handmade or beveled. Over the range I would do the tiles on a diagonal brickwork surrounded by a long narrow trim piece (can't remember the correct term). I think you will need to add punches of color and fabric or natural items. Maybe you could use natural woven shades inside the windows (the color of your hardwood?). I have seen some gorgeous kitchens with glass and/or metallic tiles and the are gorgeous, but may be viewed as trendy. If you're a more contemporary decorator, then they would work. If you are thinking traditional or resale, subway is the way to go. One more thing - I hope you have under the counter lighting to show off the back splash.
  • momsy
    11 years ago
    Oh man, I am soooo in love with your kitchen, Really really nice job.
  • PRO
    Mint Design
    11 years ago
    I suggest you consider stainless or marble for the backsplash and take it to the ceiling where there are no cabinets. If you do not need privacy I recommend you leave the windows bare. You will need some task lighting, under the uppers and over the sink.. Hope this helps. :)
  • tgrady
    11 years ago
    What a lovely kitchen! You could go with the gray/white tiles that others have suggested, or white subways, but is there a color that makes your heart sing? A color you love to live with? Is it sufficient for you to have color in the window treatments and accent pieces (and that is perfectly ok!)? A dark color (deep red ? cobalt blue? eggplant?) would add a lot of drama to the space, while the lighter colors (gray or white, or the light green mentioned above) would create quiet elegance. So many choices, but it is really up to what you love and the atmosphere you want to create. Don't be afraid to step out of the box!
  • PRO
    Inside The Box Design
    11 years ago
    If this is your "forever" house or at least for (15 years) I would be creative. Work with a seasoned professional who will take all of your home into consideration to bring unity and cohesiveness it. I would keep the lines simple and clean, but consider something unique. Reach beyond trendy, that you see repeated everywhere. Because the cabinets and top are both very light , I would low on the wall consider going darker, and I would add a fun wall paper to the back wall inside of the glass fronted cabinets. A stripe would awesome.
  • eckjunebug
    11 years ago
    I would consider taking your tile all the way up the wall, on the wall where your oven and two windows are. If you pick a neutral tile (white subway), I think it would help disguise the asymmetry there.
  • rjj987
    11 years ago
    What a beautiful kitchen! I would consider taking a beveled Arabesque tile up part of the wall, and painting the top portion of the wall a nice warm color. I'm attaching a link to a kitchen that I thought resembled yours. Here is a link, and I also uploaded a photo for you to see. http://www.decorpad.com/photo.htm?photoId=94444&currentPage=0&index=3&relatedPhotoId=
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Try Country Curtains for valances. See one attached. Would try to keep the windows open as much as possible and not covered too much. Nice reno!
  • User
    11 years ago
    As someone else suggested, pale green glass subway tile would be divine in this kitchen.
  • PRO
    JMittman Designs
    11 years ago
    Mock romans or a soft cornice would be appropriate on these windows. You don't have a ton of space, you want something with clean lines, not fussy. Love your countertops!
  • PRO
    Interiors by Nicole
    11 years ago
    I agree with eckjunebug. Tile all the way up the wall. You wight want to bring home some tile of different sizes to see how each will work with your asymetrical layout. Small tile like mosiac might balance each side of the hood where a big tile might highlight it. Also, the windows on either side are not the same. Try to put a flower pot or canisters in front of the window to hide/balance the difference. I love the floor and your choices. It's very similar to what I picked. Good luck.
  • PRO
    Mineral Tiles
    11 years ago
    How about a Glass Mosaic Tile blended with Carrara marble? Or since the floor is black you could use a white and black/charcoal glass mosaic tile in 1x1 or brick pattern.
  • R K
    11 years ago
    Just my opinion, but I think those glass tiles look good - but will look dated in a few years.
  • PRO
    A&E RENOVATIONS
    11 years ago
    Very nice. You could go with a nice crown design on the upper ceiling and add some recessed lights and under cab lights to bring out the ambiance. Also for backsplash .. I definitly would go with subway tiles in mop cream or white.
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    Just thinking outside the box a little bit. I made a quick mock up of the room with some more vertical subway tiles. Kinda fun! If you would like to see it with some different tile just let me know! its an easy room to mock up. =) Enjoy your new kitchen!
  • bubblyjock
    11 years ago
    Wow, Kitchen Art of New England - way to put your money where your mouth is, as the saying goes!

It's all too easy to slap generic images of the tile-du-jour into a Houzz discussion and call yourself a designer, but that is virtually useless, as most of us fail hopelessly at trying to imagine those tiles writ large in our own living spaces. A scant inch of white subway tiles flat on your iPhone or your laptop screen does not a realistic kitchen wall make.

I really admire that you boldly go where (almost) no designers have gone before, and create a realistic mock-up using the OP's real-life photos: can't argue with that, it's fabulous, and I wish more so-called designers would give it a go!

(er, you wouldn't like to share your genius image-editing skill, would you?!)
  • smldesigns
    11 years ago
    Agree with the person who mentioned the "forever" house. If that's what it is, then you can go with something other than subway, but if not or you're really a traditional/transitional person stick with subway, but I think subway up the whole wall would be too much. Leaving some wall exposed will give you a chance to add some color, a collection of plates or other accents.
  • smldesigns
    11 years ago
    Another thought - you might want to add crown molding to the top of the cabinets to finish them off nicely. If you decide to go with shades -be they natural woven or fabric roman, make sure you tell them that the windows are close together so the folds on one window line up with the folds on the other. If you like the shade idea and you like your window trim, I would do an inside mount.
  • rjj987
    11 years ago
    I wouldn't worry about the windows not being balanced. I would put a nice big stoneware container to the left of the cooktop to hold cooking utensils, a spice rack, or a whimsical piece of art (chicken, rooster, chef, etc. that would fit your style). I would also put a canister set in front of the left window, to conceal the obvious difference of the two windows.
  • Leslie Haney
    11 years ago
    http://www.housebeautiful.com/kitchens/dream/glossy-white-kitchen-1212#slide-7
    here's an example of stainless subway tile. You're on trend!
  • PRO
    Transforming Rooms
    11 years ago
    Yes! Great question - because something above the windows will take your room over the top! They will fill in the gap between the top of the window and the crown molding. There are lots of ideas & before/after photos of window treatments on these two sites

http://www.transformingrooms.com - kitchen section, color transformation section, and window treatment section

http://www.Interiordesigngreensboro.com - just type "window treatment ideas photos" in search box

You kitchen is going to look amazing once you add some nice clean valances! Nice and tailored, let the textures & colors do the talking, nothing fru fru. My compliments to your kitchen renovation!
  • Joanne Jean
    11 years ago
    Sorry, plain white subway tile with grey grout would be boring. Go for a nice mosiac in Carerra marble, it would be gorgeous.
  • supersweet11526
    11 years ago
    Go on spoonflower.com there are all sorts of fabrics that might fit for your windows
  • PRO
    Aspen & Ivy
    11 years ago
    Check out this image for inspiration. A classic/timeless marble subway tile would work beautifully with the marble counter.
  • PRO
    Montgomery Communications
    11 years ago
    random thoughts:

what other colors are in the rest of the house? you will want the colors to flow from room to room.

best advice i have ever heard is to go to your closet and pull out your favorites.
    are they solids or prints?
    is there a palette that you find there?

do you gravitate towards warm colors or cool?

is there a painting you adore?

many have spoken to whether this or that will be classic or go out of style -- face it, no matter what you choose, it will go out of style. LOL

I vote ease of cleaning trumps everything. I have found stainless amazingly hard to keep nice.

what you choose will have to be pulled from the floor color -- fortunately, there are a lot of shades of a lot of colors there.

what do you think of beadboard on the wall, part of the way up?
  • momsy
    11 years ago
    Are window treatments even necessary? It is such a beautiful classic form, fabric seems distracting.
  • bdennison
    11 years ago
    White subwat tile with a row of 1" glass tile in grays/blacks to dress it up.
  • bdennison
    11 years ago
    Definately meant "subway"
  • Sara Parker
    11 years ago
    One of my clients used red subway tile to great effect in an otherwise monochrome kitchen. Put a herb garden in a window box in front of that too long window. Make sure a tray keeps moisture off the counter top.
  • Sara Parker
    11 years ago
    One of my clients used red subway tile to great effect in an otherwise monochrome kitchen. Put a herb garden in a window box in front of that too long window. Make sure a tray keeps moisture off the counter top.
  • Sara Parker
    11 years ago
  • Sara Parker
    11 years ago
    One of my clients used red subway tile to great effect as a backsplash in an otherwise monochrome kitchen. Put a herb garden in a window box in front of that too long window. Make sure a tray keeps moisture off the counter top.
  • katesink
    11 years ago
    Wow Kitchen Art of New England! I was going to suggest carrera in a herringbone pattern but I like your picture better! @Sara Parker Not sure red would work here with white cabinetry and a black floor.
  • ccwatters
    11 years ago
    First photo is michael s smith...... " Gilt Collection". Ann Saks
    website.
    Still, neutral, but SO pretty. Really think this would be gorgeous in your kitchen.

[houzz=
    Shingle Style- Kitchen · More Info
    ]

Second photo is a glass tile. Not sure of the specific brand, but I have seen similar tiles at high end tile houses as well as Home Depot/Lowes (clearly not the exact same ones, but another option). The white grout really makes them pop, and if you wanted some color, this would be an option. I really wanted to do this in my kitchen, but in the end decided on standard white subways, with soft gray grout for some definition and warmth. I knew I could accent with color in other ways on the countertop (a colored pitcher, tiny windowsill picture, etc), and have the luxury of changing those accents as the years go by if I choose.

[houzz=
    kitchen and baths · More Info
    ]

The third photo shows a very subtle color, all the way to the ceiling. Just another option. I believe you can find a similar tile through Walker Zanger. The actual tile in this photo, however, is apparently discontinued per the discussions.

[houzz=
    San Jose Res 2 · More Info
    ]

Fourth photo is of white subway with gray grout. Some may argue it's boring. I think it's timeless. Again, you can accent with color on your countertop in other ways. It can also be very affordable!
    [houzz=
    East Side Eden · More Info
    ]The last picture is my cottage kitchen, white subway with soft gray grout. Pardon the real-life clutter ;) Thought it may help to see an "unstaged" photo. My tile was 23 cents per tile from Lowes (the Home Depot tile had the wrong tone in it to match my cabinets).

Good luck! Very pretty kitchen!
  • houzyadoin
    11 years ago
    Consider a small farmhouse/factory industrial pendant. One that has a small metal wide shade with an old fashioned bulb to see. Or stay with light or clear colored transparent glass - glass pendants. Either a fabric flat fold shade from ceiling down or very simple old fashioned fabric roller shade just inside the window. Also in the corner upper cabinets. Do you plan to add a wine bottle cubbies. Looks to be the space it be used for or an added vertical column trim piece. Enjoy your new space! Looks the physical hard work is done. Thanks!
  • PRO
    Mineral Tiles
    11 years ago
    Just want to share an image of the modern brick glass tile installed on a kitchen backsplash (this was actually done with photoshop so the real result would be better, but it gives an idea)
  • 4701kalm
    8 years ago

I love the cool simplicity of your kitchen. I do not use a backsplash and seal the corian/painted area using a few accessories (no appliances) to soften the look. High performance, ceramic infused paint. I cook a lot and do not have a problem with wiping up the area behind the drop in stove. A very clean, contemporary look. Very reasonable and very changeable as my taste changes. I think subway tile is overdone and to me is reminiscent of old time public WCs and yes, subway walls. Perhaps in larger glass tiles or custom sheets of tile? Am not a fan of busy, high contrast backsplashes as a kitchen has enough going on without complicating its visuals.

• 4701kalm
    8 years ago

Me again. I like what you have done with your kitchen. No need for moulding. Go with YOUR gut feeling about what pleases YOU!!! I like the window to the left. It is your kitchen, not some matchy/matchy rendition by a mass market contractor. Have to say, it has clean lines and is serene. Happens to be my style but then we have moved often and the kitchens I have redone similarly to yours, have been a major plus in selling our houses quickly. Love all the drawers.