shweta10

Need help with my living room

Shweta Malhotra
10 years ago
Hi , we moved in our new house year ago ,I am still not done with finishing my living room .i bought this sectional ,coffee table ,and side tables .i am looking to change the coffee table and add the finishing touch in my living room . Need help!!!!! Please advice on ideas for the blank wall in front of sectional ,wall Decors ,kind of coffee table and window treatments ( I have a bay window ) .

Comments (138)

• Shweta Malhotra
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I hope it gives you a bit clearer idea about shape of my living room
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Get smaller chairs than the one you have and play with their placement around the end of the sectional till you have a cozy conversation area with room for passage behind the chairs. You need three feet behind the chairs and if the room is 13' wide, I think you can do it with an arrangement like that below:
  • Shweta Malhotra
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Will try this one , and will post pics ..
    Thanks again .
  • Shweta Malhotra
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi , so I tried putting this sectional in every way .... Nothing is working :( will continue to look for smaller accent chairs.
    Is there any rule for size of the rug ? I don't wanna buy too big ... What's the minimum I need ?
  • Lainie D'Eon
    9 years ago
    Ahha .. moment.. now I can see the problem!! In the 1st pics that you have shown.. the sectional goes so close to the entryway wall that with 2 chairs facing the sectional they would be not making a corner with that end of the sectional but be protruding into the seating space of that end of sectional Most likely with grover's last suggestion the chair towards the window will do the same. Wow, this sectional sure is giving you some grief.. is it possible to sell it & give yourself an "easier" solution? Please, don't even think about a rug until the furniture placement is resolved.
  • Shweta Malhotra
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    You are right Leona ... But this two walled living room ( as third side is entrance ) will give me an issue to make a conversational area . I was playing around with the ottoman and bench I had at home . Let me know what u think , I can look in to accent ottoman or bench on third side ????
    Please advice ??
  • Lainie D'Eon
    9 years ago
    I love moving furniture .. but don't do photoshop ..YET.
    Your room is long & narrow so need to shorten the arrangement to make it look more square. How many people would you need to seat in this room?

If you are up for it I have some suggestions that may give you an idea for layout.

#1 - In reality there will never be room to place furniture in the spot in front of the entryway opening.

#2 - look at the floor plan & take a walk through from entryway opening to the dining area.. Your pathway will probably be close to the wall where the metal decor is now.

#3 - Now for a very strange request.. would you remove the corner piece of the sectional.. then pull the right piece to the left so that it touches the longer piece to the window side. This will shorten the length of the sectional & make more room for the pathway.

#4 - then take that sectional piece & put it where that brown chest is now.

Put some towels or rags under the feet of the sectional as I know they can be very heavy & don't want scratches on that floor!

This would not be the furniture of choice but would give you an idea space wise.
  • Shweta Malhotra
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Great thinking Leona ... Got my project for tonight :)) will keep u updated.thanks a lot .
  • Lainie D'Eon
    9 years ago
    Welcome!.. like I say don't know till you try!
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Try this:
  • Shweta Malhotra
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @ groveraxle ... Looks so good . Will try this one ;)
  • Shweta Malhotra
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Still playing around :)))
    Please advice !!!!
  • Shweta Malhotra
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @ Leona and Groveraxle ... Does it look any better ???? So these two armless chairs will be replaced with either 2 sitter sofa and two right and left arm chairs ... Is it going in right direction ???
  • sondramartina
    9 years ago
    Are you keeping the tufted chair? It looks disproportional and off with your sectional .
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    Do not buy another sofa......see how hard they are to arrange around? Two chairs in that window will be perfect!!! Lower ones to not block the view and even swivel ones if you want to turn and look out the window.
  • tlparks
    9 years ago
    I haven't read through all this dilemma, but would like to make a couple of comments. I think this most recent setup is a much better arrangement. There is a LOT of brown in the room. I would like to see another coffee table and a softer color for wall hanging and pillows and an area rug. Good luck. Will be following to watch progress. :)
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    shweta, your very last arrangement is the best. I didn't realize you could reconfigure that sectional to make it a regular sofa. Yes, you are definitely going in the right direction.

Now, listen to abbyjean and tlparks. Replace the two armless chairs with chairs that are lower and not brown.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Here are some chair possibilities: the tulip chair from West Elm, and my new obsession, the Pennie chair from Crate and Barrel.
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I think lighter looking chairs in front of the window will make the art be great over that couch you just made there. Orange pillows tie it in and lighter chairs will, too. Notice the new coffee table lightens the room up a bunch.
  • Shweta Malhotra
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks everyone ... Will continue my shopping .slowly .... But def moving forward with everyone 'a help .special thanks to groveraxle for her Photoshop skills , it really helping me a lot .
  • Shweta Malhotra
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I am still waiting to go for shopping for those chairs by the window .
    In the mean time I wanted to buy a rug .... I am confused here .please advice ...???
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    The rugs are all way too small. It needs to be big enough to put the front feet of all the furniture on the edge. Your rug needs to be 3-4 feet longer and 3-4 feet wider. I like the green trellis pattern if it were big enough.
  • Larisa Blum
    9 years ago
    Chiming in really late, but I actually like the sofa configuration the way that you started. Because your round coffee table echoes a Tunisian serving tray or Ethiopian platter, I would continue with a middle eastern theme by getting a Persian rug in a classic pattern. As far as art on the wall, I see some tapestry or something woven framed with a linen mat bordering it. Either that or a super modern print. The one you have up now is too saturated. I am thinking of something like a Matisse cutout...
    Here's an overdyed red rug that's modern but winks at classic... http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/nuLOOM-Handmade-Wool-Transitional-Patchwork-Overdyed-Red-Rug-7-6-x-9-6/8282942/product.html?refccid=ZGRKQJCLPYX2WJKMYD42ITFDOM&searchidx=4.
    Here's a framed tapestry, but I think the white mat should be a lot bigger proportionally.
    http://www.crateandbarrel.com/antique-cloth-wall-art/s655149?a=1552

Here's a sample of a more minimalist style for art, but not that you should go for a poster... http://www.urbanloftart.com/matisse-85158/blue-nude-i-art-print.htm?source=GoogleAdwords&ad=P85158_GoogleShopping&gclid=CJnhnImCpsACFYqBfgodFrQA5w
    This would give the room a more international look. Good luck!
  • PRO
    blu interior Design
    9 years ago
    Definately the one with the darker pattern
  • Shweta Malhotra
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I got this one from Marshall's ... Not sure if they have bigger size . This one is 5.3x7.6 , so u think 7x9or 8x10 will be good enough ??
  • barney63
    9 years ago
    Crate and Barrel has a good selection of furniture and the senior staff provide advice. Also West Elm has many things - lamps and chairs. I am having sofa made like the chair from C&B - here is an example of two tables they sell. I just got two standing lamps from West Elm - sorry about the messy table.
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    Measure how much you need to add on to the rug you like to make the furniture fit on the edge of it. Then you will know the size to shop for. You will be amazed at how much different the room feels once you have a rug that fits the space.
  • Shweta Malhotra
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Sounds good !!
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    I hate to break it to you, but if that rug is a bit less than 6 x 8, you probably need a 9 x 12. An 8 x 10 will be barely as long as your couch.

I like the new sofa configuration a lot, BTW. Removing that corner piece has really opened up the space. It now looks like a comfortable space for conversation instead of a waiting room. ;-)
  • Shweta Malhotra
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks groveraxle ... With all the help from houzzer's I am enjoying this and I am going in right direction ;)
    Big thanks to you for your photo shop skills , without that I would have never change the furniture placement .
    A dumb question .... How high up should I hang the art ? What's the rule ?
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    I am so anxious to see that art hung and bet you are anxious to get it hung so you can sit comfortably again. I am going to say 6-8 inches above the back of the couch. Do not have a huge space in between the pieces, either. More math....aim for 3/4 of the space to be covered and not the entire couch. Hoping grover gives you numbers, too, and that I am close???? I am still learning, too.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    abbyjean got it right. About like this:
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    And that's also about the size your rug should be.
  • Shweta Malhotra
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Sounds perfect ... I am looking forward ... Will post pics .
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    Can't wait. You have to feel better pounding in the nails now.
  • Shweta Malhotra
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    It's postponed till Tommorow :(
  • Shweta Malhotra
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I like this chair , not sure if it will go with my living room . Any recommendations????it is blue color . I can always change the pillow and don't have rug yet.
    Please advice ....
  • barney63
    9 years ago
    No that chair dies not sync with your leather sectional- style too formal and blue too dark. Sorry
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    I agree with barney. Look at lighter colors.
  • Shweta Malhotra
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Should it be leather only ???
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    I do not think they need to be leather. Just low and light. Think grover posted nice ones on August 7. Aim for something like this.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Actually, it would be better if the chairs were NOT leather. You've already got more than enough leather in the space.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    This would be perfect:
    Pennie Chair · More Info
  • barney63
    9 years ago
    The low blue ones from ?Crate and Barrel would look great!
    Here is an example of a cushion that would work well with the leather sofa
  • Shweta Malhotra
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Sounds good groveraxle .... I will show it to my husband and will place an order .
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    barney, that cushion and the blue chairs are both great, except they don't go with the art.
  • buddha7979
    9 years ago
    Leather sofas can really dominate the room and can give an overall cold feeling. I would add some earthy elements, like a wood coffee table with glass or metal. Go to Restoration Hardware's website and look at their sofa room scenes. And I'm sorry I think the art is too harsh for the room. That's all your eye goes to in the room. too overpowering. I would look for something softer or maybe a cool mirror and I would add color to the room with pillows and some colorful lamps. I also think woven blinds would look great. They add warmth and give a finished look. The color of your window treatments should contrast your wall color a bit, not match it or else it starts to look generic and blah.. You have warm walls, warm floors and the woven blinds, like Hunter Douglas brand would pull it all together for you.
  • barney63
    9 years ago
    I think the art needs to change - here is an example.
  • Shweta Malhotra
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for all the suggestions .... I will have to keep the art . Also so far I have been getting compliments for it from the friends and family . I will try to calm it down with the Rugs and pillow and may be with other two chairs and cocktail table .
  • Pooh Rohit
    6 years ago

The wall decor ...Cushions and curtains need some colour and would be great if all three are the same color pallete