tantan02

Need help with living room

tantan02
10 years ago
I have a longish living room with very high (20+ foot) ceilings. We tried to give a contemporary feel with a south East Asian flair for the room. We have a dark grey sectional and a red floral rug picked out. Any suggestions on the kind of artwork (for above the sofa) and curtains throw cushions to get for the room?

Comments (79)

• tantan02
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks a lot ann! The love seat is usually placed that way! The position in the picture must be the doings of my toddler. I did think about putting a square table in the corner between the couch and the love seat, but it felt too 'expected'. I am planning however to flip this whole arrangement (the sectional's ottoman goes near the fireplace and the loveseat faces the fireplace. Talking of fireplace, let me put all your hair fire worries to rest by assuring you that we never use the fireplace. ( it is too high in my opinion, so that facade needs a redo to make it a contemporary gas burning fireplace before we can start using it).
  • Related Discussions

Need help for living room

Q

Comments (1)
    I am so sorry that some builder had no sense. Can you just cover them with art? One big piece to cover all three? Or a big one and two smaller ones? Can't really tell without pictures.
    ...See More

need help for living room

Q

Comments (0)
    i have cream painted walls and carved sofa set which i am planning to change its fabric but i am completely clueless about what color to pic for sofa curtains and cushions please help i want to make it look lively.
    ...See More

Need Help for Living room and Dinning room Design

Q

Comments (2)
    For the dining room, I think I'd orient the table 90 degrees from how it's drawn, and I would make it a drop leaf or gateleg table so that it can be made smaller when not being used for dining. I would embrace the idea that the entry is right in the middle of the living room, and bring the living room furniture out towards the fireplace so the fireplace is connected to the seating area. Maybe TV above fireplace. In that back corner where the sofa is drawn, I'd make that a small work/office space.
    ...See More

Need help with living room

Q

Comments (1)
    Hello, I painted the living room (5.30x5.30) using a beige and brown paint for the wall behind the sofa and beige for the others. My sofa is a white chester. I also have a dark brown armchair (if it's not good in the context, I can move it to another room). My dilemma is the TV unit wall that I will have to put for the opposite wall, what color should it be? White or another color? Help me to also choose a carpet, a table and what you consider beautiful or necessary to insert. I thank you in advance for your suggestions.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    What about placing the loveseat opposite the sofa in the last photo above. A console table behind it.
  • tantan02
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Groveraxle, your Gregory Colbert pics gave me a wonderful inspiration to make different size b/w prints of our Asia pics to put up on one of the walls!! Thanks for that :) he definitely has some stunning images. Lb interiors, coming of spring is beautiful! I love how it incorporates the colors from my rug, sectional and the walls, but I share studio 10001's view - will it be too much red? Love the suggestion of blinds esp washi blinds. Think I could pair them up with some beige sheer/ georgette or organza single panels. Will definitely move Buddha elsewhere, maybe even move the double dragon congklak set.
  • tantan02
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Lb, that might not work, since I have arched entrance to the kitchen there! Will upload a pic of the opposite wall.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I don't think the Asian art is too much red. It has a good balance of colors. I think you will want something with enough red in the room to balance the amount of red in the rug. Otherwise, you will see the rug as the immediate focal to the room and your eye will get stuck on the rug : )
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Yes, I would like to see the kitchen area in relationship to your room. Thanks.
  • PRO
    deiman
    10 years ago
    Can somebody shut up that cassie taplin up bla bla bla if u r trying to sell just sell dont force opinion n u have the same lame excuse in every dilemma blaaaaah
  • tantan02
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Groveraxle, what program are you using to make the amazing renditions of various ideas? Thanks to all who take time to make these images :) I'm floored
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    10 years ago
    I have some oversized canvas prints that might look good on that wall.

Posting some for ideas. Let me know if interested - the super-large ones are not listed anywhere but available.

Enjoy decorating!
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    tantan, I use Photoshop Elements for the renderings.
    tantan02 thanked groveraxle
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Sure, Cassie. Go ahead and download a print, enlarge it to, oh, say, 8 x 10--not too large--and print it on your inkjet. You'll find it won't be worth framing. The prints you buy start out at very high resolutions and are printed on finely calibrated printers that make high quality reproductions. Don't try this at home.

As for asking artists to sell only originals, you are asking them to starve for a principle you embrace. If no artists sold prints, much LESS art would be sold around the planet because, frankly, originals are not in the budget for many.

I welcome the explosion of high quality prints. It allows more people to put art they love on their walls while at the same time, makes it possible for more artists to actually make a living and avoid starvation.
  • PRO
    deiman
    10 years ago
    Blaah blah cassie again just ignore ha Grov!!!
  • Stephanie Giuliano
    10 years ago
    Groveraxle I love the red flowers. what is that?
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Stephanie, the red flower wall sculpture is here: http://www.artfulhome.com/product/Ceramic-Wall-Art/Poppies/86981
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    I think some kind of organic wall sculpture would look great on your wall.
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    I agree - the various sculptures are great on that wall and for that room!
  • KD
    10 years ago
    Because artists don't create art out of nothing? They spend time and materials on it. Most of the time original art prices don't even reflect the amount of time spent on the work - if the artist even paid him or herself minimum wage for time spent making a piece, the price would be a lot higher.

Not to mention the cost of things like studio space and easels and brushes that the artist has to invest in.
  • Stephanie Giuliano
    10 years ago
    Thanks groveraxle love that
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    It is so cheap to parade, period.
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    You make my point for me. Thank you.
  • KD
    10 years ago
    Do you have any idea how much things like brushes and easels and canvases and studio space rental and paints and other supplies cost? Or what the production process for a piece of work actually is? One piece of artwork (and we're just talking paintings here) can be the result of days of sketching and studying and experimenting with technique. All of that is time in which the artist is not able to do anything else to earn money - work a second job, take an active role in marketing herself, handle sales and shipping for previous works that have sold, etc.

Plus that's not counting any possible expenses the artist might have from anything educational they've done - art school, business school (not a bad idea for artists, to take some business classes,) trips to study important artworks in person, etc. And of course they have the normal living expenses like food, housing, family needs, taxes, healthcare. If they want to sell prints so that they make a little more money for each piece of artwork, more power to them. If you don't like prints, you don't have to buy them! You can buy the original piece!

(And most artists I know personally who sell prints don't sell endless numbers of everything. I suppose they might sell an image or two to some of the websites now where they do sell a lot of prints, but that also gets their art and name out there into the world and means more people are aware of their work and might come looking for an original work. But many prints are still limited run - the artist will only print so many of them, be it 50 or 100 or 1000, and you are informed of that as a buyer and the print you get is numbered. So there's only one original piece and then a limited number of prints per artwork. That isn't exactly flooding the market. Those limited run prints don't have the same value as the original, but they still retain value over time.)

It's not like there's some hidden benefit to artists suffering endlessly for their art - stress is actually detrimental to creativity. If there's an artist whose work I like, I'd prefer that they were able to make a sensible living off of that work without killing themselves doing it so that I can continue to keep purchasing their work. (And without the artist having to stop making art in favor of getting a "real" job because the art isn't paying the bills, which happens far too often.)

Finally, if you are advocating finding images online and printing them without any sort of agreement with the person who owns the rights to that image, I hope you're aware that what you're doing is actually theft. Some classic images may now be in the public domain and free to use, but anything that's being created now is automatically copyright the creator of the artwork and unless they have released it under a specific license that says you don't have to pay for a copy, or through something where you're buying the right to use the image in some other way (like via subscription services) then they should at least be contacted to find out what, if any, compensation they would like in exchange for you printing out the image and using it in your home.

(And be aware that not all artists will be okay with you self-printing - once the work is hung up as an example of that person's work, any issues associated with printing the image like bad color reproduction or other printing glitches will reflect poorly on the ARTIST, because no one will stop to think about whose fault it is that it doesn't look as nice as it could. They may offer to print it for you instead - and they may even be having prints done in the same way that you would do it - but the key is that before they give the piece to you, they have final say over if they feel it accurately represents them and their work. If you grab an image from online and print it out and slap it up, the artist has no chance at all to approve the quality of the reproduction that you are displaying as their work.)
  • KD
    10 years ago
    If it is for free and completely legal then it is being released in a way that I addressed in my post: "unless they have released it under a specific licenses which says you don't have to pay for a copy" - most legitimate free sites will have details on that licensing agreement somewhere or another on the site, although it is often hidden where you have to go looking for it, rather than on the page with all the pretty pictures.

And if you think a print is nothing more than a poster, then I can only assume that you don't know the process that goes into making a properly high quality print, and that presumably you also don't think photographers are artists at all because essentially everything they might sell for display is a print. I suppose with a film camera you could technically hang up a negative, but that'd be a pretty tiny picture. And many photographers use digital now, so there isn't even a negative - it's all prints.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Thanks so much Pirate, for your wonderful time consuming comments. As an artist of sorts, my sentiments exactly.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    It is not worth anyone's effort and time to explain ourselves!
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    Guys, there is a little button at the bottom right of everyones post. I too am very sorry that our tolerant and creative community is being hijacked for solely commercial / soapbox purposes. Use your buttons instead of your posts wherever you see it and it will stop.
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    10 years ago
    Out of respect to Tantan02, can we please stop the art discussion on her question? I'm the artist the initial jab was taken at, and I'm not reacting to it. Let's leave it alone and get back to Tantan's questions please. She had a lot of good suggestions put on the table for her, but the discussion took a 90 degree turn into something she didn't ask for. Thanks everyone.
    tantan02 thanked Shoa Gallery
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    10 years ago
    Fine. Back to Tantan's question please.
  • KD
    10 years ago
    Actually, the only reason I commented was because so many people devalue the efforts of artistic professionals - from artists who create paintings to photographers to other craftspeople to folks like the design professionals on this site - and it is important to realize that what you are paying for is not just slapping some paint on a canvas ("you can buy those yourself at the craft store!") or gathering together photos from online ("I can do that too, it's called Pinterest!") but rather education, skill, experience, and the need to make some kind of sensible living doing their job.

In addition, many people are totally unaware of concepts like copyright and think it is perfectly okay to download any image they like and use it how they see fit, and a surprising number of them are upset to learn that what they have been doing is, in fact, not actually okay at all, because they don't WANT to be stealing from the artist and didn't realize that what they were doing was a form of theft. So hey, maybe someone learned something from my comments, I dunno. (Btw, folks, you do not need to register your copyright to have it. Copyright is yours the moment you create anything that is covered by copyright. Registering just potentially makes it easier to defend your copyright if someone tries to steal your work.)
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    One last comment. It's not just about hearing opposing opinions, it has a 'lot' do about 'how an opinion is stated'.
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    Thank you, HOUZZ.
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    Tantan - regarding color for your art, when I look through Grover's various photoshopped art pics, I'm really liking the gray/greens and ivories with the sofa and the rug. Similar to the color of the leaves in the rug. As an example, the left two art pieces in this pic look especially nice with the sofa and rug.
    KShoa - just would like to say I'm very fond of your art (especially your figurative art). When you post it on Houzz (always so appropriately), I really admire it. One day when I'm looking for a certain piece for a certain spot, I bet I'll become a customer.
  • KD
    10 years ago
    I like how the wall sculptures add just a tiny bit of dimension to the wall over the sofa. I feel like it balances the room and the ceiling height better.

ETA: Or if you like the style, a large oriental scroll or a set of smaller ones might have a similar effect in terms of adding a little bit more texture than just a framed print or a painting?
  • PRO
    David Lalush Photography
    10 years ago
    I have done large canvases and acrylic mounted photos for large walls like this. Here is an example of one of my pier photos in the space.
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    The challenge of a single large piece is the repetition of blocks in the room. I like that Grover said 'organic' - curve and greater delicacy of line will provide some nice counterpoint.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Softer edges would be nice, which is why I also like a round coffee table, but need two. Maybe a rectangle with rounded edges for a coffee table. I think an arch floor lamp might soften ... maybe someone mentioned that on here, or maybe on another dilemma, can't remember : )
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Then there is a question if other round tables will be added? Round/oval lamp shades that can be options?
  • PRO
    Kevin Carroll Interiors
    10 years ago
    You're probably realizing that, although the art is beautiful, it still appears incomplete and that is because you're ignoring the height of the wall in relation to the space. It, like the coffee table is not in scale with the sofa and rug. Try this--four rows of (four pics in each row) evenly spaced 16 x 20 framed and matted (available at Aaron bros.) filled with black and white photos of a favorite subject downloaded from the internet. This will help to disguise the awkward ceiling and give a sense of organization to the space. Reconsider the coffee table. We can deal with the tv challenge later.
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    You could definitely make the room come to life with art. Something to grab attention and pull them in, unique and personal to you!
  • tantan02
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Lb interiors, I like the idea of a arch floor lamp. How about pairing the taller round table that the Buddha sit on with the existing coffee table in the center of the room. I could always get a square side table for the corner. Also I've attached a pic of the whole room, so if furniture can be rearranged, I can do that.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    If you want two coffee tables, they have to be identical design and style. That's what feels the best. Has continuity.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I don't think you have any other options to arrange the furniture with your current pieces and the room layout.
  • User
    10 years ago
    That's the problem with sectionals unless you get removable armrests.
  • tantan02
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Lb, the coffee tables have identical design n style. Only different heights n width ( one is taller and narrower). Chookchook, the sectionals are actually 4 pieces - one ottoman, one left armrest 2 seater, one right armrest 2 seater, one 2 seater with no armrest that can be paired with either armrest loveseat.
  • tantan02
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh I'm happy to lose the tv and the media unit from the living room as well. Does this help?
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Okay, then both those tables work fine next to each other for a coffee table group. It will be a nice interesting touch. How high is the highest table? It shouldn't be too much higher than the sofa seat cushion.

I would use the ottoman at the fireplace and move the loveseat facing the fireplace on the left of the sofa in L-shape.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Sounds like you bought wisely, Tantan.
  • tantan02
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks guys! Yaay, the highest table is still shorter than the seat cushion so I guess it may work!,
  • tantan02
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I will definitely try that layout LB!
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Please post if change it. Thanks.