natoukb

Need your advice for our new kitchen floor

natoukb
10 years ago
Hi,
We are redoing our kitchen. Adding new cabinets, granite counter tops, floors, lights etc. We would rather have a vinyl floor covering instead of ceramic tiles. Would that kill the look?
I have attached a picture of our new granite, and of our potential floor. I would really love your input. Thanking you in advance for your time.
Nathalie

Comments (34)

• rinked
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Go ahead and use vinyl. Or pvc.
    Nowadays it's also a goodlooking durable flooring.
    A light greywash woodprint (or a slate tile print) would probably be my pick.
    natoukb thanked rinked
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    10 years ago
    Mannington makes a really awesome vinyl tile called Adura that I love, check it out before you decide, I like it more than roll vinyl.
    natoukb thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Related Discussions

Need a good advice on how do I get my new house attractive

Q

Comments (6)
    Hi, I can see that you are trying to get an ensuite with every bedroom and whilst that is a great idea I am not so sure your house is big enough to accommodate this. The kitchen is far too small and it is also hidden away rather than being the focal point of the house. In this case you should have a rethink with the architect to amend the layout. Regards, Conor Ballycastle Homecare
    ...See More

Need help with a floor plan design for a new home

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi, Do you want to demolish the old house completely? You haven't shown the staircase in your new plan. The kitchen size mentioned by you is too big. I think 10x15 means kitchen and dining space both. For any help you can contact me on 7838154046 or write to me on pkassociates8@gmail.com.
    ...See More

Need your help with our new home .

Q

Comments (10)
    hello...I would like to suggest that for the balconies, close out the single doors and convert the walls into full length french doors for a contemporary look. also, the opening to the balcony from the puja room can be closed and can be made from the bedroom instead. that way the privacy of the pooja room is maintained
    ...See More

Advice needed on toe-kicks under kitchen cabinets.

Q

Comments (6)
    So from what I was told, the toe kick is not meant to be flush with the cabinets for ergonomic reasons. So having a fixed kick/moulding would present the same questions that I have above. The small hairline gap will attract grime, hairballs, dust bunnies etc over the days, months and years. Can’t be sanitary for the kitchen in the long run, yea?
    ...See More
  • indianpatti
    10 years ago
    What you have selected goes very well together.
    natoukb thanked indianpatti
  • Sandi Perry
    10 years ago
    I'm just curious why you're selecting vinyl if you're redoing the whole kitchen? If it is economical, then that is the way to go, but if you're worried about comfort or glass shattering on a cold ceramic tile, there are alternatives. People do use wood and that is more forgiving underfoot, another idea is cork, it is much softer underfoot and would work well with your granite selection.
    natoukb thanked Sandi Perry
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Sandi has good points. I chose wood floors in my kitchen after redoing counters to granite. To me, the upgrade needs to be complete. If you need to save up for the wood or another material, it'll be worth the wait. Vinyl won't give the same quality finished look that you obviously wanted when you went with the granite counters
    natoukb thanked leelee
  • natoukb
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks everyone for your ideas and opinion. I will be going to look at the Mannington Adura tiles today. We had originally wanted to put the Armstrong Alterna tiles, that are gorgeous, but heard that it was not easy to clean that type of floor, as dirt got caught in the grooves and had to be dislodged with a brush.
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    I did my Kitchen in Duraceramic vinyl tiles that look like slate. They were easy to have installed and look great. easy to clean etc. try to see them before deciding.
    natoukb thanked sunnydrew
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    here is the link directly to the product.
    http://www.congoleum.com/product_detail.php?id=DS48
  • natoukb
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Great! Thanks for the congoleum link :)
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    you are welcome. Also the installer did not have to remove the appliances out of the room, just rolled them off and on work area. I could walk on it same day and the grout is acrylic so it does not ever stain or "darken".
  • sarabeth2
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I too am putting in Congoleum's DuraCeramic tiles. check it out, bring some of those samples home. I'll be having quartz counter tops and the cabinet color you show in your photo is very much the same as ours. I am having the tiles grouted with their acrylic grout that won't stain and never have to seal. The DuraCeramic is so close to the feel and look of slate and/or ceramic -- but is quieter, warmer underfoot and easier to stand on for long times in the kitchen, and things won't shatter like they would on true ceramic. I love what we picked out: Roman Elegance RE-31 in Warm Clay.
    Oh, and I did ask at each flooring place that sold the Alterna and the DuraCeramic how their customers have liked it and how many and kinds of complaints they have had. Every salesperson I talked to gave high praises for these two (same but different brands) products, and none have had any calls of complaints, only that customers are very happy and pleased. I look forward to seeing my tiles transform my kitchen/eating area tomorrow, when they lay my DuraCeramic tile flooring! Good luck on your project.
    natoukb thanked sarabeth2
  • qam999
    10 years ago
    Please research the DuraCeramic before you commit. It has gotten very bad reviews, e.g. tp://www.pissedconsumer.com/reviews-by-company/congoleum-duraceramic.html , primarily for premature failure due to chipping and peeling, even after just a few months in very light use area.

Vinyl is virtually never paired with granite. However, there is no question sheet vinyl from a good manufacturer is a durable and practical product. If you like the look, then you're good to go. Lots of times, retailers and contractors push us into doing whatever is conventional and/or easy/profitable for them. But it's your house....you know what you want.
    natoukb thanked qam999
  • Allison Lee-Clay
    10 years ago
    Go with high-end industrial rubber?
    How about porcelain?
    It's nigh indestructible, if you go with a 4 + grade...
    You can get it heated...

Is it about 'wear & care' or about your back?
    natoukb thanked Allison Lee-Clay
  • natoukb thanked Allison Lee-Clay
  • PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    10 years ago
    Your choice will be much nicer under foot and save your legs from aching so much.
    natoukb thanked By Any Design Ltd.
  • natoukb
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I just got back with more tile samples. This time with the Mannington Adura tiles. What a great selection they have! I asked the salesman, whom we've known for over 20 yrs and who has done the complete flooring of the two homes that we've lived in, about the Congoleum's DuraCeramic tiles, and he said that if the tiles are lighter in color, such as white, they do have a tendency to peel and chip. The darker colors, he said, are fine and his Congoleum clients are happy with it. Looks like we are going to go with the Mannington Adura. Very highly recommended by our salesman who suggested that we set them in a diagonal pattern (rather than straight) to make the kitchen look bigger. We will have them set with the grout in between. More expensive than the vinyl, but the look of the Adura I feel, will complement the granite nicely without having the coldness of a ceramic or porcelain tile. Thanks again to all of you for your ideas, tips and input. Much appreciated! :)
  • PRO
    RSR DEVELOPMENT DESIGN/BUILD
    10 years ago
    I dont know if your using Vinyl flooring to save money or what, but if your putting lovely Granite countertop the Vinyl floor will take away from it and never give it the grand appearance you are striving for?
    Even the most inexpensive Ceramic Tile will enhance your kitchen ten fold.

cheers,
    natoukb thanked RSR DEVELOPMENT DESIGN/BUILD
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    I'm sorry, but why waste your money on granite when you are using vinyl on the floor??? It will just look sad. If you are going that way, nothing is wrong with Wilsonart or formica, then vinyl floor would be fine. If you go upscale, go all the way, if not, please don't fake it.
    natoukb thanked Sustainable Dwellings
  • maymag
    10 years ago
    What a pretty countertop choice. If you are looking for a great vinyl, I have been impressed with Karndean's flooring. The plank style is very realistic and forgiving. Saw it at a real estate office with high traffic as well as a local restaurant and they love it. Even knew someone with a 2 story beach house who was only going to use the vinyl planks upstairs in the more casual areas and real wood downstairs but once she saw it installed, switched to using Karndean on the first floor too. Had I not seen this particular brand, I never would have considered vinyl. The Van Gogh collection is particularly realistic and of course, should the dishwasher or refrigerator leak, it's easy to mop up and wouldn't buckle as wood might.
    natoukb thanked maymag
  • natoukb
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi everyone,

I wanted to let you know that our decision was made, and we ended up getting the Armstrong Alterna tiles. It looks absolutely beautiful with the granite ( the granite installers could not believe that they were not ceramic tiles when they saw them!).

This floor was certainly not cheap (as we set the grout in between the tiles and went on the diagonal, which resulted to more tiles needed and more labor), but it was all worth every penny. Not as hard and cold as ceramic.

I have included a picture for you to see.

Remember to always go with your gut.

Thanks again for your input and advice.

Nathalie
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Very nice.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    This a old post. She has finished it. See after pics.
  • tinker1121
    9 years ago
    Very nice. What is the name of the Alterna pattern you chose?
  • sarabeth2
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Your Alterna looks great. I too fell in love with the line of 'luxury vinyl tiles'. We chose ours from the Congoleum DuraCeramic (same as Alterna, just different brand). So many compliments on ours too, and I really like how warm and quiet it is to walk on. We used quartz on the counter tops.
  • nessabea
    9 years ago

For those of you who have had Congoleum Duraceramic installed I would like to know how long you have lived with the product and your satisfaction with it. Please consider look, feel, cleaning and any cracking/peeling/scratching you have experienced. I really don't want to regret choosing this product, so I am trying to do due diligence before making a commitment. I have fallen in love with their Rapolano Bisque and would be particularly interested to see a photo of it installed. Thanks in advance!

• sunnydrew
    9 years ago
    I had the Duraceramic installed a few years ago. I really like it and it is easy to clean. The grout stays clean and does not stain. I will admit, that there is a little chip in one, but I do not really see it. That would have been worse with real tile. I do recommend the product and installation was very easy for them and on us.
    My color is like slate.
  • wheatey123
    9 years ago
    I have porcelain tiles in my kitchen. I've dropped pots, an iron, and knives with no chipping. I don't find it too cold nor hard and I do a lot of cooking. I had vinyl floors in two kitchens and they chipped, scratched and dinged. They also loosened from sun shining through sliders. Just my two cents since I've had experience with both.
  • cabingirl13
    9 years ago

I am so happy that you picked a flooring choice that works for you despite what all the other say that it will not look good with granite. I think it looks fabulous- enjoy!

• tinker1121
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I like your choice a lot and also had a hard time deciding what to put with our granite. I didn't like the Duraceramic reviews and reports of chipping, and the Alterna colors I saw were just not the right tone but their vinyl tile is very very nice. We ended up with LVT made by Shaw, little known line called Resort Tile and it is just perfect and price terrific. It has been down since June and I never tire of it and the light grout used (actually think it is the Congoleum grout in color called Harvest) is easy to clean and non staining. Not sure what I like best my floor or my granite, ummm it is the granite lol, but so glad we went with the LVT and easier to install in the old uneven house too as it can be heated and shaped a bit if any sloping.

Enjoy!!

• nessabea
    9 years ago

tinker1121...can I get a pic? also considering the Shaw resort tile in Hot Cocoa color....

• tinker1121
    9 years ago

This is it in the color Sunlit which is a very realistic travertine look. Picture not real accruate but close to showing the cream, light gold and some gray which I really like. I would make sure you get a sample and look at it at different times of the day in different light. I had a difficult time getting the right undertone with the granite.

• Erica Flaherty
    8 years ago

We have a very similar kitchen layout and are also thinking of going with the Alterna floor, I'm curious as to how it's holding up?

• kmac
    7 years ago

We have Armstrong Alterna vinyl tiles in our kitchen. Have had lots of problems with the "grout" cracking. Now we are having problems with tiles chipping. Some areas may have had things fall on them, other areas have not. Does anyone make a product that doesn't have to be replace in 2-5 years? Ours had problems in under a year of installation, which was done by a professional. We thought the tiles would be low maintenance and durable, but are finding out that is not the case, sadly.