mjjerome

Dining room rug?

mjjerome
10 years ago
Do I need a dining room rug? I can't decide if the room looks too bare.

Comments (155)

• PRO
    karen paul interiors
    10 years ago
    Natasha, I'm back in the dining room and there are no windows there.
  • User
    10 years ago
    And just pointing out small detail, but turning the table puts the grain going the same as the floor. Not a real big thing but I kinda like the idea of that.
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    10 years ago
    No square table. I want to know if your table as is will fit the distance within the confines of the wall and not go beyond the opening to the foyer.
  • mjjerome
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We have the breakfast bar at the open end of the kitchen, where we eat most of the time. So smaller dining table would be ok.
  • mjjerome
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, Karen I think it might fit. Gotta measure, though, for sure.
  • Natasha Assa
    10 years ago
    Forget about it, I probably confused the glass wall with a dining table in the kitchen, no?
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    10 years ago
    Oh, so now it becomes the um...poker room! :)
  • Manon Floreat
    10 years ago
    I'm late to the discussion, but have read the majority of the comments and think I have a good understanding of our dilemma. I concur with those who nixed the idea of a rug. I see that there is a distinct style in this space - I can't catalog it - but I think it's truly charming.

Others have alluded to the seeming incongruity between the living and dining rooms and I can somewhat see that, however, I don't think the dining room needs to "step-it-up". It has a clear voice, yet so does the living area. My suggestion is to harmonize their voices by modifying the living area a bit to reflect elements of the dining area. Repetition is powerful.

A few options are to repeat the sparkle from the dining chandelier in the living area, introduce a strong wood element (ie: coffee/end table) to echo the spirit of the dining furniture and as suggested, add upholstered hostess chairs to the dining table to reference the tailored crispness of the living area. The nail head wing back you used for illustration looked great!

I love your philosophy of re-use, recycle and re-love. Your space reads as one that is well loved, so your philosophy is surely working!
    mjjerome thanked Manon Floreat
  • mjjerome
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    There is all that "lost" area, too, where I now just have three leather stools. (The former owners removed a fireplace, and I don't know what to do with the space. Perhaps the console there? A bar?)
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    10 years ago
    A rug would be a nice accessory to add, it will suddenly make the floor seem a little busy and take away the bareness. While at it may I suggest a new set of dining chairs, these will add a new dimension to your room.
    Seeing the bigger picture as posted in your later posts you might not need more than a rug and chairs although it would be a good idea to match the stools with the dining chairs. Here are a few recommendations from Thos.Baker.

Ar Simran Chhibber on behalf of Thos.Baker.
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    10 years ago
    Ah, Manon! The voice of reason has returned. Where have you been? So I think the d.r. needs stepping up and you feel the living room needs to feel more of the d.r. Please 'splain some more through your marvelous pictures. Glad to see you back kiddo! :)
  • rosesarered14
    10 years ago
    I does look a bit bare and rugs always bring a homely and cosy feel into the house! There are some nice rugs out there.
  • Natasha Assa
    10 years ago
    Karen, by any chance, do you also have another name on the blog? Not that it matters!
  • Natasha Assa
    10 years ago
    @Manon, same here, I am not sure if the dining room needs to be upgraded with upholstered chairs and/or plush rug. Mismatching the styles and sizes of chairs is a fine art, and can be easily messed up, opening up further dilemmas. Secondly, the dining set is lovely as it is, and all it needs is some graceful framing, not a revamp. I would go for a simple area rug, perhaps in the same vein as the one in the living room, and if some softness is desired, I would add chair cushions in a pattern speaking to other accents in the room, or a neutral.
  • anniau
    10 years ago
    @mjjer, at the risk of adding to the multitude of opinions here.. I am wondering if your question about the rug was to define the dining room, to soften it, make it fuller and add more character?
    What would you think about using a darker paint in this dining area to define the space, even a slaty blue? This would look amazing in the evenings when you use the room the most.
    Then adding some life and sparkle with a large mirror where your console is now, possibly mercury glass look to give a softer look. This would bring light and reflections.
    Add a more substantial sideboard here in proportion to the mirror and move the console to the back of the nearest sofa.
    The stools look lost here and need to find a home elsewhere.
    Does the chandelier need lowering a bit more?
    I don't think the table runner adds anything. Add some glass or flowers instead for some more sparkle.
    And I wouldn't worry about a rug at all.
    mjjerome thanked anniau
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    10 years ago
    anniau, I had thought about a soft blue in there and moving the console behind the sofa as well. Hadn't gotten to a buffet where the console is as she does have space restrictions over there. Really good and easy solutions! :)
    To natasha. No just this one handle.
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    10 years ago
    Living room · More Info
    Here's the photo I wanted to show you. If this can happen, then you will have more than enough room for your rug and a deep buffet where the console table is. It could be a start.
    mjjerome thanked karen paul interiors
  • Natasha Assa
    10 years ago
    Folks, I know we all have different ideas, not only from each other, but from ourselves, from one day to another. But am I the only one who sees that no Persian rug, or mahogany buffet, or richly upholstered chairs would go with this dining set? Karen, believe me, I am not going to eat you or anyone else "for lunch", far from it, but sometimes it baffles me how we go right past the elephant in the room, so to speak, and indulge our own fantasies about the place. This set will have to be thrown out of the room, if we frame it with a rich buffet, Persian rug, or fabulously upholstered chairs. I mean, it barely withstands the impact of the chandelier, which might be the only uptown piece the room can afford without being totally thrown off balance. But we carry on turning the room up and up a notch, forgetting the commitments that already made.
  • janadiane
    10 years ago
    I put down a rug under my dining room table and chairs in the cooler months for a cozy and warmer feeling. I like to take it out in the warmer months. For me, it changes the whole feel of the area. I think it is a very personal choice. Follow your gut and let your home reflect your personality. The only rule is that you must like it and be comfortable in your home.
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    10 years ago
    Natasha, who said anything about a rich buffet, Persian rug or fabulously upholstered chairs? For the life of me I cannot understand your consternation. The room needs to be lighter and brighter and there are several things that can be added to achieve that. I am trying to understand your "eye" and philosophy...but I just don't get it There is no elephant in the room, IMHO. The choices made have been by meticulous craftsmen and to run it up and notch or two to have the d.r. and l.r. do a handshake is not an earth-shaking situation. Perhaps I'm being totally blonde here, but I honestly do not understand what you would have in his space to bring everything to fruition that would make sense and that would please the homeowner. I need enlightening or a good talkin' to!
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    10 years ago
    to rngp: I think what is giving me incredible difficulty is that Natasha appears to be doing a very strict philosophy of what the parameters can or should be. I was born in Pa., raised in Washington, D. C. where I was a designer for 30 years and am now 18 years in California. My clients back East didn't much care about what is supposed to go with what. They always bought high quality, much of which was handed down thru several generations, and we were somehow able to make sense of bringing together most unlikely partners to create truly wonderful, fresh and timely interiors. Believe me the Shaker thing means more to some people than others. Everything they make is meticulous and timeless and because of that aspect of their work, there's no such thing as not being able to mix their craft for a timeless interior. Now, that is of course my own opinion, but I do believe I have enough creds with this sort of situation that I can feel OK with some of my recommendations.
  • Diane
    10 years ago
    Going back in time; I think I like the idea of the runner.
  • Natasha Assa
    10 years ago
    OK, I will carry on reading the thread if you guys promise that the rug, the buffet and any new chairs are gonna be tuned in with the table set. Otherwise I get shivers when I picture in my mind one if those federal style buffets filled with granny's china, or ornamental Persian rug, or tufted and nail headed chairs next to that dining set! OK, I said my peace, now stop lynching me! Lol.
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    10 years ago
    Natasha, this is about the homeowner and what she would want. I think the most responsible thing to do is to address your advice to her rather than other Houzzers.
  • Natasha Assa
    10 years ago
    @Diane, I know, you feel sorry for me in this uncharted territory. Thanks for your sympathy with the runner! Lol
  • Natasha Assa
    10 years ago
    @Karen, now you don't wonna talk to me no more?
  • Natasha Assa
    10 years ago
    Karen et al, actually, I find these threads educational and somewhat social, not purely utilitarian. I try to learn from them and understand the logic/mind of a designer. Some nuggets have been revealed to me, as for example "design is not a science". I am still trying to mull over it. Another one is that "rules are meant to be broken" - another paradox I am trying to learn. One more just came to mind "avoid labeling your design before you have all the pieces". All this is supposed to point the way to creativity, etc., but I wonder. I hope for someone who was in the business for years, it's ok to ask those questions.
  • mjjerome
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for your comments and interest, all. I'm more than a little amazed that my simple room is so polarizing. I will be away for a while, and you've all given me a lot to think about. First thing I do when I get back is measure for a rug --- no sisal, no Persian. Maybe this?
  • mjjerome
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    And I'll be shopping for 2 chairs like the ones Karen Paul suggested .. Thanks.
  • K D-G
    10 years ago
    O wow, I'm shocked at the bickering and judgment here. Embarrassing. Good luck on your project. I think you've got this. :)
  • Natasha Assa
    10 years ago
    @Kayte, I am shocked that folks who spend time on a blog like HOUZZ are "shocked" at a harmless exchange of opinions. I am also somewhat taken aback that other folks who make a living in interior design industry are so relentless defending their opinions. I am neither a design professional nor "head eater". I am simply trying to weigh in, no offense to anyone whatsoever. In doing so I am also trying to learn, in the most sincere way, as design is my private passion. I would really like to know what is it that I said or implied that makes you say "nasty"?
  • User
    10 years ago
    [houzz=
    Bar Chart Bliss Rug · More Info
    ]

Now don't everybody freak out at the colors but for some reason this made me think of your problem mjjer. I had at one time thrown out the idea about a runner from the entryway through the dining room and this helped me to visualize a little bit better that concept. I particularly liked the plush pile on this rug even though obviously the colors are wayyyy off.

Something to consider?
  • Natasha Assa
    10 years ago
    @mjjer Here is a wonderful reference for your situation. And here is why I like it and recommend it for you to study:

(1) economical design - focus on the bones, uncluttered
    (2) all pieces speak to each other - floors, dining set, chandelier
    (3) proportions of the room are well preserved
    (4) all adjacent spaces are in excellent relations to each other

http://houzz.com/photos/785917
  • Natasha Assa
    10 years ago
    Here is another angle of the same room:

http://houzz.com/photos/785913
  • Natasha Assa
    10 years ago
    @rnpg This is a beautiful illustration of why runners work in long narrow spaces - to emphasize the space, to break it up with counter-pattern (horizontals vs verticals, or diamond vs. squares, as Karen's stencil showed); to make it interesting with use of color, etc.

But let's examine why it may or may not work for the homeowner, with her particular room layout. The passageway in her room is not as clearly separated from the dining area as in this example. In fact it is an integral part of the room. The question therefore is how to take advantage of this fact to enlarge the room without making it feel like a grand hallway? The answer is to give both areas harmonious treatment, allowing for some break between them. this would be accomplished by a runner AND a matching area rug in the dining area.

Now, the alternative would be to seek harmony in monochromatic color of the whole room, as the example above demonstrates. Notice, several passageways surround the dining table on all sides, yet we do not feel like we are sitting in a hallway.

Why? Cuz:

(1) dining set does not "spill over" into any other area, leaving ample room for traffic circulation
    (2) the table's and chairs' color is used on the floor, emphasizing the fact that it is a "dining area", not a passageway
    (3) all passageways are "integrated" into the dining area with color giving the room that ample feeling
    (4) all accents are understated, giving the dining space that important center stage: no rich buffet, no beefy chairs, no distracting lights
    (5) the floor is bare: no rug, no runner
  • Natasha Assa
    10 years ago
    @mjjer Looking at the above example the answer to your question is NO, you do not need an area rug, cuz your floor wonderfully matches your table top in cherry color. This allows you to "integrate" the space to make the dining area appear larger, without either of the two spaces colliding. I would definitely showcase such a happy match.

What you do need, however, is to bring your accent pieces in sync with your secondary color - your chairs. I will call it dark walnut, but you can call it espresso, or coffee or black. To achieve that I would find and place the following pieces:

#1 simple understated console in that dark walnut color;
    #2 chandelier in an elegant candlestick design in black iron;
    #3 dining room themed prints in black frames (e.g.lemons on vine)
    #4 small topiary accents (12-14" tall) on console for organic feel
    #5 wicker baskets under the console for a rustic feel
    #6 silverware in a crockery jar with some patina for some age

I would also consider repainting your walls in a fresh linen color, to give contrast to your darker accent colors. Japanese prints and mirror would have to find another home, perhaps on the opposite wall next to the door, or even in your entry foyer.
  • Natasha Assa
    10 years ago
    Here is an example of lemon prints, except you will need black or dark walnut frame:

http://bit.ly/1mZjPmp
  • Natasha Assa
    10 years ago
    Perhaps something like this for a light fixture? As one of many, I am sure:

http://www.o.co/2064093/product.html
  • Natasha Assa
    10 years ago
    Another possibility for chandelier:

Sea Gull Lighting Plymouth 6-light Blacksmith Single-tier Chandelier | Overstock.com Shopping - The Best Deals on Chandeliers & Pendants
  • Natasha Assa
    10 years ago
    This or similar console seems like a possibility. Notice the beefy appearance of the draws and the lower shelf for additional storage. I also like the rustic finish and the combination of two woods. If they match your table top and chairs, it might be just the thing:

http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/5571069/Safavieh-Hartlepool-Black-Walnut-Console-Table-L13340697.jpg
  • Natasha Assa
    10 years ago
    This console table is also warmly weathered and in dark walnut color, with a slim profile. It is six feet in length though (72"), hard to tell if you have the space on that side wall.

https://www.jossandmain.com/Caroline-Console-Table-in-Distressed-Ebony~HKR6182~E8453.html?src=2&referrerid=D8AAF3
  • Natasha Assa
    10 years ago
    This is another console in dark cherry. Again hard to tell the match with your chairs, but the design is beautiful and quality is one of the best around (from Paula Dean collection).

https://www.jossandmain.com/Make-an-Entrance-Taft-Console-Table~UNI3174~E8453.html
  • Natasha Assa
    10 years ago
    Finally, this classic console in black just can't be beat for practicality and classic design. The top might be adjusted in color to your table, too.

https://www.jossandmain.com/Feuille-Sideboard-in-Black~FV29042~E8453.html?src=2&referrerid=D8AAF3
  • PRO
    Article
    10 years ago
    Yes, I think it will really complete the space!
  • jayasri
    10 years ago
    Yes but a rug much larger than the table as smaller rugs get caught up when moving closer to the table !
  • Natasha Assa
    10 years ago
    This Belgian console will resonate with an iron candlestick chandelier, bringing metal as an additional texture into the room. It is also very beautiful, with ample draws and shelves for displays. The price sounds like a small investment, but not too outlandish for the quality.

http://bit.ly/1aXSg4X
  • mjjerome
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you, Natasha for all your suggestions. A lot to think about.
  • PRO
    Saleem Carpets
    8 years ago

My point of view that you should have one neutral handmade

rug under your table, if you want to have plan then let me know for your help info@saleemcarpets.com