d_m_rudd

Kitchen backsplash, is glass tile a good choice?

Doris Rudd
last year
last modified: last year

We’re in the process of a house rebuild after suffering a house fire December 31, 2021. We’re nearing the end of the process and trying to finalize our backsplash.

I’ve ordered a lot of tile samples pondering green, blue or grey. We decided against grey after our appliances were installed – I’d like the backsplash to have color. My first color choice is green, but I’m having a hard time finding the olive green I have in mind. The closest I’ve found is from Floor and Decor, Pure Thyme Glass Tile. While I love this color, I’m unsure about using glass tile and would love to hear others experience. Is this harder to maintain? Is fingerprints, smudges an issue? I’m guessing not as this tile is on the wall? Is glass a good or bad choice behind the stove?

In the photos below you’ll see this isn’t a large kitchen. The tile will be installed from the top of the countertop to the ceiling – only going to the ceiling above the window. It would also wrap into the garden window. The white molding you see around the garden window in the photos will be removed.

Our cabinets are from Marsh Cabinets and the color is Linen.

Our countertop is from Stonework Quartz, the color is Carrara Mist.

The island shown in the photos may not be our permanent choice. Whatever island we choose we're thinking of coordinating the color of the island base to the backsplash and using butcher block for the top.

Some inspiration photos:

https://www.houzz.com/hznb/photos/alexandria-transitional-kitchen-transitional-kitchen-dc-metro-phvw-vp~117665669

https://www.houzz.com/photos/castro-kitchen-remodel-transitional-kitchen-san-francisco-phvw-vp~30274921

Pendant over the sink is a placeholder.

Glass tile shown here is the one we're considering.

Comments (46)

• Lyn Nielson
    last year

congratulations on the new build!

While your inspo pix are beautiful, your installation will not be a bright.

Professional photos are always over lit for max effect.

The green won't look as vibrant. I don't understand why you will remove the window trim.

it's a nice accent against the green tile... not to mention easier to hide cut tile edges.

Green is a great color for fresh kitchens. Glass tile requires a proper mortar, not universal tile motar.

Doris Rudd thanked Lyn Nielson
  • la_la Girl
    last year

I think it is hard to choose based on one tile - can you get your tiler to mock up a few boards for you? i love green in a kitchen for sure

Doris Rudd thanked la_la Girl
  • Related Discussions

How to fix Broken glass backsplash in kitchen

Q

Comments (11)
    A good tile installer that knows what he is doing, can easily remove that single piece of tile.... carefully replace it with another one. Do you have another extra pieces of the same tile? Do you know what brand and color the existing grout is? That will be more of the issue trying to get the grout match to match up or the finding the same tile (in the same dye lot) if you need to buy another tile. Did the heat cause the break or did a pan bang into the glass? Consider installing a heat resistant Lumicor or 3 Form panel behind the stove. Any flat material that can be sandwiched between two resin panels. 1). Crushed glass. 2). Fabric. 3). Fabric. 4). Fabric.
    ...See More

Kitchen backsplash - which tiles for a white Cottage/Farmhouse kitchen

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi Rasa, Nice to hear from you and I’m glad I was able to give you some inspiration for your kitchen tiles. I’ve included another image for you to look at that shows more of a farm house style kitchen with the coloured tiles. If you worried the coloured tiles might look too contemporary for your space, I would advise going for quite soft, muted colour tones to give you the same effect but in a more rustic style. You can see in the attached image how they have used a soft sheen, textured tile in neutral tones, with a subtle hint of colour to be in-keeping with that farmhouse feel. For your tile colours, you could pick up the off white tone of your cabinets with the grey in the granite, and a very soft hint of green or blue to add a little colour to achieve the same look for your kitchen. I have also added some paint swatches below you could use as reference for tile colours to help you visualise the combination. Off white: Greys: Blue or Green: Hopefully this answers your questions for you and I’d love to see some pictures when your project is finished. Good luck with the decorating. Paola Dulux Design Expert www.designer.duluxamazingspace.co.uk
    ...See More

Is glass mosaic tiles good for kitchen backsplash

Q

Comments (2)
    Yes, ofcourse. Infact, they one of the best option as they are durable and easy to clean.
    ...See More

hydrophobing coating on bathroom tiles and kitchen top and backsplash

Q

Comments (1)
    Mukti, From what you described, it seems you need a water softener than a hydrophobic coating. Salt based softeners are good for these issues.
    ...See More
  • Doris Rudd
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you for the reply Lyn. We're getting excited about going home. We've been displaced for over a year.

We could certainly rethink removing the trim around the window. The garden window in this photo was an inspiration and I liked the contrast the tile provided below the floor of the garden window.

The way the floor in ours is installed I don't think we can remove the trim under the window without it looking odd. Not sure how we can make that transition.

• Doris Rudd
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for the reply, la_la Girl. Our installer will be hired by the restoration company. I don't think they'll be open to creating some mocks. I'm hoping the same guy who did the tile in the bathroom will do this tile as well. He did a really good job.

• iroll
    last year

Here is an olive green subway tile slightly lighter in color:

Ocean Spray 4 in. x 12 in. Olive Green Glass Tile

Doris Rudd thanked iroll
  • Doris Rudd
    Original Author
    last year

@iroll Thank you for the link to the green glass tile. I'm ok with the color of the green glass tile I have, wondering if using glass tile all the way to the ceiling is a bad idea? In my mind a ceramic would look better and I've had no luck finding the right color. I'll take a second look at the link you sent, they may have a ceramic in the right color.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

I use glass tiles a lot in the kitchens I design I think they add a bit of sparkle and often avail. in colors that just work I like them done with matching grout and they wipe off with a micrfiber cloth no issues.BTW I would not do the tile to the ceiling next to th window if that is where you planned that.

Doris Rudd thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Doris Rudd
    Original Author
    last year

@Patricia Colwell Consulting, thank you for the reply. I was wondering about grout and asked about it at the tile store. They had some choices but nothing matched. Taking the tile to the ceiling was what we planned and also what I'm unsure about. We had planned to not leave the trim around the window and were thinking of wrapping the tile into the window on the sides and the top. I like the idea of contrast between the floor of the garden window and the glass tile. The garden window floor matches the countertop. But, I'm open to leaving the trim and trying to work with the glass tile since it's the color we like. Here's a straight on shot of the window.

• Doris Rudd
    Original Author
    last year

@HALLETT & Co. Thank you for the reply. The tile transition where you marked is awkward. The electrical was done before the cabinets. Our project manager is suggesting we run the tile on the wall to the door trim and carry it down to the floor. He says "it'll look good". But, I have reservations that it will. We're coming to the end of our house restoration from the fire and the contractors that's doing the work is hired through the restoration company. We've not been too pleased but any work that's complete through the restoration company is guaranteed for five years. It's been a very long process; we've been displaced for fourteen months.

We've considered insisting that the outlet be moved. Electrical has already come back because the outlets were at different heights. As you can imagine we're frustrated.

• RedRyder
    last year

Go to Tilebar.com and type in Green tile Backsplash. I think you’ll see better options for a green backsplash- especially if your brain is thinking “olive”. Samples are 5 for $5. I love green and saw a few that would be better than the sample you have now.

I love glass tile but your required cuts can mess up the look if done incorrectly. Sticking with ceramic is a good idea.

Doris Rudd thanked RedRyder
  • Doris Rudd
    Original Author
    last year

@RedRyder Thank you for the reply. I love Tilebar and have ordered many, many green tiles. Their shipping is the best – tile arrives very quick. So far nothing is resonating. I've tried calling their toll-free number for assistance, but they recommended tiles I had already ordered and couldn't offer anything new.

• elcieg
    last year

If this is your quartz, which I think is beautiful, I'd let it be the star, not the backsplash. That doesn't rule out glass tile, just go lighter similar to below...

How about green for the island?

Doris Rudd thanked elcieg
  • kandrewspa
    last year

I like green - it's one of my favorite colors, but I think the tile you're considering is awfully dark and once you have a lot of it, it might be too much. You definitely need a sample board so you can get a better idea of how it would look over a larger area. Here are some other green ideas. The last one is an all time Houzz users' favorite. It's also possible to add interest by using pattern instead of color if you hit a dead end with green.

Providence at Atlanta National Kitchen · More Info

Lake Oswego Custom Home · More Info

San Jose Res 2 · More Info

Doris Rudd thanked kandrewspa
  • elcieg
    last year

I think I just bought your 'fridge. My 7 year old Porsche of refrigerators just gave out. Not fixable. I remember the 'fridge my parents had. When my dad sold the house, it was still working well, never had a service call, and it was 30 years old. What happened?

• Maureen
    last year

Based on the shade of green in the adjoining room I think it would be nice to complement the color, to create more of a connection. The other thing to consider how dark your choice might feel.

Consider a muted green that works with the cupboards and also complements the black island.

Doris Rudd thanked Maureen
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

are you set on glass? I was just going to recommend the Jade one that Maureen posted.

Renzo Jade in the picket

It also comes in a subway tile size. (and a 4x4)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/MSI-Lakeview-Jade-3-in-x-12-in-Glossy-Ceramic-Wall-Tile-5-5-sq-ft-Case-NLAKJAD3X12/315446127

slimmer tile is from Tilebar under Seaport.

Wayfair and Home Depot have it under IvyHill tile under "Newport".

Tilebar also carries the Nabi line. this is a darker green color,

that is similar size to your inspo photo:

Alexandria Transitional Kitchen · More Info

or this inspo photo:

Castro Kitchen Remodel · More Info

have you seen Fireclay Tiles? very similar to your pic above.

they also have glass.

A friend of mine did Fireclay glass tiles in this shade of green w/her soapstone counters

https://www.fireclaytile.com/glass-tile/colors?tile_colors%5B0%5D=Greens

Here's a list of their green glass colors.

you might try looking at their greens in the other medium (and they have a ton of shapes and sizes too)

https://www.fireclaytile.com/subway-tile/colors?tile_colors%5B0%5D=Greens

just a small sample.

if you want something a little darker, AND, in a vertical orientation, a warmer, charcoal gray

which I think would look great w/your cab color and the brass accents, along w/your flooring color. has to be the warmer shade, not a cool blue gray.

Speaking of blue,

what do you think of doing this shade of blue?

switching up the light and the runner:

I think any of these blues or blue/greens would look great w/your flooring

Slate Blue is the name of the tile on the right

https://www.fireclaytile.com/tile/colors/detail/slate-blue

other greens, The Junglalow did this green from fireclay

this one is a green Zellige tile

Doris Rudd thanked Beth H. :
  • User
    last year

I love the idea of green, but I don’t think that tile you have is like your inspiration photos. Have you looked at Fireclay tiles?

Doris Rudd thanked User
  • nickel_kg
    last year

Glass is easy-care and I love the depth. We have an older home, small kitchen, so our KD suggested we let the backsplash be the star. We had our contractor and tile installer place the electric outlets horizontally instead of vertically, and we used an outlet close to the color of one of our tiles, so the outlets blend in instead of standing out. Whatever you chose, make it something you love :-)

Doris Rudd thanked nickel_kg
  • Connecticut Yankeeeee
    last year

I love that you’re wanting green tiles - such a nice complement to your beautiful neutrals. I hope you post updates on what you’ve chosen!

Doris Rudd thanked Connecticut Yankeeeee
  • btydrvn
    last year

A couple of practical considerations… a less dramatic color will be less likely to become tiresome over time ..and smaller tiles will be less work keeping clean as bigger surfaces show more soil, water spots.,etc.

• chicagoans
    last year

For those recommending Renzo Jade, I just saw that in person yesterday and loved it, as did my KD. I have two sample tiles on my DR table right now, and just visited them LOL. (Yes I'm obsessed.) For those wanting a light blue, the Renzo Sky is actually much prettier in person than online, IMO.

^^ my picture doesn't do the Sky justice.

• Doris Rudd
    Original Author
    last year

@elcieg Thank you for the input. We thought about a cream backsplash for a more monotone look, but my husband preferred green or blue. The second photo with the green island looks vey similar to our kitchen. We will go with a color for the island, either to match the backsplash or wood tone similar to the floor.

I hope we like the frig. Before the fire we had a 20 year old Kitchenaid that had no issues. It's a little scary to buy all appliances at once. I don't think they last like they used to.

• Doris Rudd
    Original Author
    last year

@kandrewspa – thank you for these examples – I thought I had looked at every possible green kitchen backsplash on Houzz. The last image "San Jose Res 2" is truly beautiful. I'll look at the later this evening to learn more.

• Doris Rudd
    Original Author
    last year

@Maureen – Thank you for these tile examples. My photo was misleading as the adjoining room is beige, not green. We painted the entire house a light beige to simplify things. Your first image of the hexagon tile is very pretty. Do you know what tile this is?

• Maureen
    last year

Link for the tile: https://www.msisurfaces.com/ceramic-mosaics/renzo-jade-25x13-pickett/?ssp_iabi=1676489642776

If interested, I sourced on Pinterest and if you search green backsplash tile (include glass if you like), you’ll see a ton of choices.

Doris Rudd thanked Maureen
  • pricklypearcactus
    last year

Your inspiration photos do not seem to be glass tile. I don't think you get that variation from tile to tile in glass. I have heard great things about Fireclay and the depth you get with the variation in color between tiles.

What about either of these?

https://www.fireclaytile.com/tile/colors/detail/kelp

https://www.fireclaytile.com/tile/colors/detail/sea-green

Doris Rudd thanked pricklypearcactus
  • Barbara Almandarz
    last year

Love what you've done so far. I have glass tile backsplash and LOVE it. A little winfex or soap and water works great to clean. The glass gives you a lovely depth you can't get with tile or stone. Thhis is the glass I used except we installed it vertically, not horizontally as shown. Because this coes on a mesh background, we were able to remove the occassional glass strp and replace it with stainless for a modern look.

Doris Rudd thanked Barbara Almandarz
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

Doris, were you able to see all hte examples in my comment? I don't know if you've gotten to it yet. It's up about 13 comments from here.

I did a few mockups for you w/the blue example. I also did some greens. I posted quite a few pics.

since you said you were changing out your pendant, I gave you some nice gold options in these photos

With the Linen color of the cabs, I thought these shades of blue were very nice, especially w/the gold.

• Doris Rudd
    Original Author
    last year

@Beth H. : Thank you for your detailed input and the examples. I look forward to going through these again this evening.

I'm not set on glass tile. The glass tile was the only tile I could find in the color I think I want. I don't want a lot of variation in the tile color and some of the greens vary greatly. Those were eliminated.

One tile from TIlebar Lancaster Celery Green, I revisited today when I had a fabric swatch for a new sofa. I had eliminated this color before because it appeared grey, but next to my sage color fabric sample this looked really nice.

I love dark green tiles but determined they were too dark. I think the recommendations of going lighter is good advice. I have a box due from Tilebar this week. I think it has one more green and some mid-tone blues.

I have visited Fireclay tiles, but haven't ordered anything. Several people have mentioned their tile so I think I will place an order this weekend.

Love your mockups of tile in my kitchen. It really does help visualize. I had ruled out grey as my husband thought it was too bland. But I love the image you posted of the white kitchen with grey backsplash. It's beautiful.

I've started looking at blue tile. There's so much more available. What is the tile in the first blue image you posted? That's really pretty. I appreciate the pendant suggestions too. What's there now is a placeholder. My husband is retired and picked up lighting at local restores as placeholders until I can decide our "forever" lighting. The hardware on our cabinets is not gold, but brushed nickel. I'm hoping to add pops of color for the pendant over the sink and the chandelier in our small dining room. Possibly something in orange or red or an interesting multicolor.

I appreciate your suggestions and the time it took to gather these images and create mocks. It is very helpful!

• elcieg
    last year

DORIS, pick a green you would love in a tile, and paint some boards. Lean them up on the backsplash wall, step back, and see how you like it.

No, appliances do not last like they used to. When we remodeled our downsize, i bought all Whirlpool Ice because I was taken with a House Beautiful kitchen. We did the whole nine yards...French door 'fridge, drop-in stove, induction cook top, dishwasher, microwave and washer/dryer. I cannot believe the 'fridge failed and how soon. First, the ice maker stopped, then the freezer. Honestly, I would love to buy just an old style 'fridge, with a top freezer, no computer stuff. But, my family is used to filtered water/ice on the exterior door. And, not dealing with:

• elcieg
    last year

Investigate how the tiles will be applied to the wall. The adhesive can change the look of the tile.

The grout color can change the appearance, as well.

• anna_682
    last year

Doris, Have you considered moving the outlets to underneath your cabinets? We moved our outlets to so we could have an uninterrupted marble slab backsplash.

We did leave a wall outlet on a small backsplash/countertop area for the microwave.

Doris Rudd thanked anna_682
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

doris, you mean this gray one?

you could look at glazed brick, or a ceramic glazed brick-look.

Tilebar has these on the left. I ordered these samples for my own stone

The two on the left are the Cadenza line. Thunder and Wales Gray, I believe.

here's another shot of the Wales Gray. get some other samples from Tilebar. (or, if you look under IvyHill tile on wayfair and HD, they carry the same as tilebar, just listed under diff name titles)

the one next to that is the Newport tile.

If you like the blue/green color, they carry this Tidewater shade. very pretty.

here's a soft blue/gray glazed tile. what do you think about doing the herringbone with it?

This one is the Portmore. I like the vertical stack layout

They also carry it in the green. (and a blue)

this is a nice Aqua Marine glazed terra cotta color:

https://www.countryfloors.com/product/aqua-marine-leather-terracotta-tiles-2-1-8x7-1-2/

Merola tile over at Home Depot carries a similar color like the Celery you mentioned. This Sage tile. the grout is horrible, so imagine it w/a soft white or gray.

have you seen the colors on a Zellige tile? So many diff variations of blue/green. stunning shades

Houzz and other places offer a ceramic 'lookalike' to the zellige

Mestizaje Zellige 5 x 5 Ceramic Tiles - Turques, 9 Sq Ft · More Info

they have many diff colors. I really like this shade of blue w/your cab colors.

Cloe has a similar color blue, but have you seen their green?

Cloe 2.5"x8" Artisan Ceramic Subway Tile, Green · More Info

back to the green glass:

Seafoam Green Glass Subway Tile, 2"x12" Tiles, Set of 6 · More Info

Ice Age Glass Subway Tile, 2"x12" Tiles, Set of 6 · More Info

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

This mosaic is so beautiful..I think it would look amazing in your kitchen…

Doris Rudd thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • Doris Rudd
    Original Author
    last year

@pricklypearcactus – Thank you for the reply. I need to spend more time on the Fireclay site. I've looked and seen several tiles that could work. I'll review and place an order. The two examples you posted are both beautiful.

• Doris Rudd
    Original Author
    last year

@Barbara Almandarz Thank you for the reply. I bet your backsplace is beautiful. Did the installer find glass tiles more difficult to install? Especially around the light switches and receptacles. We have a few and that's a worry. In hindsight I wish we had put these under the cabinets.

• Doris Rudd
    Original Author
    last year

@Beth H. : Thank you for the suggestions. I ordered some grey tile from Tilebar over the weekend. I received my blue samples on Saturday, but I'm starting to think neutral is the smarter way to go.

• Nidnay
    last year

I don’t normally comment on things the op hasn’t asked about, and I don’t have a suggestion on a backsplash, but have you considered painting the crown above the cabinets the same color as the cabinets? It seems a bit choppy to have white crown there with such a small soffit, and painting it the same color as the cabs would make things appear as if it the cabinets are going up to the ceiling and give a more cohesive look. Just a thought.

Doris Rudd thanked Nidnay
  • anna_682
    last year

@Doris Rudd FYI, It is not a big job to move your receptacles to under the cabinets. It would be a great option with a glass tile backsplash.

We left one receptacle on the bar area wall for the microwave.

Doris Rudd thanked anna_682
  • Doris Rudd
    Original Author
    last year

@Nidnay – that's something to consider. We've had to make many choices quickly in an effort to speed the process along. Once we're back in our house we'll most likely have a list of things to update.

• Doris Rudd
    Original Author
    last year

@elcieg – painting boards is a great idea. My grey tile arrived this week, but I've not been to the house to see it. I'm hoping tomorrow.

• PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    last year

I recommend to use a ceramic tile backsplash if you can buy tile that its handmade the color will vary and will looks rich and customize.

Doris Rudd thanked OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
  • Doris Rudd
    Original Author
    last year

@anna_682 – we decided to leave the receptacles as is. I would love them under the cabinets, but we've been displaced from home going on 15 months and don't want to cause any other delays.

• Doris Rudd
    Original Author
    last year

@OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc. Thank you for your reply. We decided to go with an ivory ceramic tile.

• Doris Rudd
    Original Author
    last year

@Home Interiors with Ease – Those are beautiful tiles! We decided to go with an ivory ceramic subway tile. A bit boring I know, but we'll add color in the kitchen accents.