yannac

Maple in Husk or Barley

yannac
2 years ago

Has anyone done Kraftmaid’s MAPLE cabinets in HUSK or BARLEY? Can I please see the pictures? Thank you!

Comments (256)

• Kate K
    8 months ago

Thank you Debbi! Very helpful and a lovely kitchen! I’m hoping it all comes together.

• Wendy S.
    8 months ago

@Carolyne Yonta

Drywall was just hung and mudding has started. Cabinets are here. I peaked inside the boxes and I am pretty excited. Hopefully cabinets will be in the next few weeks.

• Carolyne Yonta
    8 months ago

Thank you for the reply wendy! would love to see photos as it all comes together. We are doing a very similar kitchen in a few months! love the counters and cabinet combo

• M F
    8 months ago

Thank you everyone for sharing your beautiful kitchens! Does KM still allow husk on maple? If so, do you know what vendor sells that combo?

• Jeanine Amurata
    8 months ago

@M F

Lowes makes rustic maple on husk

• Stacey Johnson
    8 months ago

Lowes and home depot sell husk on rustic maple. Our KD with a local dealer also had this available. Kraftmaid no longer makes it with just maple, only rustic.

• Stacey Johnson
    8 months ago

Lowes and home depot provide husk on rustic maple. Our KD at a local dealer also had it available. kraftmaid only offers it in rustic maple not refular maple.

• M F
    8 months ago

Thanks everyone for sharing! So disappointing about no regular maple on husk!
    Any advice for a similar look?

• Stacey Johnson
    8 months ago

We decided to go with barley on maple because even though we liked the husk we didn’t like the rustic. I also saw husk on cherry that looked nice.

• Marianne Murphy
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

@Stacey Johnson

Yes, we did the solid wood shaker doors and I‘m pretty sure they are 3 inch. Sorry i just saw your comment! Have you ordered yours yet? Here are more pictures with the counters installed. Still need to install brick backsplash.

• Stacey Johnson
    8 months ago

@marianne murphy

Yes we ordered them about 3 weeks ago. supposed to be here 3 weeks from now. we have choosen our countertops-calacatta extra, but can’t decide yet on backsplash or floors. for our floors we are doing a luxury vinyl tile. I met with our designer today for her opinion on what we chose and she advised us to go much darker than we planned.

• Stacey Johnson
    8 months ago

@tacy boles

Do you remember the name of the tile backsplash you used ?

• Marianne Murphy
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

@Stacey Johnson we went with Ceasarstone Calacatta Nuvo for our countertops. I love it! I wasn’t crazy about our floors but they are growing on me. We had old wood floors (our house was built in 1820) and I loved them but they were in rough shape.

• Stacey Johnson
    8 months ago

@marianne your kitchen is beautiful!

• xmastree1
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

@marianne murphy The pictures of your kitchen are stunning. We just installed Barley cabinets and I love them. Now to pick out hardware. What color are your knobs/pulls? They don't look matte black - they look like a very dark grey. Love the color!

• Marianne Murphy
    7 months ago

@ xmastree1 Thank you so much! I love the barley cabinets too! We were looking for something that would be timeless and I think they will be. Our pulls are Amerock in wrought iron and the pulls are a different brand in weathered nickel. They matched perfectly but the brand I bought doesn't seem to be available anymore. There are also similar ones in antique silver. So many decisions to make when remodeling your kitcken!!

• Stacey Johnson
    7 months ago

We went with a gunmetal pull. The brand is called elements slade. We didn't like black and didn’t like silver so we went with an in between.

• PRO
    Michaela
    6 months ago

@rosifer What color are the white cabinets?

• Stacey Johnson
    6 months ago

Everything is done except flooring. We are in love with our new kitchen!

cabinets- Maple barley

countertops- calacatta extra

tile- bedrosians cloe white

• Stacey Johnson
    6 months ago

• Jeanine Amurata
    6 months ago

@Liz Pacini what kind of sink do you have? is it a kohler. im having a hard time with getting a sink

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    6 months ago

@Jeanine Amurata - The kohler whitehaven sink is really nice. Installers like it too because it is a real apron sink - meaning it slides over the cabinet front instead of being cut into it. There are 2 options - one with a shorter apron than the other - it depends on the cabinet you have; it will dictate the size of the apron.

Good luck

• Jeanine Amurata
    6 months ago

@Debbi Washburn i thought it was a kohler. Thats the one i was looking at. thank you so much for confirming.

• Sierra Means
    5 months ago

I’m in the process of redoing my kitchen with barley maple lowers and white dove uppers. I found this forum helpful when designing my kitchen so I thought I’d share photos. I was disappointed that I couldn’t get the husk stain on regular maple like many people have commented. I was afraid barley was going to be too warm of a color with orangey tones but it’s not. I’m happy with how it turned out.

• Holly Minneman
    5 months ago

@sierrameans Did you order those floating shelves through Kraftmaid or did you match the stain? i am wanting to make floating shelves, but need to find a stain that matches Barley.

• Holly Minneman
    5 months ago

@sierrameans Did you order the floating shelves from Kraftmaid or did you find a stain that matched Barley? I am making my own floating shelves and need to find a matching stain.

• Sierra Means
    5 months ago

@hollyminneman The shelves are also Barley from kraftmaid.

• Rachel
    4 months ago

Butler’s Pantry in Maple Barley suede! Still a work in progress

• Rachel
    4 months ago

Kitchen in Maple Barley suede! Still a work in progress

• HU-321045916
    4 months ago

What is the name of this countertop?

• HU-321045916
    4 months ago

@wendy s do you have a current picture of your kitchen???

• Rachel
    4 months ago

Taj Mahal quartzite

• Athena Nicolaides
    4 months ago

@shayvet I'm so sorry! I didn't see that you tagged me in your post. My flooring is Florida Tile Craftsman in the color biscuit!

• Stacerawk
    3 months ago

@rachel so they still have a suede finish option?

• Rachel
    3 months ago

@staceygelber I’m not sure since I purchased ours over a year ago!

• Stacerawk
    3 months ago

Ok thanks!! We’re going next Sunday for our final design! Still debating in my head if husk is going to be too rustic. Your kitchen looks beautiful!!

• PRO
    friend llc
    2 months ago

@Rachel what is the door style?

• Rachel
    2 months ago

@stacey I purchased them in October 2022 so I’m not sure! And @friendllc we did fielding in the kitchen and Thorton in the butlers pantry I believe

• Carolyne Yonta
    2 months ago

@Wendy S

Any kitchen update?! Excited to see your progress!

• Sierra Means
    2 months ago

Finished our barley maple kitchen

• Stacerawk
    2 months ago

C5. Looks great!

• Wendy S.
    2 months ago

@Carolyne Yonta

Still finishing up small projects but I will post some pics

• Wendy S.
    2 months ago

Kraftmaid Maple Barley and Dove White cabinets

Taj Mahal Quartzite

Calypso Oak Cortec floors

White Dove BM walls

Jeffery Court Taffeta White backsplash 3x12 subway tiles

White GE Cafe appliances

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    2 months ago

Looks great! Enjoy!

• dani_m08
    19 days ago
    last modified: 19 days ago

@Wendy S. - How close is your countertop cabinet to your sink? Are you worried about water damage? I’d like to have a countertop cabinet on the end of my cabinet run also. However, I am concerned that it may be too close to my sink. I’ve thought about adding some protection around the bottom by adding a 2” strip of my countertop (as a sort of side splash). I have seen some others where they raised the entire cabinet off of the countertop (similar to when placing a tower on a bathroom vanity) - but that interferes with the ability to open the doors and slide out an appliance.

Debbi Washburn - (can’t tag you - having issues tagging quite a few people these days) - What would you recommend as the closest distance between a sink and a countertop cabinet?

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    19 days ago

I don't know if there is even a "rule" for that. My best suggestion to my customers is to tape a paper towel on each side of the sink for days. See where the splashes go as you do dishes or rinse vegetables etc. That way you will know how close you can get and not have the side of the cabinet get wet

The piece above looks great but it is also cutting off some of the ease to using the peninsula to prep on.

• dani_m08
    18 days ago
    last modified: 18 days ago

Debbi - a simple idea that is perfect! Thank you! I am going to take a cardboard box - and make it the right dimensions for the cabinet - and stick it under my current wall cabinet. That way I will also be able to test what it feels like to lose that part of my countertop + also check for water over spray/drips.

My run of cabinets along that wall holds my sink + dishwasher currently (will be adding pull out trash) - my range is not on that wall. I also have an island instead of a peninsula = countertop cabinet will not cut off access to other prep space.

I really love the look of countertop cabinets + more importantly, like having no appliances sitting on the countertop.

One other Q for you - my original plan was to use the countertop cabinet as a home for my SO’s fancy espresso/latte machine (with a way to roll it out when in use) - but he’s been eyeing some new (even fancier) machine - so, I’m thinking about having a dedicated coffee bar area for him (I don’t drink coffee - but I thought it would be a nice surprise for him).

Do you think a coffee bar is a good use of space - in general? It seems like everyone I know drinks coffee - except for me!

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    17 days ago

A coffee bar/bev center is a great idea. However, it really depends on your layout and where it will be located. If you are going to do a machine the way you first mentioned, be sure to get all the appropriate dimensions. A standard appliance garage at 12" deep most like will not fit that machine so you need to factor that in as well.

Since you are not a coffee drinker, I would set the area up as a beverage center - mini ref for creamer and cocktails, glass cabinets for mugs and stemware, may a simple wine rack or place for liquor bottles, an electric water kettle for tea, etc

You might want to open your own thread and post your layout - you will get a lot if input from the pros!

• dani_m08
    16 days ago

Debbi - makes sense to expand from a coffee bar to a beverage center. I have been looking for my house drawings - I know that I kept them - but it’s been many years and I haven’t located them.

So, I am going to draw my kitchen out to scale and start my own post. I did some measuring yesterday - it’s an odd shaped kitchen!

I appreciate your help!

• K Staw
    14 hours ago

Loving this thread and all these great pictures! Trying to decide between the Barley on Maple or the Shortbread on Cherry. I really love the Barley on Maple. Does anyone have pictures of the Barley after a year or two year? I am worried about the color change everyone is talking about with the "yellowing" or orange. We bought an old house with knotty pine cabinets that are significantly orange and we just want to be sure we're not replacing one for another as the new cabinets age. We know the cherry cabinets will darken . Just not sure how the maple ones will look in a few years.