eeclecticz

Help with kitchen update

Hello everyone! We have recently purchased a home (well we actually close next week) and I am trying to get a jump start on renovations. First on deck is updating the kitchen. The pics are from the real estate listing are not typical of me style. The house is very traditional, although I am more eclectic I don't want stray too far in case we sell at some point. I started out just thinking I would paint the cabinets, new hardware, new back splash and countert

ops...and then I spent too much time in the idea books, lol. Now I am wondering if I should get new shaker doors? Start from scratch (probably not with my budget) My budget is somewhere around 50,000 but that would need to include appliances. So I know this isn't a really specific question, but I am interested in your advice/opinions as to what you would do if that were your budget? Thanks in advance for your time :)

Comments (70)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    4 years ago

Just adding new brushed nickel will make a difference...I love the hammered hardware from Pottery Barn...

• housegal200
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Brushed nickel is what to look for as Home Interiors suggests. You don't have to have the small old-fashioned knobs. Look at the very first photo I posted and the modern slim nickel pulls on drawers and cabinets--really a big modern upgrade. The nickel coordinates with faucet and stainless steel fridge for a streamlined look. Also note the rippled white backsplash if you plan to change that out. The ripples will reflect light and brighten the kitchen quite a bit.

• Related Discussions

Help me design my kitchen...instead of proper kitchen it's one big roo

Q

Comments (2)
    If you're in the area, you're welcome to join us for breakfast and a kitchen design class every second saturday of the month. Bring some photos and a professional can help you with design ideas. Here is a link with more info on the class: http://www.leichtny.com/how-much-will-your-kitchen-cost-class-registration Let us know if you have any questions.
    ...See More

Need help with vinly flooring for open plan kitchen & entrance. Help !

Q

Comments (3)
    Thanks One Plan for your recommendation. Would it be good to go for Herringbone pattern in hallway and in the open plan vinyl straight planks and then matching tile in the decking area. We have shortlisted karndean vinyl for open plan (Von Gogh Distressed Oak) althought not sure. Also what type of anti-slip material should I go for if I had to matching wooden look vinyl ?
    ...See More

Kitchen update help

Q

Comments (1)
    Painting the wall above the cabinets in blue matching the dining set, placing a nice rug below the dining table and adding blinds to kitchen windows with some plants will make the place chirpy and bright.
    ...See More

Need help in designing my kitchen

Q

Comments (16)
    hi , i have designed more than 60 kitchens and with my experience it's extremely difficult to cook with stove in the corner of moved a bit to the right it would end up too close to the sink if the space is less and whatever you wash there are chances that it may fall into the cooking bowl .it would really help if you let me know the measurements of that wall . If you want to try something new you can check out cooking corner solution famous in European countries
    ...See More
  • Kimberly Shackelford
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Housegal200 , the only issue is that the doors and drawers are drilled for knobs. Don't think I can do pulls...wish I could.

• cxg2
    4 years ago

listen to Home Interiors with Ease, her advice was spot on.

• Kimberly Shackelford
    Original Author
    4 years ago

These photos were the reason I was leaning towards brass. Maybe it only works with the cup pulls?

Eclectic Kitchen · More Info

Eclectic Kitchen · More Info

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    4 years ago

Well their are so many others elements in that kitchen that make it work some cabinets painted white...gold fancy range hood..marble countertops..vintage retro white and gold stove...and the cabinets are a rich dark cherry....its Not about one thing it is about all the other elements that are working together for a complete cohesive design.

• Kimberly Shackelford
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Makes sense Home Interiors with Ease Thank you

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    4 years ago

I am opposite from the other posters....I would rather get it done asap so I can enjoy it and the house will feel like my home....than all the other rooms will flow from the feel and design you create in your kitchen....I am in the kitchen all the time so it would drive me crazy;/.....unless this is your first home and a new young couple that doesn’t really know what they want....I am older and have had many kitchens ...believe me I know just what I want and need!:)) I have a feeling you do too! It is exciting so enjoy..keep us posted on your move in..and it will be fun to help you create a gorgeous dream kitchen.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

Kimberly,,,scroll up to my orig comment. i got the pics to load.

I agree w/HOme Interiors. I'd want it done before I moved in and got everything settled. you will need to completely unload all of the cabs. I can also tell you that it's an extreme mess to get them painted. I tore up the kitchen floor, but the carpet and adding wood floors are still down. Luckily those are the next items to come up as I'm doing a french oak wide plank wood flooring throughout the entire area. (w/that black/white cement tile in the pantry/back door entry as a rug accent) .

If you know what you want and are ready to move forward, get the wheels in motion before you really settle in.

If you would like to do handles instead of knobs, when they paint the cabs they will fill in the old holes. so if that's something you want, then wait for new hardware. otherwise, just get the new knobs.

I'm also in the middle of a complete reroof, exterior painting and a new 8' window that we just installed. including new drywall and all new trim work. I can tell you that doing all of that (and a complete kitchen redo) at one time is not for the faint of heart!

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

Realtor pics are the hardest to work from...I agree living there a while will be a good idea.....we also know nothing about what you like...need..and don’t need...how large your family is...whether you love to cook and if your family hangs out in the kitchen with you........or...what appliances need replacement...or are not needed and what new appliances you may want to add...the only obvious ....can’t live with points ....are the stove location and the outdated counter tops...so I would suggest you target the appliance needs...first...then add some great countertops...and paint all the walls and trim in a color that you love ....and goes with the counters...these changes may take up your budget or not...but they will bring this dated kitchen into a fresh new place that you can add on to as it becomes more apparent what more it may need....as this kitchen appears to be pretty large..you may want eliminate some of the upper cabinets as well to create a more open airy feel with some decorative open shelving ....for things you use everyday ....for easier access and and a prettier vision than long walls of solid cabinetry....I alway find the eliminated cabinets make an excellent addition to the garage for storage

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

I was looking at the Crown Point Custom Cabinetry Catalog and came across this photo which reminded me of your cabinets. Thought it was a good visual to show you what those items you are thinking of changing would look like if you didn't paint the cabinets.

Collection 6 · More Info

Kimberly Shackelford thanked tedbixby
  • User
    4 years ago

Skip the 20K worth of changes now that will ultimately be a mistake. If you want to change out your cooking appliance now, just do an induction top. You get the control of gas without the expense of needing to do any expensive plumbing runs to make that happen. And it won’t kill your OTR or cause you to have to do 5-7K worth of venting and cabinet rework.

Save the real real money to fix that bad layout. That is what a kitchen is all about. How it works. Or doesn’t. That one won’t work well. A remodel should not be about shiny froofery that doesn’t improve anything and just costs you more money in the end when you come to that realization after locking it all under expensive stone that now has to be trashed to fix it.

Dont focus on “decorating”. Focus on DESIGN. That is a whole different beast. And it’s far more important to get the design right first before focusing on the decor.

• Kimberly Shackelford
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@greendesigns Thank you for the input. I just don't think I can get on board with induction. I am an old school gas cooktop kind of person. I know they are amazing but I don't think it fits me, I love gas...even thinking of running a few gas lanterns on the front porch. My issue is the only real way to fix the "flow" would be to move the cooktop into the island, which I have in our current home. I actually really like it there, HOWEVER I detest the downdraft. They just don't work very well. My cooking style includes a ton of cast iron , searing and just all around messy, lol. I hear you about the design though, I am certainly worried about that because I love to cook and it's going to be a very long way between the fridge, prep and cooktop. Also, the oven directly beside the fridge is extremely odd to me

• Kristin S
    4 years ago

I definitely wouldn’t move a gas cooktop to the island.

As others have said, live with it for awhile and then decide what to do.

As for hardware, buy one or two of options you’re considering, put them on, and see what you think. The nice thing about hardware is it’s inexpensive enough that you can pretty easily test it out to see if, say, brass works.

• cxg2
    4 years ago

We put a gas cooktop with an overhead fan on our island...love it

• Kimberly Shackelford
    Original Author
    4 years ago

As far as layout is concerned, this is what I am thinking. To the left of the kitchen sink remove cabinets and do a nice range/cooktop with a full tile on the entire wall. Remove weird oven and fridge right next to each other and replace with full fridge/freezer combo. I think that should work pretty well other than the fridge being a little further away than I would like from the stove. Maybe I'll get more steps, lol? My concern with that is how "heavy" it will look to the right side of the sink if I do that. I can't really take down those cabinets without disrupting that entire row of cabinets because of the large appliance garage. I hope that I am making sense. Any thoughts?

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

I agree on the inefficiency of downdrafts...but also would never have my stove anywhere but on the island...there are lots of beautiful efficient overhead fans to make that work...paying the extra needed to get the quietest fan available is worth it as well....it is also handy to have the fridge...dishwasher...and sink close together...these changes are the most important...once established the counters can be safely installed...the rest can wait...

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

Since we have a total “open” floor plan we also installed 2 big ceiling exhaust fans ...this works for when you can smell the pork chops throughout the house...with the added plus of keeping the house cooler on warm days...without having to rely on the air conditioner so much...

• Kimberly Shackelford
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@ritasj Do you have a second story? If so how were they installed?

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

We have one story....our exhaust fans sit on the roof...I imagine in your case they would vent in the same way your kitchen fans over the stove would work....whatever it takes it is worth it...we live in the country so we are very committed to fresh air...one way we add to the efficiency is to leave a window open a crack so these fans also draw in the fresh air in adjacent spaces while exhausting heat or cooking odors as well

• ldsw93
    4 years ago

As for the bright brass knobs, I don't recommend using this bright a finish or color because of the color of the wood cabinets. Antique bronze hardware might work for the cabinets.

• ldsw93
    4 years ago

Not an interior or kitchen designer, but the appliances should be repositioned in the kitchen to limit or avoid making multiple trips around the island.

My inner sense tells me that the locations of the dishwasher and cooktop need to be switched. IMO, the dishwasher needs to be on the other side of the sink. As for the cooktop, it is too far from the wall oven that's on the other side of the kitchen Imagine having to sear meat in a cast iron pan on your cooktop and then having to to finish it in the oven; that's a long way to have to walk with a hot and heavy cast iron pan. That alone gives me pause as a hazard within the kitchen.

The refrigerator is in an odd place next to the wall oven, so the refrigerator may need to be relocated somewhere else in the kitchen (the energy flow in that location alone seems disastrous with the mix of hot and cold air, not to mention the colliding oven and refrigerator doors). The refrigerator may also need to be relocated where a landing zone can be added to address the flow for putting things down when your hands are full (how is that working now in the current layout?).

As others have mentioned, try living with the kitchen for a while to determine how you work within that space. Consult with a knowledgeable professional or review the NKBA guidelines to determine an optimal kitchen layout, keeping in mind your local plumbing, electrical, and building codes as you decide on those changes.

• Kimberly Shackelford
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I am blown away by the fact that everyone takes so much time to respond and give feedback . It means alot to me as I know time is a valuable commodity these days. What an amazing forum!! I am continuing to work through some of the lay out options. Waiting not so patiently to get into the house and get true measurements so that I can truly begin that part of the process. In the meantime I am working on getting the color scheme/ aesthetic nailed down :) I have ordered large samples of this paint color to see if it will work in the home. Here is my inspiration photo from Jaclyn Peters Design. I would also like to incorporate a similar hood to this if I can get it into the budget. The cabinet color is SW- Billiard Green

green kitchen cabinets - Google Search · More Info

• athomeeileen
    4 years ago

Kimberly, is this an older colonial home in an older colonial/historic area? Your new house reminds me of the stately older homes in my area, around Philadelphia. I only ask because the automatic shaker style door with eclectic fixtures recommendation doesn't fit these types of homes very well. But your raised panel cabs sure do. Maybe you're in a modern neighborhood, then disregard my ramblings!

• Kimberly Shackelford
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@athomeeeileen This home is a colonial style home..but it is only 30 years old :) The person that built it definitely modeled it after those homes though. I live in the suburbs of Atlanta so finding house with any sort of character is difficult at best. We have a million tract homes and "McMansions" galore. I think that is why I was drawn to it. I REALLY want an old home, but my kids and family are invested in the area, I would like to stay true to the design she created but put a little bit of my eclectic spin on it. My inspiration photo is mostly the color scheme. I agree it needs to be a little more traditional. I have attached a few pics for reference .I hope it's not too much information :) These are pics with the current owners furnishings. I also collect antiques, but my style is a little more casual.

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

Kimberly-

A few yrs back I purchased a home that leans more towards traditional but like you my taste are more eclectic. The kitchen cabinets are white and not worth repainting so I'm going to gut mine. I've been leaning towards green cabinets and seeing your listing photos I think a green would look nice. When you hire the painter, have him paint the inside of one of the cabinet doors to make sure that the green isn't too "farm house" as I think there is a fine line working with green as to the style direction it can take.

This is the inspiration photo that got me to thinking about green cabinets and I'm thinking of going with something like this color which I haven't identified. I think it a custom color and is a combination of green, brown and grey and may have a glaze over it.

Modern French · More Info

• PRO
    Laqfoil Ltd.
    4 years ago

An amazing ceiling print would fit the aesthetic of your kitchen perfectly! We specialize in stuff like this and have over 5000 completed projects in residential homes. You can see more of our concepts on our page. And if you want to take it further send us a message, we'd love to help.

• Kimberly Shackelford
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@tedbixby That kitchen is fabulous! Love the color. Agreed that the green could be too farmhouse if I'm not careful. Received my sample of Billiard Green yesterday and it might be a tad brighter than I thought. I am considering choosing a green from the Williamsburg Collection by Benjamin Moore.

• felizlady
    4 years ago

The counters appear to be laminate with those rounded edges. The cabinets appear to be good quality in good condition. I would change the

• felizlady
    4 years ago

Oops!
    I would change the counters and add some runner rugs for color. Then live with the kitchen for a year or so to decide if the layout works for you.

• sandyie
    4 years ago

Hi! I was literally in the same spot last year. New house, 50k budget and impatient. This is what I did for 50:
    New appliances except for range, but we added a built in coffee machine, convection oven microwave and splurged on a custom hood. Refaced some of the cabinets but had all the uppers (removed 2 completely) replaced because I wanted them to reach the ceiling, extended the island to 10ft and added pantry cabinets instead of the closet. We also have a small bar area that we removed the upper cabinets and added floating shelves.
    I saved money on the backsplash by doing a simple stock tile in a herringbone pattern.
    Some electrical work was needed for the lighting layout and micro that we put in the island. I also sold the old appliances and granite —which helped a tiny bit :)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    4 years ago

I would consider a deeper green....

• Kimberly Shackelford
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@sandyie Thank you so much for taking the time to share. Your kitchen is gorgeous! Wish I had a wolf range to start with :)

• Kimberly Shackelford
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Home Interiors with Ease, that board is beautiful . I'm back in layout mode at the moment. What are your thoughts on removing cabinets to left of sink and putting in range and hood (I have 108" from wall to edge of sink) and the full fridge and freezer where the current wall oven and fridge are? It seems like it may not the absolute best layout but might be the most financially feasible? Any suggestions for how to make that look cohesive with the left side of sink? Might have room for some shelves on either side of the hood? Also with the 108" I'm thinking I would be smarter to stick with a 36" range to have enough prep space?

• Kimberly Shackelford
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@sandyie how do you like your layout? I have considered moving my stove to the same wall as you have and them moving the fridge to where yours is as well.. I''m a little concerned about the cost of all of those moves though. I will be basically reworking 1/2 the cabinetry at that point. No to mention venting and running gas would be easier on that outside wall

• Gcubed
    4 years ago

Following

• sandyie
    4 years ago

I’m happy with the layout. On the other wall (not shown) is the sink with the dishwasher on the left.
    Have you made any decisions?

Beth H—would love to see your finished kitchen! What is the black tile you showed? Is it zellige?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

sandy, yes. it was from CleTile when they were unloading all of their zellige and earthenware tiles. I got quite a bit of the black, plus the bright blue, blue/green and the cement tiles

I don't know where I"m using the blue or green ones yet. the cement tiles will go on the back entryway floor as a 'rug' accent, inset w/the french oak flooring.

here's the coffee bar area that I will do the herringbone. walnut shelving.

• sandyie
    4 years ago

I love their tiles!! It looks so pretty! I ordered samples for my backsplash but it didn’t look nice with the quartz counters. I would love to use them in my next project (kids bath) but it would put me over budget—and the kids wouldn’t appreciate them. I found a much cheaper ceramic tile that is somewhat similar (not really-lol) but for the price you can’t beat it. I really want the black 2x8, vertically. But it might be too overwhelming for a shower.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

i've seen those montauk tiles. I like them. If your bathroom has enough lighting, the black will be fine. I do like the 4x4 in the offset pattern though.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    4 years ago

Hi Kimberly...in Denver visiting my daughter and preparing for her wedding in September..sorry I missed your post......I think the left of the sink seems to be the best spot for the range..any decisions made yet? What did you think of the deeper green?

• mardsz
    4 years ago

@sandyie what color are your cabinets painted?

• sandyie
    4 years ago

Hi. SW Dorian Gray (the picture is not really accurate). The kitchen is painted SW repose gray (2 shades up).
    When the quartz (aurea Lincoln) was installed it was much cooler than expected. The sample I had was a warm white with gray veining. initially I was very upset with the cabinets/quartz combo Bc Dorian Gray is on the warmer side and they looked awful together. I ended up (re) painting all of the trim, doors, spindles etc to SW extra white, Bc the quartz was such a bright white and everything looked “off”.
    I was devastated, but I’m over it now—clearly. Lol

• Kimberly Shackelford
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Home Interiors with Ease...I like the darker green :) Quick space question, to the left of the sink I have 108" from wall to edge of the sink. Can I do a 48" cooktop? That would leave 30" on either side...or would I be better off sticking with a 36"?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    4 years ago

Hi Kimberly....30” is plenty I would go big! I cook a lot and wish this builder would have installed the larger size..

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    4 years ago

Loved the images posted of the new home! So beautiful...is it official yet?

• Kimberly Shackelford
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Home Interiors with Ease, it is official! Although they still have two more weeks to move out. I met with a flooring company and a painter today. I LOVE your idea board. So here is my newest dilemma. I will need to paint the rest of the house, and the blue color you see in the kitchen is throughout the house. Mantle, Trim, Doors, Windows etc. If i am going to do the kitchen green, I feel like the blue will need to be changed out...but I don't have any idea to what color. I have attached photos of some of the other main areas of the house. The plan is to strip the heart pine and maybe either go natural or a lighter stain. The living r

oom window is a major focal point, so I am afraid to to go too light or neutral because the color makes it pop. However, if I keep the blue and then do a green kitchen will it look like a circus? :>P

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    4 years ago

So exciting! Congratulations

do all the doors black or dark charcoal..... it looks Amazing! Easy fix over the blue paint! Neutral drapery pops and bold accent colors will look so beautiful.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    4 years ago

With your added vintage or antique pieces could really be fabulous!

• nosoccermom
    4 years ago

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but first thing, I'd paint the crown molding, chair and shoe moldings white. Probably also the window trim.