lauraleedesigns

White Living Rooms? Love It or Leave It?

The trend toward white living spaces is still going strong! What are your thoughts? Do you love it or are you over it?

Energy Chandelier · More Info

Yes! Love it!
No. Give me color!
It's great, but not for me.

Comments (107)

• faylala
    7 years ago

Amen Kelsey!

Laura Lee Designs thanked faylala
  • rupertthecat
    7 years ago

I love white rooms - Linen White paint is my go-to wall color everywhere...pale sofas...now I've added two rich brown leather chairs on either side of the fireplace, and it's a great combination...

Laura Lee Designs thanked rupertthecat
  • Related Discussions

Need Help for my living room lightning please suggest me

Q

Comments (66)
    OK... but the wire wont be lower as it is fixed now. The wire in the pics below is the wall facing each other. They were leveled on equal height but the beam on one wall makes it seem a little above. But i think you guys are absolutely right that up and down lights wont look good there. I think you are right about down lights lessismoore. Would it look good if i go with two different lights on opposite walls??? it would look odd right.
    ...See More

Need help in colors for living room

Q

Comments (1)
    How about starting out with a piece of beautiful Indian textile work as an inspiration for your space, or recycled sari fabric, or similar. With your very bright light, you can go a lot more saturated than more northern climates.
    ...See More

Need help for living room colors..

Q

Comments (6)
    I have a couple of suggestions for you. Recover sofa in a very light gray fabric, and add pillows in various blue tones, plus add art to wall. Or if you like a more muted colour scheme, this is nice with light Aqua and some yellow and gray pillows. It looks good with dark brown.
    ...See More

Please can you help with living room it's a rented accommodation

Q

Comments (0)
    Would like to know what colour furniture to put in pine /black/white for TV unit I also homeschool so need some units to store our books having concerto sofas from dfs they are a gold /brown would like to maximise on this space The the last two pictures are of the second room here I will be having brown leather sofas studded, In the alcoves will be having two bookcases made as I have about 500 books or more and would like some ideas for it to look more morroccan any ideas also for the window and curtains I would love shutter blinds GJWWWWWW
    ...See More
  • Sue Burns
    7 years ago
    While it may be lovely to look at, it is not for me. Growing up, every wall was white and I always hated it, so of course my house has plenty of color. My personal rule is to use neutrals in the expensive things like carpet and put color on the walls and other things that are less expensive to change. I do love my white kitchen cabinets, but the walls have a soft apple green striped wallpaper for contrast. It also depends on where you live. It tends to look better in warm climates I think. Last, but not least, we raised 3 sons on this house - so white would not have stayed white very long!
    Laura Lee Designs thanked Sue Burns
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    7 years ago

Yes, but more modern...

Crystal's Penthouse · More Info

Custom glass TV base · More Info

Laura Lee Designs thanked Studio NOO Design
  • kweendixie
    7 years ago

awesome 2016 design.

Laura Lee Designs thanked kweendixie
  • estherose
    7 years ago

My whole family does white houses inside and out. And we all live in different climates; I in Florida, my niece in very northern Quebec and my sister somewhere in the middle. My first house in Florida 32 years ago was a beach bungalow with white tongue & groove cathedral beamed ceilings, white washed wood floors, plastered textured white walls in every room. And a white brick fireplace in the livingroom. We bought 2 very expensive white leather sofas and since those sofas ate our whole budget I filled the rest of the house with plants. Lots of them. Huge ones. And seashells on the window sills. And a few dark brown "antique" pieces of furniture. Some colorful pillows. And huge paintings on the walls. All my linens were white (easy to bleach). Even our clothes were mostly white. It was a dreamy beautiful time of my life that I dearly miss.

Laura Lee Designs thanked estherose
  • kamster2000
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I live in a lakehouse and have many guests and activities. My main room has a white slipcovered sofa, sectional, three arm chairs and six dining room chairs. My secret is hydrogen peroxide and white cotton balls. That is what nurses use to remove blood from their uniforms. My room is filled with color with art, accent tables and custom pillows. The white is easier then my brown sectional in my den that I have to shave to remove the lint.

Laura Lee Designs thanked kamster2000
  • laragazza
    7 years ago

Gorgeous and I sure would do it! LOVE THAT WINGBACK CHAIR!

Laura Lee Designs thanked laragazza
  • jewilson52
    7 years ago

Needs contrasting elements in the room.

Laura Lee Designs thanked jewilson52
  • wandajclarke
    7 years ago
    I like the white. That why you can add color by using pillows or throws. You can change the Colors out at any time to give a different look.
    Laura Lee Designs thanked wandajclarke
  • PRO
    Architecture Studio, Inc.
    7 years ago

Nice room for adults, not necessarily for children. Love how the light just overflows throughout the room.

Laura Lee Designs thanked Architecture Studio, Inc.
  • rupertthecat
    7 years ago

Love pale colors....so soothing and beautiful to me...ivories, whites, soft ecru, with some pale Tuscan yellows, greens and blues in a few accessories...

Laura Lee Designs thanked rupertthecat
  • Molly Matthews
    7 years ago

Looks like a cold, impersonal model home, devoid of an owner's personality. (Or maybe that IS their personality. If so, my apologies!)

Laura Lee Designs thanked Molly Matthews
  • Crystal Renee
    7 years ago

I think it looks great, the space seems bright and open. The use of throw pillows make the room more cozy too. The light color is not so practical for me though with children and pets. I would maybe add some couch covers and pillow covers for protection. If you need ideas for some cushion covers to keep with the theme or add a pop of color, check out these solid color throw pillows.

Laura Lee Designs thanked Crystal Renee
  • PRO
    Laqfoil Ltd.
    7 years ago

Love the look, just need to be careful about stains

Laura Lee Designs thanked Laqfoil Ltd.
  • kellyanncapone918
    7 years ago
    I love all white. It Ivan be so many things.... Modern, sophisticated, rustic. Textures used dictate look and style. Also, I find it surprisingly easy to keep. Many white fabrics are easier to maintain than darker textiles. They seem to be able to hold up to harsher spot cleaning solutions. Clean and inviting and changes with the light of the day. Love!!!!
    Laura Lee Designs thanked kellyanncapone918
  • Hope
    7 years ago
    love it really nice!
    Laura Lee Designs thanked Hope
  • nmowers
    7 years ago

We're too messy for white, and our flat screen is in the living room so not a good color choice for our lifestyle. But looks clean and stylish, and you can add a lot of texture and layers of whitish shades. Easier to "live" in a white bedroom, bath or kitchen, though.

Laura Lee Designs thanked nmowers
  • Brandi Rea
    7 years ago
    I Love it even tho I do not have a single white wall in my house!
    Laura Lee Designs thanked Brandi Rea
  • Mia Ghordlo
    7 years ago
    With snow outside for six months, and all white living room, I would definitely go blind, no thanks
    Laura Lee Designs thanked Mia Ghordlo
  • PRO
    Design Matters TT
    7 years ago

Living with white all around me is like living with all the colors in the world ready to be placed on a white canvas. As a designer myself, I find the absence of color so inspirational and stimulates my imagination without any kind of influence of color. Living in the tropics, white is such a perfect backdrop for all the lively and vibrant colors that surround us everyday. If you like color, then you can even mix and match throw pillows & accessories in any color you fancy, and maybe one accent wall or ceiling color. That's the beauty of white (and grays).... And white forces you to keep the space clean and organized, so if you've got kids around, use paints and surfaces that can easily wipe clean. No fuss.

Laura Lee Designs thanked Design Matters TT
  • gemkeeper
    7 years ago
    I love the look. I don't see this as a white room, but a neutral room. The walls are white, but the fireplace adds lovely multi-hued neutrals as does each piece of furniture. It is a beautiful blend of soft shades of gray, beige, ivory, white, green, etc. In
    The winter I would add some soft colors to warm the room up visually with muted shades of red and blues in pillows, afghans, and artwork. Winter may be the time to add a soft charcoal gray drape at the windows. I would love to have this cozy, quiet room.
    Laura Lee Designs thanked gemkeeper
  • amnorcal
    7 years ago

This is absolutely beautiful and peaceful. I'd love to have it. Of course, neither my husband nor I feel the need to eat dinner while sitting on our white(-ish) furniture. Maybe that's the difference.

Laura Lee Designs thanked amnorcal
  • kristinanadreau
    7 years ago

I have always had white sofas......... 4 kids, 10 cats, always at least 2 sloppy dogs and often either a husband or a boyfriend.... Today I have ivory artist canvas drop clothes on the sofas and chairs so when a dog sheds I just wash the drop clothes. When guests are expected, I lock the beasts out and whip off the coverings to enjoy my white rooms and white furniture. I have lovely Chinese antiques and paintings to draw the eye. White is easy to keep clean when you plan for it and accommodate real life. everything can not be gray/beige marl so it does not show the daily filth of children and pets. I prefer to eat at the dining table not on the sofa.

Laura Lee Designs thanked kristinanadreau
  • tudorcottage
    7 years ago

Kristina, your room sounds absolutely lovely; love your style with the Chinese antique accents. I too love an "all shades of white" room with a gorgeous colorful large painting to draw the eye. Love your idea of canvas drop cloths for the sofas, you just have to do that with pets and kids, living can be a bit challenging for white, but you nailed it. I too eat at the dining table, it is just what our parents taught us !

Laura Lee Designs thanked tudorcottage
  • sangell
    7 years ago

Love the idea of white/ivory drop cloths to cover the sofa's when pets are around. Beats colored sheets to protect them!! Going to buy some now!! Thanks for the tip!

Laura Lee Designs thanked sangell
  • Heidi Barnes
    7 years ago

For people that have children and do the type of things family should do like kids running around, touch furniture.., might occasionally walk around the house eating a snack... Add a dog. I guess it is one of those type of rooms you see in a magazine and you wish you could have... IF! You did not have children and a dog. Not practical.

Laura Lee Designs thanked Heidi Barnes
  • Viviyan Lee
    7 years ago

I love it. The look is elegant! This shows the family has grown up and takes care of their home and belongings. No pigs live here.

Laura Lee Designs thanked Viviyan Lee
  • Vivian Chenoweth
    7 years ago
    One reason I like white rooms is that when I want color I can add color with accessories.
    Laura Lee Designs thanked Vivian Chenoweth
  • Lynn
    7 years ago
    White is not practical for kids and pets. Those who love it must either have neither or have been misled on how far scotch guard will go to protect.
    Laura Lee Designs thanked Lynn
  • Lynn G
    7 years ago

I love white rooms - just needs 2 things: wood for warmth and pops of color. Otherwise it can be as boring as going all beige, or all grey, toupe, etc.

Laura Lee Designs thanked Lynn G
  • User
    7 years ago

I think white rooms would be very popular in hot climates or at the beach. I do like the look of dark wood furniture with white and cream textiles and walls, which is common in Mediterranean type climates. However, in a cold climate like ours, where the scenes outside tend to be white (snow) or gray (no snow, no leaves, basically color-free) for long months, having a white interior would be like a scene from a depressing Bergman film. Warm tones in the house keep it cosy when everything outside is bitter cold and colorless.

Laura Lee Designs thanked User
  • Hunter Hampton
    7 years ago

My living room, I love it....

Laura Lee Designs thanked Hunter Hampton
  • carolynlyman
    7 years ago
    kimann - depended on who the red wine was being served to...
    Laura Lee Designs thanked carolynlyman
  • PRO
    Multiphase Technology
    7 years ago
    love it
    Laura Lee Designs thanked Multiphase Technology
  • Jeri Hancock
    7 years ago
    I love it!!! color confuses me.
    Laura Lee Designs thanked Jeri Hancock
  • PRO
    Multiphase Technology
    7 years ago
    love it
    Laura Lee Designs thanked Multiphase Technology
  • Marie Dow
    7 years ago

I Love love love it

Laura Lee Designs thanked Marie Dow
  • Jan
    7 years ago
    Love this room, I wouldn't say it's white, more ivory, beige tones.
    Laura Lee Designs thanked Jan
  • Teresa Rutherford
    7 years ago

Washable slipcovers are the key to living with white. :-)

Laura Lee Designs thanked Teresa Rutherford
  • Hunter Hampton
    7 years ago

I have dog covers on my white furniture. If I have company they come off.

Laura Lee Designs thanked Hunter Hampton
  • PRO
    Let's Remodel
    7 years ago

I like white for tile and other hard surfaces, but I have a hard time using white fabrics ( chairs, couches, etc). What can I say, I love snacking while watching a movie in the living room a bit too much and I would be paranoid of spills if everything was white!

Laura Lee Designs thanked Let's Remodel
  • feyenjudy
    7 years ago

I love the look and tried it a number of years ago in our new house . We live in Michigan and after spending the whole winter with white outside for 5 months I had to add color for my sanity. Think all white is beautiful in warm areas of the county.

Laura Lee Designs thanked feyenjudy
  • PRO
    The Quiet Moose
    7 years ago

Love it!

Laura Lee Designs thanked The Quiet Moose
  • feyenjudy
    7 years ago

Hi Quiet Moose

We have visited and purchased at your beautiful store many times when vacationing in Petoskey Mi.

Laura Lee Designs thanked feyenjudy
  • PRO
    A Lasting Impression
    7 years ago

If you have the luxury of having a living room and family room, then you can have the best of both worlds. I have a white/beige living room that is very serene, and I change out the pillows and accessories for spots of color. I have full saturated bright and lively color in my family room. If you have only one living space, then go with the color scheme that is best for your psyche, lifestyle, stress levels, etc.

Laura Lee Designs thanked A Lasting Impression
  • User
    7 years ago

White is as good as any neutral color. It's all in how u present the whole package.

Laura Lee Designs thanked User
  • zumba10155
    7 years ago

Love it! It is definitely my style but wouldn't have considered it while raising my four kids.

Laura Lee Designs thanked zumba10155
  • PRO
    Laura Lee Designs
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes zumba10155! It's certainly hard to incorporate white into a kid-friendly design, but it is definitely a beautiful look!

• PRO
    Cameron's Design
    7 years ago

The ivory color scheme is perfect for this decor

Laura Lee Designs thanked Cameron's Design