shane_johnson5903

Ugly Brick Exterior!

Shane Johnson
11 years ago
I have a 1941 Cottage style home. Brick exterior - in yellow, red and brown tones. I hate the exterior color scheme. The only idea i have right now is to stain the brick red, black shutters and white trim, to give it a cape cod cottage brick look. The only problem being the brick is very textured and hand brushing the stain will be extremely tedious. Especially if i have to wax off the mortar. This leaves me spraying the stain and brick all at once maybe? I am open to all good ideas! I hate the outside!

Comments (37)

• PRO
    Interiors International, Inc.
    11 years ago
    I think the brick could work as is. It is the rest of the colors that need to change. Try painting some tag board panels in warm tones and put them against the brick. I think a brick red paint color might change your mind about the brick. You could do the trim in that color and a lighter color on the eave area. Keeping in warmer darker tones.
  • Lizabeth
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I am going to agree that the brick is not the problem. I think the pinky flesh tone paint on the gable is fighting the brick. I would love to see a whole new color scheme using earth/green tones which would compliment the brick I think. Olive green in the gables and cream trim would change everything and so much easier to paint than the brick.
  • Related Discussions

Privacy Feature as Vertical Garden or Creepers for Building Exterior

Q

Comments (3)
    Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, it definitely sounds like a good idea... just need to check on the cost factor, labor charges etc. considering the steep height of 3 walls, all together on all 3 sides. It would definitely cut down on water consumption & maintainance costs that would go with the vertical gardens.
    ...See More

Ask the Houzz Experts: Revamping your Home's Exterior----CLOSED

Q

Comments (23)
    Hi Rahul Satija To answer your question, regarding which material to use for the outsides of your home Terracotta Brick - unless you have used bricks that are meant to be left exposed, ordinary bricks will take in a lot of water and leave the walls damp, and hence not a great idea. You could ofcourse cover it with a veneer of brick cladding but that is something we would not propose. Between wooden cladding and paint, it frankly depends completely on your budget. Wooden cladding looks extremely good but is quite pricey. Our suggestion would be to paint the majority of the home, with highlights in parts in wooden cladding.
    ...See More

exterior material

Q

Comments (7)
    hello.. what do you think briks r also in trend right now in 2020 ??
    ...See More

how can I make exposed brick wall design?

Q

Comments (4)
    Ardhendu, What are the walls made of ? You may not need plastering for this wall if it is made of red bricks. Else there are multiple ways to achieve the look. Brick tiles, plaster compound are the most prevalent ones. Thanks Nitin CORNERSTONE DESIGNS , Bangalore
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    3-I is right about the brick, the previous paint job pulled colors from it and failed. A contrast would be better. Also an alternative to the aluminum awning and upgrading from a deck to a more finished entry stair will help the overall curb appeal.
  • PRO
    K&R Contractors, Inc
    11 years ago
    I agree with everyone...don't forget about bringing a great dark wood tone color to the stairway and the porch to bring much needed balance.
  • househaunted
    11 years ago
    I agree that there's nothing intrinsically ugly about the brick, it's just a bad color combo (not horrifically bad or anything) and with the right paint color on the rest of the house the brick can look great.

My Houzz: Rooftop Retreat Addition in Toronto · More Info

Glen Ellyn Addition · More Info
  • Lizabeth
    11 years ago
    I agree with Ironwood and KBR the aluminum awning is really drab. Lose that and the railing and make a wider step and a real porch overhang. I bet that door is used so much more than the front door and would benefit from some love and sprucing in general.

This is a porch that I put on a house that had nothing before. I realize this is a bit too large for yours but you get the idea I hope.
  • nstrong
    11 years ago
    The new idea in my city is "paint the brick". I can relate to your feelings about the colors. I don't think the brick is bad with the right trim/accent color. Do I see green in some of the brick? If you simply hate the brick then paint the entire house a color you like. And yes, change the side door entrance.
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    Painting the brick creates instant character and a classic aesthetic. Similar paint tones on all elements creates a monochromatic look.
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    One caveat about painting brick..you just took a close to zero maintenance facade to a once every 10-15 years heavy duty, expensive project. Get a bid for the siding and trim from a couple of reputable local painters and an alternate to prep and paint the brick...do the math and make an informed decision!
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    Note - The painted brick home above is 11 years old and has still not required maintenance on its original paint. Secure professional painters and good quality paint.
  • PRO
    Aegean Design Studio
    11 years ago
    I like the idea of painting the brick a color you like. A home in our neighborhood did this in a taupe color with white trim and every time I drive by it, I really like it! Go for it! Chrysteen
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    Toni...paint is paint. It sits on top of a surface and eventually needs to be redone. Exterior paint especially is subject to weather and sometimes extreme weather, like freeze thaw conditions. Modern acrylics have changed timelines for exterior paint...used to be refresh every 7-10years...now we say 10 -15 and if you get a couple more years that is great. But near ZERO maintenance to a guaranteed paint job?
  • hparks74
    11 years ago
    http://houzz.com/photos/344719

Here is a nice color scheme. You may want to consider replacing siding i with shaker shingles. It's not your brick that is missing the mark. I think the reddish maroon trim is to dark and not well exhibited in the brick. I think they were trying to pull out a color that isn't there rather than compliment the colors that are.
  • kitasei
    11 years ago
    I think the brick is good looking. Sophisticated even. The trim colors, and style of the awning and stairs cheapen an otherwise very handsome house IMO.
  • Brenda Fisher
    11 years ago
    I like the brick as is, the paint does clash with the brick and the roof though. If you do decide to leave the brick and paint the siding I would suggest you also update the landscaping. The bright green shrubbery also clashes with the brick. Adding some darker greens would go a long way towards anchoring that brick to the ground. Changing the concrete walkway to a stone one or even staining the existing one would also add more charm. Right now the modern straight lines, dark roof and bright green shrubs make the brick look like it is floating at eye level. Add the colour clash siding and no wonder you hate it. If you do paint get it done professionally, accidentally sealing in your weeping holes would be a very costly mistake.
  • Shane Johnson
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the tips so far guys and gals. I was not able to attach all pictures. Here is the front of the house, (arbor vitae and cedar has been removed). This is my curb side. I will also attach a close up. The brick up close has more of a yellow/green tinge to it than the first picture lets on. The prior owner had the trim painted this brown, as it was white before. I also hate the aluminum siding and awning and while its not when its raining and the dog is out, I agree its hideous. The deck is also on the to-do list this summer. I will be pressure washing and staining the whole deck (unsure of color yet), re-topping the railings, and my thought was wrought iron spindles in between the wood posts.
  • rinked
    11 years ago
    Pull the attention away from the brick. And remove that thing above the door, it doesn't add to the house (and that's nicely said). Example:
  • Shane Johnson
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    yes - the landscaping will be updated, that is something i actually know a thing or two about :) and i agree the deck looks like crap... waiting for warm weather before i can do any of this, this house is on the MN/WI border.
  • Shane Johnson
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    ringreation what program is that!? i want to play! that looks great!
  • Shane Johnson
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    still trying to upload more photos, but it is not uploading for me... maybe my pics are too large?
  • Shane Johnson
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    figured it out, Houzz doesnt like bitmaps :) - this is the front of the house - arbor vitae and cedar have been removed, and large pine trimmed up. just bought it at the end of summer and was focused on removing smelly cat carpet, refinishing all the hard wood floors, painting entire main level, and gutting main floor back and redoing the whole thing. efforts this year will be placed on exterior and on adding master suite in the attic, as well as some work in the basement.

anyway - keep the ideas coming...

This is the staining product i spoke of... .

www.dyebrick.com - due to the texture hand staining with a brush would be a nightmare though....and i wouldnt want to lose the contrast of the mortar :(
  • Shane Johnson
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @househaunted - i wish my brick was either of those colors you posted. i would have painted the gable and trim and called it a day.
  • PRO
    EXOVATIONS
    11 years ago
    There are some options besides staining the brick. As someone mentioned above, painting it is always an option and adding in some other exterior materials like shake or stone can make a drastic difference! Here are some images of some brick transformations- The featured home for our EXOVISION did the combination I mentioned above with painting the brick and adding stone. These homeowners also added copper bay tops for a dramatic pop. As you see, they actually did an architectural rendering before they did the work to see what all the changes would look like. That is always a good idea as well if you can find someone inexpesnive.
  • Shane Johnson
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I agree with your points about paint and loving your house, however, this is my current home, but overall an investment property, resale is important, and paint on brick may scream maintenance to the uninformed. I am also worried about the freeze/thaw factor being in a 4 season Minnesota climate.
  • Shane Johnson
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    lots to think about!
  • kitasei
    11 years ago
    the new picture you posted confirms my first opinion. The brick - and the dark brown roof and trim - are good looking. The colors you want for the rest should be taken from a Tudor pallet. Ditto the landscaping. Evergreens. Plant some classic rhododendron, azalea, andromeda, etc. in a bed of pachysandra, vinca, or ivy.. Make the yellow/brown tones a feature by incorporating some evergreens with yellow variegation (not all, just one or two.) If after all this you still don't love it, I say sell it (for a nice profit after you've brought out its potential) and buy your white cape cottage!
  • parsleycarrots
    11 years ago
    I have to agree with Ironwood Builders--brick is zero maintenance. Paint will need maintenance at some point.

Shane, if this is an investment property--don't paint the brick. You have a great classic home with beautiful architectural details that just need some care. The corner windows and the wavy siding on the upper floor at the front is really great--those are things that a buyer with a taste for classic homes will latch onto!

Get a few sample cards of paint and dress up the wood components, then spend your effort on clearing away the overgrowth in front of the house, and reconditioning the front stoop. The brick is lovely and with a complimentary color scheme on the wood components, you'll have a knock out little treasure.

Below are some Sherwin-Williams colors that may work: White Flour, Van Dyke Brown, and Rural Green. Good luck!
  • rinked
    11 years ago
    The program used is (just) Gimp.
  • rinked
    11 years ago
    And I suggest replacing at least one of the 'trees' for a shrub, I guess they weren't meant to be that huge.
  • Lizabeth
    11 years ago
    I agree that the plantings on the right are oversized and ruining the line of the house. Shane just because you dislike the brick does not mean every buyer will hate it. Just as likely they will love it. Some plantings and the right colors for the gable, trim and steps will do wonders for your street appeal.
  • Shane Johnson
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I like the color on the trim i may go red! door - not a yellow fan, maybe green, close to what you did the trim in before. And i mentioned it above but, the arbor vitae and cedar have already been removed, it was the only landscaping i did last year. as i bought the house in august, and focused on the interior so i could move in. this spring i will do more landscaping.
  • rinked
    11 years ago
    I'm not a yellow fan either, but I do like giving a house it's honor and some of it's intended glory back. And if that takes yellow, I will paint it yellow.
  • mdamron61
    11 years ago
    Give the brick a good power washing! Then paint the trims, door, and gable. Be open minded with the colors at first. You may be surprised at what you end up painting with.
  • bethlucien
    7 years ago
    Is there a way to improve this exterior and give it more curb appeal?
  • decoenthusiaste
    7 years ago

bethlucien - this dilemma is from 2014. I responded to your dilemma on your own thread. What did you think of my suggestions?

• PRO
    Delap flexible stone LLC
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

The brick is quite unique! the only thing you can improve is to match siding on the top! Please take a look at our Wild Flex Stone by Delap

Stone Exterior Home Idea with flexible stone and brick Delap · More Info