madhu

madhu
13 years ago
how to clean hardwater stains on glass door

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Ronique & Co.
    13 years ago
    This is a tricky one, is your glass door in your shower or an exterior glass door? Depending on the source of the problem will help you know how to treat. Shower doors that limescale and other minerals are in your water, may come off with household products like CLR (ask in your local home improvement store.)

Exterior water spots caused by sprinklers on the other hand, may be caused by iron, or other deposits, in which a light pressure washer solution may help. I would as at your local home improvement store for both.
  • madhu
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    thanks for the reply, i have glass doors in the shower area, the water stains still remain even though i use the household products. can you please suggest a way out
  • PRO
    Ronique & Co.
    13 years ago
    It sounds like you may need a water softener installed in your home. To remove many of the hard water minerals and deposits. I still suggest you go to a home improvement store and ask if they have stronger products than average off the shelf products.

If this still doesn't help - consider hiring a professional cleaning service, and ask them to clean it. I can almost guarantee they will have SOME product to get it removed.
  • bepsf
    13 years ago
    Mr Clean Magic Eraser - Works like a charm!
  • madhu
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    thanks will try out

• kim1101
    13 years ago
    Lemon oil has always worked for me.
  • eimear
    13 years ago
    Wipe down the door with the rubber side of a squeedgee straight after showering - it works a treat for us and we have lots of limescale from hard water.
  • chocolate365
    13 years ago
    We have incredibly hard water, no softener and lots of mineral deposits on everything that touches water for any length of time. The solution is incredibly simple: white vinegar. It very simply and easily and gently dissolves the minerals. We had a shower head that my husband was ready to replace because the mineral deposits had clogged it. I unscrewed the head, submerged it in a cup of vinegar for 24 hours, rinsed it off and screwed it back on. Voila! Like new!

I have tried CLR: worthless. I have tried abrasives: all they do is scratch and don't get rid of the deposits.

Another spot where minerals accumulate is around the kitchen faucet. I take a bunch of paper towels, soak them in vinegar, then pack them around the faucet over the mineral deposits, keeping them good and wet with vinegar and let them sit for about a day, more or less. Rinse and wipe clean, will look like new!

Our cat loves water. His favorite thing in the world is if I fill the bathroom sink with water and let him play in it. What happens? Water spots all over the mirror. Wet a cloth, add a dash of vinegar to the cloth, wipe the mirror... clean and shiny!
  • madhu
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    thanks for the inputs, let me try out with vinegar .
  • mousemaker
    13 years ago
    to chocolate365...love your cat story!
    thanks for the tip on cleaning around the faucets. i will try that. we have really hard water too and need a softener..
  • gwenaele Pendergast
    13 years ago
    We just moved to Hawaii and have terrible hard water here. The sprinkler left water spot on my car. It did cost me over $250 to have the car detailed and marks removed so now I worry about how to take the marks out of my windows in the house. When we first got the house, i thought the previous renter did a bad job in cleaning before they left just to realize that it is impossible to take the water spot out. I can hardly see thru the windows. I tried CLR and another product from England that did magic on my bathroom before but no luck. I asked at the hardware store but they have no answers which surprised me because here in Hawaii, I hear everybody talking about the problem of water spot. So, today, I will try white vinegar and will tell you later if it works. Can't wait!
  • chocolate365
    13 years ago
    I'm dying to know how people did with the vinegar. Anyone?
  • madhu
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    hey vinegar worked wonders, now my shower glasses are free from hardwater stains. thanks a ton
  • chocolate365
    13 years ago
    Oh I'm so glad. There's nothing quite like sparkling clean glass.
  • gwenaele Pendergast
    13 years ago
    Did not work for me. I tried vinegar and Mr eraser sponge. From the car shop, I learned that only polishing the windows will take away the hard water spots. I guess the water is so hard in Hawaii and if you let stand it on your window too long, it "attacks" the materials. What a shame.
  • Eluterio McClure
    6 years ago

Judy has anyone replied back to you in regards to your question on what to use to keep the statins from coming back?