lilla_gray

What can I replace the tiles with?

Lilla Gray
11 years ago
I would like to update this fireplace to something rustic modern.

Comments (47)

• ktiquet
    11 years ago
    Tile the whole wall in glass "fireplace wall bumpnout " then all reclaimed mantle. That's what I would do. Or you could do a stone tile but layout lengthwise. North to south. Good luck can't wait to see the pictures.
  • msmolinski
    11 years ago
    Hi there, I came across this fantastic distributor of high quality natural stone veneers ErthCOVERINGS (www.erthcoverings.com)
    I would suggest for your fireplace the Ledgestone Natural Stone Veneers, in either Springwood Black 18N for a more modern look that would flow with your wall color but still bring out the warmth of your floor and couch colors. Or, the Outback Brown 24N for a warmer and more rustic look overall. The attached images reflect both choices, with Springwood Black being the first and Outback Brown being the second.

Good luck and I hope you found my suggestion helpful!
  • Related Discussions

What kind of tiles can be fixed in bathroom ..???

Q

Comments (1)
    Bathrooms are generally smaller and lighter tiles make the room look bigger. There is also the old stigma that whiter is cleaner. However, it's all personal choice and you can easily choose a darker color.
    ...See More

How/What sofa to replace/utilize this living room space ?

Q

Comments (11)
    Hi Nikita, First and farmost, you have very beautifull coushion on sofa, from where you buy it? You can check the videos of Small budget Big makover first session series in youtube. In One such house in Gujarat, Muninder and Bishakha coloured the old sofa set with whtie (The sofa is like yours) and changed the centre table. Interestingly, the family also had your kind of sofa set and they also want some modern style. The architect duo did not changed the sofa, just changed the colour. Yes I found it in youtube. it is the house of Setu Upadhyay. the link is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85GNhyLeVnM Another suggestion is that you have many tables on the room. You can drop few chairs and opt for a single centre table
    ...See More

Floor replacement without removing fixed furniture

Q

Comments (4)
    Sudhir, For understanding your dilemma pics will be required. Vinyl, Carpet or other softer flooring materials may give you desired finish.
    ...See More

Is this design in porcelain tiles can replace marble?

Q

Comments (2)
    H! 1)Its a cheaper substitute of Italian marble, but no where comparable with the features of the same. 2)Italian marble ,once polished shall look joint free,also is polishable as shine fades, the same option is not possible for tiles. 3) Tiles would have many joints,also edges not even compared to marble 4) the design in case of Tiles will be Repetative,,unlike naturally laid in case of Marble 5) if budget permits,,Italian Marble preferred anytime over Tiles ple email info@spcontractors.in for further information
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Rehder Construction, Inc.
    11 years ago
    Lilla Gray,

Luckily, this is a relatively easy project to do. Just remove the tiles and install lightweight "stacked" stone instead. Here's a before and after shot of a modern and rustic fireplace we did in Pebble Beach, CA.

Best of luck!

Steve Rehder
  • PRO
    McCabe By Design LLC
    11 years ago
    I concur, remove the tiles and use light weight stone or a nubbier tile like slate.
  • darcy1010
    11 years ago
    I think smooth soapstone would be beautiful.
  • sstuart3tx
    11 years ago
    I think you can replace the tile with a beautiful copper facade-either hammered or smooth, Copper sheeting is very workable. Also, you could lay redwood, cedar or some other type of wood surface over the tile- cutting the wood to fit the area. You could also find old antique wood floors and plane the surface of each board down and restain the floors or leave them in a natural color.
  • Lilla Gray
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank u for ur replies I'm liking the copper idea or wood paneling thus far.
  • Marti Lindsey
    11 years ago
    Glass tiles or pebble/stone treatment.
  • PRO
    Interiors International, Inc.
    11 years ago
    I agree with bumping it out and creating a floor to ceiling look. I don't think I would do it in glass or pebble stone. Possibly a chip finished travertine.
    Dakota Fireplace · More Info
  • Lilla Gray
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Would u bump it out even if the space is this small?
  • PRO
    STUDIO MB
    11 years ago
    Incorporate stone or stacked slate and iron like this mantel
  • Kim Schreiber
    11 years ago
    Check out granite - it looks awesome and there are hundreds of choices to achieve the look you want.
  • lorimike1
    11 years ago
    vertically laid glass tile with mesh back is easy just need tile nippers for the stag pattern thats what we did it looks so awesome
  • PRO
    Wiggers construction inc
    11 years ago
    I like the reclaimed wood mantel idea. You can also get different styles of bricks that are sliced to tile thickness at lowes. They have one there I think it is called a pub brick that has the edges knocked off to make it look old or reclaimed. You can apply the brick just like tile and it would give you a rustic look.
  • PRO
    Meddline_projects
    11 years ago
    Hi.. i think this one is perfect, and you can adapt it with your tiles! =)

Take a look:
  • PRO
    ECLECTIC BY DESIGN
    11 years ago
    I'm thinking the wood....too funny but I think it is the same one pictured above that I have had saved!!!
  • colleen77
    11 years ago
    I think a fireplace surround would add a lot to your space. If you choose not to have legs down the sides, perhaps you could do a very hefty pine mantle with corbels. Pick your tile based on the type of mantle you choose. I sent a pic of a white stock fireplace surround to show that even a flat mantle and legs can add structure to the fireplace We have FP insert just like yours. We pulled off almost all the brass inserts from our fireplace It was amazing transformation. We also created a faux hearth by putting black slate right in front of the FP. Good luck! please post a picture when it's finished.
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    11 years ago
    A combination of materials such as in this photo can give you the rustic/modern look you want. By combining interesting materials you can have texture, color, contrast and a little visual heft.
    While at CHil Design Group · More Info
  • PRO
    Your Renovation Company
    11 years ago
    we used a combination of wood and natural stone on this clients fireplace
  • PRO
    Your Renovation Company
    11 years ago
    here is another picture before paint
  • swginokc
    11 years ago
    I like msmomlinski's idea, but add a thick (6" or more) slab of live edge wood (bark on it) for the mantle. Maria Billingsley and slate is another good option for the stone. Irregular stone and wood say rustic to me. There are also new products that can be laid in large sections, which have the irregular profile built in. Just doing a surround of stone or wood, with no mantle, reads more modern. Besides, mantles are good for Christmas stockings and adding personal accessories.
  • Darby Parrish
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    "Rustic Modern" I would use a slate long finger like mosaic and run it vertical like a waterfall spilling out onto you floor. If you feel the need for a mantle I would place three floating shelves randomly.
  • PRO
    Remya Warrior Designs
    11 years ago
    Lot of gredeas here. Looks like you have windows on either side of the fireplace? In that case even if you dont build out the area, but tile from top to bottom it'll still look great. If you dont mind me saying, the picture you have there right now is not propotional to the fireplace. If you combine the smooth look like mosaic tiles or marble along with the rustic reclaimed wood for a mantle it could look gorgeous. This would give you different textures as well.
    Found this picture on Pinterest.
  • PRO
    A Class Above Home Rehab
    11 years ago
    When you say rustic modern - the use of reclaimed wood framing around the fireplace and having the modern stone veneer around the outer edge of the fireplace inside the wood framing would be perfect. Here's a couple of pictures you could combine to get the look.
  • Nicky McIntyre
    11 years ago
    Something different again is pressed tin. But picking a pattern not too bold or big
  • PRO
    Arlene Eskin
    11 years ago
    Maria Billingsley posted a picture of "stacked slate and iron". I think that's a great look. I wonder if she would mind saying more about the material?
  • PRO
    Aegean Design Studio
    11 years ago
    I'm liking the stone and horizontal wood looks for what you're describing your look is. There are some great photos posted. Chrysteen
  • designideas4me
    11 years ago
    ECLECTIC BY DESIGN

where do you get that product and does it come in silver as well?

Your Renovation Company

I think you should burn wood or gas logs..........but not a dog !!

Lilla Gray

I think you should go to the ceiling. Makes room look bigger. I had a guy take out my tile and you should be sure to use goggles. He got a tiny piece of tile in his eye. be careful.
  • PRO
    jcSelects
    11 years ago
    Above your existing mantle about 27" match it with a new wood mantle that runs from window trim to window (yes, all the way across). Fill in the entire area to the floor with Riflessi Di Legno color Ash. It is a porcelain tile that looks like barn wood from a seaside barn in Norway. Grout it with #24 Natural Grey by Laticrete. You can do all this yourself on a budget and it'll look like Manhattan meets a seaside barn in Norway. Check out the floor in same on KitchenLiberty.com Portfolio "Eureka Master Bath".
  • Lenam Kvarnstrm
    11 years ago
    I like your wooden idea. Take the mantelpiece away and make it as simple as it looks on ECLECTIC BY DESIGN, but brighter. The lightning is important. Then you change the color of the rug to something neutral and turn the sofa 90°, so it faces the fire, if possible. Give the sofa a plaid and pillows, neutral as well. Let the toys be the only hot color spots.
  • PRO
    INSPIRATION Chartered Architects
    11 years ago
    Hi! I think the image posted by Kerrie would look best in your room. You should take the fireplace out a little bit. I doesn't need to come out much at all but it would give definition. The floor to ceiling timber mouldings would be a real style bonus in that room and give it great character.
  • Jane Dyson
    11 years ago
    I had the same flat front on my fireplace, I felt it needed more architecture and definition. Found my inspiration right here on Houzz, and here's what we call "rustic bling". Mantle is hand-scraped wood. Added LED lights under mantle after this picture was taken, it really brings the glass to life. Yes, it is big and beefy, but it's on an end wall with a 25 foot cathedral ceiling.
  • designideas4me
    11 years ago
    Does changing the fireplace matter when you have a window on the same wall influence the design? For example if you are going to do shelves on one side but cant on the other cuz of the window. Or if you should include the whole wall as one in the fireplace design vs just doing the mantle and then having other decor around it? How do you decide the visual proportion and attention the firplace should get looking at the room as a whole?
  • chauncey500
    11 years ago
    I think the wood is really cool and would look hip with your bright red couch! And I would extend it so it stretches from window to window and possibly all the way up to ceiling!
  • greenporch
    11 years ago
    I think you could change the tiles if you really don't like them---maybe use a granite tile. I would frame the fireplace with a wood and put a substantially larger top and moldings on it. Make that fireplace more of the focal point in the room.
  • helsharmar
    11 years ago
    I like a lot of the suggestions, but some of them seem to cover what I thought were vents. Is this safe to do? I also would like to change the surround on my gas fireplace. The vents are kind of ugly, but I'm concerned about the safety of covering them.
  • Laura Steinert
    11 years ago
    I would not do a bump out. You can get "depth" without losing space. I'd go with a very nice mantle like one shown in the other suggestions, then add more character with tile from www.wetdogtile.com. Check out their site where you can find visual interest and design the right amount of "bling" while working with rustic materials. They can even help with the deisgn.
  • trowel
    11 years ago
    Ventian plaster is a great alternative for a fireplace finish. You're own vision can be created for a unique
    and aesthetically wonderful work of art.
  • PRO
    COCo
    11 years ago
    It would be nice if when people write in they add a budget of what they can spend.
    I was thinking a little different would be two beautiful double doors that fold back flat to the wall and are very tall and them you open and there is the fireplace. Just sounded like fun and different. Habitat for Humanity sometimes gets tall doors that no one can se or you might try the recycle spots.
    Maybe a fireplace like amtv could show then not show. ENJOY your choice, it should make you smile.
    CoC
  • PRO
    MarbleWarehousecom
    11 years ago
    The use of Brazilian slate tile or slab outer edge of the fireplace and inside the framing would be perfect.
  • PRO
    COCo
    11 years ago
    Hi
    I keep returning to this page for 2 reasons, I believe I had suggested utility poles or railroad ties, but the complexity with a baby and creosote make it too difficult for you I believe.

My question and why I return is the photograph, is this Amsterdam? And, if yes are you associated with this photography, location etc.
    If yes, there is brick used in mostly all of Amsterdam since the fire of 1490+-. Brick is a great product and not just red rectangles. Half Circular in a beautiful blue {it is a stunning blue deep and rich) and white perhaps more beige than bright white, but there is also a yellow. It reminds me of terra cotta tiles hand made and very lovely.
    If the photo has a connection you could make brick columns similar to the photo of the fireplace with wooden columns, but I would bring them out to the windows and use the blue color with a white cement between. The center area I would fill in with aviano bianco or china white marble in a slab look. For the top, I would would use the white marble, either very thick maybe 4" this is a false front around the stone edge. Carrera grey is also beautiful, my favorite is Thassos, but you should look at the stone River Ice is beautiful with almost pencil thin vertical lines small and in blue, gold and reddish color, very beautiful. Many stones and some are just art in my humble opinion and should just be hung to stare at.

The floor in front would be trimmed with this beautiful brick which will give you a little bump up to designate the area and the interior with the white stone. You could put some blue glass around: edge should you wish for an outline, but I think it is too much.

If this is too much for you and you know no one in Amsterdam pick something else and save some money ans visit Amsterdam. Unbelievable art work and at the museums your nose can almost touch the Sunflower or the Old Masters feel like they are asking you to take a seat and join them.

If you wanted to you could take the columns right to the ceiling and put the little round window at the top, I can introduce you to a plaster person, it is a dying art form.
    and fill it in with a white marble china white is very beautiful. With a white in the cement. There are clinker bricks that I love, they are very merry and fun.
    Take a look in line about Amsterdam, clinker bricks and bricks in color if you wish to.

The smallest house in the world apparently is in Amsterdam 7 feet because they paid taxes based on width. At the top of each house is a piece that comes out for the grapple, hook to pull the furniture up through the window ans generally a round window there with it with some beautiful plaster work.
    You could be a little off the whole standard and change your fireplace the be a bit smaller than the smallest house, but have brick all the way to the ceiling with the round window, lit from behind and the white plaster work. You could work in the photograph and I do not think it would look silly, it just must be done minimalist as possible on the wall. Simplicity and charm if this is your heritage. If not throw this out.
    COConsultants
  • PRO
    COCo
    11 years ago
    I tried to update and could not, but thank you for reading all that.
    If this is too much my one final suggestion would be don't be boring and follow the crowd, life is full of experiences and jumping in.... bring columns white ones to the ceiling and your space will look so tall and fill the area with the beautiful blue glass from Darby's her design is simple stunning and modern for now, slate is safe.

The windows could have long white flowing drapes soft from ceiling to floor a little drama is good for the soul.
    Enjoy
    COConsultants
  • Lilla Gray
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the suggestions! I love the brick. It's not that easy to get out in these parts though! I have never been to Amsterdam. I have been to Hungary and love the architecture and warmth. I hope to make it out there!! I agree with bringing it to the ceiling. I have a window behind that photograph too :/ I'm not a fan of.
  • Lilla Gray
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Done!!
  • designideas4me
    10 years ago
    Is it ok just to remove the entire mesh and framing around the fireplace if you intend to use only gas and fireglass? Given the various heights of the fireplaces from the floor as shown above, does that influence what type of floor or harth one must choose based on safety?
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    Great job!