oakvillestory

Critique my first and second floor house plans!

oakvillestory
9 years ago
What you guys think? I can take it:)

Comments (76)

• PRO
    APM architecture
    9 years ago

• pcmom1
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Also, keep in mind that your architect won't be doing your laundry. Whenever I look at a plan I think of the route and stairs and number of steps....

And really think about if you are actually a formal LR and dining room sort of person. So often those rooms are never used. Just walked by and looked at.

Best of luck!

• Related Discussions

Need suggestion for my new first home!

Q

Comments (9)
    First, I would ask the builder to give you the dimensions of the furniture used in the plan. Since they've already done the legwork-you will know which pieces will fit. Many times folks go the the furniture store and end up with a huge sectional and it over powers the room. Second, just get what you love! You have to live there. Start to create an idea book in Houzz. You'll start to see a pattern. Then just find a sofa like the one in your pic that is in your price range. Just keep repeating until you have all your pieces. Same thing with wall decor (which I would do last). Have fun!
    ...See More

Need second opinion on floor plan

Q

Comments (10)
    Hi Deepasri, If you follow Vaastu, then I recommend that you have the Pooja room facing East. God’s idol should either face east or west. Expand your current pooja room to a study room that is accessible from your master bedroom or make it a store room where u keep ladder, travel bags,etc to be accessible from hall. And put the Pooja room next to it facing East in the hall.
    ...See More

first floor plan

Q

Comments (2)
    HI Amit. Trying to squeeze in maximum no of rooms does not necessarily create good efficient spaces. See if you can break open walls, sacrifice a bedroom for a better quality of home which will enhance your living experience each and every day.
    ...See More

my new house floor plan

Q

Comments (14)
    The kitchen sink should go towards the corner next to the stove area since the plumbing would be easier due to the bathroom pipeline on that wall. The stove should be moved from there to the basin area but more central. I couldn't zoom in but what is loft above. Anyway, I think you could get rid of that wall and make it a half wall, and include a counter with 2 -3 bar chairs like for quick meals. Puja area, I think would be better elsewhere since there is non-veg food and sometimes alcohol consumption. You could have more like a partition shelf wall between dining and living, need to think more on moving the puja area somewhere else. Also, since the common bathroom is right there, you would not need another basin next to the dining area, its just not a good sight . You could mail me the floor plan and we could work on it more elaborately, but this is simply a skimmed review of the layout. Hope I was helpful .
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Kirkarch
    9 years ago

I have a few comments:

1. I would look at rearranging the appliances and fixtures in the kitchen so you get the sink on an outside wall under a window and off the island. It's ok to have the sink and fridge along that same wall. Relocate the cooktop to where you currently have the fridge. I personally think it is not ideal to have either a cooktop or a main sink on an island if you have other options

2. Upper floor - I would remove the "open to below" space and relocate the laundry there. Those 2 story foyers are very dated and waste a lot of energy. That would give you a much nicer laundry with a window at the front.

3. As others have mentioned, it is not ideal to have to go through your master bath to get to the master bathroom. Other's have provided some nice options there.

4. You might want to talk to your builder about adding a section in the center of your attic that is comprised of room trusses with a beefier bottom chord with a pull down attic stair. It is not significantly more costly to build room trusses as compared to typical trusses and it would give you a huge amount of usable attic storage.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago

i see the poster has not been back to the thread, we may have scared them off lol.

• oakvillestory
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I'm here lol ( see my comment above)

I have taken all suggestions to designer he is working on it today.. Hope to have something back tomorrow

What I told him:
    1. Laundry downstairs
    2. Jack and Jill upstairs
    3. Pantry revised
    4. Master bath revised

P.s there will be new room added upstairs wait for that surprise...

Can't wait.. Will post asap :)

Thank you all again
  • emilyam819
    9 years ago

Some posters have suggested rearranging appliances - I agree. But the fridge is probably in the best spot in terms of unloading groceries. I think it would be best to have the fridge where it is, sink under a window, cooktop on the same wall as sink, and double ovens at the end of the run closest to the breakfast nook. Island clear. Movement around a kitchen is from storage to sink for washing & prep to stove for cooking. No criss crossing. Someone else can start cleaning at the sink once the cook is done prepping. I can't tell from the plans, but if those are double ovens in a tall cabinet, they are in a horrible position. You should not interrupt a run of countertop with a tall cabinet/appliance.

• oakvillestory
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hello All :) as promised, I have 3 options upstairs and changed the lower..

Things he forgot to change ( the great room is NOT open to above as stated in drawing, and the jack and Jill upstairs supposed to have tub not shower, also when leaving mud room to pantry there is a step, which will eliminate a step in the garage to mud room)

The appliances are not perfect I know but really need to nail down floor plan first.. What options do you like... Thanks again :)
  • marrymaid
    9 years ago
    Your changes look good. Just a couple of suggestions. Put a pantry where the sink is in the mud room, sink moved to area where washer and dryer are and washer and dryer in the area by bedrooms. Think you will be happier to have laundry room near where you accumulate the dirty clothes and towels.
  • redtartan
    9 years ago

I'm not a big fan of a jack and jill for the reason that you always have to remember to lock and unlock both doors. I also noticed that the only tub in the house is in the master. That will hurt resale value. You should have at least one more tub IMO. I love the idea of the Office which really can be anything, even another bedroom with some built in wardrobes.
    I'm not a fan of doors for toilets, but I can understand why others prefer them. I just think how gross the doorknob would get.
    Love the opening between the kitchen and the pantry.

• marrymaid
    9 years ago
    Sorry, forgot to mention many new homes being built in our area have the laundry available through the hall and the master bedroom closet. Have know idea if that is an option for you or if you are even interested.
  • oakvillestory
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi, the purpose of the Jack and Jill is to have access to washroom area direct from the 2 bedrooms, but another option is to keep all the same and just add the bigger washroom are ma with separate bath and toilet, notice on my other options in previous posts we added sq between bedroom 3 and 2 (in blue I this drawing )

What's better walk Accross hall for bathroom or a jack and Jill.. Resale is most important to us

Thanks again
  • oakvillestory
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I will like to keep the laundry in mud room, as when working in kitchen so easy to attend to laundry and kids coming home from dirty sports can just leave everything in mud room to be washed.. That being said resale is most important factor
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago

add a laundry shoot from the upper floor.

• redtartan
    9 years ago

I'm sure someone can give you resale about jack and jill. I personally prefer the separate bathroom. I also like that in the separate bathroom design you get a large WIC for the linens. Every house I've lived in there hasn't been enough space for linens. I'd rather have laundry in mud room too. Resale probably isn't as great to put it there, but I have to wonder if from an insurance standpoint if it's better having in the mud room?

• PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago

There is no linen storage on your second floor, and the bathrooms aren't large enough to house extra towels and such. if you move the laundry down stairs, you should add a laundry shoot, and linen storage up stairs. I also think the open to the foyer if a wasted space and could be used to make the bedrooms all the same size, while making both the bathrooms accessible to the 3 bedrooms.

• oakvillestory
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Laundry shoots not allowed in my town.. Against bylaw :(

Can really see your drawing.. Have to get to computer for review :)
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago

on the first floor, i think the bfast nook is a waste of space with an eat in island. put the sink and counter over there, looking out a window, is huge in a kitchen as to sink placement. Formal dining rooms are lovely, and so are butler paintries, but families with three kids, how often would it really be used, play around with the idea of a more open dining room, moving from the front area, just as the formal living room has 0 resale value anymore, but a grandmothers suite, or home office much more effective, a study if you will. mud room is great with laundry room, and pantry access all relative to how they will be used. the closer the access from the car to the kitchen the better. too many doors and counters is just not a good flow.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago

• redtartan
    9 years ago

I disagree about the nook being a waste of space. If you have a family and have family or friends over than the island isn't enough seating for everyone to sit and chill in a less formal space. I also prefer to eat meals facing people so everyone can interact. I think the nook should stay.

• oakvillestory
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I think we will be reducing the island area one seat and keeping nook for a sit down table.. Also we are thinking of reducing the great room size by 2 feet to save costs.. Any comments?
  • suzyq53
    9 years ago

You can get a six top in the nook. But if you eliminated the bev. center you could have eight at the island where you can see the TV. When you think about living in the space do you want a smaller island and family room? That nook is nice but I bet you'd end up using the island more.

• Can Gunaydin
    9 years ago
    Nice plans! Here are my critiques: I would like to see a larger coat closet near the entry way. Also, a linen closet in one or two of the bathrooms upstairs would be neat. Try to add a door or sliding door to the Master Bath through the bedroom. I personally wouldn't want to enter my bath room through a dark closet.
  • oakvillestory
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    New update.. I'm I almost there? What you think of this now?
  • suzyq53
    9 years ago

Oak - Its looking good. The door arrangement for the bath by BR 1 seem a little strange to me. Can you make the bathroom door into a pocket door and move the vanity and toilet to the other wall?

• oakvillestory
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I know pocket doors take up more space, and the room is kinda small already... So I think we might have to leave that
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago

Well,.... not saying it isn't beautiful...just saying I would either rearrange or enlarge either the powder room downstairs or the mudroom to incorporate a shower. Friends of ours had a beautiful home with a very similar floorplan to what you have drawn. A few winters ago, hubby slipped on icy front stairs and had a very bad break to leg/hip. Sooner or later those stairs will appear as Mt. Everest.

I would also do a stacking washer and dryer on the upper floor. This can take up little room and I really believe you will be happy you did.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    9 years ago

I would eliminate the doors to the bathroom from bedrooms 3 & 2, and have access to the bathroom from the hall. This will greatly reduce the sound transmission from the bathroom to the bedrooms.

There are more changes I would recommend but I don't have time.

• oakvillestory
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks Mark... That was a consideration for the jack and Jill... If you have time I'd like to hear the other recommendations .. Thanks
  • redtartan
    9 years ago

Is there enough space to move furniture into the entrance of bedroom #1. It seems like a very tight angle.

• pcmom1
    9 years ago

One thing that is way cheaper and easier to add when building, rather than after, is sound proofing between walls.

• oakvillestory
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Good idea PC! Adds to value of house too :)
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago

where's the laundry?

• oakvillestory
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Down stairs in mud room
  • Oaktown
    9 years ago
    Do you have a basement? If not, make use of the space under the stair landing for extra storage (access from powder room?).
  • lmckuin
    9 years ago

What is your plan for the 2nd floor nook? Depending on its purpose, I might consider opening it to the hallway to the left as the hallway to Bedroom 3 seems a little awkward with the two turns. Even if open to the walkway to Bedroom 3, it will still be a quiet room (for a library or office) since there won't be a lot of traffic through there except to get to the two bedrooms. We have an open space like that in our house that we've turned into a library with a small sectional and it's a great place for reading bedtime stories, etc. and the sectional turns into a kids' guest sleep space when we have visitors (we put the grown ups in one of the bedrooms).

• PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago

it just seems like there are so many doors in these plans, and tight walking spaces, to MAIN access areas. I just cannot stop thinking about how I would hate to carry grocery bags through the garage, and then the mudroom, through another door, through a pantry, through another door, around the corner and over to the area near the fridge and counter..... lets keep in mind there better not be anything out of place in the pantry or mudroom, as it will be a very high traffic area, and the only way from the car to the house.
    both floors seem to have wasted space. the down stairs has a formal living room... there are so many people on houzz that will tell you its passed its prime... who wants a room no on ever uses, but cant function for much else. SO many people work from home, or have guests over. it would be much better served as an office/guest room with access to the restroom.
    I wish you could put the mudroom where the dining room is. that way both entrances would have access to it.
    on the second floor, there are so many doors....a master bedroom is usually only used by the adults whom own the house. So having all these door, seems wasted. also a giant tub and a small vanity? its all show and no go. At least one of the second baths should have a tub for families that are still growing. and in both cases i would have to walk through at least 2 doors to get to a tub... Also you have this strange hallway to a bedroom eating up space, but no linen storage basically at all for three bedrooms worth of kids. I just see all these walking patterns in my head. and all these doors. Also why do you need a nook on the second floor? laundry would serve a family so much better. since you have 2 living rooms down stairs already.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago

• pcmom1
    9 years ago

I think flair lighting got it with "all show, no go". Office (with Murphy bed for guests?) downstairs, in place of "Living room no one uses" next to front door. If anyone ever works from home and wants to meet with clients, that would work great.

Powder room could be enlarged enough for a shower simply by bringing it out and starting it where the stairs begin.

Plenty of room upstairs for a stacking washer and dryer (even if this is a second set!). If door to bedroom one is moved down towards the front of house, then that bathroom could be enlarged slightly.

• redtartan
    9 years ago

Some people like a living room and separate family room. I'm one of those people, only my "family room" is a rec room. Living room doesn't only mean formal. I for one love the fact that I can escape my children. Those of you with tweens and teens can likely concur. I would never use a separate dining area, but couldn't live without a separate living space.

• oakvillestory
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    All good points Flair ( think for your detailed writing And sketch) ... Lots to consider.. More confused now.. Lol

I'll go over with designer.. But

-Jack and Jill upstairs must have door as somebody can shower and other can brush teeth

- the other bathroom for bedroom 1, this is a bathroom for that bedroom

- I'm not sure if house has too many doors, I could almost remove the door in pantry

- I'm not going to put a shower in lower floor, power room

Main thing is needs to be sellable house in few years and don't want to take too much risk design
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago

Better to be sure someone has a main floor full bath & bedroom. Best for resale

• suzyq53
    9 years ago

Hi Oak - Flair is right about all these weird doors. How about If you take the nook and expand it to include all of the current closet in BR 3 and make that the main hall bath? Relocate the door and closet in BR 3; forget about the jack and jill; forget about the other little bath. Just one large 4 piece bath with storage and maybe even a little closet with washer/dryer. Steal a little of the MB walk in closet to enlarge BR 2. You don't need a closet door in the master bedroom. Access the closet off the master bath. With the larger bedrooms you won't need a nook. All the bedrooms will have room for desks or media cabs or whatever. I think future buyers would appreciate the space and simplicity of that design over all these odd twists and turns. You're going to turn off a certain percentage of potential buyers if you do anything odd. To me, the nook is wasting space that can be to use effectively.

• User
    9 years ago
    Do you live in Oakville, Ont., Canada? I grew up there :)
    I'm in the states over 35 years, but love reading some of the spelling and words from the Canucks.....colour, chesterfield, hassock, cupboards, so cute! I think this site is very popular in Canada, how many of you out there are from Canada?
  • redtartan
    9 years ago

I'm Canadian and sometimes I edit myself so people don't think I'm terrible at spelling, other times I just don't care. I've typed the word colour so many times now that I don't often edit anymore.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago

ha! from lake Erie area! and took me years to learn how to spell words WRONG ahahahhaa. went to school at Sheridan for a year. I love oakville.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago

Back to the house... have you went on any house tours in your area, I highly recomend that. Go walk some new construction open houses. Im sure there are a few in your area. I think you are getting lost in all the advice, and until you get into some other houses it will be hard for you to understand. as to formal living room... LOOSE it! keep the nook upstairs for a get away if need be, but in my eyes that master is a get away.
    second floor laundry is WAY better than any mom trucking load after load all the way to the other end of the house and up and down stairs. plus more kids are likely to get things to the laundry room if it is that close to them. making one bathroom upstairs dedicated to one bedroom is a bad idea. who wants to fight with their kids over who gets their own bathroom? also i dont know but usually when one kid is in the bathroom they lock it down for awhile! jack and jill or not.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago

I also can stress enough, that open entry to the second floor is really wasting space, and also have you ever tried to change a light bulb on a 2 store vaulted fixture.....near impossible.

• oakvillestory
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Changing a light bulb in a very high ceiling is very easy.. Just open the yellow pages ......I'm just being a smart ass :)
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago

you smart ass you.............. lol.

• skw27
    8 years ago

So curious about how this ended up turning out?? I read through all of the suggestions and looked at the plan revisions, did you get it worked out, oakvillestory?