margaretcarter

Need advice!!

margaret
11 years ago
we built this house 7 yrs. ago. Trying to decide on how to "finish" the front. Thinking of: adding a large scale exterior lantern over arched opening. Iron work over lower portion of front windows. are the shutters wrong?

Comments (59)

• freetocreate
    11 years ago
    I would never have guessed that you built this 7 years ago! Looks like an English manor house. Delightful! Where do the steps lead (hidden by the snow)? I wouldn't do too much to take away from the look of the house--maybe some English garden landscaping along the walks or between the walks leading from the stairs. Your home is lovely!!
  • PRO
    Home Preppers
    11 years ago
    Your house is beautiful and I love your ideas. The lantern would be perfect. Landscaping could be more elaborate. I don't see anything wrong with the columns. The shutters look fine too, but it's difficult to see what color they are in the picture. You're doing great! Good luck!
  • Related Discussions

need advice on floor tile to be used for terrace balcony

Q

Comments (13)
    antislip and easy maintainance tiles for exterior is the key. choose any shade, colour, size. must not have deep textures as that's gonna be tough later in use. do consider slope and drainage appropriately as terrace may lead to water proofing issues in future. make sure skirting is everywhere and corners with top part of the balcony wall is tiled properly. thanks shradha shah beescheese design
    ...See More

Need advice in choosing built in oven Bosch Series 4 or Fabe

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi can anyone suggest which built in oven will be suitable for Indian family of 4 , Bosch Series 4 and Faber 80 LTRs FB10 model. Please share feedback if anyone is using either of these models Secondly please suggest a good chimney of 90 CMS and with autoclean technology. Many sellers are promoting filterless chimney compared to those having baffle filters etc, very confused about the efficiency of filterless chimneys, please enlighten us.
    ...See More

Need advice on built in gas hob with protection against liquid spills

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi , Most people I talk to are quite unhappy with the inbuilt gas hobs due to issues with liquid seepage into the hob due to spills and problems with cleaning it. Are there any hobs which offer solid protection against these cases ?
    ...See More

Urgent. Need advice on bathroom layout

Q

Comments (1)
    This layout is not functional going all wrong please send site measurements I'll send you practical ideas 💡
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Kelli Golobek, REALTOR®, Option One Real Estate
    11 years ago
    The problem with the columns is the small scale of them compared to the rest of the house. I would just make them thicker and keep them white. They match the windows. Anything darker would be morbid! Which is how I feel about adding any wrought iron. Love the idea of a red door....Very inviting! And ultimately, landscaping will make all the difference in the world. Worth the investment for proper landscaping which will soften all the edges.
  • margaret
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    thank you freetocreate! We worked hard to build a home that would look as if it had been here a long time. We live in an old established neighborhood "in town" and we were fortunate to be able to actually build.
  • margaret
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The shutter color is Charleston green. I agree with kgolo- I would not consider painting the columns any other color. They are the color of the trim. I will upload a picture of the front door also! I have a lot more questions for all of you when i upload these pictures tomorrow !!!!! thanks!
  • PRO
    Home Maintenance Solution, Inc.
    11 years ago
    Lots of good comments (and some not so good)! I would like to suggest something that I didn't see anyone mention. If the photo of the parapet wall and the arch is really the front of the house, then I would try to balance out the steps with something heavy on the left of the house. Maybe a covered walkway leading around the left side or something... Beautiful home!
  • PRO
    Ashleigh Weatherill Interior Design
    11 years ago
    I look forward to more photos (better light, landscaping, and more angles)...would love to hear a little more about your design/architectural inspiration. I like the shutters, would definitely keep them. The two staircases make the entry confusing...since you just built, I'm sure you're not interested in too many structural changes, but I do think it needs some balance and something to make the entry as grand as the home.
  • Laurie
    11 years ago
    Here is an idea for the columns, the style of house is not exactly the same but I thought you might like the porch over the porch idea :)
  • User
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Yes, I agree with Ashleigh Weatherill Interior Design - the front design does look a little confusing. The stone arch works well with the rest of the house. The columns, porch and two side iron railings all seem consistent with each other but not as much with the stone arch and rest of house - perhaps some way to make the styles more cohesive and as was noted make the entrance grander - perhaps stone or brick instead of the iron for the stairs as one option.
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Looks like shutters may not be advised, but lanterns are a "go!" If you ever tire of the exterior brick, stucco seems acceptable too. Perhaps part of the landscape plan could include a marvelous car park and drive.
    Buildings · More Info

Architecture Walk: Exterior Styles and Palettes · More Info

Multiple Family Suites · More Info

Traditional Exterior · More Info

Private Residence - English / Tudor · More Info
  • elcieg
    11 years ago
    It looks like a Manor. Keep it as is. Nice choices.
    River Oaks Residence · More Info
  • Laurie
    11 years ago
    And one more question: what color/type of roof?
  • houssaon
    11 years ago
    When I first saw you post, I thought Charleston or Savana. It is a classic style of that region. Quite lovely. What it needs is a good landscape plan of native plants that you can implement on your own schedule.

You could paint the ceiling of the porch a light blue. If you want to change the color of the shutters, how about a mid-tone blue:
    Quinlan Residence · More Info
    Notice the hanging light fixture.
  • Honeybee Meadow
    11 years ago
    hi!!

i'm a new-to-the-field landscape designer, so this is such a fun "dilemma" for me to ponder!!

first, i'd love to see more pictures of what is already going on just below the porch, on either side of each set of stairs, as well as a brief description of the traffic/flow for each area and what rooms adjoin the noted windows ... for example, is this the point of formal entry? ..or is it a more private portion of your home? what direction does this face ... are you looking to be drawn out onto what is created, or are you looking to simply add interest??

the answers would help me a lot and i'm sure give me thousands & thousands of ideas ...

in the meantime, i think that an iron trellis rising up along the corner of the porch & up & across the facade of the portal wall would be charming ...'branching' it up & out across the porch roofline, and 'feathered' around the windows that are on the end of the home.

i'd also envision a narrow, winding pathway connecting the two sets of stairs, with a planted sitting area about midway. again, this would be influenced by the foot-traffic patterns/function of this area in general.

i look forward to more information ....

:)
  • margaret
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The roof is architectural shingles-black, but not solid black.
  • margaret
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    houssaon-you are right! our inspiration was Charleston due to the narrow and long shape of the lot. The columns look small scale in the picture for some reason. In reality they are quite large.
  • PRO
    Ellen Grasso & Sons, LLC
    11 years ago
    The vents are too low and look wrong. I would have made the vents ovals or something else to make them special. The shutters are correct. Black is fine, but a really dark green would be even better. Both are historically correct. The columns are also correct. This style of house usually had a balcony on the second floor also and I think that would help your sense of something missing. The railing should match the railing below. If there is room, you could put long narrow gas lanterns on either side of the arch. The lower porch should have two ceiling fans. You also need some serious landscaping rather than occasional bushes shaped like lollipops. Te landscaping will tie the side of the house the the front. Another idea is to build a wall to the right of the arch to form a courtyard for the side porch. The wall would be a 6' tall extension of the front of your house. It would broaden your view of the house and a landscaped courtyard would be a wonderful focus from the inside looking out.
  • PRO
    elemental architecture + design
    11 years ago
    It is a very handsome home. I agree that the lantern over the arch would be a nice touch. I also agree with comments that an accent color other than black or charleston green might add interest. I also agree that a more developed landscape will help greatly and I also think a very low nicely detailed brick wall framing a forecourt (large rectangle engaged to the house near the gable corners and encompassing both stairs) could be a nice future addition. As a small note, the gable vents could be painted the accent rather than the window white. I like the "wood" columns/porch as they provide a bit of relief and contrast to the brick masonry.
  • Margot
    11 years ago
    I don't like the stairs on the side. The house is gorgeous and I love that it looks old.
  • Leigh Hendry
    11 years ago
    I would possibly add something ceremonial/ornamental above the arch.....maybe a neat, old piece of ironwork. Put two large, flickering gas lanterns on the walls on either side of the stairs. Paint the front door an interesting color and go totally "southern" and paint the porch ceiling a very subtle, dulled down, soft blue greenish color. Add lovely ornamental trees and landscape around the rest of the house with shrubs which stand up to the "weight" of the house. I would definitely skip the flower box idea and "join" the two staircases with a planted area with flowering shrubs/trees, and add a pathway to the stairs---couldn't tell where your guests park.....
  • margaret
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    too late to change shape of the vents but I have considered painting them the charleston green like the shutters. The shutters are really dark green and look black in the picture. There are ceiling fans on the side lower porch and on both upper and lower porches on the back. Definitely need to make the front of house more defined as such. and I NEED A GOOD LANDSCAPER!!! Maybe i can plant a money tree for my landscaping project. Landscaping is my weakest area...Obviously! Loving the comments! Very helpful!!
  • margaret
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    i added a photo of the back of the house but i couldnt figure out how to tie it into this thread.
  • freetocreate
    11 years ago
    Here's the link to the pic of the back--and OMG it's gorgeous! https://www.houzz.com/discussions/need-advice-dsvw-vd~280392
  • PRO
    Wow Great Place
    11 years ago
    If you comment here, as soon as you start typing your comment, you should see the words "Attach Images" under the box. Click on that, and it should guide you through the process. I copied your photo to my desktop, then attached it from there, so it should work....
  • margaret
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    thank you so much!
  • margaret
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    back of the house, but still from snow pictures
  • Leigh Hendry
    11 years ago
    Margaret....couple of other ideas....add flagstone at the bottom of the stairs to create your pathway from the guest parking and tie that to the planted flower/shrubs area that you create between the two staircases. If you wanted to soften the porch area a little, you could do some muted curtain panels in outdoor fabric to hang inside the porch corners---just to warm up the edges. They would be more for looks than for function. Just a thought. I'd be careful though about incorporating too many of our ideas. A light touch is always best.
  • elklaker
    11 years ago
    Personally, I find your home absolutely stunning and I would not change a thing. Color me jealous!
  • Linda Anthony
    11 years ago
    gosh, the back of the house is beautiful! Love the second story porch and the row of pines does not show in your original pic. I still believe softening the corners with trees and an 'island' or 'oasis' with big tree(s) in front would soften the view. Right now all we see is the hard (but beautiful) and square lines. I like another persons idea about putting railing on the roof which would then coordinate with the back. Would also like to see 'something' cover the dead space under the front porch. Shrubs would probably be better than more more railing... Installing landscape lighting on the trees etc would REALLY make the home stand out. Again, would remove ceiling fan on front porch although work fine on back porches. Would be an excuse to hang another gorgeous light, perhaps matching the one suggested in the archway. With a house this size it would not be too many lights. If you install landscape lighting, I would put in an outside pole light, matching the two (suggested) lights on the porch. I like things in odd numbers and it would make it #3 light addition...
  • jlblum
    11 years ago
    If your up for a project, how about removing the brick arch wall and continuing the porch columns, beams etc... around the front side of the porch too. Otherwise, I'd soften the brick arch with ivy and some vertical landscaping. a good landscape architect that could also help with some accent lighting might be the first step.
  • Linda Anthony
    11 years ago
    you could add some taller 'trees' between the current short shrubs under the windows and that would soften the side(s) of the house as well.
  • Linda Anthony
    11 years ago
    ouch, removing the brick arch and continuing the porch columns at this point in time would be expensive. A professional landscaper would be less expensive and don't think there should be a major architectural change - just landscaping!
  • PRO
    Ellen Grasso & Sons, LLC
    11 years ago
    I wouldn't remove arch at all, but extend it. You could even extend the wall there by installing a wrought iron fence across the front. Your house looks similar to a Charleston single house. Of you google that, you can see some examples of similar houses.
  • LEYA Matalas
    11 years ago
    I thnk some lighting to cast texture down the stone at the front would be welcoming.. and a suspended pendant light to emphasise the entrance, which right now is like an opening to the porch on the side.
    I think it needs to move in for a focal statement. I added some grills- window boxes.. just to give you options. Good luck. L.
  • PRO
    LUMINHOME OPTOELECTRONIC CO.,LTD
    11 years ago
    Do our products will help you? we are manufacture in China , looking for distributor of solar garden light, web:www.oksolarled.com Email: kinglingelectric@gmail.com
  • PRO
    The Porch Company
    11 years ago
    I think the "Cathedral Scroll" railing from www.porch-store.com would be perfect for a railing above the roof
  • Good Taste
    11 years ago
    Just rotate your house 180 degrees so that the front is the back and the back is the front. If money permits, you could just make the front look like the back. I suppose it's one of those labour v materials cost questions...

FANTASTIC house too, BTW.
  • Good Taste
    11 years ago
    Actually, about the back of your house looking like the front... APPARENTLY, back in the day, people used to sit in front of their house so that they could talk to people walking by. With the advent of the car, that design no longer had any utility but the front porches still looked good. So, the deck/verandah/porches really are best so that you can look out at the people playing on your nicely flat back yard. For your style of house, flat ground looks better than sloping (unless your are on top of a hill). You have not decided to show off to the street but have the best aspects and areas where you and yours can enjoy them. Well done.
  • Stephanie Masko
    11 years ago
    Wow...your house is very unique and so interesting to look at, at all angles. However, when I look at it at all angles I CAN'T TELL WHERE THE FRONT OF THE HOUSE IS. The lantern over the arch is a great START along with professional landscaping. Adding a courtyard, small fountain, flower boxes to the front of the house to accentuate what the front entrance is is what is needed. When I looked at your house it was hard for me to distinguish what the front of your house was without you stating it. My advice is quite simple landscape and make your front entrance more welcoming and pronounced. To try and extend things and redo things is costly and quite honestly your house is unique, stately and charming as it is. DO NOT remove the shutters, add wrought iron rails to the windows, the columns could be bulkier but it's not affecting the look of the house that much. Get quotes from professional landscaping companies that will give you ideas and allow you to get the best possible price. Good luck...want to see pictures when you are done!
  • margaret
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    daylight pictures
  • margaret
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    a few more
  • Cathi Isza
    11 years ago
    Now that I've seen the other photos and read your shutters are green I absolutely love your house. I do like the light and window boxes that Leyla added but it really is a beautiful house.
  • PRO
    Interiors International, Inc.
    11 years ago
    Your home is amazing! If you did those choices on your own you know what your doing and don't need us. ;-)
  • PRO
    JMittman Designs
    11 years ago
    I think you've done a great job. Can I come make your window treatments?? :) I like the window box idea, love the wrought iron too, and your lantern idea. You really just need some good landscaping.
  • PRO
    Ashleigh Weatherill Interior Design
    11 years ago
    Where do guests enter your home?
  • Stephanie Masko
    11 years ago
    I can see better now...your house is so pretty!! The only thing I don't like is how the basement windows at the base of the house are exposed. Other than that just landscape professionally and dress up your main entrance with a lantern and some sort of path with landscaping...beautiful house!!
  • Good Taste
    11 years ago
    Oh, now I see where the front of the house is. Just turn it 90 degrees clockwise.
  • PRO
    K.O.H. Construction Corporation
    11 years ago
    Very nice home with oversize brick, white mortar, parapet walls, jack arches ( very expensive brick made at an angle) over openings, shutter dogs and hinges to match. House is elevated, grand columns and wrought iron railing. It also looks like you going with period landscaping.. Again, very nice but, I like the color of the shutters for the door only. I think you need to separate the shutter and door color. The shutters really stand out and my opinion, too much. Try another shade in the brick color and have them blend in a little. You have a keen eye therefore that should not be a problem. The period landscaping is appropriate but doesn't do justice to the home. Good luck to you and let us know your decision.
  • Elizabeth Smith
    11 years ago
    Would ad a bit of country style. Consider hanging nice black light fixtures from the ceiling- lantern style, and a rocking chair or two
  • Good Taste
    11 years ago
    That is a LOVELY house. Do you really have no garage though?