charu_sood_malik

Want some suggestions about furniture rearrangement in my living room.

Charu Sood_Malik
9 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi, I'm a health proffessional desperately seeking help from all you wonderfully creative people, have been following Houzz for quite some now, finally mustered courage to ask for your help, attached herewith are photos of my current decor, humbly apologise for not being much of a decor person,suffering from plausity of ideas now, but that's precisely why need your help, suggestions about changing furniture are also welcome.

Comments (29)

• Charu Sood_Malik
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks Susan for answering. I'll keep your suggestions in mind while redecorating; could you please be more suggestive about the replacement of curtains, there's a large channel door that leads to the balcony behind those curtains. Best Regards..
  • Charu Sood_Malik
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Most of the pics I see on houzz use muted pallette with subtle hints of color, wondering if there is too much color in my room!
  • Sherry Mau
    9 years ago
    It seems like everything is red, is that your primary color or is it just the lighting? I agree that u should change the curtains. What style are you aiming for? My first impression of your space feels middle eastern, that's just the first thing that came to mind.
  • charleee
    9 years ago
    Agree with both posters above, your pics and wall decor is hung too high, and these pictures make your room look like it's on fire. Is it just the pics, or do you have these hot colors in your room? I love your area rug!
  • Charu Sood_Malik
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for your feedback, agree my wall decor is too high right now, we recently moved into this apartment,still have to get the old nails removed and get new ones. My sofa and two chairs are upholstered in tangerine, but the room doesn't look so overwhelmingly red in reality, I clicked the pics in yellow light and since there is too harsh sunlight from the balcony area, used dark colored curtains, but they also cast a reddish glow in the daytime. Anyway can change the curtains, have another set of off-white curtains.I love ethnic Indian look, but now want to change it, but each time I try doing that, somehow the room ends up looking almost the same. Please Help!!!
  • charleee
    9 years ago
    I would do everything possible to cool the room down, starting with charcoal gray thermal backed curtains. Paint the walls an light gray, neutral colored throw pillows, and add black tables: [houzz=
    Sutton Black Coffee Table · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    ML Consultancy
    9 years ago
    The furniture in the above pics is little heavy and curtains are light and Yes there is lot of color in this room..The room is fully packed. First of all you need to make this room look little lighter. .. Lets rearrange the furniture:
    1. Give some space between all the furniture pieces and walls. Bring the main sofa piece little closer to the center table making passage behind it for the balcony. Even if you move all the furniture little towards the center table you will have enough moving space to the front and back of the furniture.
    2. Move your lounge sofa and keep it on the place of Ottomons and Ottomons in front of curtains making open space in front of balcony. This will give an open and spacious look to the room.
    3. Move the chairs little close to the center table making space behind and place them diagonally instead of placing in a straight line as if they gonna merge in the center point of the table.
    4. Get a straight line console not much in width and place it in the centre of the wall behind the ottomons. Keep the accessory piece(can't get a clear picture of what is it) on the console instead of placing it on floor.
    You can change the curtains color to olive green, or beige etc..or you can keep your curtains open in the middle to make less color effect of the curtains in the room.
    Place the picture frames little lower on the main sofa wall, at least lower than the curtain rod line.

These are some of the suggestions. You can always experiment by moving furniture here and there in the room or by changing accessories spots. Its not always about buying new stuff and throwing old ones... If needed you can always purchase some and change the whole look of the room. Good Luck and explore your inner taste. Thanks :)
  • Charu Sood_Malik
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Okay ignore the present decor, just give me feedback on how you would decorate a room like this, its rectangular with a huge glass door leading to the balcony, but needs to be covered for privacy and also to bar too harsh sunlight specially in summers, can change curtains and furniture, but want to keep the lounge sofa which is currently placed against the curtains and the rug and the chandelier if possible, posting a photo showing it now...
  • charleee
    9 years ago
    Go with thermal curtains, they will block sunlight and provide privacy.
  • Charu Sood_Malik
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks ID'zine, really loved your suggestions, will definitely try them. Thanks a lot Olldbob loved your suggestions as well, will try to tone down the color, adored the Sutton black coffee table suggested by you.
  • Charu Sood_Malik
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Rearranged my furniture as suggested by ID'zine.Here are the pics. Please tell me if its a hit or a miss.Awaiting your valuable feedback..
  • charleee
    9 years ago
    I'm sorry, I actually like it better the way you had it before. I liked the chaise near the window, and the two ottomans kept a lower, more welcoming profile. With thec haise there now, the back is to the entrance and it says 'don't come in'. Just my opinion.
  • Leanne Field
    9 years ago
    I'm no decorator, but I do love the ottomans in front of the window. But to olldbob's point, perhaps you can swap the chaise and the chairs? that breaks up that "wall" of furniture currently created by the chaise.
  • Charu Sood_Malik
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks a lot for your feedback. @Olldbob~I felt the same after doing that and that is why changed the alignment almost immediately after taking the pics. Didn't log in after that so couldn't see your response. This is what I did after that, shifted the chairs in front of the curtain, and put the chaise in their place, ottomans are back to their original position. I've tried various alignments in the past but can't change the position of ottomans 'cos they provide an openness to the space.On mulling over your previous suggestion, just have a small doubt, why did you suggest black pieces?Would they really blend in with the type of furniture that I have, wouldn't a dark brown color go with the decor.Also, don't you think thespace looks very ordinary.I get confused as to what accessories I should use to make it look more classy.Here's a pic of what it looks like now.
  • jodigouldakbd
    9 years ago
    It's lovely now! I think your room is in desperate need of a solid, though. Lots of pattern keeps my eye moving around and around... Maybe lose the fabric on the coffee table? Hang some nice lanterns from the center of the ceiling for a focal point? I like this layout, though.
  • jodigouldakbd
    9 years ago
    Never mind, I see the fabric is gone. Maybe a solid odor pillow or two?
  • jodigouldakbd
    9 years ago
    "Color"! Ugh. Autocorrect.
  • charleee
    9 years ago
    I don't think your space looks ordinary at all, I think it's quite lovely. And I much prefer this layout. Black was just a suggestion. The only thing I would like is something to "cool" the space down, right now all the colors and patterns are making it hot. Perhaps change the drapes and pillows on the chairs to off-white.
  • Charu Sood_Malik
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hmm thanks for the idea, do you think adding a plain slip cover for the ottomans would reduce the pattern?Actually got them from my in-laws that's why the difference in pattern.
  • charleee
    9 years ago
    jodiness, love that autocorrect!....Bobbi
  • charleee
    9 years ago
    I think the ottomans are fine, perhaps a solid cover for the chaise? An area rug with less pattern?
  • Charu Sood_Malik
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Okay what color do you suggest
  • charleee
    9 years ago
    Allow me to ask you a question. What kind of a final look are you going for? If you want a more modern take on your room, I would start with the wall color. It needs to be toned down, it's too hot and vibrant and it's competeing with the colors in your upholstery. The large pillow on your sofa looks like it has an off-white band on it. You could take it to the paint store and have them match that color, and your drapes could be the same to create a seamless flow.

Perhaps a slipcover for the chaise, that's the only pattern I don't care for. Matching pillows for the two chairs in a solid off-white fabric. An area rug like this in the vanilla color: [houzz=
    Geneve Indoor-Outdoor Rug · More Info
    ]

And lower your artwork to eye level, right now it's a bit too high. Done!
  • alwaysdesigning
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    You have very high walls so I would do a tall wainscot on the walls to create some warmth and decoration at the same time. Take everything off the walls and remove all the small little shelfs and decorations, leave only the big furniture. Then start over with the wall decor. Need some bold statements to create some balance and interest but not clutter. Add some larger shelves if you need shelves, something hefty and interesting. It's hard to see wall color and how it works with the upholstery. Do you need all that furniture in the space? I would thin it out. Remove one of the sofas and place the chairs across from the other one. Open up the space in front of the window.

Add a sofa table behind a sofa along the wall and decorate it with a couple large vintage style lamps with some accent color (pull a color from the rug that you like) on each end and tablescape the middle of the table. Add a huge mirror above Bring that same accent color into the space with some bookshelf decor but not cluttery. I am not a fan of the drapes; something more neutral in a grommet panel style that can easily be opened. Hang them at the ceiling. They will look really nice because they create nice gentle folds if the fabric is a bit heavy for weight. Good luck
    [houzz=
    Eclectic Living Room · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    St. Alban's New Old Home · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    thriftydecorchick · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    family room · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=]
    [houzz=
    Jennifer Brouwer Design Inc · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Built-in Storage behind Sofa · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Living Room · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Tailor Made · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Black & Beige Living Room · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Beach Style Living Room · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Dickens · More Info
    ]
  • Charu Sood_Malik
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Those were quite good ideas,thanks a lot.Talking about toning down the vibrance in this room, I want you to take a look of the adjoining space,should I keep it open.See the pic..
  • Charu Sood_Malik
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I mean both the rooms are connected by an open space, but I'd covered it with thick curtains for privacy.
  • charleee
    9 years ago
    Your dining room is so much better!!! Continue that wall color all the way thru the living room It's ok to keep the curtains, they seem to match your furniture. If the tablecloth isn't necessary I would remove it, because your dining set is very modern and the tablecloth isn't.

One more thing would be to get an off-white, or white, throw to put at the head of the chaise.

I would suggest trying some of these suggestions and then repost so we can help you with your artwork.
  • mariaed
    8 years ago
    post from 2012.