kspfeifer

is this rug too busy?

Kelly Pfeifer
9 years ago
Should i just get a simple rug and add color with pillows?

Comments (128)

• cucina1990
    9 years ago
    Everyone says paint the walls, or buy new furniture etc. Nice rug but in the wrong room I think. Less bother and money to replace the rug with a geometric ikat etc. which works with your sofa.
  • Vicky Paine-Mantha
    9 years ago
    You could pick one vibrant colour for the rug ( perhaps the colour of the pillow in the photo) , to complement the furniture. A loose pile might add some whimsical feeling to the room also.
  • Related Discussions

Need help with good photography for my Rugs

Q

Comments (8)
    A professional photographer would be an excellent idea. But if you don't think you can afford to do so and want to invest in an appropriate camera and lighting which can be very expensive. B & H photo in New York could probably advise you. Or Adorama. But there is definitely a learning curve to do great photography. It is not as easy as it looks. Different backdrops take different lighting. It also depends on the lighting in the area you will be taking the pictures.
    ...See More

Area rug too small!

Q

Comments (18)
    Thank you for your suggestions everyone. I am going to layer it with another solid rug and use it in the living room. My living room neds a bit of colour and I thought this would be perfect. Breaks my heart to think that I may have to put it elsewhere.
    ...See More

rug color and choice urgent!!

Q

Comments (23)
    Manvisudan, choosing a rug more along the lines of what I showed will afford you the opportunity to add some fun and interesting pillows to your silver ones. Its easy to change your pillows when you want a different look. The rug, on the other hand, is a bit more of an investment. Let me know if you would like pillow and art recommendations :)
    ...See More

What to do with a rug that my husband brought back from india

Q

Comments (11)
    we do in guest bedroom,, but not sure will go with colors I have picked out, and the great room is a vaulted ceiling ....I guess we will just have to see...our house is being built and will be very open..not alot of wall space.
    ...See More
  • kblueke
    9 years ago
    This rug has personality. It makes a statement. You can still add color in other ways if you like.
  • Cary McCart
    9 years ago
    The only thing the room, and sofa needs, is a light color on the wall behind the sofa. Then it will pop. The sofa is a dark hole against that wall. Light wall, bright pillows and the sofa becomes the focal point it is suppose to be.
  • Diane L
    9 years ago
    The rug style looks early American, the furniture doesn't match the style.
  • cinbad4
    9 years ago
    No keep the rug and the ad more colourful pillows too!
  • mennenster
    9 years ago
    YES
  • rightmitten
    9 years ago
    It's the white background of the rug. A darker background with the design would work.
  • silverscreenstar
    9 years ago
    I agree with the previous comment. The white background of the rug is too bright for the dark coloured furniture in the proximity of the rug, making it appear to be "too busy".
  • 03runyan04
    9 years ago
    Sorry, I agree w/the bold, bright white background...not good, too busy. I'm all for patterns but in your case this pattern is waaaay to big. You need a smaller, more conservative pattern. A white background does NOT work with your furniture, flooring. I do like the 2 suggested pillows for your furniture. Depends on rug but pillows do not need to match, just compliment your furniture and colors. Wish I was in your area to help you out! Best wishes!
  • larr
    9 years ago
    If u ask yourself, then u know it is, try again
    Watch Sarah Richardsons website videos for color and pattern ideas
  • Marie
    9 years ago
    To busy for me. Is this the first thing you want your guests to see when they enter the room? I also don't feel the style of your furniture goes with the run. That rug would look good with a white sofa.
  • georgiannaclays
    9 years ago
    I would like rug bigger, Walls same as background of rug, light blue rocker either slip covered in white washable fabric or replaced with a white leather recliner. Throw pillows to pick rug colors. OR change out rug for one with more of a flow with existing furniture and change paint if necessary. I could picture this rug in child's room easily.
  • Dixie Landers
    9 years ago
    at first I was going to say to add a glass coffee table to match the side tables; you sstill see the rug but the table is like a centerpiece, then I say=w your second pic with the table. for me, that addition made a huge difference in settling the rug and then I'd add a big vase of red flowers on the table!
  • leelee
    9 years ago
    No, the rug isn't good and it's too small. It's going to go out of style very quickly. I'd stay classic and go upbeat with pillows.

The rug is so strong in pattern that it will compete with art and other accessories. Stay classic and not trendy.
    Kelly Pfeifer thanked leelee
  • Arlene Davey
    9 years ago
    Just goes to show that some people like a certain look and that design is personal. I have no problem with the rug but find the chairs rather staid and boring with the sofa. I would add something more contemporary to go with the rug. And, add the other elements I mentioned earlier. Many designers suggest starting with a rug one likes or a fabric or art piece and working around it. You can do this with that rug if you love it.
  • Carmen Morell
    9 years ago
    All that matters its that you love it! You make it work!:-)
  • Evelyn Delaney
    9 years ago
    It is busy but if u like it it's O K
  • bebop730
    9 years ago
    You must like the rug and want more color or you'd not have gotten the rug! Great suggestions, cool to tie in rug color with some soft colors/textures rather than prints on the pillows. But instead of a couple of black/white pictures, get something that has one of the rug colors. A large painting would look fabulous.
    I like the rug, too, and have been contemplating just such a purchase so this was very interesting to me!
  • odwyer
    9 years ago
    Hang it on the wall above the couch. Also end table and lamp seem too light weight for such massive sofa and chairs.
  • lilyhammer1
    9 years ago
    The rug is very nice. It seem a little to small. Get the next size bigger and enjoy the spark of colour and character the rug adds to your decor.
  • foreverfarm11
    9 years ago
    the furniture is very dark for this rug, you need to add some pops of colors to match the rug around area - pillows, art etc
  • PRO
    RNR International Real Estate Group
    9 years ago
    Why not do both?
  • melissarustyrobertson
    9 years ago
    Love the rug! just add more accent (the red) for balance
  • PRO
    ModernEarth Design Inc.
    9 years ago
    The rug is a wonderful starting point to introducing the bold pattern and color! I think the rug should be brought underneath the front legs of the sofa so there won't be a divide and will cause a better flow. I did a space ( a lounge for a conference) and we played with color and pattern. Hopefully you might find this inspiring
    Kelly Pfeifer thanked ModernEarth Design Inc.
  • Amanda Lynch
    9 years ago
    Too busy. It makes the room look claustrophobic. I always enjoy toned down large pieces with fun extras. It's best if you're on a budget and easy change with the seasons.
  • PRO
    What's Inside Design Ltd.
    9 years ago
    Hi Kelly,

I took some time and created a vision board for you. The elements depicted are examples of what you can use to tie your rug in with the rest of your space!
    Have fun decorating! :)
    Kelly Pfeifer thanked What's Inside Design Ltd.
  • magicmarina
    9 years ago
    I am sorry, but no matter how many more colours you will introduce to this room to fit your rug in, it won't work with your couch or colour of the floorboards! Your couch is simply way too dark. Buy a new white couch or at least light grey to balance colours in the room. Or, simply, return the rug and get another one, perhaps, also colourful but definitely NOT with a white background.
  • PRO
    What's Inside Design Ltd.
    9 years ago
    I have to disagree. You simply need to balance the darkness of the couch out with other dark elements. For that exact reason, I incorporated the dark baskets, lamps, light fixture and frames into your vision board. Mixing warm and cool colours is also a beautiful way to add energy and excitement to a space! With design knowledge and creativity, you can make anything belong! If you love the rug Kelly, then you will also love the elements you choose to compliment it! :)
    Kelly Pfeifer thanked What's Inside Design Ltd.
  • sondramartina
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Where is Kelly?
    I think the rug is too white.
    Kelly Pfeifer thanked sondramartina
  • Kelly Pfeifer
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Well after everyone's help I've finally decided to get a sisal rug and add color with pillows, lampshades, and artwork. I was worried the rug would just be too busy overtime and hard to coordinate around. Now, sisal rug shopping! They are pretty pricey! :( Kelly
  • Arlene Davey
    9 years ago
    A sisal rug will work with the extras added. You must have been awfully confused by all those comments!!!
    Kelly Pfeifer thanked Arlene Davey
  • Kelly Pfeifer
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Very much so, but thought about it getting dated so thought be simple with big pieces and add color with the smaller items would be better for my pocket book. Lol
    Just posted on my small dining room dilemma. Let me know what you think. :) K
  • Arlene Davey
    9 years ago
    Will be looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
  • Evelyn Delaney
    9 years ago
    I would like to see how it turns out
  • castelina
    9 years ago
    I love the rug.. Maybe just change out the blue pillows for a lighter color and keep the coral ones.
  • quiltsbylisa
    9 years ago
    The rug is great. You just need to "lighten" the dark sofa with some brighter/lighter colored pillows. Stripes? Other geometric prints? Go for it!
  • mellgc
    9 years ago
    Oh I think you should have kept the rug! First of all it's all a matter of taste & we are all different. I love the ideas from Design Style. My first thought when I saw your pic was "LOVE the rug,,lighter pillows will bring it all together!" I have brown leather furniture & I use pillows to lighten & brighten my room. Good luck & trust what YOU like!
  • mellgc
    9 years ago
    It's What's Inside Design, not Design Style,,,sorry about that!
  • mellgc
    9 years ago
    Read the Aug 18th newsletter titled: My Houzz: It all started with the rug.
  • wickedxx
    9 years ago
    I love the rug. It looks to be a bit small or needs to go under the sofa a bit.
  • nkahovec
    9 years ago
    Great rug-just pull the colors into your pillows and accessories, maybe lampshades, too. Use one of the neutral colors from rug for wall paint.
  • PRO
    kayla's korner
    9 years ago
    pick up the white in the rug and add red,white blue pillows. or get white covers over dark furniture and ad red and blue pillows
  • lynnettsexton
    9 years ago
    the little blue chair throws off everything, too small and not a good color or style with the rug and the rest of the furniture .Great rug, just need to set your design with furniture that's the same scale. a neutral chair with a pop of color!
  • PRO
    sharonna misha designs
    9 years ago
    It is. I would not "just get a simple rug and add color with pillows" though. I would add color with pillows, but I would also do a bold graphic print rug- but something more geometric- maybe white and yellow chevron. yellow looks great and classic with grays, which is what I think your furniture is? or blues... this pillow would coordinate nicely with that look, too...
    this link may give you some good ideas for colors/prints: http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/studio/sharonna/0/0/0/pillows
  • PRO
    Elite Interior Staging
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Love the rug! Go bold with your accents too!
  • PRO
  • PRO
    Enomoto Designs
    8 years ago

I think that the color balance is off - the eye is drawn to the rug and the furniture is lost. Decide where you want your focus to be. If you love the rug then either reupholster the furniture or buy new furniture that is lighter and has a similar color pallet as the rug.

• jbtanyderi
    8 years ago
    My answer if "yes". At the same time, I have to point out that the current rug is too small. The upholstered pieces should all be at least partly on the rug.
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    8 years ago

You need the rug to be larger and I don't think this one works in the space...I think it feels to youthful.....you can still do bold colors.

Maybe something like this Ikat rug with deep bold colors...