allidandi

Exterior advice needed!

9 years ago
We're about to start a new remodel and need help on exterior advice. Things were doing so far is removing all siding and stone, extending the right side of house about 6 feet long (no window). We're thinking either batten board siding, horizontal siding, shingles, or a mix of two. We really love farmhouse look but dont know how to achieve with a ranch style single story. Two questions in particular but wanted to know peoples opinion in general as to what they would do to increase curb appeal:

1- Is it possible to put portico over front door area with the roof's being two different heights? Trying to think of something to put over entryway to add a little eye pleasing asymmetry

2- SInce the right side of house is being extended, any ideas on breaking up that long expansion of house with siding or shutters, etc?

Any opinions greatly appreciated!

Comments (30)

• PRO
    9 years ago
    I'd paint and do the addition if needed, and add to the kids college fund instead of removing and replacing the siding and stone.

Remove the shutters.

Step the addition back a bit from the front wall of the house if possible so it does not look like a continuation. This will provide a bit of interest as the roof plain will change, and will eliminate the need to match the stone.
  • 9 years ago
    Thanks for the input ppf. Though we're definitely decided on removing the siding and stone, we have the funds :) Do you think a portico would look good over the entry?
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I would emphasize the horizontality of the ranch home with new horizontal siding. You can use the height of the window sills as the transition between broad, shiplap siding and narrower 4" tongue and groove siding (use a wood water table at the window sill height that separates the lower ship lap siding from the narrower tongue and groove siding). Have a look at my Forest Hill project as one example of we what you could achieve with the application of simple, readily available materials. These would give you a more contemporary look to your house. You could also update the garage door with a frosted glass door like the ones used in the same project. Here is a link to my project showing before and after photos:

http://www.houzz.com/projects/361889/Forest-Hills--North-Vancouver-Exterior-Renovation
    allidandi thanked Maltby Design
  • 9 years ago
    I also agree. And the landscaping will also add interest plus dimension
    allidandi thanked sharon7771
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Bump up the addition roof (cathedral) 9-10' ceilings, cedar shake roof or slate, cedar siding (mix shake with board/batten, clapboard.
    Live dormer in new addition for light and to break up the roof line.
    On existing roof add smaller fake dormer (over framed) and in those dormers
    are oval windows or stained glass.
    I could go on and on. There are so many variable and so little time.

Good luck
    allidandi thanked Residential Building Consultants
  • 9 years ago
    We just completed a remodel on a ranch. We added 12 feet to the end of the house but moved it forward 6 feet to create some dimension. This now creates a private viewing garden from my new master bath. It's important to make it look like it has always been there and not tacked on. You can do this with landscaping as well.
    allidandi thanked gailwymore
  • 9 years ago
    The portico idea is interesting but complicated with your rooflines. Only a designer or contractor looking at it from all angles would be able to say for certain. If you do go that route, make sure the gable pitch matches that of the garage. If you have room, a free-standing pergola of some sort may work there. I like the idea someone had regarding using more dimensional roofing. Is that part of this project? Really, doing that might give you the interest and visual substance you apparently crave. Carefully chosen paint colors would go a long way toward highlighting the texture in the siding, the trim boards, and the doors. Definitely no shutters--fake, flimsy, out of scale add-ons like that bug me to no end. Use vertical landscaping elements at the new corner of the house for interest. Lose the ivy. Get bigger coach lights. I like your brick, by the way.
    allidandi thanked Tia
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Hi. I love the ranch style; it just needs some updating. HGTV has a show called fixer upper, wherein a Texas couple renovates homes. They just did one recently...maybe episode7, 8 or 9? You can find it and DVR it. They had a home much like yours to redo, and they took off vinyl siding in the covered porch area and added board and batten Hardi siding, with the 1x2" strips covering the seams. Your home would look great with the siding like that, and adding a rustic ledgestone in place of the brick you're removing. I'd also take the six feet out to the side, and add forward 6-7 feet of that new addition, creating an L. I don't know what that room is, but a reading nook with window that matches the others, or even an extra closet in that room would ALWAYS be appreciated. Then, extend the porch all the way across the front of the house to the garage. Over the doorway and closest window, mimic the gable eye that is over the garage. To draw the eye to the front to the house, make sure the eye is larger, yet to the same scale as the garage one. You could use a light gray on the Hardi siding, with charcoals, grays and some tans on the ledgestone. Then, add huge cedar beams all across the front porch for beefiness. If this porch is at least 6' deep, (I'd go 7-8), you can add a seating area in the front of your house. Then, I would add beefy hand made cedar shutters on each window on the front. You can still add a classy black front door, and charcoal shingles (if the budget allows for a new roof). If it's gray, as it seems, then it will still work. The trim around the windows and doors should be white and black, to make them pop with the brown cedar. Paint the garage door the gray of the hardi siding and outline it in black and white. OR, if budget allows, a great cedar garage door would look awesome. Get black large carriage lights flanking the garage door and also by the front door. Add some cool ceiling fans under the porch, and then some black or charcoal patio furniture with pops of a bright color, like coral, or maybe aqua. It would be a ranch style updated for today!
    Good luck! please post pics of your changes! :)
    allidandi thanked Kimberley Johnson~Zina & Co. Real Estate
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    gailwymore's idea of moving the front addition up a few feet is awesome, btw!
  • 9 years ago
    That's a nice looking house! If you're removing those brick, I hope you'll find another good use for them--in the garden maybe? Having the help of a reputable architect and contractor is very important for remodels--especially one like this--where you're changing the exterior.
    allidandi thanked diyer59
  • 9 years ago
    I had a house with a similar style/layout. I removed my shutters, put carriage house doors with black straps/hardware on the garage and carriage lantern lights to match. Add some flowers and it completely transforms the look of the house. A climbing rose trellis between your two front windows would break up the expanse of the front. I'm not certain what you are picturing for a portico, but instead you could maybe do a trellis/benches to direct the focus to the front door without messing with the roof lines. Just a thought.
    allidandi thanked jh77
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Find a way to separate the 2 street entrances from the house- Front Door and Garage. Accentuate the view and functionality leading to the front door. You want to create an inviting, attention-grabbing aesthetic to lead the eye to the front door. Keep the garage and driveway portion simple and understated to not attract attention.
    allidandi thanked James Hughes Landscaping
  • 9 years ago
    What about Lattice Patio Covers at front door.
    allidandi thanked Julia Hale
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Lattice is never ok.
  • 9 years ago
    I recently removed my white aluminum siding and faded green shutters...red front door, and replaced with Certainteed Vinyl cedar shake siding...beautiful gray...and had black awnings made for top windows in the front and back of my little home...finishing off by painting my worn out red door in high gloss black. A new mailbox and presto! Brand new look! Neighbors were blown away with the transformation, and it turned out just like the vision in my head where it all began.
    allidandi thanked Maria Enerhardt
  • 9 years ago
    Thanks everyone for your input! Even though I love the idea of setting the addition forward 6 more feet, we're unable to do that because there are some pretty hefty redwoods growing there. We are replacing the roof as well, forgot to mention before. I love the idea of a porch in the front and gable over the entry, but we'll have to see what time/budget allows. We're set on removing stone, and even though I love the look of board and batten siding, I'm not sure if that would really look best with how horizontal the house is. Maybe horizontal siding would look best? Or if we go B&B maybe a porch and some landscaping will break it up enough that it wont look like a jail cell..?
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I would recommend you invest in the services of a local Architect or Residential designer to pull everything together for you. It would be a small financial investment that will pay off tremendously.
    allidandi thanked Maltby Design
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Some roof extension ideas to consider with your architect. They can be translated to both front and back porches depending on where you want to do your outdoor living. Most are contemporary western ranch farmhouse style. Hope you have a great budget as these structural changes can be budget busters and will effect the interior as well. Good luck.

[houzz=
    Hornstein Residence · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Mid-Century Remodel & Interior Design · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=]
    [houzz=
    Webster Exterior · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Residential Renovation, Laird Jackson Design House · More Info
    ]
    allidandi thanked Elise
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    You can still achieve the uniform look of the 2 eyebrow gables, one you already have, and one over the front porch. Also, you can extend the porch without adding square feet to the house. You could just add big chunky cedar beams for columns. I would definitely do the vertical board and batten siding. I'm thinking the episode I was talking about is #9 on Fixer Upper. Here's a couple of images that look like the upscale country vibe I think you're going for. The last one has lots of your wishes, I think...?
    [houzz=
    Exterior · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    The Leatherman · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    647 WD · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Exterior · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I concur with Maltby Design: you really need to engage an architect or designer for what you're planning. Yes, I'm biased - I wouldn't be in this profession if I didn't believe in the value it provides. But having someone experienced with this sort of thing, and actually at your house as opposed to looking at photos on the internet, will help you immensely with considering your options, overcoming challenges, and tying it all together into a final product that really looks good and meets your goals. It might be an expense you hadn't planned on, but you'll definitely come out ahead in the end; it will be money well spent. And you don't even have to leave this site - Houzz has a great tool to help you find top-rated professionals in your area.
    allidandi thanked Don R Titus, Residential Architect LLC
  • 9 years ago
    Plus if you have a good plan you can do the work in stages and not live in a mess for a long time. And if you over spend, you will have a stopping and starting again point.
    allidandi thanked janepgn
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    We agree with jl77’s suggestion of a trellis between your front windows. McNICHOLS®’ Wire Meshcan create a “living wall” on your home’s exterior. Our website www.mcnichols.com has product information and photo galleries.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    There are some great ideas offered here. Normally we would be stopping in to recommend shutter options, but it's difficult to offer those without seeing more of the design drawn out based on some of the suggestions here. Right now, your shutters are not properly sized for the window,s and in all honesty, shouldn't have them. If you want shutters for a functional purpose, based on the directional sunlight and airflow, then your best bet would be Bahama shutters, which offer shade, ventilation, and also a decorative element, similar to awnings. For decorative purposes, architectural elements around the windows, along with landscaping and detailed paint would have much more of an impact.

http://www.timberlane.com/files/7213/6726/3445/Bermuda_1.jpg
  • 9 years ago
    Invest in an architect. I agree with leaving brick and siding. Once architect is involved ask him/her to suggest exterior colors, paint small,area of stone and siding and look at it for several weeks before spending the $$'on removing it all
    allidandi thanked dooders1981
  • 9 years ago
    thanks everyone!
  • 9 years ago
    Hello... can somebody help me with what colour combination I should use as an exterior paint for my house..I am absolutely confused.. I prefer white for the main theme...thank you..
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    You should start a separate discussion with pictures of your house. Your question will likely get lost if you tack it on to someone else's discussion.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Yet another trellis idea
  • 9 years ago
    Thank you...I will..