teddryan

BuilderBobEddy
12 years ago
I don't know what to do with this picture window. I'm not sure if I should leave it without a window treatment. I had a valance hanging before, but it just seemed to block the view. The view is hard to see because the picture is over-exposed, but is lovely. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (32)

• jmbalboni
    12 years ago
    should dress this window. Why don't you look at a flat mesh shade to diffuse the light but still be able to see through and It looks like you have traditional style furniture so why not put a simple cornice (all the way to the ceiling) or a rod from wall to wall with side panels that open completely to expose the window
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    12 years ago
    Just did this exact window myself. For a layered look, and to make best use of my wonderful fabrics, I used a double rod, put all the way to the ceiling, and put floor length panels on the front rod, then made a fabric panel that hangs to the top of the window glass all the way across the back rod, dying behind the side panels. No glass is covered, so none of the view is lost.
  • Related Discussions

Dear sir I have length 30 feels, height50feets I want new houses plan

Q

Comments (1)
    Sir please correct me if i'm wrong. Is it 50 feet high or its the width of the plot. And if its constructed then please send the structural details.
    ...See More

Help for my small dream home .

Q

Comments (32)
    Thank you nagadeepti, but there is an issue, my father has already finished with the basic foundation,sump, and pillars when I tried to tell him about the option he said that its not possible to change the plan , Please let me know if there are any other option , i have included the ground floor plan as well ,I thought of swapping the bedroom to kitchen in first floor , let me know if its possible according to vastu since its north facing site with roads on both north and south . we have made slight changes instead of full utility in ground floor its only till kitchen , bedroom is extended to make 9*10, and kink for fridge is removed . balcony in second floor is removed . Kindly help if there are any other suggetion to make look house spacious. stairs to the terrace from outside has to be there. I know iam asking for more in a small space.but please help. finally this is the elavation we have decided on with a little bit of modification like extended balconies. Thank you all but my effort is just to make everything good for a little house for my 1.3 yr old daughter. Anam
    ...See More

How to convert store into wardrobe?

Q

Comments (3)
    put wardrobe in L shape and mirror with small dressingg unit in opposite wall of wardrobe and plz do remove the gate and try to put sliding doors with translucent glass that make more space
    ...See More

Cushion fabric and colour

Q

Comments (4)
    You can consider a sparsely printed material for the seat and back but which has traces of the wall colours on a light background.
    ...See More
  • lefty47
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    All dining rooms need drapes -- they can be open during the day for the view but for evening dining the views are just big black holes when it's dark out. Have the two walls fully draped ceiling to floor and wall to wall . Keep them very tailored. It will make the room looked finished and elegant. See if you can add a chandellier.
  • PRO
    B Fein Interiors LLC
    12 years ago
    You definitely need a window treatment! Think of it as Framing The View. If your budget allows it use an elegant wool (try Highland Court's Wool Satin #180427H) to create drapery panels. It drapes beautifully! Use a color that is similar to your wall color. Mount as close to the ceiling as possible to make the ceilings look taller.
  • PRO
    VK Sustainable Concepts
    12 years ago
    Hi teddryan,
    The interior architecture of your home is asking for an elegant window treatment. Play with layers so during the day you can have enough day light entering the room while keeping your privacy. Dress it up with the window by adding accessories like tassels, fringes, fancy rods and hardware.
    Best,
    Andrea
  • PRO
    D John Design
    12 years ago
    Also think about accenting the window trim in another color - dark colors on trim pull the eye outside and will help creating a focal point for the view. Frame the windows with drapes but don't block it. Definitely add an appropriately scaled chandelier.
  • PRO
    Troy Builders
    12 years ago
    I had the same dilemma as I love big open windows with views. After two years I added drapes and absolutely love them! They "make" the room! You can just barely cover the edge of the window on each side - it doesn't decrease your view and it actually gives the appearance of a larger window. I would use a complimentary color to something in your room...perhaps one of the darker colors in the fabric of your chairs. I think if you try to match your walls you will lose the dramatic effect that can be achieved here!
  • PRO
    User
    12 years ago
    I like stationary side panels on either side on a decorative rod. That will add warmth to the room, a finished look and keep you view. If privacy and light control is an issue, then use operable sheers underneath that stack off of the window when open.
  • phiwwy
    12 years ago
    I agree - stationary panels are the way to go. I did that in my living room with smaller windows and it looks beautiful. Hang them as high as you can. Add some tassels on the inside edge and it will look very elegant. Good luck!
  • PRO
    BuilderBobEddy
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Thank you everyone! I really appreciate the feedback. Stationary side panels it shall be.
  • stillman5
    12 years ago
    I would leave the white wood work, dark would make the room look smaller. I would add "more" wood by framing inside the windows like a french door is framed. You can follow the pattern already started. The view is too beautiful to give up. I would shear ceiling to floor on both "walls". I would use a heavier sheer, but not too heavy. At night that is an elegant look and daylight offers a a light amount of defusion plus most of the view. It also gives you the elegance of the sheer when you have them open and do not want defused light.
    My reason is you need something. For me I don't want my guest to feel like they are in a fish bowl while dining with me in my home especially at night or cloud covered days.
    Keep all the wood you can showing. Wood is beautiful. If you really want some drape look, then make your drapes on the sides and in the cornor fill the whole corner with draping over the sheer look. The shear look needs to go ceiling to floor when the draped closed or open.
    Live with only the sheers until you decide if you even want or need to increase the look with drapes but only for more elegants. Lucky you, I would love a room like yours. Wood Windows make a house beautiful so you want to show that off. Light is premium.
  • stillman5
    12 years ago
    Ya know I may not have explained that right. You need a sheer or light material look that actually falls in an even accordian/pleated pattern in the hanging. Not just sheers that are gathered and scrunched up all the way across. Some times those grommets that are used at the top of your material give the material that ability and are easliy pulled open and closed.
  • PRO
    BuilderBobEddy
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    One more question: These doors that go to the deck.... should they get the same treatment with same stationary side panels? Also, should I have make the same panels to carry over into the living room to tie the the rooms together? I don't know if you're supposed to leave doors without treatments or if it would be nice to frame them with panels. Thanks again for all the wonderful feedback.
  • PRO
    Holzman Interiors, Inc.
    12 years ago
    Here's a great photo of a room romanced both by color and design. Window panels are the answer but be careful that you don't hide the light by doing so. The window treatments can be different but compliment each other. Roman shades out of the same fabric can be a good solution to your home. Good Luck or contact me for more personalized information
  • PRO
    User
    12 years ago
    I would leave the doors as they are with no treatment since you will have panels in both rooms on either side, I think it would be too much drapery.
  • lefty47
    12 years ago
    I don't agree --- I think if all the windows are in view of the others , then they should all have the same treatments - at lest the same fabric choice. With the open room living we have today thats more important than ever.
  • PRO
    InteriorsbyDesign
    12 years ago
    Your lovely windows beg for a window treatment. I would do simple, long side panels on decorative rods. These can be floor-to-ceiling "dummy panels" that are designed to just frame the outside framework of the windows, not cover them.
    Depending on your decor, they can be opaque or heavier linen, blended cotton, etc.. I would tend to keep them a neutral solid, or a subtle tone-on-tone pattern. And, yes, I would do these on all the windows.
    I also think you need a chandelier in this room, over the table. Can't tell from the photo, but can you swing the table around the other way? Seems like you
    would have more room that way, if it is possible.
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    12 years ago
    I'm going to buck the trend and say no to also doing your doors. They're doors, not windows, and are visually a separate entity from your dining area.

Besides, I think I'm seeing dark drapes in the room to the left, and I'm seeing lots of suggestions for light drapes in the dining area -- choosing one or the other for the door would look lopsided.

To me, no treatment around the door is your "sorbet between courses."
  • lefty47
    12 years ago
    I have one way pull window covering on my patio doors and they look and function just great and nothing looks lopsided. We need coverings for the evenings for privacy.
  • stillman5
    12 years ago
    Doesn't look like you can turn your table and thats okay, it is pretty because it looks wide too. You might wan to consider
    a long lengthed hanging chandelier to spread out not quite across that large table and focal window.
    This looks like it may be the window you see first when you walk in your door. If it is, I don't think just dummy panels are gonna make that window a walk in focal point. The chandileir will help . Looks like you have 9 ft ceiliings, Treatment all the way up to the ceiling would make those ceiling seem even
    taller and that window more of a focal point. Seems to me your gonna need eithr sheers between are a beauty of a valance or padded cornice. Not trying to be pushy, you know what you like. You look like you might be traditional. Maybe formal is pushing your traditinal for you.
    I also don't like the wide window expanse with just the panels and rod across with the nothing covering the wall above the window. I would still do shears between but you know your house and style best.
    Put the panels up and see what you think. You can always add if it doesn't stand out. Now that I see how that other wall end into the open area with your patio door on the other side, Wrap around the wall drapery won't work either. Just dress each of the separately. The patio door should at least be in the same family of color and style they are too close to the other windows to be completely different. A tasteful muted pattern that picks up something in the kitchen might be okay if you need it to be a little different (but stay in the color family). I don't think you will want to take it to bold or eye catching and take away from your first look dining room window and chandilier.
  • PRO
    BuilderBobEddy
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    What if I went with light drapes for everything? Switched out the dark ones on the left and tied everything together? Again, thanks for all the great suggestions!
  • PRO
    Cedar Hill Home and Design
    12 years ago
    Looks like your window on the left is alot closer to the corner than the one centered on the wall. When you hang stationary panels on a window that is that close to the corner it can hang into the window further on that side and lopside the look of the window and the wall. Let me know if I am seeing that right on the photo. Room does need softening but need to see the whole picture for accurate advise! Also, is that picture on the other wall have a partner or is it lost and lonely...too small and high for a large wall?
  • LEYA Matalas
    12 years ago
  • stillman5
    12 years ago
    teddryan, someone else talked about more pictures. Yes, that is needed. what room is beyond your dining room. Is is your family room or your kitchen, etc. From the first picture it looked like a very separate formal dining room. Seeing the picture of your patio door it looks like this dining room is open from another room. What is beyond it, kit, fam rm. etc? Where is your front door, I was assuming that you walk in the house threw a great room and at first look you see through to the dining room ?
  • PRO
    BuilderBobEddy
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Hi Guys,

This panoramic shows the space a better. The whole back of the home is open concept. One big room, even though it is a kitchen and living room. The front of the house is an entrance, den and dining room. I was thinking of tying the kitchen and living room together using the same light curtains panels on the picture windows. Still not sure if I should frame the doors with the same panels, or leave untreated. Again, thanks for all the great advice. It's so much fun to get all of your opinions.
  • PRO
    BuilderBobEddy
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    I just realized you have to put your mouse over the picture to be able to see the panoramic. Again thanks for any suggestions!
  • lefty47
    12 years ago
    Now that I've seen the pan photo --- Yes, you do need to have the same window coverings on all the openings. One way I make people understand about patio doors is -- yes, we call it a door - it's really a window that is a door access. Patio doors were based on the idea of the windows they use in Europe and the southern states that are used like a door access to their patio gardens.
  • PRO
    Leya Matalas
    12 years ago
    the pano is neat.. to really get it.- ive seen these automated blinds and I love them. AS you see they are made to retract and some change the light coming through and are almost invisible- then you turn up the opaqueness for evening. but I would chose an area of relief for more warmth, like the side window to add a little elegance and charm and in the living room link a fabric or colour from the dining room..
  • PRO
    BuilderBobEddy
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Leya, You are amazing! THANK YOU!
  • littlemissk
    12 years ago
    I understand your not wanting to block your view. We have a similar situation where I have no draperies and we are in a rural setting so it gets very dark. I've lit up my backyard, fountains and pool so that it looks warm and inviting in the evening from all the windows. You can layer the lighting for yourself (down lights, puddles) or for when you are entertaining and wish more drama (up lights on large shrubs or trees), you can put them on timers or choose not to. There are many affordable ways to achieve a look that would frame your outdoors and make your views look like pieces of art from the interior. Something different to think about.
  • PRO
    Leya Matalas
    12 years ago
    ah thx! You're welcome ; ), & Good luck , you're almost there. I like the backyard lighting idea above.: ) Enjoy your lovely home.