angolson17

Need help with "rustic elegant" dining room!

angolson17
10 years ago
We are trying for a "Rustic elegant" décor. We need to get a new dining room light-currently we have a lovely 90s bright gold color! Any ideas? We are also going to put up curtains on the bay windows. I was thinking like a burlap or linen? Here are a few pictures of the room and one of the adjacent kitchen. We recently put up the pendant lights in brushed nickel. We like the style of these! We also just purchased the lighting fixture of the informal dining room that is also brushed nickel (both seen in the last picture). We have painted the walls the colors we like. We will also be putting down a dark brown laminate floor in all rooms. We are able to do a few changes in all rooms. Ideas welcome!

Comments (41)

• PRO
    angolson17 thanked Warner Decor
  • angolson17
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh, I really like the first table runner! Thank you. I am trying to avoid the grommet top curtains but I'm glad you also like the idea of a linen colored curtain in there. Would you recommend using a rod that is made for bay windows? Or 3 separate rods?
  • PRO
    Sorted Affairs Home Staging
    10 years ago
    Hello - I would like to see larger more colorful art and a punchier rug - can still be rustic but needs more color. Also, a larger centerpiece such as a big bowl with felted balls, or a few hurricane vases with different items in them. Need to add more color.
    angolson17 thanked Sorted Affairs Home Staging
  • PRO
    Bickford Construction Corporation
    10 years ago
    You might want to add crown molding and a substantial base molding, 6" high. Molding really defines the space adds interest and elegance. You might consider 3 separate roman shades instead of curtains because of the limitations of the bay window. Good luck, looking good so far!
    angolson17 thanked Bickford Construction Corporation
  • angolson17
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Well, we just purchased the rug, so I think that will have to stay :) What colors do you think we could try to add? Maybe in the curtains? Maybe pull more of the black out in accessories?
  • angolson17
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Perfect, we were also thinking a large base molding once the floor is put down! Our window casing is currently oak, so we were thinking dark stained brown to match the floor. We have lumber in our backyard and are planning to mill it ourselves!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Adding some reds or golds, but really, the green walls are fairly neutral so what colors do you like? Add those in moderation. Adding black will not give it the punch you need to really make the room shine. You have a great start with the table and the rug can work if you glam up the rest of the room. BTW, I think the crown molding is a terrific idea.
  • angolson17
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I think that is one of our main problems... we like brown and green (A LOT!) and we are not really sure how to accent it correctly. Do you have any pictures to help us visualize? We do like gold and mustard. Not sure about red...
  • angolson17
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here is a better picture of the rug. I found a RED table runner--I think it is too bright red but thought I would share.
  • hayleydaniels
    10 years ago
    I love your green walls! Mine are a similar color, and they add so much warmth and charm to my house I wish I'd done it years ago. Love your dog too--she looks like she wonders what on earth you're doing :)

I have a few thoughts for you as I'm very into a more rustic look as well.

For curtains, if you sew, you could make some simple curtains out of painters drop clothes. I made some for my bedroom, and am very pleased at what a rustic look they add to the room. I made them with a ruffle on top, and a simple casing for the curtain rod to go through. If you decide to do this, wash them drop clothes in very hot water first to soften them up, and then you're very soft and nice.

Secondly, I would change out the chandelier, and go with something more rustic in oiled bronze. Here's one I think would add to the rustic look and feel you're after:

http://www.lampsplus.com/products/quoizel-tavern-5-light-dark-bronze-chandelier__3m284.html

With your trim, I would go with a wider board. You might also look into something like panel doors in knotty alder or pine as they is very rustic. That's what we're doing, and love the look of it.
    angolson17 thanked hayleydaniels
  • angolson17
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I LOVE the drop cloth curtain idea. I have been having a hard time finding curtains tall enough for the space that are not super expensive. We were thinking about doing a barn door instead of the pocket door to the kitchen, at some point.

Do you think the oiled bronze chandelier would look okay with the brushed nickel in the kitchen and informal dining? What do you guys think about this lighting fixture? http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1319051&categoryId=cat1701013 There is nickel and bronze finishes available.
  • hayleydaniels
    10 years ago
    I think it's fine to have different finishes on different things when they aren't right next to each other. It's part of what gives a home it's 'funk' so to speak. It adds the warmth and charm of an older home where things have been collected over time, and it isn't matchy-match.

That light fixture strikes me as very elegant even though it's basic. Your dining room is elegant so it would look fine.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    I like the chandelier, but you'll need more "rustic" in your room. I'd slipcover the dining chairs in a tea stained green cabin check cotton fabric. Add a pair of these rustic and iron candle sconces on that end wall with new, more appropriate, art. The wall opposite the window could use a mirror to draw the light across the space.
    Sydney Weathered Rustic Wood Plank Iron Hurricane Candle Sconce · More Info

Reclaimed Sand Mold Framed Mirror · More Info

Natural Teak Root Mirror · More Info
  • angolson17
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I think I am starting to get it! :) I think we will do bronze in there for the fixture!

Do you guys think we should do a "picture" wall on the Eiffel tower wall instead? If so, would any of these things work? I also have some vintage cameras that I was thinking of getting some shelves for an putting up somewhere. Thank you all for the great ideas and comments!

(Love the side board idea and styling and the dog picture!)
  • PRO
    Design Mode
    10 years ago
    Love your vintage camera idea. Showcase those. The silver clock could go with the camera collection on a shelf.
    Of your pictures, I like the botanicals (paint the frames black or pewter).
    You could have a few rustic picture rails, along with some of the other black and white frames with your personal pictures. I also like the sunburst mini-mirror. The colours of the two brilliant abstract pieces throw off the scheme.
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/conquer-that-blank-wall-with-a-versatile-picture-ledge-stsetivw-vs~13684238
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    For some reason, your room seemed to be calling for blue to go with the lovely olive walls. And it wanted a round chandelier to break up the angles. And some grain sack roman shades for a bit of softness.
  • angolson17
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I do have a large world map-vintage. It's not framed or anything thing but it is large. I can't seem to find it right now to take a picture but it mainly blue in color. I also have some blue Mason jars (the new "vintage" ones).

If I did a picture rail on the far wall, do you think I should do one rail or two?
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    Grover is right with everthing but the blue.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I agree. The blue sours the pretty green walls.
  • angolson17
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for liking the green! We love it as well. Do you think maybe moving the Eiffel tower picture over to the right, and then doing a cluster of pictures on far wall? Or a display of the vintage cameras? I have 4 of them (see picture). I included the clock as Design Mode suggested putting them together. The boxes can be used or not. I do not have any shelves right now so open to any ideas regarding clustering with pictures or pieces.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    10 years ago
    these work great for the rustic look but a little modern flair....(if you will :) )
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    Black iron chandelier. Copper/bronze. Handblown amber-ish glass.
    Interlocking Circles Chandelier · More Info

Vintage Canning Jar Chandelier by LampGoods · More Info

Breakfast Area 2009 · More Info

Marco Polo Imports · More Info

Antique Black Iron and 3 White Flax Shade Chandelier · More Info

Kichler Lighting 43190AUB Grand Bank Auburn Stained Pendant · More Info
    angolson17 thanked rinked
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    Your space has something victorian-tudor-regency to it, keep it simple yet sophisticated.
    Brentwood Regency Estate · More Info

Contemporary Dining Room · More Info

Eclectic Modern Tudor Dining Room · More Info

Traditional Dining Room · More Info

Tributary · More Info

Design/Build Winnetka · More Info
  • PRO
    Design Mode
    10 years ago
    I would gather your cameras, the clock, the map and even throw the Eiffel tower back in because they all connect to the theme of travel. Play with them until you have a pleasing arrangement on the smaller wall.
    I suggested a shelf because I like to rotate things - but I like groveraxle's grouping too.
    I like the Interlocking Circles Chandelier above, mainly because I haven't seen it before, and it offers the antique brassy metalic.
    I love olive green with accents of tangerine, tomato red, butter yellow, cream, eggplant - basically food colours!
  • angolson17
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    For the chandelier, should we go round or rectangular? I do like the idea of antique brassy metallic.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    10 years ago
    rectangle....
    Traditional Dining Room · More Info
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Wrong on the blue? No, I may have the wrong blue, but I still think it wants blue. What I AM wrong on is the light. The Dixon Beat pendant is perfect for this space, but it's not very big, so it will probably require two.
  • angolson17
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    For the big wall that currently has the large Eiffel picture on it, what about these arrangements? (Sorry about the floor, I just arranged them quickly).
  • angolson17
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    One more idea.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Too much! Try just one item, like that large green-toned piece in the last picture flanked by a pair of rustic candle sconces. No clocks please, unless you're timing dinner and want guests to leave early!
  • angolson17
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ha! Love it! I was just trying to show options of pieces I already have. The only grouping I kind of like is the first one that is symmetrical. Does anyone see anything in these pieces that they think I could use for that wall or the other wall? Should the other wall just have the current picture moved to it like groveraxel has shown? I'm not sure about the lights groveraxel-those might be a little too modern from my husband. He likes timeless elegance, which I agree with, since I'm not the best at design :) I'm trying though!
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    10 years ago
    IHere are few choices of mirrors and chandeliers and we have many more at our store. Please visit us at www.essentialsinside.com

We offer free shipping and no sales tax (except Ohio)

Have fun decorating!

Marika

www.essentialsinside.com: aggawak rectangular framed mirror · More Info

www.essentialsinside.com: claudio framed wall mirror · More Info

www.essentialsinside.com: santa cruz rectangular framed wall mirror · More Info

www.essentialsinside.com; round teak root mirror · More Info

www.essentialsinside.com: woodlawn round framed wall mirror · More Info

www.essentialsinside.com: torreano 6 light wooden chandelier · More Info

www.essentialsinside.com: vetraio, 9 light chandelier · More Info

www.essentialsinside.com: vetraio, 6 light chandelier · More Info

www.essentialsinside.com: porano chandelier · More Info
  • User
    10 years ago
    Its good that you acknowleged all your pics now that Houzz is cracking down on legals.
  • J J
    10 years ago
    Name of wall color please? I like what you are doing. Such great advice from houzzers.
  • angolson17
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The green is Valspar signature Homestead Resort olive. Yes all great advice. Thank you all!
  • PRO
    Sarasota FL Real Estate Photographer Rick Ambrose
    10 years ago
    May I suggest a 8+ light white deer antler chandelier; bottom width should be about 2/3rd the width of the table and the distance between the table and lowest part of the chandelier should be a minimum 30" vertical ( so when your guests stand, they don't stab themselves in the face.)

The rustic dining room below in a 1934 Log Cabin features a 19th Century Irish library table in pine - slightly offset in the room to allow better traffic flow - is flanked by 6 Stickley chairs. The flowers are placed in a vintage 8 bottle milk carrier; The fireplace mantel in the background is constructed from an English Cricket Club door; The screen is handmade by Meyda Tiffany. The Persian rug is approx 1930's vintage...The " Hotel California " neon art piece is one of the few produced for Los Angeles area record stores by Warner Records in the late 1970's to promote the release of The Eagle's album....holiday berry decoration garland by pre-prison Martha Stewart.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    I can't really tell the scale of the objects you're arranging on the floor, but those little square mirrors could go away. They don't add anything of interest. A grouping of vintage photographs would be good.

I think the Dixon Beat Pendants are timeless elegance incarnate. But then, I am a fan of simplicity and think a lamp should light and not have a lot of curlicues and dangly things.

Rustic elegance to me says simple, maybe a bit tarnished, saved and cherished (like your vintage cameras). I think you've made a good start, and this will be a beautiful room if you remember to curate carefully and make it a space for special things.
    angolson17 thanked groveraxle
  • PRO
    Lowes of Indian Land, SC
    10 years ago
    I would install (2) chandeliers over the table. Side board on the back wall with two mirrors over it. Find an antique mirror or glass serving tray to place on the sideboard with with varying size glass containers. You can fill the containers seasonally with various items to change up the look. On one end of the sideboard place a larger arrangement of flowers. I have attached some fixtures from one of Lowes websites with some inspiration fixtures.
  • PRO
    Lowes of Indian Land, SC
    10 years ago
    atgstores.com chandelier sku#7574928, mirrors (hang side by side, not up and down) sku#105798521, sideboard sku#10195882
  • PRO
    MantelsDirect.com
    10 years ago
    A traditional wood mantel with green marble surround would look great against those walls (love the color) to add a touch of rustic charm: http://goo.gl/qquGF5