gemmao

What should I put on this wall?

Gemma
10 years ago
This is my living room/dining room. I am in the middle of decorating and the wall is grey, I've not finished all the walls yet as you can see. I have red sofas and grey wallpaper on the opposite wall.
What do you think would look good on this wall? It looks a little bland at the moment!

Comments (79)

• Alice Costa-Sievert
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    The first thing I would do is move the table under the chandelier and hang it lower. I would also put a buffet or console (maybe reclaimed wood) in front of the window. If you're adventurous I would paint the wall an accent color and put a collage of mirrors on the wall. You can find relatively inexpensive and interesting mirrors at thrift stores, antique shops, flea markets and even some of the big box stores.
  • GL Thompson
    10 years ago
    I think the table needs to go under the light fitting
  • stephcara
    10 years ago
    I would first change the direction of the table and also center it under the light fixture. I large mirror would be perfect. You also might consider having your curtains come all the way to the floor, it would really elevate the height of your walls.
  • Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
    10 years ago
    Swap the square table for a round one of similar proportion, but choose a darker, more masculine finish on the wood--or choose steel with a round glass top (not bar height--choose a regular height and keep those chairs). A vintage cabinet with a lamp and leaning art will complete the room. Center the table under that awesome chandelier.
  • PRO
    Next Level Interiors
    10 years ago
    Sounds like you want some color. Bring the red and more color to that side of the room with a large piece of art you love! Let us see to you find
  • PRO
    Clayton Gray Home
    10 years ago
    Great choice for your walls! Try painting the table white or the same gray as your walls (but lacquer) and place under the light fixture. Mirror the entire wall or use a row of 3 large leaning floor mirrors to open the space and add the reflection of natural light. If looking to balance the red, bring in accessories for the dining table. Use a rug like these to differentiate the living/dining space.
    http://www.claytongrayhome.com/item/Hide-Rug-with-Metallic-Silver/1865/p2c62
    http://www.claytongrayhome.com/item/Lucca-Rug/2972/c62
  • Rita Smith
    10 years ago
    I would paint the one wall Georgian brick colour from Benjamin Moore this well help to tie in the sofa. On the other walls you could us a very soft grey or soft beige this will help to balance very think. On the wall with the Georgian brick colour I would add a very large picture of a white or cream flower and only the head of a flower and them add a 1/2 hutch in chocolate brown this will help to balance the floors and tie in the table. It a Great Wall to work with. Good luck
  • dottybex
    10 years ago
    Oww is that beautiful grey wallpaper Laura Ashley? I have that in a spare room in duck egg. I think the wall needs a lovely big mirror to reflect the room bouncing light from those windows making it feel fresh and open. Or maybe a few mirrors hung at different heights....Or how about a photo wall with all your family and friends memories?
  • Mary Farmer
    10 years ago
    A beautiful Mary Farmer painting. Www.maryfarmer.com
  • PRO
    PoshMunda Ltd
    10 years ago
    I totally agree that you should align your table to the chandelier, put up a collage of black and white framed photographs on the grey wall then paint the adjacent wall a brick red colour to tie in the sofa. you may also want to bring in a shelving storage unit in the dinning area to store and also display your china wares stylishly. this will help to take care of the blandness of the space and make it more intimate.
  • PRO
    PoshMunda Ltd
    10 years ago
    A glass shelf like this one brings character to the dinning space
  • teadotoz
    10 years ago
    A huge unframed painting would work great too! You could also save and buy a fit to size poster and fix it onto some board so it sits slightly off the wall like a canvas.
  • Joan GRAFF
    10 years ago
    Stagger 3 floating shelves. Can put picture on shelf and other decor on other shelves.
  • Heather
    10 years ago
    You mentioned the black and white photos of your kids-- how about doing a large floating frame gallery wall using picture wire. You can mix and match frames and bring in a pop of color here and there (not overdone) to balance color.

I have a wire system like the one pictured- got it at Ikea and installed it myself. If you make sure to install it in the studs and get the wire tight enough, it can take quite a bit of weight.
  • PRO
    Robin Lechner Designs
    10 years ago
    An inexpensive fix is to paint the wall and the adjacent wall in a dark gray with a textured (suede) or metallic finish. Get a sparkly chandelier that will make the walls shimmer at night. The two gray photos feature walls one a metallic wall and the other a suede finish.
  • PRO
    Robin Lechner Designs
    10 years ago
    One more thing... center the ceiling fixture in the room, and place the table underneath. The lowest point of the chandelier should be 30-36" above the table. You can also hang a large piec of art on the wall.
  • dempsey2012
    10 years ago
    I am not sure about the mirror suggestions. What does a mirror have to do with a dining room? Since the area is open concept, some definition of the space to delineate it as a dining room seems appropriate. Storage that allows for display of beautiful dinnerware and serving pieces can have both practical and decorative functions. Colour and interest as well as a place to set food and drink are integral to a dining room. You could also add a table lamp on low voltage for a more intimate option when dining.

Your room could use some colour/warmth so an area rug could help. As well, I do not think the chandelier is in keeping with your dining set and you could change it out to something more bold and contemporary that would add interest on its own (with a dimmer switch). Definitely place your dining table under the lighting as previously suggested.

Perhaps you could also consider taking the colour a little deeper at least on one wall. This would add the warmth factor while staying integrated with the rest of the room. Curtains should be floor length to add some formality and depth to the decor.
  • PRO
    GreenBox Art + Culture
    10 years ago
    Hi gemmao, you have such a lovely room! That wallpaper is gorgeous. We love the idea of a gallery wall, and think it looks especially attractive (and unique) to keep your collection interesting by grouping framed photos, prints, mementos, and incorporating even stretched canvas art and pretty plates, etc. Here are some examples: http://www.greenboxart.com/2013/11/gallery-walls-with-greenbox-art-prints-2/

To bring more color to the room, you could consider some of these pieces to group with your photos: http://www.greenboxart.com/store/art-prints/black-rose-1.html or something personalized http://www.greenboxart.com/store/art-prints/it-s-a-date-linen.html , http://www.greenboxart.com/store/art-prints/it-s-a-circus-in-here.html, and throw in a canvas http://www.greenboxart.com/store/creamery.html

We also agree that some interesting lighting would be a great addition. Here's a fun red, monogrammed lamp:
    GreenBox Art + Culture Lamps · More Info

But, please take a look at our site - we've got loads more styles and products if I haven't quite nailed your taste with these pieces. We have so many different artists and tons of different styles, you're sure to get some inspiration. Happy decorating!
  • Gemma
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you so much everyone, I love all the wonderful ideas. As much as I would love to move the dining table and lower the light, it just can't be done, I tried it. Our door into the hallway (the only door in the living room) is in the way.
    This is what I love and would really like to put it on the wall behind the dining table. I am maybe thinking of a roman blind with red and grey and matching cushion covers, just to try and add some colour to that side of the room, but I keep changing my mind. I am far to indecisive!! I love the idea of a big mirror, I am just a bit worried about having too much on the walls, I don't want it to look too bare but then again I don't want it to look too much!
  • merrigay
    10 years ago
    GreenBox, thank you, thank you for the link. I found so many things I love, it's going to be so much fun browsing before I can decide what to order.
  • PRO
    GreenBox Art + Culture
    10 years ago
    Thanks, merrigay! Love to hear it. Let us know if we can be of any help.
  • Gemma
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Greenbox, I love your ideas! Will e browsing your website!
  • dafancynancy62
    10 years ago
    Hard to tell if your table is square or rectangular but I would center it more into the room giving easy access to all the chairs and then swag the fixture over it (and have it hanging a bit lower). Since it appears to match the one in the living room giving it a little different treatment will make it more interesting. I would put a large single piece of art on that wall...something with basically a white background that has shades of black, grey, red, pink, and a pop of yellow. The larger the better. A rug would be nice because it adds texture and warmth. Have you considered sliding the red sofa that separates the LR and DR over to the drape? Changing access to the LR closer to the hallway door. Then when one comes through the hall door access to either area is available immediately and you aren't walking into a wall (the sofa) to get to the LR
  • lcaciola
    10 years ago
    karemore55-Where do I find rug #1? Love it!
  • PRO
    Dezign With a Z
    10 years ago
    Why not adding a black and white wall mural? Or a wall decal with your own family photos? Also, if you are looking for something personalized, a custom wall decal would definitely make a great statement on that blank wall.

http://www.dezignwithaz.com/venice-wall-paper-p-1742.html
    http://www.dezignwithaz.com/scribble-frames-pack-decals-p-10361.html
    http://www.dezignwithaz.com/venitian-acrylic-miror-vinyl-p-1237.html
    http://www.dezignwithaz.com/fairy-memory-tree-decals-p-13081.html
  • Heather
    10 years ago
    gemmao, if that's what you'd like to do, go for it! The nice thing about a wall like that is that you can start at the middle and add photos until it looks just right. If you add a row too many, no problem, just take it down. Using a rail system would make it even easier because of not having to line up nail holes but if you like the wall hung look, do it.

Sometimes I think the hardest things about these dillemas is not getting overwhelmed by all of the great options you're given!
  • Heather
    10 years ago
    Oh, and someday, if you need to have an electrician over for any reason, it would be a simple enough job for him/her to move that fixture. Then it is a ceiling patch and a paint touch up to have the lighting in a place that makes sense for your room. Changing it out for a chain fixture that you could swag over wouldn't even require an electrician.
  • Gemma
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Marenal I totally get where you are coming from there, so many good ideas I want to use all of them! The room is quite long but also small and as our furniture is quite big I don't want too much on the walls but love the idea of a photo wall. Where my other sofa is which is in an alcove I have a bare wall. I used to have picture shelves there in black which looked great but I'm not sure if I have a photo wall whether having another one would look a little odd!
  • Heather
    10 years ago
    Cute babies! I can see why you want them decorating your walls :) I think one wall is better than two- it is more a statement then. I also think whether you go with shelves (like those above), or wall mounted like your inspiration pics above depends on what style you are going for. Shelves are "homier" and more casual. Wall hung are more "statement art" and can be more formal/glam. Given your wallpaper on the opposite walls and the crystal chandeliers, I think the wall hanging gallery fits your current set up but only you know what you like the best!
  • Gemma
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Marenal, thank you, I think the gallery wall will look great. I am definitely going to go for that! I just need to think about what I put on the other walls. As you can see from my pictures I put on this discussion they are pretty bare now since I've decorated. I don't want to go overboard but I don't want it to look half done either.
  • hebatalla1987
    10 years ago
    First: paint this wall with a bold color or multicolors
    Second: put a simple wall art
    Like one of those and you can find more paints idea here in Houzz
  • PRO
    SF Interiors Inc.
    10 years ago
    First - would center the table and then paint the back wall an accent color/wallcover/textural material and then If you have something great to reflect a mirror would be great... otherwise a large artwork (whether it be a dyptych (two pieces) or tryptych (three pieces)
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Turn the table around so the wide end is facing the room. Add art, not a mirror, for interest and color.
  • Brenda Hurley
    10 years ago
    Mirror to scale, possibly flanked by sconces.
  • Alice Costa-Sievert
    10 years ago
    Here are some pictures of unique mirrors. They don't have to be so unusual they can be all different shapes and sizes just be sure to lay them out on the floor or a bed to get an idea of how they will look on the wall before you start nailing :)
  • gracia_s
    10 years ago
    Write your favourite poem (verse, text,...) in your fav. colours? Or let it print on the wall?
  • Alice Costa-Sievert
    10 years ago
    Some grouping ideas. Sky's the limit :)
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    @Icaciola, That rug is the Turin indoor-outdoor rug from Ballard Designs :)
  • User
    10 years ago
    School map
  • Alice Costa-Sievert
    10 years ago
    I just saw your post about not being able to move the table, is there any way that you could put a chandelier over the table and get rid of the one that is there? Also by moving the table and placing a small console or table in front of the window it would help make the radiator disappear. Definitely try to incorporate some of the red from the couches into that part of the room. Accent pieces and lamps along with artwork and paint would definitely help.
  • kaydow
    10 years ago
    I am for the gallery wall, maybe put a wallpaper or painted rectangle with some red in it, to be the backdrop for your gallery pics. Pay attention to scale on pic size/frame, not too small. The swag to put light in the middle is a good way to go, and something red on the table or slipcover the chairs with a print.
  • PRO
    David Lalush Photography
    10 years ago
    A large acrylic mounted photo would look great in a space like that: http://www.lalush.com/cprints/
  • Alice Costa-Sievert
    10 years ago
    Have you thought of staining or painting your table in an espresso or black? You can also do the chair legs.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Maybe paint it a tan or red
  • User
    10 years ago
    Use tricks to make the room look bigger. Blue is a receding colour. Mirrors increase perceived space. Move the light.
  • lcaciola
    10 years ago
    karemore55- Thanks!
  • Gemma
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you everyone for the brilliant comments. I have more of an idea of what I am aiming for now. I will post a picture when all done!
    Thanks xx
  • User
    10 years ago
    Please do!
  • PRO
    LEICHT New York
    10 years ago
    To make the most of your space and define it, you may want to consider this modular wall system. The cabinetry can be ordered to match the decor of the adjoining rooms. You can add drawers, shelves and even a screen with the wiring hidden. It can be adapted as your needs change. Here are a few photos:
    Style: Paneel · More Info

STYLE: Paneel · More Info

NYC Showroom · More Info

NYC Showroom · More Info

Best of luck! Let us know if you have any questions.
  • danahammel
    10 years ago
    If you would like to use black and white prints of your family maybe you could frame them with painted frames. Like red or fuchsia. Also, if your table is of to the side because of traffic flow issues maybe you can extend the cord of your chandelier and swag it over your table where it is.