mjb124

Remodeling a Second Story Deck

mjb124
10 years ago
The deck is second story aprox.60' long by 12 'wide. It faces South so is unusable in the heat of the summer. The home is a Southern Living design, stucco, and sits on a hill with a fantastic view of the farm and mountains. Sorry to say these are the only pictures I have available. We would like to redo with as low maintenance as possible. The area gets a lot of weather tossed at it! Suggestions PLEASE

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Overseas Hardwoods Co
    10 years ago
    Hello, Did you ever get around to selecting a material for the remodel?
  • mjb124
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    We are planning to use cumaru. Think we will use the cable system for the railings. Have you installed that? My husband prefers the color of the cumaru vs. the ipe. We won't be around by the time either of these products have lived out their longevity!
  • PRO
    Overseas Hardwoods Co
    9 years ago
    You're right about its longevity. You can find Cumaru still in use after 40 years! Although we don't install decks ourselves, we do ship Cumaru decking to homes and project sites throughout the United States.
  • mjb124
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    We would be interested in talking with you!
  • mjb124
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for commenting GN. We will definitely investigate regarding the information you provided!
  • PRO
    Overseas Hardwoods Co
    9 years ago
    We'd be happy to help. Give Chuck Klopp a call at our corporate office. Here's his direct number: 251-330-7702.
  • PRO
    Caribbean International Group, Inc.
    9 years ago
    I would enjoy the opportunity to provide you with a quote as well if you haven't purchased yet.....
  • Nicole
    9 years ago
    Perhaps the Cumaru you like with a clear rail to see out to our gorgeous view:
  • PRO
    Evolve Construction, Inc.
    9 years ago
    I would recommend that you look at the cable rail systems from AGS Stainless Near Seattle. I have purchased many railing packages from them and they always do a great job. I have used Ipe almost exclusively for the past 12 years (the only exotic hardwood readily available in the DC area) and I love it but the down side is the expense of yearly cleaning and staining. A 700 Sq.Ft. deck might run you $1,200 each Spring for a high quality finish that only lasts until October. Personally, I think silvery grey look is very appealing as well. But if you really want the look of finished exotic hardwood but don't want that maintenance I recommend that you take a look at Zuri Brand Premium PVC decking. This product has only been out for a short time, and it is the most expensive product on the market, but there is nothing that comes close to it's beauty and durability oover the life of your deck.
  • PRO
    Caribbean International Group, Inc.
    9 years ago
    Evolve is right if you want to maintain the natural color. Basically I equate the oil to a sunscreen and for 700 sq you'd need about 3 gallons or Messmers or Penofin or Ipe Oil. Roughly $50 per gallon. Obviously it's the labor that's the killer, but it pays to have it done right and the work is in the preparation, application, and removal. It's not just the applying, but wiping off the excess in a timely fashion or you could find yourself having to sand the whole deck. Personally, I'd let it silver out as well, but I do think one application of oil after installing your new deck is a good idea since it will help the wood acclimatize to the local environment. As an aside, Coney Island boardwalk was in place for roughly 60 yrs and wasn't oiled once. When they replaced the Ipe Contractor wrote into his contractor he'd get to keep the old material. He surface planed and has resold it and you can find it all over the web as furniture. As for railings, also check out CR Laurence. I can get you great pricing on that as well since I ship it all over the Caribbean. Evolve give me a shot at your next quote. our name says Caribbean, but we ship all over the world and the US. Everything from a hundred square feet of siding to containers for municipal boardwalks here in the states.